The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So the recovery begins

+7
McLaren
tarka
GWR-Golfer
LondonJonnyO
oldshanker
Davie
Maverick
11 posters

Go down

So the recovery begins Empty So the recovery begins

Post by Maverick Sat 21 May 2011, 7:38 am

Well as most on here know I was injured whilst in the course of action or should I say whilst in action on the course!

Yesterday finally underwent he knife for the repair to the damaged ACL, felt fine when I came round yesterday yet this morning my head feels like a pair of underpants on a spin cyclce (likely a morphine induced hangover) and my left knee feels like its just been mauled by a pack of hyenas.

The nurses have been kind enough to allow me to use my laptop with mobile dongle in order to get my fix of golf and watch it through the sky player, bit of a drag so am relying on you guys for updates to this weekends golf. I can't complain the nurses seem lovely and i've already had my orders from Mrs mav to behave not that im in any position to misbehave and relive my army days when I had fun with many nurses <staresquietlyatprettyblondenurserememberingdaysofold>

i'm digressing the point to this thread is now after yesterdays surgery its now a 12-16week recovery process before I can even think of getting back on the course again, many weeks of knee drains, physio and gym work to rebuild knee muscles. It has meant my ambition to get to +1 is out the window, and am now in the process of looking at swing coaches to rebuild my swing when I return as the pressure on my left knee with my current action will be too great am following doctors and the sports physio i've employeds orders to the letter so there is no repeat of this.

I've got to thinking what do I do with this many weeks on the sidelines..... I will continue to goto the club each week, Mrs Mav has agreed to drop me off there (provided I behave in hospital I think she was joking) so I get to still be a part of the club, and I have little Mavette to help with her game, she has a medal competition today which I cannot be there for so good luck to her today. But I got to thinking what am I going to do to fill the void not playing has instore for me, its been weeks already since the incident happened on the 17th tee that caused this and already i am going stir crazy and theres at least 12more weeks but more likely 16 being realistic.

So what ideas does everyone have for me to fill the void, and then there's when I do return, completely rebuilding the swing literally from the bottom(legs) to top to make less strain on the knee, its certainly go to be a long hard road to recovery, but I don't know what pain is worse for me, the physical one i'm laying here feeling that is eased by the smiles of the angels nursing me... is it the empty feeling of seeing others play the game I love, or will it be the pain of changing my swing and suffering the inevitable lows that come from changes where scores go up due to changes being made before they start getting lower again when repetition of the new swing sets in again. I really don't know but looks like +1 will be on hold next year too as the game will be in its transition period....

Anyway feeling slightly melancholy now, think the morphines kicking in, this pump is great... Anyway, nurse... I am unable to walk to the shower any chance of a bed bath...... thumbsup Whistle randy

Maverick

Back to top Go down

So the recovery begins Empty Re: So the recovery begins

Post by Davie Sat 21 May 2011, 7:50 am

Wishing you a speedy recovery Mav and good luck to Mavette today also

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat 21 May 2011, 8:02 am

Here's hoping everything repairs well over the next few weeks and don't rush things.

At least Mrs Mav will have a few days off!! Wink

Good Luck Mavette.

Very Happy
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat 21 May 2011, 8:32 am

Before we go into anything else lets focus on this nurses thing
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat 21 May 2011, 8:48 am

LJ a man after my own heart

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR-Golfer Sat 21 May 2011, 9:48 am

Be patient Mav, I had an operation on my left knee on 1st Oct last year and I wasn't allowed to play until January. Then it was 9 holes, 12 holes before getting round 18.

Now able to play as much as I want, although it still aches.
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Sat 21 May 2011, 10:45 am

Mav, if that was me I would treat it as a positive.
cue "rocky music" blood sweat and tears all that stuff. Get my upper body sorted, then gradual physio, come back stronger and fitter than you were before. You are a much better player and been playing longer so I doubt your skills will leave you over this process. I take it you will be off your work for a while so it will be a bit boring and it can get depressing sitting around by yourself, feeling all lonely, useless and having a loathing and self pity for yourself (not really selling this to you I know!)
Read about golf, watch golf and I can give you a good few sites to visit to keep your spirits up if you know what I mean

All the best mate

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 21 May 2011, 10:48 am

I wouldn't be too hasty with the idea that you need to change your swing to accommodate this injury. Having suffered similar to my knee and ankle playing football at no point did I ever consider my golf certainly not a change of swing. It really should not be an issue, yes you went to a guy whose income depends on saying it will affect you.

I ignored most of the physio and strangely I can still play golf and even footie now. As GWR states it will ache but there is nothing you can do about that. For me it aches nearly ten years after the fact. So just get back and concentrate on what you know.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 21 May 2011, 11:48 am

Sorry to read about yr injury Mav. Seems a good time to do whatever the rehab people tell you. But you might emphasise that Littlestone has very few slopes so walks there would be very therapeutic.
Good luck!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat 21 May 2011, 12:45 pm

Mac the sports physio and his advice is not the reason for the change the surgeons advice and the results of my MRI are. My injury comes from years of yomping over the gulf desert and afghan mountains and jumping out of aeroplanes for Her Majesty's forces. The ACL surgery was a success and with the physio and recovery I could continue with my current swing happily. The change is due to the severe amount of knee joint deterioration caused by the impacts of the above far worse than the ACL its the joint deterioration that caused the ACL problems and the pressures of my swing on my knees cannot be maintained so upon the surgeons advice to make changes I've been doing a lot of digging into how much pressure per lb is created. It just happens the physio knows his golf and with the surgeons recommendation to has aided me in finding the right swinf mechanics to look at and future exercises for my knee's!

I will only be doing non impact sports/exercises so no football at all anymore no running. Instead it will be swimming, cycling and cross trainers. So I can assure you the swing changes planned are not just because someone is making money out of me. The physio has nothing to gain from me changing my swing nor does the surgeon but my knees and my love of being able to play golf and walk do.

Cheers for the support guys. I'm currently milking the attention from the nurses and a rather hot lady Dr too!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 21 May 2011, 1:34 pm

Mav

Just seems a lot of palaver for a injury to a sportsman who does not rely on said sport for his livelihood. So in order to confirm this thought I sought some evidence in the form of some professional medical advice.

Now please dont take these comments the wrong way it is just you are a good player and I would hate to see you loose that. Of course it is a shock when you get an injury like that but dont make any rash decisions.

Anyway, I asked a doctor who I know what they thought of this debate and although not surprised to hear the advice you were given did not think it was at all necessary. Yes strengthen the knee but from what I was told it does not seem you need to change what is a good swing. Especially if you have given up other activities which were probably the root of the cause.

Look at the like of ernie and tiger who have tried and failed in what you are going to try and attempt.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat 21 May 2011, 2:30 pm

Mac I'm not going to get drawn into an argument over which Dr is right of wrong. All I know is I've seen the results of the MRI and the knees in a bad way so will follow the advice of the guy who did the repair work for me to the letter as this is not just about me playing golf its about being healthy for years to come with my kids.

But I thank you for showing enough of an interest to ask your Dr friend for me. I'm a decent player but I'll never be Ernie or Tiger so I have no fear my golf will go the way there's has, I know if I follow through with swing changes which I plan to do it will be a long hard road but one I'm willing to take and it may help improve my game as there are areas I would want to address anyway

But again I thankyou for being concerned now let's discuss important matters, Nurses, and how's the matchplay going

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat 21 May 2011, 2:58 pm

Getting back to the nurses...... and as one lecherous git said to another 'There are only 2 sure-fire things in life, DEATH and NURSE' - what are they like - on a scale of Megan Fox and Hattie Jakes - where do they sit?
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dazzler Sat 21 May 2011, 3:24 pm

Mav,
try and convert to left handed, strain shall be transferred to the other knee................. Doh
The Dazzler
The Dazzler

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Sat 21 May 2011, 5:18 pm

Mav

Best of luck with the recovery.

I presume you want an update on the Volvo World Matchplay and since no-one else seems to be doing it being more interested in the nurses, here goes:

Martin Kaymer beat Alvaro Quiros by 2 holes and plays Luke Donald in the semis who also beat Charle Swartzel by 2 holes. The other semi will be between Nicloas Colsaerts who beat Graham McDowell 2 & 1 and it's looking like Ian Poulter who is one up on Francesco Molinari after 17 holes.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat 21 May 2011, 5:32 pm

Martin thanks mate appreciate that have just picked up results now. As for ranking the nurses between megan and bella, I'd say the nurse that was on this morning was much like anne hathaway, the one I been chatting to this afternoon ranks at a katherine heigel, there's a heather off eastenders as well as a shirly and several bellas! So I'm working charms on Anne and Katherine Wink

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat 21 May 2011, 5:46 pm

Look. I know this is putting a downer on the whole thing but I hope that Mave has to spend a little more time in the hospital bed.

I see it as more time with starched uniformed nurses. Walking around in stockings. All clean and clinical.

Err... back in a minute.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down