The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The great gig in the sky

+12
rodders
Duty281
BlueCoverman
dyrewolfe
westisbest
TopHat24/7
Stella
Galted
TRUSSMAN66
kingraf
Rowley
ONETWOFOREVER
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The great gig in the sky Empty The great gig in the sky

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:28 pm

First of all I love this song but it always reminds me of old age something I have been thinking about more often recently.

Even at 34 it feels a long way away but I am reminded of it everyday. It looks terrible to be honest. Don't get me wrong I have seen some quite content elderly people but most seem grumpy and resigned to the fact that thier story is coming to an end.

You lose your looks, you're body breaks down, friends and family pass away....wait I'm depressing myself here.

Have you given it any serious thought?

Does it scare you?

Do you really want to reach old age anyway?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

The great gig in the sky Empty Re: The great gig in the sky

Post by Guest Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:39 pm

Not if it means having to read self indulgent tripe like this

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:43 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Not if it means having to read self indulgent tripe like this

Can you read what i'm thinking right now?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm

Yeah (FYI, whilst it has the length, the girth may prove problematic) and can I just say, your thoughts are as annoying and badly phrased as your writing. Perhaps it's not such a bad thing that you're thinking about death as it may be a precursor to you leaving the site.

I have my fingers crossed anyway

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:50 pm

I think you spend too much time worrying about it one two. Getting old is an inevitability as sure as any that exist, once you accept that you will inevitably have to accept it is not worth worrying or losing sleep about. You are still young, personally think there would be nothing worse than wasting your youth worrying about something completely beyond your control.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:50 pm

Dave, you have the option of not commenting on threads you don't like.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:50 pm

I didnt really think about it - was forced to give it a real thought a few months ago.

Developed a rash on my chest a few months back, and whilst researching how to get rid of it, I came across the medical fact that Hiv can cause a rash within the first three weeks of contraction.

not generally one to believe the internet, but Hiv is a serious disease, and I'd had a particularly naughty December - Took two weeks to muster the courage to get tested... Did a lot of thinking about life, death, and all its meanings in that time - wasn't afraid of dying - but the thought of going sickly was a bit much to bear. Luckily - came back negative... and a later blood test showed I was just having an allergic reaction to latex!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:56 pm

Rowley wrote:Dave, you have the option of not commenting on threads you don't like.

I know, but it's an option I choose not to exercise at this juncture.

Kingraf wrote: I was just having an allergic reaction to latex!
Have you told TRUSSMAN, he's been frantic and hasn't worked at the Oyster since he heard there might be a "problem"

Oh yeah, what are you wearing on your chest that's made of latex. This is a far more interesting question than anything ONETRUSS will ever ask.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:59 pm

ONETRUSS has a ring to it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Mar 2014, 1:00 pm

I know, I'm quite proud of that if I'm being honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 10 Mar 2014, 1:04 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Rowley wrote:Dave, you have the option of not commenting on threads you don't like.

I would suggest you do start to use it. Commenting on threads with nothing other than comments likely to annoy the author, or in a manner likely to start arguments is hardly conducive to the harmonious running of this place.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 10 Mar 2014, 1:06 pm

I imagine that in a drunken haze, or high, for some or other reason, I found it best to beat my chest with a condom... my December was really hazy.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Mar 2014, 1:07 pm

Rowley wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

I would suggest you do start to use it. Commenting on threads with nothing other than comments likely to annoy the author, or in a manner likely to start arguments is hardly conducive to the harmonious running of this place.
Threatening posters in defence of the criminally overly sensitive is hardly conducive either especially given the likelihood of a less than charitable response

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 10 Mar 2014, 1:09 pm

I lived in constant terror of death from the age of about 12 until somewhere in my 30s. Having hit 40 I've realised it's pretty pointless being scared of it. I'm more scared of digging myself into a rut and accepting my lot than of dying (except for dying at the hands of the 667Killer, of course).

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 10 Mar 2014, 1:15 pm

You can respond as you see fit Dave, reality is you chose not to ignore this thread and posted on it before anyone else in what cannot be interpreted as anything other than an unpleasant manner.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 10 Mar 2014, 2:30 pm

I'm happier now at 42 than I was at 22, so figure I'll be doing cartwheels at 60. I don't fear death, or getting old. It's coming.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 10 Mar 2014, 3:00 pm

I think I am Stella, am happily married now, have my own house, enjoy my job, in as much as anyone enjoys work. Could not say any of those things at 21.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 10 Mar 2014, 3:06 pm

Rowley wrote:I think I am Stella, am happily married now, have my own house, enjoy my job, in as much as anyone enjoys work. Could not say any of those things at 21.

Early 20's was a weird age for me. Didn't know whether I was coming or going. Like you, am now (almost) happily married, have two great kids, a half decent job, and and can afford to go on holiday, and enjoy life to an extent. That said, I take f..k all for granted.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 3:53 pm

Rowley wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Nothing else worth doing on this section anymore....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 10 Mar 2014, 3:57 pm

Likewise top hat, you have the option of not posting on it then. I am genuinely sorry that politics and news stories can no longer be debated on here, particularly as nobody has ever had the foresight or desire to start a forum where such subjects can be debated anywhere on the internet. Can't help but feel an opportunity has been missed there.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 3:59 pm

And likewise, or should I say as per Dave, I also have the option of posting wherever, whenever and whatever I want (providing I don't breach House Rules).

Option exercised.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:02 pm

You do have the option to post whereever you want top hat, however as per your caveat Dave's original post that prompted my comment most assuredly did break the house rules, hence my various posts on this thread.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:08 pm

How did it breach house rules?

was attacking the post, not the poster.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:12 pm

I'm not scared of dying but I am scared of a long drawn out demise.

Am I happy...I should be..beautiful wife...two boys....job security and money..

But I've always felt there is something missing in my life and always have..

Always think I've sold out too.

Hard to explain but do envy Stella and Rowley their piece of minds..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:12 pm

No verbal abuse. Doing so violates rule #1 above.

Replies should only address the points of a post. Do not make personal attacks on posters whose points you disagree with. Debate the point not the poster. Moderators and/or Admins have the right to decide what constitutes a personal attack.

Take your pick, describing someone's thread as tripe or expressing your desire to see them leave the site arguably meets either of the above criteria.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:21 pm

I've thought about it a small bit now that I am a father.
Things like will I be alive to see him turn 18/21, that kind of thing.

But on the other hand tell myself its no way to live.

Enjoy the life I have with him now(he's only 4 1/2 months old).

Death will come when it comes.

Best not to think about that.

The good lord will take me when he is ready.
Lets hope he's not ready for a long time.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:23 pm

That's the spirit..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:25 pm

Lol ok Rowl's, still think his first post was fine (just calling a spade a spade) but I'll stop being petulant for now....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:34 pm

I suppose If some of these guys ever wrote a thread..They'd probably feel different..

But what does a small boy from Roxbury know..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:45 pm

'Wrote' or regurgitated?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:55 pm

That is the question......."Is it nobler in the mind...."

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 10 Mar 2014, 5:03 pm

The thought of dying doesn't scare me, as long as its quick and painless (e.g. dying in my sleep) or I don't see it coming (e.g. get hit by a lorry).

Suppose like most people I would hate a long, drawn-out demise.

Similarly, the thought of reaching old age doesn't bother me too much, as long as I maintain my faculties and most of my physical capability. The thought of losing my marbles (whats left of them, anyway) or becoming an invalid, does make me seriously consider acquiring a lethal amount of morphine or similar...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 10 Mar 2014, 6:51 pm

My Father was a quite brilliant man. Intelligent, articulate and energetic he could more than hold his own in conversation with others from all walks of life. Independent, hard-working and with a competitive entrepreneurial nature, he created an insurance business that started life in a back bedroom of his first bungalow and at it's height employed over 20 people with a multi-million pound turnover.

His spare time was spent on the sports field and he excelled in amateur football and cricket. As time passed he turned to golf and despite not picking up a club until he was nearly 40 he reached a single figure handicap. He was a keen Rotarian and worked hard to raise us much money as possible for charities to help people less fortunate than himself. Always on the go he was up early in the morning and had more drive and enthusiasm than many half his age.

We started to get a bit worried when he began to get forgetful. Six years ago last month I was with him when the consultant told him that he had dementia and that there was no cure. When he had finished speaking he asked Dad if there was anything he wanted to ask him. "No thank you" said Dad "I think I know what is coming to me".

For a while the medication helped slow down the rate of the deterioration of the disease. For the first four years my Mother looked after him at home with the aid of nurses and carers until it became impossible. There were things that happened in the last few weeks that he was at home that were too awful and distressing to even begin to describe.

Now he has been in professional nursing care for the last two years. He cannot stand and can only be moved with the aid of a hoist. He can't read, feed himself or even pick up a drink. He is doubly incontinent. His weight is down to about 9 stone and he can only say the odd word or two and nothing that makes any sense, he hasn't called me by my name for well over a year. I don't really think he even knows who we are anymore.    

He would hate it I know, he would absolutely bloody hate it. Me too, I would hate a long, drawn-out demise as others have already said, but especially now I have seen what has happened to my Dad. There surely has to be a lot to be said for a quick heart attack.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 10 Mar 2014, 7:16 pm

Dementia seems like it's worse for the children/spouse than the actual person with it?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 7:49 pm

Ah death.

I've nearly felt its warm embrace on a few occasions but, as yet, it's not quite welcomed me.

But, when it does inevitably come, it will be the biggest rest of them all.

Hurry along, old friend, I've been ready to go for a few years now.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 10 Mar 2014, 7:53 pm

You'll be fine once you make 30, Duty  Very Happy 
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 10 Mar 2014, 7:55 pm

Always seen it that way myself, Stella - but of course, no guarantee the person suffering from it doesn't have a sort locked in syndrome, where they are aware of what's happening, but simply lack the wherewithal, to adequately respond - it's an impossible field to study adequately, but I can't imagine anything could be worse.

Personally, I try not to think about the end - and why should I? Got a fantastic little Ford in the garage, health, a job that pays ridiculous amounts for my output - a girlfriend who thinks the sun revolves around her, and my complete immediate family. Life's good - and I couldn't ask for better
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 7:56 pm

30? That's still just a kid isn't it.  laughing 

I don't fear death, it's just I've merely resigned myself to her fate many times over the last few years. And it still hasn't happened.

Yet.

But I am, in my own morbid way, rather looking forward to it. The peace and quiet of it all.

Bliss.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 10 Mar 2014, 8:02 pm

But not before you have seen us win the World Cup Duty...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 8:33 pm

Haha, most certainly.

I may need to live for another few decades for that to happen though!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 10 Mar 2014, 8:50 pm

Only decades, I admire your optimism!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 9:13 pm

Duty281 wrote:Haha, most certainly.

I may need to live for another few decades !

Trust me ..You don't !

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 11 Mar 2014, 10:13 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Have you given it any serious thought?

Does it scare you?

Do you really want to reach old age anyway?

Yes I've thought about a lot since my early/ mid twenties. I'm not sure if this was instigated by some sudden deaths in my immediate family circle that occurred in around this period or was just a natural process of getting older and becoming more aware of my own mortality.

Yes it scares me but I'm not particularly keen on growing old either so its catch 22 a bit, although I feel a bit more positive about this since becoming a parent last year, in terms of seeing the future as something to look forward to as well as something to fear.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Mar 2014, 10:39 am

BlueCoverman wrote:My Father was a quite brilliant man. Intelligent, articulate and energetic he could more than hold his own in conversation with others from all walks of life. Independent, hard-working and with a competitive entrepreneurial nature, he created an insurance business that started life in a back bedroom of his first bungalow and at it's height employed over 20 people with a multi-million pound turnover.

His spare time was spent on the sports field and he excelled in amateur football and cricket. As time passed he turned to golf and despite not picking up a club until he was nearly 40 he reached a single figure handicap. He was a keen Rotarian and worked hard to raise us much money as possible for charities to help people less fortunate than himself. Always on the go he was up early in the morning and had more drive and enthusiasm than many half his age.

We started to get a bit worried when he began to get forgetful. Six years ago last month I was with him when the consultant told him that he had dementia and that there was no cure. When he had finished speaking he asked Dad if there was anything he wanted to ask him. "No thank you" said Dad "I think I know what is coming to me".

For a while the medication helped slow down the rate of the deterioration of the disease. For the first four years my Mother looked after him at home with the aid of nurses and carers until it became impossible. There were things that happened in the last few weeks that he was at home that were too awful and distressing to even begin to describe.

Now he has been in professional nursing care for the last two years. He cannot stand and can only be moved with the aid of a hoist. He can't read, feed himself or even pick up a drink. He is doubly incontinent. His weight is down to about 9 stone and he can only say the odd word or two and nothing that makes any sense, he hasn't called me by my name for well over a year. I don't really think he even knows who we are anymore.    

He would hate it I know, he would absolutely bloody hate it. Me too, I would hate a long, drawn-out demise as others have already said, but especially now I have seen what has happened to my Dad. There surely has to be a lot to be said for a quick heart attack.
My dad was an immigrant from Jamaica who did a variety of jobs (menial and not so menial) to make ends meet. He suffered some pretty horrendous racial abuse when he first arrived in the late 60's and dealt with it using diplomacy, integrity, strength of character and, when required, the administration of a couple of beatings (he and my mother were spat on in the street as someone took offence to a black man walking hand in hand with a white woman). He never asked for anything, marched to the beat of his own drum and was, in his own way, happy with his lot (despite never having much on anything to call his own)

When I was 19 my dad suffered his first stroke and whilst he was able to return home for a while it was areal strain on me and my mum. Unfortunately he quickly suffered a more serious stroke which resulted in a blood clot having to be removed from his brain. Since then he's required full time nursing care, he has no speech or swallowing reflex and is peg fed. He's hung in there long enough to see me get married, see my daughter born and hopefully he'll see my son born in a few weeks but I do wonder what quality of life he has. He's always been an insular person so it's hard to tell how withdrawn he's become over the years. It's been something that's been a part of my life for so long I can't recall much of the time when he wasn't ill so I have no idea how much of my own personality and life and been/changed affected by his illness.

There are clearly worse things than death and as no-one knows what the future has in store, I'd advise making the best of what you have whist you still have the chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Mar 2014, 10:49 am

Always found the phrase live every day as your last....amusing......Pretty hard when you don't get home till 7pm.....

Always wondered If animals have a better life.........Screw anything that moves...lie around idle...kill anything that bothers you that's smaller or If you get wasted hard cheese...

Shouldn't think animals spend much time thinking............

Maybe it's better that way...I think humans think too much............

I don't take life too seriously...........

Most our problems stem from brain overload...........No wonder Dave667 seems so happy..

Sorry about your Father by the way.......My Grandpa the boxing fan was given the wrong insulin dose and was basically a vegetable for six years before he thankfully died......Luckily we remember the charismatic Pender fan..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Mar 2014, 11:04 am

No wonder Dave667 seems so happy..
I'm too silly to know what's going on most of the time...the rest of the time I just don't care.

I used to spend ages worrying about all kinds of stuff...like going bald....then all the worry made my hair fall out!

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 11 Mar 2014, 11:11 am

I was in a car accident when I was 16, going for a day trip with my Aunt, Uncle and 2 cousins. We were overtaking a car going about 60mph and the last thing I remember clearly was this loud bang. After that it felt like about 10 minutes of crunching metal and glass being jumped and stepped on.

I ended up in a coma for about 2 weeks, when I woke up I kind of wished I had of died at the time because the healing process of a shattered collarbone, broken hand and leg with a fractured skull on top was to put it lightly.....really poop. Took me about 3 years to even sit in the front of a car again and even now I turn into a major wuss when driving on a motorway at fast speeds.

The bang was the back tyre blowing and the car flipped and rolled about 10 times off the road. I was the lucky one who got to sit in the front while my uncle was driving. The my aunt and 2 cousins climbed out of the car with minor cuts, bruises etc. Me and my uncle had to be cut out. He barely had a scratch on him. Lucky me eh?

Anyway, one thing I can remember and its really weird, but when the car started skidding and flipped, I can remember thinking to myself "this is it" as the car rolled. No joking, I just closed my eyes and waited for the worst.

Since then I really couldn't care. If I go I go. Like someone said earlier, I sort of what to see my young lad grow up etc, but the days of being scared of croaking it are well gone!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 11 Mar 2014, 11:55 am

DAVE667 wrote:
I'm too silly to know what's going on most of the time...the rest of the time I just don't care.

I used to spend ages worrying about all kinds of stuff...like going bald....then all the worry made my hair fall out!

DAVE can you worry about getting hit by a bus next? thumbsup 

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:17 pm

I'm currently worrying about standing next to you when the bus arrives and pushing you in front whilst I leap to safety

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 11 Mar 2014, 2:25 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

DAVE can you worry about getting hit by a bus next? thumbsup 

Did you protect the USA basketball team from getting hit by buses during the Olympics?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next