General RL Discussion!

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

General RL Discussion! - Page 9 Empty General RL Discussion!

Post by Luke on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

A thread we're we can discuss our sides, what's happening in RL, the future and everything else to do with Rugby League.

I really hope that Cas can keep up there early form and stay in the top 8.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

General RL Discussion! - Page 9 Empty Re: General RL Discussion!

Post by Pal Joey on Sat 16 May 2020, 12:40 pm

The Beast wrote:
Pal Joey wrote:GH1895, The Beast and Luke,

Some good news guys with the season kicking off in just under 2 weeks on Thursday 28 May... early morning your time.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl-draw-revealed-broncos-and-eels-showdown-to-kick-off-opening-weekend-20200515-p54td9.html

It's been tough here without our beloved sport but also surprising how well we've coped. I've been following since the early 70s and never would've thought we'd have a year without RL.

Some good match ups to get things rolling again. I have a feeling the game will come back stronger than ever. I'm actually happy we're back to one ref - speeds things up with less interference. We had only one ref for 101 years or so and it will be like a blast from the past to see that again. If blunders are made then we'll just have to live with it but I'm sure we're all just itching to see some action again.

Take care guys... hope you can enjoy the upcoming games wherever you are. OK

Thank and a warm welcome.

It sounds like your government have done a significantly better job than ours of containing the virus, protecting vulnerable people and the staff caring for them.

Sky Sports will be showing the games, which personally I don't have and I am have spending a silly amount of time working of late.  I am hopeful however I can see games perhaps on You Tube (other platforms are available).  As a Bradford Bulls supporter whilst saddened at the time to see them go it is good to see former academy products Elliott Whitehead and John Bateman making an impact.

I find your comment on two referees particularly interesting my complaint here is the ruck generally (particularly in the lower divisions) is horribly messy and slow.  When I see NRL games it always stands out to me the at tackle areas are much much cleaner, I have been thinking that two officials would help?  Perhaps not and maybe there is a different culture in your competition?

Best wishes to you and family and likewise take care.

Cheers mate. Best wishes to you and your family too.

Have a feeling that with going back to one ref now they won't tolerate any nonsense and try very hard ensure quick play the balls. I think with two refs there was a little over-policing... penalties given for minor infringements in back play or in areas just off the main action. Sometimes it had that air of calling up something just to let the players know 'who's the boss!'... which was amplified with 2 refs in the mix.

The one ref will have to keep on top of those types of things in back play but I believe they've been given instructions not to allow any nonsense and crack down early... which should keep the onus on the players not to risk penalties. Also saw something today about more attention will be paid to holding down in the tackle / grappling in the ruck and I'm guessing the players will be made aware of that in no uncertain terms to keep the game flowing.

The government here have done pretty well. People have mostly complied with the restrictions but there were still a few doing silly things and getting caught out and fined. There has been a lot of pressure from the NRL to get things going (even a few weeks back) but it was put down pretty quickly. I'm just hoping we can get through the remaining 18 rounds without interruption or worse - stopped dead in its tracks again and season abandoned.

We need to be careful firing up the season again because it's now getting towards winter flu season... and with the huge shadow of covid still looming in our conscience they'll be on high alert; even though the numbers are very low and things have been quite well contained thus far.

In a way it will be like a living scientific experiment to see if things can be kept under control. However, if there are any bad signs or new localised outbreaks occur near where they are playing, then I'm sure the government will force the NRL to slam the doors shut again. Fingers crossed we can get through the rest of this season unscathed.
Pal Joey
Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke on Tue 19 May 2020, 3:02 pm

Hey Beast,Joey, hopefully you and yours are all well and surviving.

It's good news, and hopefully will get some interest back into the sport. Although watching the highlights of the behind close doors games before then, was kind of weird. But it certainly gives fans something to look forward to.

Unfortunately in England, it wouldn't surprise me if the game doesn't return. There's to much lack of clarity, about how many games, promotion and relegation, players, wether there should be some fans or not etc. And whilst these are all valid concerns, I wish someone would just take control. And set out a plan for the rest of the year, (personally no relegation, promote the top 2, and have 14 team leagues, and get rid of the loop fixtures, same for the championship).

I agree with beast on the 2 referees, with the way it is over here. Think we need to go that root, will be interesting to see the reaction.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum