The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Walsh handed 6N finale again

+28
Jimpy
maestegmafia
R!skysports
nobbled
goneagain
blackcanelion
The Saint
Breadvan
nottins_again
SecretFly
fa0019
bedfordwelsh
international197
kiakahaaotearoa
englandglory4ever
nathan
No 7&1/2
aucklandlaurie
WELL-PAST-IT
Cyril
rainbow-warrior
ChequeredJersey
doctor_grey
Scratch
HammerofThunor
lostinwales
Poorfour
GloriousEmpire
32 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Steve Walsh handed 6N finale again Empty Steve Walsh handed 6N finale again

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat 15 Feb 2014, 5:02 pm

On form, the six nations will be a call between unbeaten France and Ireland. The "grand final" will be the last match played and similarly to last years climax between England and Wales, Steve Walsh has been handed the honours.

Surely this is yet a further underlining of the man's status as possibly the finest referee in the world and a continuation of the upward trend in his professional career after his well documented personal issues.

Congratulations Mr Walsh! A truly inspiring tale of personal strength and success - a role model for many no doubt!

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Steve Walsh handed 6N finale again Empty Re: Steve Walsh handed 6N finale again

Post by Poorfour Sat 15 Feb 2014, 5:10 pm

I really hope there was sarcasm dripping from your keyboard as you typed that.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 15 Feb 2014, 5:21 pm

Poorfour wrote:I really hope there was sarcasm dripping from your keyboard as you typed that.

something was..

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Feb 2014, 5:27 pm

Australia's best ref for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Feb 2014, 6:17 pm

Agree Griff. He's really turned his career around since leaving the NZRU and joining the ARU. There must clearly be something toxic going on with NZRU. Well done him.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 15 Feb 2014, 6:46 pm

Walsh is a Kiwi?

I thought, rather like with players from Samoa/Fiji and Tonga playing in NZ, that he was an 'Aussie'.

Seems he became a good ref after he moved to Aus then, probably someone gave him a book at the airport in Sydney:

'Rugby Rucks and How to Referee Them' by J R Hartley.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 15 Feb 2014, 7:13 pm

Walsh is the best referee in which part of the Outback?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 15 Feb 2014, 7:14 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Walsh is the best referee in which part of the Outback?

I was just wondering what kind of sport he is the best referee in?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 15 Feb 2014, 7:22 pm

lostinwales wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Walsh is the best referee in which part of the Outback?

I was just wondering what kind of sport he is the best referee in?

Well as he gave Wales points after Jones yanked Marler and Mako to the ground by the arm mid scrum, I imagine he could be an excellent judo official...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 15 Feb 2014, 9:30 pm

SH ref's have no place in the 6 Nations, they are better suited to the Super 15 Basketball style of union where errors are ignored for the sake of free flowing rubbish.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Feb 2014, 10:25 pm

I reckon Owens would make a good S15 ref, he seems like a good ref that could cope. Maybe some other NH refs could have a crack at the S15 and expand their horizons and fitness levels.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 15 Feb 2014, 11:38 pm

Oh dear…NZ uber arrogance on show again. Sure he could cope, he would let the game flow and ignore the rules which has been the basis of S15 refereeing for years!  laughing 

Owens is the best ref in the world by a country mile, what does AUs/Kiwi have to offer, Walsh. Nuff said

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat 15 Feb 2014, 11:50 pm

He will also be calling the England v Wales game again, but this time from the sideline.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 15 Feb 2014, 11:52 pm

ebop wrote:I reckon Owens would make a good S15 ref, he seems like a good ref that could cope. Maybe some other NH refs could have a crack at the S15 and expand their horizons and fitness levels.

Doubt Owens would want to drop in standard to be honest.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 16 Feb 2014, 12:03 am

Oh c'mon guys, not another "my dad is bigger than yours" Wee weeing contest.

The point is Walsh has battled back from
Some serious personal issues that would often consume a person and is now on top of his profession. We should be saluting this and not getting into a nationalistic stone throwing contest.

It's great to see how rugby has enabled this personal transformation.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Feb 2014, 1:28 am

Point taken GE

I think Walsh is on a good path and I salute him for having the humility and strength to achieve what he's done since the dark days. He was always the young talented whipper snapper ref amongst the bald older men in the ref profession in NZ and since him there's been a hat full of youngsters that have taken up the role. A young ref is not so uncommon these days.

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 16 Feb 2014, 4:01 am

I do agree that it would be good for the game to get some NH refs acclimatised to high tempo rugby by involving them in the super rugby and maybe our guys might spend some time in the NH club comps, it would have to help arriving at consistent interpretations of ruck laws for example.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 16 Feb 2014, 11:06 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:I do agree that it would be good for the game to get some NH refs acclimatised to high tempo rugby by involving them in the super rugby and maybe our guys might spend some time in the NH club comps, it would have to help arriving at consistent interpretations of ruck laws for example.
Walsh beat his addiction, as best we know. Not sure if he has come to terms with all his demons, however. The problem with Walsh is that he has the potential to be a terrific referee, and sometimes actually shows it.

I do agree it is important for referees in the 4 big leagues and any others with potential to rotate through each league. This would expose them to all styles of Rugby and would go a long way toward standardising interpretations of rucks, forward passes, etc. globally. Very simply, it is the right thing to do.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sun 16 Feb 2014, 11:16 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:I do agree that it would be good for the game to get some NH refs acclimatised to high tempo rugby by involving them in the super rugby and maybe our guys might spend some time in the NH club comps, it would have to help arriving at consistent interpretations of ruck laws for example.

We have basketball in the NH and NH refs are as if not fitter than SH ones.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 16 Feb 2014, 11:24 am

If the results go with home wins next weekend it's unlikely to be the 'finale'.

Good luck to Walsh with his ongoing battle in having most pristine haircut on the pitch. Hopefully the weather will improve enough to ensure he doesn't suffer a setback.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun 16 Feb 2014, 12:54 pm

Walsh may have conquered his addictions, but he still needs to conquer his inability to ref impartially and consistently.

A few days with a good scrummaging coach actually showing him the things that front rows get up to would not be amiss. Maybe have a master class with 6 or so refs at a time actually scrummaging against each other under instruction from a just retired bad boy prop or hooker. Nothing like personal experience to help people learn.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 16 Feb 2014, 6:04 pm

Surely the IRB must sit down and try and work out what is the most important games(s) being played each weekend.its hardly rocket science, and appoint the best referee(s) in the World to those fixtures.

Their inability to grasp this basic task,culminates in us seeing games like last year when teams ranked 1 and 2 are given some utterly incompetent fool of a referee not only does it embarass the game,it insults the intelligence of professional coaches/players and viewing audience.

Steve Walsh is a very good referee with a good feeling for the game and empathy with what the players are trying to do.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 16 Feb 2014, 8:43 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Steve Walsh is a very good referee with a good feeling for the game and empathy with what the players are trying to do.

In that case he must really hate us English

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 16 Feb 2014, 9:01 pm

To be fair he has got better since he became Australian. I'll have to leave there.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 16 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Surely the IRB must sit down and try and work out what is the most important games(s) being played each weekend.its hardly rocket science, and appoint the best referee(s) in the World to those fixtures.

Their inability to   grasp this basic task,culminates in us seeing games like last year when teams ranked 1 and 2 are given some utterly incompetent fool of a referee  not only does it embarass the game,it insults the intelligence of professional  coaches/players and viewing audience.

are we talking about a different Steve Walsh?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Sun 16 Feb 2014, 9:30 pm

The op is a mischievous WUM. Designed to inflame and infuriate the English. GE has issues. He should consider making himself available to the NHS as a sample for laboratory testing.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 16 Feb 2014, 9:32 pm

nathan wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Their inability to   grasp this basic task,culminates in us seeing games like last year when teams ranked 1 and 2 are given some utterly incompetent fool of a referee  not only does it embarass the game,it insults the intelligence of professional  coaches/players and viewing audience.

are we talking about a different Steve Walsh?

That is just it. I know I mention Tom Young's last scrum in THAT game every time Walsh comes up, but the English forwards wanted to scrum, and he showed sooooo much empathy that he penalised them for what, to all intents and purposes, appeared to be the sin of missing the mark by a few inches

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 16 Feb 2014, 10:06 pm

If they missed it, then it's a penalty. Not sure what the complaint is.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 16 Feb 2014, 10:25 pm

To build on this who is the next ref to come through the NZ system. I heard they were promoting a few ethnic minorities I in British speak) through their system. Who's the next 1 through the ranks?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 16 Feb 2014, 10:27 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:If they missed it, then it's a penalty. Not sure what the complaint is.

you know full well what the complaint is. Walsh seemed to get frustrated because the players didn't know what he wanted of them. But you can't blame the players when he didn't explain and was starting to throw a tantrum instead.

All this flies in the face of him supposedly showing "empathy" towards the players.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 16 Feb 2014, 10:34 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:To build on this who is the next ref to come through the NZ system. I heard they were promoting a few ethnic minorities I in British speak) through their system. Who's the next 1 through the ranks?

What did you think of Glenn Jackson?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 16 Feb 2014, 10:34 pm

I think you don't get what "empathy" for the game is. If players are mucking around on the engage then they need to be penalised sonthey sort it out.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 16 Feb 2014, 10:37 pm

nathan wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:If they missed it, then it's a penalty. Not sure what the complaint is.

you know full well what the complaint is. Walsh seemed to get frustrated because the players didn't know what he wanted of them. But you can't blame the players when he didn't explain and was starting to throw a tantrum instead.

All this flies in the face of him supposedly showing "empathy" towards the players.

I think you need to look at it from the perspective of "having empathy with what the players are trying to do"

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 16 Feb 2014, 10:39 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
nathan wrote:

I think you need to look at it from the perspective of "having empathy with what the players are trying to do"

Rugby is difficult to ref, if he doesnt communicate well and try and work with the players then it will fail. Simple as that.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 16 Feb 2014, 10:40 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:To build on this who is the next ref to come through the NZ system. I heard they were promoting a few ethnic minorities I in British speak) through their system. Who's the next 1 through the ranks?

I think he's pretty good, he's certainly reffed games when i've seen him. I honestly think ex players are the way forward for refs.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 16 Feb 2014, 10:41 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Don't think I've come across him. Is he from Maori stock?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 16 Feb 2014, 10:47 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Used to play for Sarries

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 16 Feb 2014, 10:51 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Yes, a former Maori All Black, played for Sarracens, Touchy for Wales v Italy and Ireland v Wales.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 16 Feb 2014, 11:14 pm

Laurie,
I think it will be difficult to find many people from any of the 6 Nations who have a good thing to day about Walsh (outside of having nice hair). Many people are uncomfortable seeing him on the roster as referee for their team's matches. It is not a single nation, although the English do have their own particular distaste for him. And everyone cannot be wrong. Quite simply he is a very divisive personality.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 17 Feb 2014, 12:34 am

Over the years Walsh has attended many training sessions of teams when he has been invited, not only training (informally) with the team but also giving players & coachs the opportunity to ask questions or give explanations.

Maybe a lot of fans dont get to see this side of Walsh, and perhaps he can come across as devisive, he does try to keep penalties to a minimum, and would be one of the more noticeable refs to not award peanlties when the offence is not directly affecting play but if the offending is undermining the game, he will penalise a team off the park. he is as much a game manager as a referee.

He does have a unique style, sure, but do people really prefer to have Roman Poite? Biltong doesnt have to reply to that question.

Last edited by aucklandlaurie on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 17 Feb 2014, 12:46 am

Walsh would be fine if not for that referring of that scrummaging...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 17 Feb 2014, 2:53 am

Laurie,
Not sure it would help if people knew Walsh spent time with teams in training or doing other things to help teams understand his decisions.  People are simply reacting to what they see on the pitch.  And to many people he appears to have an act of his own on the pitch rather than simply a bit of personality.  You have read the comments from this thread and over the years.  Leaving aside the more emotional and extreme ones, he still rubs people the wrong way.  His performance combined with his quirky behaviour lead people to question both his consistency and impartiality.  I don't think I have ever heard these kinds of comments about any other referee, including the esteemed Mr. Referee Poite.  Though to be fair, the esteemed Mr. Poite does elicit quite a few other comments.  From my two or three trips per year to Toulon, I can tell you Mr. Poite is fairly unpopular there.  Even the commentators get in the occasional shot on the French language Top 14 broadcasts.  

It's good you see Walsh in a different light.  Shows he can impress.  Strange bird, no?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 17 Feb 2014, 5:28 am

I think English fans in general are tarnished against Walsh due to the British media campaign against him, originating during the 2003 RWC incident.

In that episode Walsh was initially bang to rights as England ignored match protocols to sneak on a 16th man. England were arrogant and thought they were more important than the laws of the game, ignoring Walsh as an official. He took offence and over-reacted. It's a shame he did so, because his behaviour allowed England to divert attention from their bully-boy behaviour on that occasion and allowed their media to paint Walsh as "anti-English" when in fact he was more "pro-rugby" and "pro-regulations".

He should merely have flagged and waited patiently and then let the referee know the exact point in time that England broke the laws - which would have involved the game being brought back for a penalty to samoa - probably costing England a 10 point difference in a close-ish game.

Now my bet is that calm behaviour would have set the British media on their own team's back rather than walsh's.

A lesson he has no doubt learned.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Mon 17 Feb 2014, 5:42 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Care to tell us which game?? Because if you are accusing Nigel Owens of this you have little intelligence and are just talking through your >>>> .
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 17 Feb 2014, 5:46 am

Think he was referring to Poite rainbow and the first yellow card.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Mon 17 Feb 2014, 5:49 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Think he was referring to Poite rainbow and the first yellow card.

I was hoping that was the case Smile An apology.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 17 Feb 2014, 5:57 am

Good on ya mate.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Feb 2014, 5:59 am

You guys sure are a little over-sensitive about your precious Welsh ref.

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Mon 17 Feb 2014, 6:00 am

At this point in time, the France v Ireland game certainly isn't the 'final' of the 2014 SN Championship, IMO.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 17 Feb 2014, 6:21 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Care to tell us which game??  Because if you are accusing Nigel Owens of this you have little intelligence and are just talking through your >>>> .

I think everyone else in the World knows which game I was referring to, I didnt want to specify in case Biltong became nauseous, but to give you a hint, in this thread  we are talking about the game Wales v England  coming up shortly, what on earth Nigel Owens has got to do with that, then only you would know.

By the way my intelligence is fine.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next