The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Detective

+13
bluestonevedder
jimbohammers
tomfinneywalksonwater
Galted
incontinentia
XR
liverbnz
TopHat24/7
JDizzle
compelling and rich
Brys
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

True Detective - Page 2 Empty True Detective

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 24 Feb 2014, 1:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

This started on Sky Atlantic on Saturday night.

The premise is a trusted one, two mismatched cops, played by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, with damaged private lives, are thrust together without much choice. Nothing new there, but I thought the first episode was really, really promising. It is quite dark and menacing and looks like it will carry on in this vein. The story is relayed by the detectives 17 years after the first murder is uncovered. They have obviously led very different lives over the 17 years and I think the show will be as much about what has happened to them as is will be about the murder investigations. I don't generally watch 'cop' shows but this one (much like The Bridge) looks to have something a bit special about it especially with the two main characters.

It is pretty unusual to have two A-listers in a show like this but they are both excellent. Matthew McConaughey, in particular, was pretty brilliant straight away. His character clearly has more depth than Harrelson's but they are both superb.

Did anyone see it?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

True Detective - Page 2 Empty Re: True Detective

Post by MIG Wed 24 Sep 2014, 2:26 pm

RanjitPatel wrote:The exact same was probably thought of the actors in the first series and look how that turned out.

Give it a chance.

Actually I thought the line up for last season was amazing before it started.  Its what made me watch it.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Sep 2014, 4:52 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Doubt it.

Seen enough of Farrell to know he can't act much and VV is a great comic actor but that's where his skill lies, cannot see him for drama.
Funniest/sad, tragic and life endingly ridiculous line ever

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 25 Sep 2014, 8:31 am

RanjitPatel wrote:The exact same was probably thought of the actors in the first series and look how that turned out.

Give it a chance.

MM maybe 5 years ago but he'd more than proven himself recently. And Woody is a ledge, was always going to be interesting to see how well he'd pull the character off, but his capability was always there.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 25 Sep 2014, 8:33 am

DAVE667 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Doubt it.

Seen enough of Farrell to know he can't act much and VV is a great comic actor but that's where his skill lies, cannot see him for drama.
Funniest/sad, tragic and life endingly ridiculous line ever

'Great' maybe pushing it, certainly not a legend, but very good and definitely has his niche.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 25 Sep 2014, 11:03 am

You have to wait and see with these things, if many years ago someone had told you John Travolta could play a smacked out hit man you'd have found it pretty hard to believe, particularly if you'd ever seen Look Who's Talking, but he was brilliant in Pulp Fiction. Sometimes casting against type can work really well. VV is obviously a bit out of left field, but based on the first series I am going to trust the makers know what they are doing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 25 Sep 2014, 1:15 pm

A lot of the Breaking Bad cast have backgrounds in stand up comedy and the like. Vince Gilligan was of the opinion that comedy actors performed well in dramatic roles but it didn't work the other way round.

Farrell has trouble with accents but other than that he's a solid choice. Thought he was great in Tigerland and Phone Box.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Thu 30 Oct 2014, 11:24 am

Taylor Kitsch has been confirmed for the second season, I think he's really good and having also been in my favourite TV show, I think he's a good addition.

Supposedly there is four main characters in this season, so one more up for grabs, which I think will be a role for a woman-Elisabeth Moss from Mad Men seems the big rumour at the moment.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 28 Nov 2014, 9:14 am

Well, watched the final episode last night.

Story was great.
Thought the writing was good to.

All in all a good series.

Great acting, will take a lot to better WH & MM.

Look forward to season 2.

Farrel & Vaughn will be decent I think.

Taylor Kitsch is a good actor.

Was good in Lone Survivor.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2