The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 Super Rugby Season

+31
ChequeredJersey
emack2
fa0019
Gunner
toml
chewed_mintie
CraigS1874
aucklandlaurie
Hood83
butterfingers
George Carlin
yappysnap
Mr Fishpaste
Taylorman
Biltong
kingraf
blackcanelion
westisbest
nathan
Ozzy3213
BamBam
boomeranga
Welly
cdm86
The Saint
Rugby Fan
doctor_grey
rainbow-warrior
nganboy
Pal Joey
kiakahaaotearoa
35 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

2015 Super Rugby Season - Page 6 Empty 2015 Super Rugby Season

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 28 Feb 2014, 10:21 am

First topic message reminder :

The place for all things Super Rugby.  

Here we can discuss the latest team news, results, upcoming fixtures, referees performances, crowd behaviour, the cheerleaders....

George & Canelion: I've converted your Round 3 and Round 6 threads into the "super" Super Rugby Thread. A few others included in there too.

Check the links below for fixtures, results and the table.

2014 Table

2014 Results

Kiwi  Springbok  Wallaby

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Fri 18 Dec 2015, 1:25 pm; edited 16 times in total (Reason for editing : Round 10 Fixtures & Results added.)

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

2015 Super Rugby Season - Page 6 Empty Re: 2015 Super Rugby Season

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 24 May 2014, 7:34 am

I cant recall Richie Mccaw being booed off a New Zealand rugby ground before.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 24 May 2014, 8:36 am

doctor_grey wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Jake has the midas touch.
I just think he is damn good.

Seemed quite impotent at the Lions.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 24 May 2014, 8:51 am

Is it just me or has Slade worked on his defence? I don't seem to recall him being as effective a tackler before. He is a tackling machine now.

Dagg pulls off a try-saving tackle at the end and bonus point victory makes up for the Sharks disappointment last week. Good to see Ben Smith and Dagg trying to catch the selectors' eye.

I really like this Highlanders side this year. They've surprised like the Force in terms of their results but there's been nothing surprising about the way they've gone about their work.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 24 May 2014, 10:09 am

Chiefs will be puzzled by this result. Their defence was quite good but it seemed every time the Hurricanes got into the Chiefs' 22, they were able to score. Makes this NZ top of the conference an interesting race.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 24 May 2014, 7:39 pm

I probably would have given Osboune that try for the Highlanders in the final moments of their match v Canterbury.
I don't think it looked simultaneous... the forearm on the post and on the sideline. One of the best games of the season that was.
Surprised by the Cane's demolition of the Chiefs... didn't see that coming so comprehensively. They're a great side to watch in that type of form.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 24 May 2014, 11:32 pm

Regardless of whether it was a try - it didn't look good front on but the reverse angle looked better - I don't think the long pass was the right option. He should've passed to the man much closer in.

Was a beauty LB. Aaron Smith made some sublime passes. Excited about him against England.

Read should come back from a head cold as well as concussion before that and a timely return it will be.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sun 25 May 2014, 6:12 am

Definitely the wrong decision, they had an overlap anyway. Didn't someone just write about hating unnecessary skip passes in another thread.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 25 May 2014, 10:40 am

That was munkian I think on the forget flashy thread. It was definitely the wrong option as Dagg had the time to make the cover tackle. Hindsight's a female dog though.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 26 May 2014, 12:21 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Is it just me or has Slade worked on his defence? I don't seem to recall him being as effective a tackler before. He is a tackling machine now.

Dagg pulls off a try-saving tackle at the end and bonus point victory makes up for the Sharks disappointment last week. Good to see Ben Smith and Dagg trying to catch the selectors' eye.

I really like this Highlanders side this year. They've surprised like the Force in terms of their results but there's been nothing surprising about the way they've gone about their work.

Slade was a 'courageous' but careless tackler...one of them was when he got concussed - putting his head in the wrong place.

Awesome match. Good thing is the AB's are still the key to these matches- the 2 Smiths and Fekitoa (geez he's got potential- stunning on attack and defence).

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 26 May 2014, 12:25 am

nganboy wrote:Definitely the wrong decision, they had an overlap anyway. Didn't someone just write about hating unnecessary skip passes in another thread.

I think a more experienced winger wouldn't have got shunted so easily to the left. He got the ball from a standing start which didn't help, but he could have chosen a more inward path to the line at the end, and possibly gone lower. The pass was good enough and better wingers would have got there easily.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 28 May 2014, 10:48 am

Taylorman wrote:
nganboy wrote:Definitely the wrong decision, they had an overlap anyway. Didn't someone just write about hating unnecessary skip passes in another thread.

I think a more experienced winger wouldn't have got shunted so easily to the left. He got the ball from a standing start which didn't help, but he could have chosen a more inward path to the line at the end, and possibly gone lower. The pass was good enough and better wingers would have got there easily.

I also agree so two bits of poor play by the highlanders. I called the no try result as soon as I saw the replay
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 28 May 2014, 10:53 am

He did well in the first try where Dagg in particular should've done much better than his weak effort. I wouldn't call him a bad winger but maybe when he saw Dagg coming he had that flash of the first try come to mind. Now with the bad experience in his mind he'll probably track infield and be lower to the ground. Experience, good or bad, can make you a better player.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 29 May 2014, 12:45 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:He did well in the first try where Dagg in particular should've done much better than his weak effort. I wouldn't call him a bad winger but maybe when he saw Dagg coming he had that flash of the first try come to mind. Now with the bad experience in his mind he'll probably track infield and be lower to the ground. Experience, good or bad, can make you a better player.

Yeah its not really a criticism and he was made to stop and reach back to bring in the pass. So he had to cover the 4 or so yards from standing with both armies rapidly heading his way. It gave (a very impressive) Dagg the chance to get right under him and shnt him a whole yard so I dont think the winger was expecting anything like that. Look at Daggs actions again- he practically lifts his whole weight to the sideline, its not just a push.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 31 May 2014, 5:52 pm

Lions decided to ignore the script that said they have never beaten the Bulls and sank their lat hope to qualify Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 31 May 2014, 7:36 pm

Reds pack looked better as did Genia. Coincidence that Cooper is not playing or would've he had made that more clear cut than the final score? Another question is why hasn't Genia played like that all season?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 31 May 2014, 11:14 pm

Biltong wrote:Lions decided to ignore the script that said they have never beaten the Bulls and sank their lat hope to qualify Very Happy

You know, I accidentally tipped them to win in SB... I was sure I had clicked the Bulls.
Felt like an idiot when I saw everyone else had blue bull next to their names... me a red lion. I was quite shocked actually!  Smile 
Well done Lions! (and congrats to you too BB even though we know you don't follow them as passionately as before.)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 01 Jun 2014, 1:31 am

To make matters worse the Stormers beat the Sharks. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 02 Jun 2014, 10:52 am

Some crazy/unexpected results this weekend. NZ teams did not have a good weekend against Aus teams.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 27 Jun 2014, 9:43 am

Great (almost) length of the field try by Ben Smith there. They're on a bit of a roll here against the Chiefs.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 27 Jun 2014, 12:02 pm

good honest match though. The NZ sides aren't going to make it easy for each other. The back door just might be ajar for my blues... Rolling Eyes 

Chiefs arent doing enough to suggest they can win this. Fekitoa another excellent performance.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Sat 28 Jun 2014, 6:58 am

The Highlanders move into the top 3 (til saturdays games) with 2 rounds to play.
I wouldnt have predicted that at the start of the season. The polar opposite of 2013.
Our off season signings have been excellent. Fekitoa, Buckman, Osborne, Hames and Christie.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 28 Jun 2014, 8:17 am

Yes Joseph can probably thank his lucky stars with winning the virtual rugby lotto with those players...(translated as great instinct Jamie!) odd since a couple of seasons ago he had all the big names and they flopped as a side.

Another horrible match coming up with the Canes and Saders both trying to put each other out, the Canes a must with only one more after that.

And I wont even mention the Blues needing to win away for the first time in decades...

Can't wait for these two games tonight though...the quality will sure be right up there...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 28 Jun 2014, 6:24 pm

Probably the best I've seen the Tahs play. Hardly any forced/unforced errors, fabulous quick ball, snappy hands and some lethal finishing.

The Brumbies were understrength but looked totally unprepared for that. Bad injury for Dennis. Looked real bad.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 28 Jun 2014, 9:59 pm

yep the tahs were really great to watch LB, really enjoyed the way the kept moving the ball, the tries, guys like Hooper in cruise mode. Tough to beat.

The Blues finally lived up to their on paper side to win their first away match in centuries.

Defensively I thought they were excellent early on and that might see them through to the finals. We all know they can score tries.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 29 Jun 2014, 7:30 am

Blues had a great win at the Force.

We've really got our eye on Ihaia West. Somebody that ginger has to have a Scottish granny somewhere. Poor lad probably goes up like a strip of magnesium in the afternoon sun.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun 29 Jun 2014, 4:19 pm

We are now at the end of the S15 season with 2 rounds to go from Nz teams point of view
all have a mathematical chance of a QF appearance.
Given the run in and points already accrued bar accidents Waratahs and Sharks will be
SF and have a home Final.
Since they`ve been league leaders that's fair enough if the Highlanders win both there
games away to Crusaders and Waratahs they`d be best placed of NZ sides.
Crusaders have two home games and would be favourites to win both with that advantage.
But Saturdays loss means realistically an away SF at best.
Sa sides Sharks aside look out of it as do Aus tho Brumbies have a mathematical chance.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 29 Jun 2014, 8:17 pm

George Carlin wrote:Blues had a great win at the Force.

We've really got our eye on Ihaia West. Somebody that ginger has to have a Scottish granny somewhere. Poor lad probably goes up like a strip of magnesium in the afternoon sun.

Yep George, like Wales best team in the comp on their day! have to pick them to do it the hardest way possible and go all the way. Their knockout started two rounds ago so theyre already in finals mode.

They get the Saders when theyre a bit fragile with Read and DC in 'tender' mode and McCaw out. The two backlines are possibly NZs best and worst at the moment. But being the Blues, and the Saders, a knockout blow by the Saders wouldnt surprise, but if not its back to Eden Park for an also struggling Chiefs and hopefully the finals, and at least they had the 10's win in Singipore to keep them on their toes. If theyd had West instead of Benji from day 1 theyd be much higher than they are now, half their season wasted through working out the Blues 10. So next year looks very promising.

Wishful thinking but hey...on their day...unbeatable.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 03 Jul 2014, 7:37 am

150th game for Mealamu for the Blues and add on his Chiefs appearances and he's 2 matches away from Nathan Sharpe's record of 162 Super rugby appearances. Phenomenal longevity and thankfully we still have that fallback option because we're not exactly brimming with options at hooker in NZ.

Crusaders have Read, Carter, Nadolo and Dagg back but I'm not sure if that's a good thing for Canterbury. I wouldn't like to see them all have full games so that means the forwards in particular have to up the intensity from last week. Definitely the Blues will arrive in Christchurch on a high with their commanding performance in Perth but the Crusaders will be stinging at dropping points against the Hurricanes. Big derby match and I'll definitely be getting up to watch this one. Whatever happens, congrats to Mealamu on a phenomenal effort.  clap 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:08 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:150th game for Mealamu for the Blues and add on his Chiefs appearances and he's 2 matches away from Nathan Sharpe's record of 162 Super rugby appearances. Phenomenal  longevity and thankfully we still have that fallback option because we're not exactly brimming with options at hooker in NZ.

Crusaders have Read, Carter, Nadolo and Dagg back but I'm not sure if that's a good thing for Canterbury. I wouldn't like to see them all have full games so that means the forwards in particular have to up the intensity from last week. Definitely the Blues will arrive in Christchurch on a high with their commanding performance in Perth but the Crusaders will be stinging at dropping points against the Hurricanes. Big derby match and I'll definitely be getting up to watch this one. Whatever happens, congrats to Mealamu on a phenomenal effort.  clap 

massive match kia. The one thing in the Blues favour mentally is theyre gone if they lose. The Saders can 'afford' one more loss. DC startings a risk I reckon. Virtually no rugby in 10 months bar a couple of halves in club and a run on last week? A Slade DC combo is untested as well. But its simple for the Blues...fire or lose.

Great re Mealamu who yields from Lauries and my Otahuhu club. Good to see he keeps the very proud club flag going up there all these years.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 04 Jul 2014, 6:01 am

Luatua will be looking to impress again after his Perth display because he could well get a spot on the November tour if he plays well against the Crusaders' back row. There's going to be fireworks up front for sure...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:01 am

Chiefs looked more like their old selves and frankly so did the Canes. Consistency seems to be a problem for the NZ franchises this year with an inability to string commanding performances together. No surprise that the national side has been similar in terms of performance.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 05 Jul 2014, 10:24 am

This Crusaders side has not much on attack. Nadolo at least was a welcome return and proved crucial. But the Blues threw everything at them and they managed to hold on with their defence. In that last quarter, the Crusaders got a roll on with some penalties and a few minor breaks from McNicoll and Todd, and the Crusaders smelled blood. Carter should've passed it inside to seal the win but in the end it wouldn't have meant another bonus point and the Blues deprived of a bonus point makes it difficult for them.

An ugly win but that was more a reflection of how hungry the Blues were so in the end you have to tip your hat to the Crusaders for holding them out. To me all the backrow players contributed and it's great to see Luatua back to where he should be. A Kaino rib shaker at the end and you realise the power the guy has. Blues Chiefs is going to be another huge forwards confrontation as they looked sharp against the Canes.

Feel for Mealamu in his 150th game but he says he's still keen to stick around so let's see how many he can get next year to add to that impressive tally.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 05 Jul 2014, 6:51 pm

Sharks are in danger of losing the all-important top perch. 17 - 13 to the Cheetahs. Meanwhile the Stormers nilled the Bulls and all in all this has generally been a Super campaign to forget for the SA sides.

Go the Cheetahs!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Sun 06 Jul 2014, 12:48 am

Go The Highlanders
Thats all!

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 06 Jul 2014, 10:35 am

Just back from the game. An overwhelming win in the end. Commiserations Gunner... the Highlanders are one of my favourite teams to watch.

Frustrating first half from the Tahs who were unable to convert their dominance on the scoreboard. The 2nd half was different once Walsh blew less whistle and let the game flow more. Some clinical finishing from our blokes once the forwards began to gain some meterage. Good move by Cheika to bring on big Willy Skelton after HT.

I thought Foley and Beale were great to watch putting the fringe defence in two minds and getting the ball out to Horne, AAC, Alofa, Folau and the new giant - Taqele Naiyaravoro.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:46 am

Holy crapola - you cannot argue with six tries to one.
Tahs are such a momentum team.
Naiyaravoro - another 6'5", 120kg wing. What do they feed them in Fiji?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 06 Jul 2014, 12:04 pm

Sago.

How do you tackle that? Shades of Jonah.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 07 Jul 2014, 8:45 am

Well, LB, I think your team is now odds on favourite to take the title.

They are looking to be the inform team and if they maintain their momentum I doubt anyone will stop them at home.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 07 Jul 2014, 9:22 am

The Tahs are deservedly the top team. I think though the fall from the top by the Sharks is more noteworthy. The Crusaders, if they continue in second spot, are likely to play then but that involves them playing a home game and then travelling to Christchurch. Furthermore, their opponents the Crusaders will not have played the previous week. The week off is not necessarily a guarantor of a win but the travel schedule is much more of an issue. Assuming the Crusaders win, a flight across the Tasman is not an issue.

The fact that one team from each conference is guaranteed access to the finals means that one team is heavily penalised in terms of travel. The way to minimise that is qualify top of the table and guarantee yourself home games. You can come close like the Brumbies and Sharks have done in recent years by qualifying from below but the travel schedule is too punitive the way the finals are set up and it's too difficult to overcome. Home advantage is almost a guarantee of success and so the Sharks will be kicking themselves that in the past two games they have given up that home advantage and now face an uphill task of qualifying.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 07 Jul 2014, 9:42 am

Ben Smith has a leg infection and is still in a Sydney hospital until Tuesday. Would be a huge blow to the Highlanders if he was ruled out of the game against the Crusaders.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 07 Jul 2014, 9:50 am

I think the Sharks are done, Jake White has played them into the ground on the overseas trip, they lost their match against the Highlanders the week before they toured, which suggested to me Jake put a lot of focus on the away leg, they did very well overseas and then came back home with a thump.

Their season in my view is over.

The only positive thing coming from the SA conference is the second half of the season when the teams al seemed to have found some form, however the two leading SA teams have been caught by the rest.

Our home derbies was attritional and the spread of wins between them have all been shared, basically the lower teams eliminating the Bulls and Sharks.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Tue 08 Jul 2014, 1:50 am

Linebreaker wrote:Just back from the game. An overwhelming win in the end. Commiserations Gunner... the Highlanders are one of my favourite teams to watch.

Frustrating first half from the Tahs who were unable to convert their dominance on the scoreboard. The 2nd half was different once Walsh blew less whistle and let the game flow more. Some clinical finishing from our blokes once the forwards began to gain some meterage. Good move by Cheika to bring on big Willy Skelton after HT.

I thought Foley and Beale were great to watch putting the fringe defence in two minds and getting the ball out to Horne, AAC, Alofa, Folau and the new giant - Taqele Naiyaravoro.

No need for commiserations LB. We were well beaten. Somehow we hung in the game til halftime. Try immediately after halftime was big blow. Was impressed with Tahs backline work. You guys will be hard to beat at home in the finals.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 10 Jul 2014, 6:32 pm

Yes, they'll need to keep up the intensity for the home semi. Most worried about the possibility of them playing the Crusaders who seem to enjoy playing here - more so than the other teams left in the mix.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:10 am

Go The Highlanders.
Im gettin married at weekend so cant see game.
I didnt see Highlanders being in playoff contention when i chose
the date in January.
B Smith a big loss.
Saders got DC, Richie and Read back.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 11 Jul 2014, 1:35 am

Have a fabulous Wedding Day!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 11 Jul 2014, 2:25 am

Yeah good on ya Gunner...didn't think people got married these days. Next there'll be some budding little Highlanders running around... thumbsup 

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 11 Jul 2014, 5:51 am

It's best you don't see the Crusaders win gunner...

That said all the best for your wedding day and beyond.  Hug 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 11 Jul 2014, 11:17 am

Chiefs make the play-offs and that has to be a worry for any side facing them. They haven't been pretty in the second half of this competition but they have the best play-off experience in recent times and like the Brumbies who are likely to win against the Force, they could prove a real challenge to the third-placed team.

So the Sharks and Crusaders have everything to play for. Get home advantage and a week's bye and cut out the travel. Tall order for whoever they have to face as it involves travel to or from SA / NZ. The Brumbies showed last year they can make the final with that travel schedule, but it takes a special team to win the final after that much travel.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 12 Jul 2014, 10:22 am

So the Sharks need to beat the Stormers by 45 points thereabouts. Don't think that will happen so the Crusaders should get a week off and a home semi final. The Waratahs will like the home final but one team that gives them the nervous liquid sh!ts is the Crusaders.

Have a great day gunner and soak it all in.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 12 Jul 2014, 12:15 pm

Tahs somehow thrashing the Reds. Reds with so much possession, territory, winning the scrums and lineouts and just doing everything possible to muck it up. Drop balls galore...Tahs are in deep trouble if thats the state of their set pieces.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next