The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 Super Rugby Season

+32
ChequeredJersey
emack2
fa0019
Gunner
toml
chewed_mintie
CraigS1874
aucklandlaurie
Hood83
butterfingers
George Carlin
yappysnap
Mr Fishpaste
Taylorman
Biltong
kingraf
blackcanelion
ebop
westisbest
nathan
Ozzy3213
BamBam
boomeranga
Welly
cdm86
The Saint
Rugby Fan
doctor_grey
rainbow-warrior
nganboy
Pal Joey
kiakahaaotearoa
36 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

2015 Super Rugby Season - Page 7 Empty 2015 Super Rugby Season

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:21 am

First topic message reminder :

The place for all things Super Rugby.  

Here we can discuss the latest team news, results, upcoming fixtures, referees performances, crowd behaviour, the cheerleaders....

George & Canelion: I've converted your Round 3 and Round 6 threads into the "super" Super Rugby Thread. A few others included in there too.

Check the links below for fixtures, results and the table.

2014 Table

2014 Results

Kiwi  Springbok  Wallaby

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:25 pm; edited 16 times in total (Reason for editing : Round 10 Fixtures & Results added.)

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

2015 Super Rugby Season - Page 7 Empty Re: 2015 Super Rugby Season

Post by kingraf Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:49 pm

Lions end the season 7-9, one result here or there and we would have had a .500 season. Proud of the boys
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:35 am

Sharks showed the Highlanders how difficult the task is ahead of them. I think results earlier in the round competition will come back to bite both the Highlanders and the Sharks. The Sharks and the Crusaders will have the prime motivation for overcoming their respective defeats earlier in the season. An away victory is a rare thing in this competition. Consecutive away victories in the same stadium are so rare, they've already been placed on the extinction list.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:46 pm

Yeah I'd be surprised if either result were the same again. The Brumbies/ Chiefs match looks the most even of any of the potential finals matches but even there the Brumbies attack looks a little strong.

Odd that our strengths in the finals will probably be our set pieces and defence rather than our ability to attack- hope fully that's a good thing as our best attacking sides are out of it (assuming the Highlanders lose).

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:54 pm

The Reds game showed that they can be attacked at the set piece. That's pretty much what the Crusaders have to offer and Nadolo. I fancy my chances if it comes to that.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:14 am

If it goes by the book home advantage is crucial so Brumbies will meet Waratahs and
Crusaders meet Sharks.If both win Waratahs get a home final and the cup fair enough
they ended top of the League.
These matches [play offs]are purely for cash and unless the conferences are of equal
strength [there not].
A more eqiuitable solution would be blind draw of the top 4 sides playing home and away
and the final in a neutral venue.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:23 am

Where is the incentive to finishing first as I feel there should be one. Your proposal is a fair one but it means too many more games and doesn't reward a team for finishing higher up. OK, the way the tournament is structured now means that it is not a fair horse race as some teams don't play other teams and get to have cracks at weaker teams more often. But if a team higher up has a distinct advantage in terms of travel and number of games, then I don't have a problem with that.

What I'd like to see is a two week break between the last knockout rounds and the final to allow teams who might well have travelled to and fro from SA or v.v. proper recovery and acclimatisation for the final.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Except the break needs to be there a bit more earlier as well. Look at what the Sharks have. (Our time)...Highlanders on Sunday and if they win the saders in Christchurch on Friday. That's leaves only 4 non playing days in between, including travel. That's absurd. 4 days is hardly enough time to recover from what is likely to be a very bruising match if Joseph has anything to say.

And the Saders stay at home for 13 days so theres a masssive advantage there.

And these two matches are probably the repeat of the two biggest upsets of the year- Highlanders win vs Sharks in Durban and the Sharks win in Christchurch. This is much different though with the jetlag hitting them immediately this time- last time they played in Oz first.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:30 pm

It is the Sharks themselves that put them in that position by losing to the Cheetahs and Stormers, they must take what comes to them.

They could though play the semi on the Saturday, why it is on a Friday I don't know
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:00 am

emack2 wrote:If it goes by the book home advantage is crucial so Brumbies will meet Waratahs and
Crusaders meet Sharks.If both win Waratahs get a home final and the cup fair enough
they ended top of the League.
These matches [play offs]are purely for cash and unless the conferences are of equal
strength [there not].
A more eqiuitable solution would be blind draw of the top 4 sides playing home and away
and the final in a neutral venue.
Yes, I've always thought just sticking the names in a hat is better Alan.

Why don't they push the playoffs out so that there is an adequate rest period for both sides? In the Pro 12 (Celtic league), given the limited geographical proximity between all sides, home advantage is the difference between winning or losing when the teams are evenly matched but in Super Rugby, playing away is a debillitating disadvantage and I've always felt is a disproportionate one.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:44 am

Biltong wrote:It is the Sharks themselves that put them in that position by losing to the Cheetahs and Stormers, they must take what comes to them.

They could though play the semi on the Saturday, why it is on a Friday I don't know

Dunno Biltong the Sunday- Friday scenario would have been known a long time ago. What should be built in is a minimum of days between matches involving travel to or from SA. The money on a friday or Sat night again points to money before player welfare. Though you're right, as a minimum theres no way Saders should be playing the Sharks (or the Highlanders) next Friday when Saturday is an option.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:15 am

The scheduling is a joke for all the play-offs. The travel is simply a killer let alone having so few days to recover and acclimatise. You can get to the final but it's a step too far to think you can win the final. The Brumbies came scarily close last year so hats off to them but it's just not likely to happen.

The problem is the season is too long with already a break for June internationals. Space out the knockout competition and you come too close to the RC. There are simply too many teams and too many games. And they're looking to expand it?!!!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:19 am

it may not be Friday though the SANZAR site has a placeholder for the Saders playing on the Friday night.

Merts was quick last night...they cut to Greg Clark and Timmy Horan looking like a couple of smiling penquins chirping away having a dig at the W's going to beat the ABs later this year and merts quips straight away 'That Jim Henson was great with the characters he created and good to see a couple of his puppets are still operational'..the timing was hilarious.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:59 am

Taylorman wrote:it may not be Friday though the SANZAR site has a placeholder for the Saders playing on the Friday night.

Merts was quick last night...they cut to Greg Clark and Timmy Horan looking like a couple of smiling penquins chirping away having a dig at the W's going to beat the ABs later this year and merts quips straight away 'That Jim Henson was great with the characters he created and good to see a couple of his puppets are still operational'..the timing was hilarious.

Missed that. That type of smug quipping really annoys me. They ought to keep it zipped.
I would never play cards with such idiots - they'd give the hand away! Complete tactlessness.

By the way - I don't play cards... well hardly ever anyway.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:07 pm

Well, I look at the Super XV that whomever leads the table at the end of regular round robin is most likely to win anyway.

Chances for the wild card to win is slim to non existent. Too much travel, hard crunch, it merely serves as a Money exercise and to placate the stakeholders
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:07 am

Linebreaker wrote:
Taylorman wrote:it may not be Friday though the SANZAR site has a placeholder for the Saders playing on the Friday night.

Missed that. That type of smug quipping really annoys me. They ought to keep it zipped.
I would never play cards with such idiots - they'd give the hand away! Complete tactlessness.

By the way - I don't play cards... well hardly ever anyway.

oh it was pretty tongue in cheek right through LB- both Greg Clark and Horan, Merts (and J Wilson and Ian Jones in the studio) were all pretty light on the subject. What impressed me was the speed in which Merts responded. Kind of why I like listening to his comments- he offers some real original points and has a laugh at the same time. Perhaps you needed to be there...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:14 am

Oh OK, mate. Déjà raconté. I seem to remember such similar banter in years gone by. Usually always the same result. You win! Smile 

Anyone watching the Brumbies-Chiefs?
The Brumbies are off to a flyer although I expect to see some some sort of resurgence from the Chiefs. Surely?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Told you it would even out. 32-25 with 5 minutes remaining. Thought Lowe was in for sure.

Anscombe scores in the corner but the conversion is missed. 32-30.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:08 pm

As expected Sharks and Brumbies through to Semi a guaranteed Aus finalist why bother?
Tahs finished top of league give them the Trophy now.
Only the Crusaders have won a title off shore and will have to do it again if they make the final.
Now if the Brumbies win there Semi?and a home final for the Crusaders?
At least barring injuries there cavalry are coming Carter,McCaw,Dagg,Read,Todd,at the right
time.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Why bother?

Both the Chiefs and Highlanders almost won!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:18 am

emack2 wrote:As expected Sharks and Brumbies through to Semi a guaranteed Aus finalist why bother?
Tahs finished top of league give them the Trophy now.
Only the Crusaders have won a title off shore and will have to do it again if they make the final.
Now if the Brumbies win there Semi?and a home final for the Crusaders?
At least barring injuries there cavalry are coming Carter,McCaw,Dagg,Read,Todd,at the right
time.

I'd agree with giving the tahs the trophy it theyd all played each other, but the Saders have not played the tahs yet so deserve a shot here. How can the Brumbies beat the Tahs if theyre playing away? Defies all logic doesnt it.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:44 am

They've beaten them away before but the last couple have gone to the Tahs.
Remember Canberra is only less than 300km from the SFS so there will be a few Brumbies fans arriving in busloads up the Hume Hwy.
So it takes about the same time to drive to here as it does for the Saders to fly to here... about 2hrs 45 mins if there is a tail wind.

OK.. OK... give us the bloody trophy before the Saders arrive.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:24 pm

On that logic, we should give the trophy to the Sharks. They've already beaten the Waratahs and the Crusaders!

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:25 pm

No, I think emack means "first past the post", i.e. the Waratahs. The sharks lost more games anyway. That's the logic we're talking about.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:40 pm

Linebreaker wrote:No, I think emack means "first past the post", i.e. the Waratahs. The sharks lost more games anyway. That's the logic we're talking about.

It was worth a shot. I can live in hope can't I? Very Happy 

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:35 pm

Mr Fishpaste wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:No, I think emack means "first past the post", i.e. the Waratahs. The sharks lost more games anyway. That's the logic we're talking about.

It was worth a shot. I can live in hope can't I? Very Happy 

Of course you can. Good luck on the weekend. That should be a good tussle with the Crusaders.
Can they do it twice in a year? If so, that would be a pretty decent achievement.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:03 am

It can't just be me, but I really enjoy playoff/knock-out Rugby. The intensity is simply up a notch, and the quality of play is always a bit higher as well.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Just watching Rugby HQ where they chatted with Bernie Larkham.

Must say I have a feeling there could be an "upset" in store for the Tahs. He's such a cool character and I'm sure the Brumbies will be itching for payback after their last encounter.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:23 am

Good first half from the Crusaders and they lead 16-6.
The Sharks looked sharp in attack early on but it's going to be a tough ask for them to win this one.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:17 am

Final score 38 - 6 to the Crusaders.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:54 am

Oh yeah baby. Red and Black in the final. Haven't ever lost a home play off ever. Go the Brumbies!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:41 am

11 8 at half time. Brumbies will be glad they're still in this and the Tahs will be worried they haven't got much of a cushion.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Is it just me, or does the ref and the commentators want the tahs to win? The tahs don't look as good as the amount of smoke that's been pumped up their bums suggests. Reckon the crusaders will pummel them in Sydney.
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:49 pm

Crusaders' key players look like they are peaking at the right time...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:52 pm

As expected both home wins if it goes to the script another Home win BUT of all the
teams.Crusaders have the pack ,set piece,loose forwards and backs to finish the job

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Travel is not a factor this year. Crusaders will worry the Tahs in the set piece and they have Nadolo to worry them if they get front foot ball. I like their chances. Can't believe Brumbies gave away so many shots at goal. Stupidity in any game let alone a semi.

That said I don't think Tahs will be as anonymous on attack as they were tonight. Folau didn't really get a go. They seemed happy to hold out the Brumbies and tick over the scoreboard and Brumbies applied no pressure in the second half by scoring regularly. Against the Sadists they'll have to chance their arm more, which might actually suit them more. Worthy finalist match up and can't wait. Will the Crusaders' curse motivate or intimidate NSW?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:17 pm

Should be a great Final.

I'll go for a draw at FT, level again at ET... and the Crusaders winning in a goal kicking shootout.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:53 pm

I'll settle for that. Why the name change and what's the significance LD? The loaded hog is a Chch watering hole so I'm taking that as a good sign.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:46 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I'll settle for that. Why the name change and what's the significance LD? The loaded hog is a Chch watering hole so I'm taking that as a good sign.

cmon kia we cant give you that one...started in the viaduct basin in Jaffa land in the 90's for the Americas cup. Went to Christchurch with Ralph I believe...

but great win for the Saders. Probably in their best position to win their second offshore title. The tahs looked ok- solid on defence but on attack largely opportunistic until they broke out late. But they were kept quiet for 40 minutes or so where the Brumbies just couldnt shake that defence.

just hope the Saders dont opt for the high octane approach all day next week as the tahs will eat up the mistakes. The Saders pack is the key,

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:47 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I'll settle for that. Why the name change and what's the significance LD? The loaded hog is a Chch watering hole so I'm taking that as a good sign.

It's a 1901 short story by Henry Lawson.

http://www.dropbears.com/l/loaded_dog/

There's a few pubs of the same name here and also a Loaded Dog local brew.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:24 am

Nice story LD. I couldn't help but imagine while reading that Andy Ellis passing a ball with a cartridge to Phipps at a scrum only for the Crusaders to win a tighthead and for Ellis to be blown up whilst retrieving it.

The Loaded Hog in the Viaduct Basin? Bit too country for a poncy area like that? It was a good thing it came to Christchurch even if Ralph was the one to bring it.  Wink Truth be told I couldn't stand the jaunt. Now I know why.  Hug 

Well, we're not far away from the game boys. It's finally here. A final and the Crusaders in a final. Memories of 2011 should be in their minds. Cheika has kept the Waratahs from worrying too much about their finals encounters with the Crusaders. Not sure about the Homebush move. Will there be more Kiwis out there than there would be at their true home ground?

I can't help but feel NSW have had the better preparation for the final. The Brumbies managed to largely restrict NSW's natural game and they still were able to get ahead comfortably. The set piece was exposed but better last week than this one and they'll no doubt have been working hard in that area. The Sharks relieved all pressure with their woeful kicking game but NSW won't make that same mistake. Richie summed it up best when he said it's about who offers up the chances and who takes those opportunities. I don't imagine this will be an open game. It will be attritional warfare and you might argue that will help the Crusaders but NSW seemed to do a good job of doing enough last week whilst not being able to play the way they liked. Read has made some bold decisions to go for the try instead of the penalty but I suspect Carter will be kicking every opportunity they get for points. I don't see this as a high scoring game.

Best of luck LD and may the Crusaders win.  Very Happy 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:00 am

Cheers kia. Good luck to your boys too.

It was quite warm today - 25 degrees (in winter!) but the forecast is for some wilder & colder weather for the weekend.

Think it will be a real arm wrestle in defence. Both sides have some heavy boppers upfront to make inroads and pop the offloads off the sides off rucks as well as lethal backline finishers.

I've purposely been trying not to think about the outcome of this match but I feel more confident when I see Cheika waving a golf club (driver) around in the dressing room. I think he will have them fully fired up and ready. Just hope they can play a controlled game with those 1%ers coming off and any 3-pointers are taken.

Whilst the players would have massive respect for Canterbury I don't believe NSW will be intimidated by their capabilities and will be ready to reply in kind if the opportunities present themselves.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:45 am

I think it's great that these two sides haven't met this season. I was surprised how close the Highlanders came to pipping the Sharks but it seems prior results can have a negative impact on your team if it won the previous match. With the final, both sides have to draw their own motivation and not rely on utu, as I imagine neither side is willing to dredge up their last final appearance.

I don't get that wild, cold forecast on the sites I looked at LD. What do you know as a local that they don't? Personally, I'll be rain dancing for both here and Sydney. 25 in winter is great going but it was like 31 degrees last night and I slept for only a couple of hours.

Think whatever the weather, it's going to be a real battle up front and to coin a cliché, whoever wins that battle will win the war.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:06 am

Looking at the forecast now it could be fine and pleasant on Sat night. 5-16 deg.
(it updates every few hours here)

The wild front coming through will peak later tonight and tomorrow but mainly affect Tas, Vic and southern NSW... and then will probably blow off towards NZ after that.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:24 am

Along with the S15 trophy...  Hug 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:26 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Along with the S15 trophy...  Hug 

Didn't realise they'd flown it over from Hamilton already.  Wink 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:29 pm

Just for appearance's sake. Wouldn't want you lot to think there's no hope of winning it.  Wink 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:41 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Just for appearance's sake. Wouldn't want you lot to think there's no hope of winning it.  Wink 

We have about as much as a chance of winning it as Los Colchoneros had I'd say.  Smile 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Then you don't buy into the talk of the Crusaders as favourites, then.  Smile 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:54 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Then you don't buy into the talk of the Crusaders as favourites, then.  Smile 

Nah, time for another upset for the punters.  Very Happy 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 am

Surprised the NZRU didn't ship the Bledisloe Cup over as well, as by all accounts, it's in the bag for the wallabies Wink
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next