The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath vs Saracens match thread

+6
nathan
Scrumpy
LondonTiger
beshocked
twoeightnine
Bathite
10 posters

Go down

Bath vs Saracens match thread Empty Bath vs Saracens match thread

Post by Bathite Thu 27 Feb 2014, 1:19 pm

Bath welcome Saracens to the Rec, in what is probably Borthwick's final visit. Winning this fixture is probably Bath's last and only shot at getting into the top 2.

Bath announce 7 changes from the BP win against Wasps. Ford and Attwood return from England camp, but Wilson is retained by Lancaster. Garvey is the biggest loss from the lineup, following an injury in the previous game. Injury also rules out Captain Hooper and Agulla, with Webber and Joseph still long term absentees.

15. Nick Abendanon 
14. Anthony Watson 
13. Ollie Devoto 
12. Kyle Eastmond 
11. Matt Banahan 
10. George Ford 
9. Peter Stringer 
1. Paul James 
2. Ross Batty 
3. Anthony Perenise 
4. Dominic Day 
5. Dave Attwood 
6. Alafoti Fa'osiliva 
7. Francois Louw ( c ) 
8. Leroy Houston 

Replacements 

16. Eusebio Guinazu 
17. Nathan Catt 
18. Juan Pablo Orlandi 
19. Ryan Caldwell 
20. Guy Mercer 
21. Micky Young 
22. Gavin Henson 
23. Semesa Rokoduguni

Saracens team is as follows, which, despite missing Billy V and Farrell features 12 full internationals in the starting lineup

15. Alex Goode; 
14. David Strettle, 
13. Joel Tomkins, 
12. Brad Barritt, 
11. Chris Wyles; 
10. Charlie Hodgson, 
9. Neil de Kock; 
1. Mako Vunipola, 
2. Schalk Brits, 
3. James Johnston, 
4. Steve Borthwick ©, 
5. George Kruis, 
6. Jackson Wray 
7. Jacques Burger , 
8. Ernst Joubert. 

Replacements; 16. Jamie George, 17. Richard Barrington, 18. Matt Stevens, 19. Eoin Sheriff, 20. Kelly Brown, 21. Richard Wigglesworth, 22. Duncan Taylor, 23. Marcelo Bosch.

A mouth watering game that will have big implications for the league. A win for Saracens all but wraps up 2nd place and gives Quins and Tigers the chance to chase Bath down. A win for Bath will help further secure 3rd and close the gap on Sarries for 2nd.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Bath vs Saracens match thread Empty Re: Bath vs Saracens match thread

Post by twoeightnine Thu 27 Feb 2014, 2:12 pm

A tasty match. I was at the Sarries v Chiefs game on Sunday (I am a Bath supporter) and Sarries don't look like they are quite on all cylinders. They just slowly over powered Exeter who aren't exactly that weak.

Think it will be a tight one as a game between 2nd and 3rd should be. Heart says Bath, head says Sarries by a couple.

On a slight aside I was lucky enough to be on hospitality in Nigel Wray's box on Sunday. What a nice guy and the club and players came across really well. All of them went out of their way to talk to members, shake hands and so on. All the staff from the moment you arrive at the gate onwards are smiling and enthusiastic, the new stand is quite something and the astro pitch is good even if there is something a little odd about players not getting any dirt on them. They are certainly putting a benchmark in there for customer experience.

Obviously I'm not saying anything new here but it highlights just how far behind the wreck is. Obviously better supported and more character but 30 years behind.

Biggest surprise of the day was finding out that Jackson Wray is not related to Nigel.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 27 Feb 2014, 2:17 pm

It does make me feel a bit better that Bath aren't particularly confident at lineout time because it's an area I always feel that Sarries should target the opposition. Especially Joubert at 8, lacks the raw power of Billy but is an extra lineout jumper and generally attacks the opposition lineout.

Scrum - I feel can go either way.

I think it will be close. I like to think Sarries will win but Bath are in better form. I believe if both teams play their best Saracens would win but I cannot see that.

I would unfortunately predict a narrow Bath win with a losing bonus point for Sarries.

twoeightnine glad you enjoyed your trip to Allianz Park. thumbsup  Also glad you had the pleasure to meet Nigel Wray. He's portrayed negatively on these boards but he's a top bloke and a proper sports fan.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 27 Feb 2014, 2:28 pm

Sadly my experience of Allianz was not good. We were in those temporary seats - row 3 - on the side the players come out from, so opposite the main stand. they were sold as Premium tickets (£200 for 3 adults and 3 Children) but we were not informed that the view was restricted (Row 3 is at the same level as Rows 1 and 2 - so impossible for kids to see what is going on, hard for me frankly) nor that it was uncovered. this was the final kickler as it peed it down the entire first half. We had no option but to leave as despite wearing appropriate clothing we were all drenched.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 27 Feb 2014, 2:42 pm

Sorry to hear you did not have a nice experience Londontiger. You should mention something to the Saracens ticket office or whoever you got the tickets from. It's not right if you are getting "premium" tickets for that price.

At Sarries you can get a heavily branded rain cape. I am shocked that they were not selling them on the day. Might look a bit silly in some people's eyes but they keep you dry.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri 28 Feb 2014, 9:45 pm

That's how you win a game of rugby bath, tackle without using your arms, tackle high, take the man out in the air during line outs, lie over the ball all game long, shout at the ref to win penalties, wave your arms at the ref to win penalties.

Bath were taught a few lessons tonight at the Rec, if you want to win the Jeff then you got to learn to play dirty like Sarries.

Well played Sarries anyway.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 28 Feb 2014, 9:52 pm

not feeling sorry for yourself when you lose is another way to win the Aviva.

Getting Banahan to actually dive on the ball is another way.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri 28 Feb 2014, 9:57 pm

And getting banners to get his body into the right position!

but I did say well played Sarries to be fair Nathan,

their defence was awesome but Bath have to learn to rough a team up from time to time oh and take the 3 points when they are on offer.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 28 Feb 2014, 10:10 pm

Scrumpy I agree Sarries were a bit overzealous at times but Bath should have made more of all that possession and territory.

Sarries got punished every time by the ref. You should have made more of it.

Thought Luke Pearce had a good game as ref.

Really impressed by Goode at 10. Nailed every kick, nailed the drop goal and was involved in both tries.

Bath should be pleased with the set piece and sheer amount of territory and possession.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 28 Feb 2014, 10:25 pm

Beshocked you weren't overzealous and please don't feel the need to apologise or defend your style; Sarries level of intensity was outstanding and there may have been the odd penalty, but this is what happens when you're that physical. The only offence that could be even considered dirty was Wyles shoulder tackle, everything else was clearly not intentional.

As much as it pains me to say it but Bath are a really decent side, but Sarries were a different class tonight. As a neutral that was a joy to watch and I have not seen another side get close to that intensity this season.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 28 Feb 2014, 11:23 pm

Saracens were outstanding in defence in this game. Bath made little ground through the forwards and were often pushed back. I did think they pushed at the ruck a bit much (lying on the ball, rolling away slowly, etc) but it was allowed by the ref so it's 'ok'. Considering Bath have put a lot into the forwards this year it was a truly exceptional performance. Good for Goode to get a good game at 10 (too many goods?), although it was a bit of an armchair ride.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 01 Mar 2014, 9:58 am

That was an amazing display from Goode at FH. He's so comfortable in traffic. I think he's the most talented back in English rugby and is wasted at FB. Hopefully Hodgson will play less and Goode will get more opportunities at 10 with Ransom and Earle playing FB. I believe Goode has the ability to be the first choice England FH is if he playing there regularly for his club.

Overall, as Bath said, Sarries are a couple of years ahead. That was very impressive.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sat 01 Mar 2014, 10:55 am

Bath might have lost but I feel you should still take a lot of positives. You created a lot of opportunities, had a lot of ball and territory. Just a lack of accuracy let you down. As both coaches of Sarries and Bath said - you are still building as a squad. Still a very good side- just need a bit more experience/ practice in these big matches.

Sarries showed a very high intensity - it pleased me. They knew they had to because this is a good Bath team. Shows a measure of respect.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sat 01 Mar 2014, 11:02 am

Patronising and condescending comments aside.

We showed some serious naivety and Sarries played the ref very well. A very streetwise performance from them, making all the right moves to get the penalties and play the game they wanted to play it. Looking at the stats, it is almost unfathomable that Bath could lose it, but never mind, at least the performance was so positive

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sat 01 Mar 2014, 1:09 pm

Bathite if you look at the handling stats of Bath it makes more sense why you lost.

I am sorry that you feel like I am being condescending and patronising. That's not my intention. What do you want me to say?

I thought your set piece in general was excellent and caused us a lot of problems at scrum time. In the end you got a penalty try.

Wouldn't say it was as simple as playing the ref. I think you'll find we got punished far more. The difference was being ruthless and taking the points on offer.

Goode nailed every kick and a drop goal - that is ruthless. Ford in comparison missed a relatively straightforward penalty and Bath were very inaccurate in the Sarries 22.

Handling errors cost you dearly.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Mar 2014, 4:44 pm

Sarries handed out a lesson at the breakdown last night and slowed down opposition ball. Bath badly missed the physicality of Fearns and Garvey. Sarries never seem to do anything flash but are extremely efficient and took their opportunities very well. I have noticed a few hookers recently stand virtually in line with their own side when throwing into the lineout and Brits does it very effectively.
In the backs, Bath need a few new ideas as they got no change out of Barritt and Tomkins. Surely a backs coach is needed for attack or do we just rely on endless phases to create a RL gap like everyone else.

Still not convinced about Friday night rugby although the atmosphere was fine but still prefer a Saturday afternoon ko but tv rules the roost.

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 01 Mar 2014, 8:16 pm

KellyBrows get on the pitch? How did he look?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down