The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 Super Rugby Season

+31
ChequeredJersey
emack2
fa0019
Gunner
toml
chewed_mintie
CraigS1874
aucklandlaurie
Hood83
butterfingers
George Carlin
yappysnap
Mr Fishpaste
Taylorman
Biltong
kingraf
blackcanelion
westisbest
nathan
Ozzy3213
BamBam
boomeranga
Welly
cdm86
The Saint
Rugby Fan
doctor_grey
rainbow-warrior
nganboy
Pal Joey
kiakahaaotearoa
35 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

2015 Super Rugby Season - Page 5 Empty 2015 Super Rugby Season

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 28 Feb 2014, 10:21 am

First topic message reminder :

The place for all things Super Rugby.  

Here we can discuss the latest team news, results, upcoming fixtures, referees performances, crowd behaviour, the cheerleaders....

George & Canelion: I've converted your Round 3 and Round 6 threads into the "super" Super Rugby Thread. A few others included in there too.

Check the links below for fixtures, results and the table.

2014 Table

2014 Results

Kiwi  Springbok  Wallaby

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Fri 18 Dec 2015, 1:25 pm; edited 16 times in total (Reason for editing : Round 10 Fixtures & Results added.)

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

2015 Super Rugby Season - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 Super Rugby Season

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 28 Apr 2014, 2:16 pm

It'd be funnier if he said at the end only kidding. I'm staying after all. It was just a motivational tool to make you play better by thinking you'd be rid of me.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 28 Apr 2014, 6:16 pm

nganboy wrote:Wouldn't it be funny if the Hurricanes got to the finals after Hammett threw in the towel - not the final mind you just the finals don't want to ask for too much.

on the cards nganboy...this Canes side is the best I've ever seen it, and is now a must watch side for the talent across the side. On its current path could go all the way...there...said it for you!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 30 Apr 2014, 9:43 am

Is Julian Savea modelling his hair styles on Jonah Lomu? The Samurai look is definitely not harming his form. I think he's going to make a big impact in the England tests. There's oodles of talent in form, and they'll need to be with this England side wanting to press their claims for 2015.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:28 am

Saveas adding strings to his bow isnt he. Like Nonu theyve both found this kick in behind flavour that theyre really getting the hang of. Variation seems to be Saveas modus operandi at the moment Kia...that might explain the hair?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:31 am

It's more functional now. Before it was just flopping and in danger of covering over his eyes. I really don't care how he looks. I'm just glad he's on our side. It's great to see him in this kind of form.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:37 am

speaking of...In the 6 nations I watched Wales camped on their line for a good five -8 minutes or so. That Welsh prop with the medieval page boy long blonde hair must have cleared the hair out of his eyes about 10 times while hunched down in defence...I mean how inefficient is that? Imagine scoring a try under him just as he's clearing his hair off his eyes...Coach'll give em a no.1 during the half time break!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:43 am

The Shane Warne Mane makes no sense in Wales. The Hibbard Blonde Blizzard would be a more apt name for that atrocity.

I fear we don't have enough mullets in our team. Lock used to be a lock for a mullet. We can't afford to let standards slip. The grizzly beard should not undermine the mullet. It's a NZ staple!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:57 pm

Anyone seen the announced plans for Super XVIII? One more team for SA, one for Arg and an Asian team. Four pools - 1 Aus, 1 NZ and 2 in SA - with the Arg/Asian sides. Seems stupid to me - think of all the travel the Asian side will have to do!!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/9993926/Super-Rugby-expansion-plans-revealed

On another note - Chris Noakes has cut ties with the Blues for London Irish....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/27204317

Not entirely unexpected but another of the middle layer gone from NZ

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 30 Apr 2014, 3:03 pm

Had a bit of time off from the site so my apologies for not updating the OP last weekend.

Has anyone else heard about the expansion to Super 18? Or should that be Super XVIII?

NZ and Oz stay the same but then two groups of 4 based in SA (Kings back and some other/s) with an Argentinian and an Asian (Japanese?) side?

Announcement in 2 weeks apparently.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 02 May 2014, 12:12 am

Yes LB. It is seen here as potentially a good thing. It seems to address these issues:

- SA want a 6th side- tick
- SA don't like the amount of travel, and to an extent neither do Oz and SA- tick
- Oz want to play NZ more and vice versa- that will happen-tick
- more matches, B(*&ms on seats

For me the not playing all devalues this tournament. Never again will we get the saders effort of beating every single side in the comp. That for me is reaching perfection in the tournament, and no one (literally) can argue.

This way, oh...we didnt qualify but we would have gone all the way rubbish will happen.

So for us greedy kiwis, we want domination in the sport. This format gives a whole lot of teams a whole lot of games, somehow assuming those who make the playoffs are somehow 'even' at that point when the reality is it will be more difficult to make the playoffs from the NZ/ Oz side. So we'll have close finishing Chiefs or Saders sides missing out on playing the Lions kind of thing, in the knockout- tougher to qualify, easier to win them.

Just who these ideas are designed to suit more is confusing but its getting less and less from a fans perspective, and i thought they were the most important aspect of the pro game. Without them, we wouldn't have it after all.

At least thats my take from it initially.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 02 May 2014, 12:31 am

Yes, it will get more confusing and I'm not convinced a larger tournament will attract a proportionate increase of bums on seats and increased revenue.

Looking at it quickly with no hard figures (I'm sure Biltong has done a thorough study of it) - at present, SA generate 50% of SR revenue but we all get 33.3% with 5 teams each. Is this correct?

Then if SA has 8/18 and NZ and Oz 5/18 each under the expanded competition - overall revenue pie is bigger (but by how much?) and obviously SA will generate more revenue with more matches/broadcasts. However the danger is that the quality may deteriorate with 2... possibly 3 initially weaker sides in their 8... crowds, which are already below par, will not suddenly rise in a big way overnight - could even get worse.

It will also depend on where this "Asian team" is based. If they are based in SA (full time) I can't see them attracting a following. Even if they are based in Tokyo? I wonder how much interest they will receive from the locals. Also, who would be willing to sponsor a cellar-dwelling rugby franchise? Yet the costs for running the expanded show will be increased significantly.

I have a feeling we are looking at a recipe for disaster.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 02 May 2014, 5:22 am

I can tell you guys I am done with Super Rugby.

It is a bloody mess.

You have four conferences which isn't equal in number.

The qualifiers will have no credibility as you won't play anywhere the same sides as other qualifiers.

How can you simply not play a whole country's teams for the season?

You can get the luck of the draw and get a tougher than most schedule or not at all.

Our rugby will suffer because of it, the ARU and NZrU has managed to reduce the game against us this time round, next time it will be even less.

And yet we still split revenue, lose players, play less teams and double up on the Currie Cup.

What a f... Waste.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 02 May 2014, 10:49 am

SA not only got their extra team but also another conference. Can't help but feel they've got shafted again and Australia have got more games against NZ.

I can see why you'd be dismissive of the concept BB. They don't even know who the last team is in the chicken stock pot conference but you can be assured it won't be from the finer cuts of the meat. Just offal I say. Truly offal.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 02 May 2014, 11:02 am

Super Rugby is like watching a film like American Gangster.

For 10 years we had Super 12. 11 games against everybody and a perfect season was possible. Success though breeds envy. You have a superior product and people want to get their hands on that product. In order to spread the profit, they cut it up and divide it. The quality is reduced but the profit is spread wider and people are fooled into thinking that more is better.

Let's call a turd a turd. The new Super product should be Super Dope. An ironic title for a concept that has outgrown demand. The more people who want to get their hands on the product, the more diluted it becomes and the quality suffers.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 02 May 2014, 12:44 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Super Rugby is like watching a film like American Gangster.For 10 years we had Super 12. 11 games against everybody and a perfect season was possible. Success though breeds envy. You have a superior product and people want to get their hands on that product. In order to spread the profit, they cut it up and divide it. The quality is reduced but the profit is spread wider and people are fooled into thinking that more is better.

Let's call a turd a turd. The new Super product should be Super Dope. An ironic title for a concept that has outgrown demand. The more people who want to get their hands on the product, the more diluted it becomes and the quality suffers.

thats a very good name for it Kia, especially as the mooted Super xviii is modelled on the NFL.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 03 May 2014, 1:00 am

SA rugbys going to suffer a bit. Instead of gaining valuable experience vs NZ and Oz sides they'll instead be coaching South American sides...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sat 03 May 2014, 1:50 am

SA and Aus have made life hard for everyone for wanting more teams in the competition over the last few years. This has added to the cost, travel and diluted their talent. While SA can afford more teams they have generally had a couple of teams that have really struggled. While the Force and the Rebels are not totally hopeless anymore they have really stretched the Aussie talent thin and have had to rely a lot of recruiting from overseas. The other side of the problem is that NZ doesn't bring much money to the comp but generally does bring the quality.

I really liked the Super 12 and haven't been happy with the expansions. BUT we have to hope things work out. IF we can get big money from Arg and Japan then at least we might be able to hold on to more players rather than have some many go to Europe and Japan.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 03 May 2014, 9:05 am

Alternativey - as I said to LB, on a separate thread, Sanzar have to find a way to compete financially. The player exodus has thus far occurred in small, manageable drips. It just seems like it escalate very quickly, given the new deal in Europe. Morne Steyn said as much. Fans are obviously still into SR, it's still by quite some way the biggest rugby tournament in terms of average attendance.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 03 May 2014, 2:17 pm

good wins for Saders, Chiefs and Blues so far. Tahs beat the Canes in a high octane match and for me two things stuck out. TJ Perenara, as I mentioned earlier, is too lippy, and it cost them a bonus point with the last penalty, even though I agree it was knocked by a tahs player.

He needs to park his ego and think before he does anything. He also bungled a certain try by not passing to Jane. If theres one thing thats certain in rugby...an unmarked Cory Jane has a better than even chance of getting to the tryline.

Key calls went against the Canes. A short infield pass, which looked flat called forward by the oz touchie. No tmo, just all round full acceptance where passes like Le Rouxs which end up 10 meters in front of the initial pass point get the third degree and are still ok.

One try Walsh says, for me its no try unless you can see something conclusive. They roll the tape, nothing is conclusive, and the try is awarded! say what?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sun 04 May 2014, 10:54 am

Agree about Perenara. His mistakes did cost us the game. I'm sure he also did something stupid that led to a try being scored against us as well.
But its a team game and the Canes didn't defend tough enough in my mind - too many easy metres for the Tahs.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 06 May 2014, 12:23 pm

That Will Skelton was the key player I thought. He just kept getting over the gainline time and again. But the thing that stand out for me is that Wellington should never have surrendered that lead.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 10 May 2014, 11:00 pm

Did anyone else think that the Highlanders were very lucky to keep that win against the Lions?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 11 May 2014, 12:54 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Did anyone else think that the Highlanders were very lucky to keep that win against the Lions?

Yeah, the conversion should have been retaken.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Sun 11 May 2014, 7:02 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Exceptionally lucky.
But we were due some good fortune.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 11 May 2014, 10:59 am

Crusaders with a great win away in Brisbane. Shame that Romano is out now with a broken ankle and won't be in the June series. Hopefully his big presence won't be missed. Saders now have a game in hand and can leap frog the Chiefs with a bonus point win.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 11 May 2014, 11:15 am

Crusaders have found a way of being the best side to travel that's for sure. That will see them well in the finals if they can keep that up. Impressive stuff. Slade once again in top form. In Cruden Barrett and Slade DC sure has some able 10s ready to step up.
Pity about piatau and knees are horrible injuries confidence wise. Fekitoa just got a ticket to the big show no doubt.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sun 11 May 2014, 11:51 am

Hurricanes and Highlanders with poor wins but Chiefs and Crusaders show their quality. I watched the Sharks and Brumbies last night. That was an awful game. Granted there was a little rain but it was really dull. I was expecting a humdinger between two conference leaders and almost ended up turning it off.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sun 11 May 2014, 11:52 pm

Gunner wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Exceptionally lucky.

Have to agree. Decision on the non try against the post and the early charge. Very, very lucky. Could have easily been a draw. Wouldn't be surprised if Lions management make some noise.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 12 May 2014, 1:29 pm

looking at the points table, it is quite possible that 3-4 NZ sides could qualify for the Top 6

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 12 May 2014, 1:40 pm

Crusaders will win it again, mate. They are a class above the rest.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 12 May 2014, 3:03 pm

They seem to have finally found a way to emerge from the shadow of DC, or learnt how to deal with either him or McCaw being on sabbatical. The loss of Read is substantial but the re-emergence of Slade plus contributions across the board means they are looking threatening again. McCaw is playing like he was 10 years ago!

However, I still have a feeling that we've been here before with the Crusaders. They'll fade in the end.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 12 May 2014, 3:09 pm

Maybe... but I think every other team will fade more.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 12 May 2014, 4:06 pm

Starting to think the Sharks and Brumbies are already fading! Didn't see it but their match has been slated as utterly one dimensional and certainly not the quality you'd expect from the top 2 teams.

NZ have fast-finishing teams. I'd like to think Wellington will emerge from the pack to bury their hoodoo!!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 May 2014, 5:57 pm

The key is securing a home final and semi. Saders have looked good at home only to fade away. Stay at home and they're a handful.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Tue 13 May 2014, 4:28 am

blackcanelion wrote:
Gunner wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Exceptionally lucky.

Have to agree. Decision on the non try against the post and the early charge. Very, very lucky. Could have easily been a draw. Wouldn't be surprised if Lions management make some noise.

Agree on the early charge. V lucky.
Disagree on the try against the post. If u cant see it cant call it. In sayin that, some of the people i was watchin with called it a try.

Definitely cant agree with game easily endin in a draw. Not unless a conversion has been downgraded to one point while I rushed of for a nervous p!ss before Jantjies took the conversion!

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 16 May 2014, 12:54 pm

The Hurricanes' loss to the Highlanders sums up a typical Hurricanes year. Full of ups and downs. Thought we were a bit unlucky with the ref on a couple of calls but actually we just weren't very good. C Smith had a terrible game by his standards.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 16 May 2014, 6:36 pm

TJP sure let Aaron Smith know hes around, hassling him all night, including the steal for the try. Still thought the Canes played the most rugby, had the most chances but just never took them. Cheeky little dropped goal which basically won the match.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 16 May 2014, 8:22 pm

Interesting you raise the Perenara try, in watching those replays I was pretty certain the his hand did touch the ball as well as Smith's forearm, but me that as it may, this tactic is now becoming more common among defending halfbacks at scrumtime.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 17 May 2014, 10:40 am

Fantastic performance by the Sharks tonight to beat the Crusaders, I think its their year.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 May 2014, 11:09 am

Yeah, season defining win.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 17 May 2014, 11:46 am

Do you think Meyer's getting nervous BB? There's no way he'll be gone for next year's RWC but if the team doesn't perform - read perform for win - then Jake White's back in SA having done what it seems wonders back to back with different Super teams. Say what you like about the rugby his teams play, his results speak loud and clear for him. He's the Mourinho of the rugby world without the egregious personality. I'd be cacking myself if I were Meyer.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 May 2014, 12:20 pm

Kia I don't think White will ever be a Bok coach again, the administrators in SA don't take kindly to sour ex coaches, same applies for Mallett.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 May 2014, 12:36 pm

Phenomenal win by the sharks biltong, that was gutsy as heck. Shame what you say about Jake White. He is a special coach. His teams seem to defend like crazy. Is it nous or is it motivation you think?

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 May 2014, 12:40 pm

I think Jake is a very good man manager and knows how to get the best out of players
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 17 May 2014, 2:26 pm

He's also an astute tactician and knows what his players' strengths are and employing tactics that get the best out of his players at his disposal.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 23 May 2014, 9:20 am

Watching Blues-Saints now, and although Sharks are up on the board approaching half time, Blues really don't seem out of it or even second best.  Just a few bad breaks.  As Biltong, using his keen intellect has discovered, I am a closet Sharks supporter.  Hoping they continue to go well.  But I find it had not to like this Blues team.  

By the way, another player removed for possible concussion.  I was concerned the Blues med staff was going to get it wrong, but they clearly did the right thing.  For anyone who didn't see it, there is no comparison to the Fritz episoide at all.  Just a bloke with a knock kept off for the right reasons.  Good on them.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 23 May 2014, 10:38 am

SHarks won, but it aint pretty.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 23 May 2014, 11:16 am

Can anyone beat the sharks this year?

back to back wins in NZ vs. the Crusaders & Blues is not easy in anyone's book.

They have 3 more matches (1 at home vs Stormers and 2 away vs. Cheetahs and Stormers), at worst a 4 point cushion at the top.
Can see them potentially losing to the stormers at home as the heavyweights in Newlands returns but otherwise they'll waltz home.

Can't see anyone at home beating the sharks with their team. Jake has the midas touch.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Fri 23 May 2014, 5:54 pm

fa0019 wrote:Can anyone beat the sharks this year?

back to back wins in NZ vs. the Crusaders & Blues is not easy in anyone's book.

They have 3 more matches (1 at home vs Stormers and 2 away vs. Cheetahs and Stormers), at worst a 4 point cushion at the top.
Can see them potentially losing to the stormers at home as the heavyweights in Newlands returns but otherwise they'll waltz home.

Can't see anyone at home beating the sharks with their team. Jake has the midas touch.

Don't jinx it Shocked 

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 23 May 2014, 6:04 pm

fa0019 wrote:Jake has the midas touch.
I just think he is damn good.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content