The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new Twickenham

5 posters

Go down

The new Twickenham  Empty The new Twickenham

Post by MarcusHalberstram Thu 06 Mar 2014, 1:18 pm

A lot has been written about the improved atmosphere at Twickenham recently – and I understand there were some kind of renovations completed recently (in preparation for the upcoming RWC). Can any posters who’ve been there recently tell me exactly what was done to the place - or how else they’ve tried to enhance the general game-day experience? This is not intended as a wind-up of any kind – I’m just interested to know, since a lot has been made in the media (and on this board) of the improved atmosphere with little in the way of details. Personally, I've always thought the slightly derogatory rep HQ had for atmosphere was undeserved, since it always seemed pretty good the few times I’ve been there.

Also – do we think the Sunday fixture will in any way contribute to a slightly less intense atmosphere than we saw for the Irish game? Personally, I can’t stand Sunday fixtures, and the crowd are almost guaranteed to be less “merry” on a Sunday in any stadium.

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

The new Twickenham  Empty Re: The new Twickenham

Post by propdavid_london Thu 06 Mar 2014, 1:36 pm

Yeah, I'd heard that Twickers was being upgraded too - something about stage 1 having those digital sponsor and message boards around the rim of each tier.
Stage 2 had something to do with free wifi in the stadium too.

I dont think anything that would really add to the atmosphere though. That really comes from the supporters home and away - I'm not surprised that the atmosphere was electric, it normally goes up a grear when the Irish are in town.

If HQ wants to spend money on Twickers it would be nice if they cleaned the old section of the plastic roof to match the new one - bugs the hell out of me every time im there.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 06 Mar 2014, 1:40 pm

Hate Sunday games too. Ireland England games tend to have legendary atmosphere. From an England perspective it was at an Ireland England game that swing low sweet chariot was first sung and the crowd got really behind it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 06 Mar 2014, 1:43 pm

I dont really see how you can improve the atmosphere in stadium with the infrastructure - apart from sticking a roof over the whole place!

Evening matches seem to have a different feel - although I've never been to an evening match at Twickers.
Plenty of concerts there, but the acoustics arent great.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 06 Mar 2014, 1:59 pm

propdavid_london wrote:I dont really see how you can improve the atmosphere in stadium with the infrastructure - apart from sticking a roof over the whole place!

Evening matches seem to have a different feel - although I've never been to an evening match at Twickers.  
Plenty of concerts there, but the acoustics arent great.  

To be fair most sports stadiums arent designed with acoustics in mind - with the exception of the new Wembley which has angled glass on the VIP boxes which is designed to reflect sound in very specific directions. To my mind, there's no good reason to stick a roof on a rugby stadium. Rugby is a winter sport and the elements are factors that each team should have to deal with/play to, rather than having it artifically benign. Its not like tennis which is a summer sport (predominantly in the UK) and events like Wimbledeon can be ruined by poor weather.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Thu 06 Mar 2014, 3:39 pm

Was there for the Ire game and didn't notice any particular upgrades tbh. One thing I did notice was the noise. And I don't mean the crowd, who were friskier than normal, it's true. I mean the unholy racket coming out of the PA. I've been mutton ever since. Next time I'll bring ear-plugs along with my nice woolly England hat.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down