The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

+14
Strongback
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Stella
Mind the windows Tino.
TopHat24/7
superflyweight
sodhat
guildfordbat
Hoggy_Bear
TRUSSMAN66
seanmichaels
Galted
Rowley
Cass1234
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Cass1234 Mon 24 Feb - 19:35

First topic message reminder :

Simple question really.. Who is the greatest actor never to have won an Oscar?? For me it has to be Leonardo Dicaprio.  I think he is by far the standout actor of his generation, and think always takes different and challenging roles. I think for he must surely win one in the next 10-15 years, it would be criminal for a man that has had so many great performances, not to have won one. I think maybe in the end they will just give him a token one ala Scorsese for The Departed..  Anyway thoughts?

Cass1234

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-11-22
Age : 32
Location : Leicester

Back to top Go down


Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Feb - 16:56

Cass1234 wrote:In recent years I think Daniel Day Lewis, Foreest Whitiker and Jamie Foxx have all won impersonating someone else !!

Don't forget Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote. Theory is looking shakier with every passing moment.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Guest Tue 25 Feb - 16:57

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Frank Langella should have got one for playing Nixon.  He was incredible.  I don't know who won it that year but it must have been some performance to be better than Langella's.  Mesmerising stuff.

William Petersen or Brian Cox should have got one for Manhunter.  Time has reflected kindly on that film and they were both superb in it.
Didn't buy Petersen's portrayal of Will Graham any more than Edward Norton's in Red Dragon. Red Dragon is infinitely superior to Silence of the Lambs and no-one has done it justice The trouble with the film is that the majority of the deduction is done inside Graham's head and to watch a character walking around giving an external monologue just seems wrong. That a-hole, Robson Green does it in Wire in the Blood and it sounds ridiculous.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 25 Feb - 16:58

DAVE667 wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Frank Langella should have got one for playing Nixon.  He was incredible.  I don't know who won it that year but it must have been some performance to be better than Langella's.  Mesmerising stuff.

William Petersen or Brian Cox should have got one for Manhunter.  Time has reflected kindly on that film and they were both superb in it.
Didn't buy Petersen's portrayal of Will Graham any more than Edward Norton's in Red Dragon. Red Dragon is infinitely superior to Silence of the Lambs and no-one has done it justice The trouble with the film is that the majority of the deduction is done inside Graham's head and to watch a character walking around giving an external monologue just seems wrong. That a-hole, Robson Green does it in Wire in the Blood and it sounds ridiculous.


He was way better than Norton who spent most of the time pouting and looking confused.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 19297
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : Outside there's a box car waiting, outside the family stew. Out by the fire breathing, outside we wait till face turns blue. I know the nervous walking, I know the dirty beard hangs. Out by the box car waiting, take me away to nowhere plans. There is a wait so long (so long, so long). You'll never wait so long. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius. Here comes Julius.

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb - 17:00

Rowley wrote:
Cass1234 wrote:In recent years I think Daniel Day Lewis, Foreest Whitiker and Jamie Foxx have all won impersonating someone else !!

Don't forget Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote. Theory is looking shakier with every passing moment.

hmmmm very shaky, so basically 50% of recent best actor winners over the past 10 years have been an impersonation of someone else... enough said I think!

Cass1234

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-11-22
Age : 32
Location : Leicester

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb - 17:01

I agree Norton was pants...........I think Norton is the most charisma-less actor I've ever seen........

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 39582
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Feb - 17:02

Cass1234 wrote:
Rowley wrote:
Cass1234 wrote:In recent years I think Daniel Day Lewis, Foreest Whitiker and Jamie Foxx have all won impersonating someone else !!

Don't forget Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote. Theory is looking shakier with every passing moment.

hmmmm very shaky, so basically 50% of recent best actor winners over the past 10 years have been an impersonation of someone else... enough said I think!

In all fairness this years nominees support the theory pretty much wholeheartedly.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Guest Tue 25 Feb - 17:03

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I agree Norton was pants...........I think Norton is the most charisma-less actor I've ever seen........
However hasn't he been nominated a number of times for things like "Primal Fear" etc?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb - 17:06

Rowley wrote:The winner that year puts that theory on shaky ground Truss!

You are spot on.................Albeit a minor figure in regards to the other two................But you are right........


TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 39582
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb - 17:10

Has Clint Eastwood ever won for his acting?? Not that I am particularly enamoured with his acting skills like many are..

Cass1234

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-11-22
Age : 32
Location : Leicester

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Guest Tue 25 Feb - 17:18

Cass1234 wrote:Has Clint Eastwood ever won for his acting?? Not that I am particularly  enamoured with his acting skills like many are..
Name them.....Eastwood basically plays a different version of Dirty Harry. Don't get me wrong Eastwood is/was great but versatility isn't his strong point.

The only thing he ever did that was remotely "out there" was "Bridges of Madison County" and I like to think that was Dirty harry having had his drink spiked with acid but instead of headbutting TRUSSMAN (like everyone should try to do at least once in their life) he went all flowery. In the Director's Cut, when the effects wore off, he shot Streep in the face, blew up the bridge and killed fourteen sheep by just staring at them. Even Chuck Norris was mildly perturbed.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb - 17:28

DAVE667 wrote:
Cass1234 wrote:Has Clint Eastwood ever won for his acting?? Not that I am particularly  enamoured with his acting skills like many are..
Name them.....Eastwood basically plays a different version of Dirty Harry. Don't get me wrong Eastwood is/was great but versatility isn't his strong point.

The only thing he ever did that was remotely "out there" was "Bridges of Madison County" and I like to think that was Dirty harry having had his drink spiked with acid but instead of headbutting TRUSSMAN (like everyone should try to do at least once in their life) he went all flowery. In the Director's Cut, when the effects wore off, he shot Streep in the face, blew up the bridge and killed fourteen sheep by just staring at them. Even Chuck Norris was mildly perturbed.

I could list them.. but to be honest mate don't think you'd know them. Laugh 

Agreed he does play a different version of Dirty Harry, which Im not the biggest fan of anyway...Think the only film I've really enjoyed watching him in was Million Dollar Baby.

Cass1234

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-11-22
Age : 32
Location : Leicester

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb - 17:32

Play Misty for me.........He was a mild mannered DJ.........

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 39582
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Guest Wed 26 Feb - 10:26

Who would shoot you in the face if you asked for a record he didn't like. He held it together with gossamer strands. Once he handed over to the breakfast crew he was out killing homeless people.

Million Dollar Baby.... Harry Callaghan, runs a boxing gym.

My favourite Eastwood films (outside of the "classics") are "In the Line of Fire" and "Heartbreak Ridge"

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 26 Feb - 10:38

Heartbreak ridge ??.........For a minute there I thought you had good taste.

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 39582
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Stella Wed 26 Feb - 10:41

Million Dollar Baby was pants. In The Line Of Fire on the other hand was good, and tbh, he role wasn't really a dirty harry. More like slightly dirty. He played the piano for a start.

Give me an eastwood spaghetti western please.
Stella
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Guest Wed 26 Feb - 10:43

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Heartbreak ridge ??.........For a minute there I thought you had good taste.
The Americans go in and blow some sh!t up, claim a moral victory and the hero gets the girl/old woman. Thought it would be the film version of your life, Beefster

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Galted Wed 26 Feb - 10:48

DAVE667 wrote:
Cass1234 wrote:Has Clint Eastwood ever won for his acting?? Not that I am particularly  enamoured with his acting skills like many are..
Name them.....Eastwood basically plays a different version of Dirty Harry. Don't get me wrong Eastwood is/was great but versatility isn't his strong point.


What utter rubbish!  He wears a hat in some films and not others.  He rides a horse in some films and not others.  He shoots people with a rifle in some films and a handgun in others.  He grimaces more in some films than others.  He chews tobacco in some films and not others.
Galted
Galted
Galted
Galted

Posts : 13688
Join date : 2011-10-31
Location : not the wi-fi password

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Guest Wed 26 Feb - 11:07

Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Cass1234 wrote:Has Clint Eastwood ever won for his acting?? Not that I am particularly  enamoured with his acting skills like many are..
Name them.....Eastwood basically plays a different version of Dirty Harry. Don't get me wrong Eastwood is/was great but versatility isn't his strong point.


What utter rubbish!  He wears a hat in some films and not others.  He rides a horse in some films and not others.  He shoots people with a rifle in some films and a handgun in others.  He grimaces more in some films than others.  He chews tobacco in some films and not others.
It's a rare thing when I'm A/ Wrong B/ Proved wrong and C/ Willing/happy to admit it....how glad I am that it's you Galted, who is the one to point out the glaring errors in my post instead of one of those other unbearably smug c*nts that float around on here.

I look forward to you proving me wrong about my long standing belief that Sean Connery is f*****g s**t.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Galted Wed 26 Feb - 11:11

DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Cass1234 wrote:Has Clint Eastwood ever won for his acting?? Not that I am particularly  enamoured with his acting skills like many are..
Name them.....Eastwood basically plays a different version of Dirty Harry. Don't get me wrong Eastwood is/was great but versatility isn't his strong point.


What utter rubbish!  He wears a hat in some films and not others.  He rides a horse in some films and not others.  He shoots people with a rifle in some films and a handgun in others.  He grimaces more in some films than others.  He chews tobacco in some films and not others.
It's a rare thing when I'm A/ Wrong B/ Proved wrong and C/ Willing/happy to admit it....how glad I am that it's you Galted, who is the one to point out the glaring errors in my post instead of one of those other unbearably smug c*nts that float around on here.

I look forward to you proving me wrong about my long standing belief that Sean Connery is f*****g s**t.

No chance of that, he is a completely talentless c*nt.
Galted
Galted
Galted
Galted

Posts : 13688
Join date : 2011-10-31
Location : not the wi-fi password

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 26 Feb - 11:31

If we are calling actors overrated what about Laurence Olivier !!.....

Boring actor in boring films..........Sleuth was decent because Michael Caine was in it......

Great actor............bollox.

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 39582
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Stella Wed 26 Feb - 11:33

Didn't Connery win an oscar for his role in the untouchables?
Stella
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Galted Wed 26 Feb - 11:35

Stella wrote:Didn't Connery win an oscar for his role in the untouchables?

It was only a matter of time before the thread mentioned worst actor to win an oscar.
Galted
Galted
Galted
Galted

Posts : 13688
Join date : 2011-10-31
Location : not the wi-fi password

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Stella Wed 26 Feb - 11:37

Galted wrote:
Stella wrote:Didn't Connery win an oscar for his role in the untouchables?

It was only a matter of time before the thread mentioned worst actor to win an oscar.

Yep, who were the other candidates that year? Scooby Doo?
Stella
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 26 Feb - 11:42

Give me a not so good actor with bags of charisma.............Than a boring stiff who makes me fall a sleep even though his timing is right..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 39582
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Guest Wed 26 Feb - 11:45

Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Cass1234 wrote:Has Clint Eastwood ever won for his acting?? Not that I am particularly  enamoured with his acting skills like many are..
Name them.....Eastwood basically plays a different version of Dirty Harry. Don't get me wrong Eastwood is/was great but versatility isn't his strong point.


What utter rubbish!  He wears a hat in some films and not others.  He rides a horse in some films and not others.  He shoots people with a rifle in some films and a handgun in others.  He grimaces more in some films than others.  He chews tobacco in some films and not others.
It's a rare thing when I'm A/ Wrong B/ Proved wrong and C/ Willing/happy to admit it....how glad I am that it's you Galted, who is the one to point out the glaring errors in my post instead of one of those other unbearably smug c*nts that float around on here.

I look forward to you proving me wrong about my long standing belief that Sean Connery is f*****g s**t.

No chance of that, he is a completely talentless c*nt.
You are my favourite poster

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Rowley Wed 26 Feb - 12:04

Galted wrote:
Stella wrote:Didn't Connery win an oscar for his role in the untouchables?

It was only a matter of time before the thread mentioned worst actor to win an oscar.

Whilst he is obviously not the worst answer to ever win one, Pacino winning for Scent of a Woman is about as undeserving as it got. Was quite clear someone on the voting panel just realised they had forgot to give him an award over the last 30 years and thought it needed redressing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Stella Wed 26 Feb - 12:06

Rowley wrote:
Galted wrote:
Stella wrote:Didn't Connery win an oscar for his role in the untouchables?

It was only a matter of time before the thread mentioned worst actor to win an oscar.

Whilst he is obviously not the worst answer to ever win one, Pacino winning for Scent of a Woman is about as undeserving as it got. Was quite clear someone on the voting panel just realised they had forgot to give him an award over the last 30 years and thought it needed redressing.

Thought Washington as Malcolm X should have won it that year.
Stella
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 26 Feb - 12:16

Rowley wrote:
Galted wrote:
Stella wrote:Didn't Connery win an oscar for his role in the untouchables?

It was only a matter of time before the thread mentioned worst actor to win an oscar.

Whilst he is obviously not the worst answer to ever win one, Pacino winning for Scent of a Woman is about as undeserving as it got. Was quite clear someone on the voting panel just realised they had forgot to give him an award over the last 30 years and thought it needed redressing.

Always thought Serpico was his best film..............

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 39582
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Rowley Wed 26 Feb - 12:24

He has made a number better than Scent of a Woman Truss, they do this quite a lot. Gave Newman the Oscar for Colour of Money, kind of like admitting they screwed up not giving it him for the Hustler.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Guest Wed 26 Feb - 12:24

Stella wrote:
Rowley wrote:
Galted wrote:
Stella wrote:Didn't Connery win an oscar for his role in the untouchables?

It was only a matter of time before the thread mentioned worst actor to win an oscar.

Whilst he is obviously not the worst answer to ever win one, Pacino winning for Scent of a Woman is about as undeserving as it got. Was quite clear someone on the voting panel just realised they had forgot to give him an award over the last 30 years and thought it needed redressing.

Thought Washington as Malcolm X should have won it that year.
What? And give an Oscar to someone for basically doing an impersonation of someone else? Perish the thought

Although Idris Elba will be keeping his fingers crossed.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Guest Wed 26 Feb - 12:26

It'd be like giving Kirk Douglas an Oscar for "Tough Guys" but they went the "lifetime achievement" route instead.

Douglas is one of my all-time favourites

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Galted Wed 26 Feb - 12:50

DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Cass1234 wrote:Has Clint Eastwood ever won for his acting?? Not that I am particularly  enamoured with his acting skills like many are..
Name them.....Eastwood basically plays a different version of Dirty Harry. Don't get me wrong Eastwood is/was great but versatility isn't his strong point.


What utter rubbish!  He wears a hat in some films and not others.  He rides a horse in some films and not others.  He shoots people with a rifle in some films and a handgun in others.  He grimaces more in some films than others.  He chews tobacco in some films and not others.
It's a rare thing when I'm A/ Wrong B/ Proved wrong and C/ Willing/happy to admit it....how glad I am that it's you Galted, who is the one to point out the glaring errors in my post instead of one of those other unbearably smug c*nts that float around on here.

I look forward to you proving me wrong about my long standing belief that Sean Connery is f*****g s**t.

No chance of that, he is a completely talentless c*nt.
You are my favourite poster

This is the best thing that's happened to me since I saw silhouetted Ryder side-boob in Bram Stoker's Dracula.  You are my favourite heavy metal enthusiast and serial killer.
Galted
Galted
Galted
Galted

Posts : 13688
Join date : 2011-10-31
Location : not the wi-fi password

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Guest Wed 26 Feb - 13:10

Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Cass1234 wrote:Has Clint Eastwood ever won for his acting?? Not that I am particularly  enamoured with his acting skills like many are..
Name them.....Eastwood basically plays a different version of Dirty Harry. Don't get me wrong Eastwood is/was great but versatility isn't his strong point.


What utter rubbish!  He wears a hat in some films and not others.  He rides a horse in some films and not others.  He shoots people with a rifle in some films and a handgun in others.  He grimaces more in some films than others.  He chews tobacco in some films and not others.
It's a rare thing when I'm A/ Wrong B/ Proved wrong and C/ Willing/happy to admit it....how glad I am that it's you Galted, who is the one to point out the glaring errors in my post instead of one of those other unbearably smug c*nts that float around on here.

I look forward to you proving me wrong about my long standing belief that Sean Connery is f*****g s**t.

No chance of that, he is a completely talentless c*nt.
You are my favourite poster

This is the best thing that's happened to me since I saw silhouetted Ryder side-boob in Bram Stoker's Dracula.  You are my favourite heavy metal enthusiast and serial killer.
The only way this day could get any better is if the head of EE comes into the local Bradford Branch whilst I'm dismembering the ignorant c**t who calls himself the Manager and I get to kill two birds with one stone...almost literally (I have spare bricks...can't be too careful)

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by guildfordbat Wed 26 Feb - 13:42

Rowley wrote:He has made a number better than Scent of a Woman Truss, they do this quite a lot. Gave Newman the Oscar for Colour of Money, kind of like admitting they screwed up not giving it him for the Hustler.

Same thing happened with John Wayne. Turned down as Best Actor in 1949 for Sands of Iwo Jima and then having to wait twenty years to win for True Grit!  Rolling Eyes 

guildfordbat

Posts : 14978
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Guest Wed 26 Feb - 14:33

Never rated John Wayne either (Ghengis Khan anyone?) although "The Shootist" is probably one of his most honest portrayals. There's also a film at the end of Errol Flynn's career where he plays a broken down drunk that meant to be one of his very best performances

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 26 Feb - 14:39

The fella who played Shadrack Dingle in Emmerdale must be up there.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Posts : 4420
Join date : 2011-03-14
Location : Liverpool JFT96 YNWA

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Strongback Thu 27 Feb - 1:42

Al Pacino was in danger of not winning until they threw him one for Scent of a Woman. Kind of like half a sympathy vote and half an apology by the academy. It took him eight nomination to win one.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Cass1234 Thu 27 Feb - 8:08

Same With Scorcese and the Departed.. I think the same will happen with DiCaprio..

Cass1234

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-11-22
Age : 32
Location : Leicester

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by guildfordbat Thu 27 Feb - 12:41

Strongback wrote:Al Pacino was in danger of not winning until they threw him one  for Scent of a Woman. Kind of like half a sympathy vote and half an apology by the academy.  It took him eight nomination to win one.

For such a cut throat business, the sympathy vote has played quite a large part in the Oscars. One of the earliest and most striking examples was when Clarke Gable, looking a nailed on winner for his performance in Gone With The Wind, lost out to the underwhelming Robert Donat (Goodbye Mr Chips). Although he actually lived for another twenty years, Donat was thought to be seriously ill at the time.

guildfordbat

Posts : 14978
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Guest Thu 27 Feb - 14:09

Probably the same reason they gave it to Martin Landau instead of Samuel Jackson

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by kingraf Thu 27 Feb - 15:58

If Idris Elba wins an Oscar for playing Mandela... I would put it as hands down the worst Oscar winning performance in history
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Posts : 16231
Join date : 2012-06-06
Age : 27
Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Davie_J Thu 27 Feb - 16:40

Little TC

Davie_J

Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-04-21

http://www.footballpix.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by compelling and rich Mon 3 Mar - 10:04

cant say ive been a big fan of eastwood, must have missed out on something having not been around at the time. but did think gran torino was a great film

compelling and rich

Posts : 5918
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Guest Mon 3 Mar - 12:51

Having non-actors in the supporting cast really let Gran Torino down...quite apart from it being "Dirty Harry - The Alzheimer Years"

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Datswotuhav Tue 1 Apr - 1:05

T

Datswotuhav

Posts : 1
Join date : 2013-02-04

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 4 Apr - 15:27

I thought Oliver reed in Gladiator stole the movie...........Loved the guy excellent in everything he was in...........Stole the muskateer movie also....

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 39582
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum