The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager?

+27
TRUSSMAN66
GSC
FootballLight
Geordie
Hero
Atila
kwinigolfer
Stella
Soldier_Of_Fortune
dyrewolfe
super_realist
Fernando
Mad for Chelsea
CFCNick
kingraf
seanmichaels
Holymiky
sportform
Hulking_up
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Bull
Dolphin Ziggler
Nakatomi Plaza
Ent
compelling and rich
It Must Be Love
31 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Who should be the next United manager?

If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Vote_lcap54%If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 13 ]
If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Vote_lcap8%If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 2 ]
If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Vote_lcap21%If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 5 ]
If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 24

If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Empty If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager?

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 21 Apr 2014, 4:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26352231

Tabloids are reporting that Moyes is on the verge of being sacked... if he is sacked now or at the end of the season; who should replace him?

Once we get 3-4 suggestions or so I'll start a poll.

Last edited by Starlight on Mon 21 Apr 2014, 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Empty Re: If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager?

Post by Ent Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:10 pm

Prob just asked in his CL press conference.

God no ones coming near us with a 10 foot barge pole.

Bring back Moyes?

Ent

Back to top Go down

If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager? - Page 3 Empty Re: If Moyes is sacked, who should be next United Manager?

Post by Geordie Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:13 pm

Whi is a ligitamate target?

Guardiola - Nope, never gonna leave Bayern
Va Gaal - Is he good enough?
Simeone - Why would he leave Atletico? Is it a one season wonder as he's very inexperienced?

Who else?

Anyway the one thing for sure, is that who ever comes in has to gut the squad. I dont care about the arguement that its a championship winning side. Fergy provided an x-factor. This squad is poor. Simple as.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:19 pm

It isn't poor, there are some problem areas and it isn't vintage but it isn't poor.

De Gea is a top goal keeper.

Prior to this season you would have said Rafael was playing very well and that Evans was a very good centre half. You then had Vidic and Rio as experience and 2 younger centre halfs to come through.

We need a centre half and a left back.

Carrick was excellent last season and Cleverly was a good solid squad player capable of filling in holes. Doing well representing his country. Everyone was raving about Fellaini last year (though I think he is crap).

Valencia is a good solid player, Januzaj is coming through. Mata one of Chelseas best players over the last few seasons, kagawa a german player of the year (I don't rate him personally but many others do).

Rooney, RVP, Hernandez, Welbeck - no complaints about the forward line.

A lot of players have gone backwards this season but that squad is a lot better than 7th and the way it has been playing. It is by no means poor.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:21 pm

Mark Hughes's phone has been on speed dial to OT all morning I bet.

VG is certainly good enough I'd say, the work he's previously done at Ajax, AZ, Bayern and Barca show that, he'd also ruffle the complacent feathers of the Utd squad.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:32 pm

He seems most likely.

Big name and available.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:35 pm

61% win ratio over a 20 year managerial career, won domestic titles with 4 different clubs and the CL. He's not a bad option at all tbh.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:37 pm

Has Van Gaal had his best days? Didn't do that well at Bayern did he. Seems like getting a big name for the sake of it.
May as well get Capello or Trappatoni
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:41 pm

He won the league and got to the CL final with Bayern. Signing Robben etc. Lost this job for coming 3rd though.

Mixed performance really.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:50 pm

But Ent...
On the other side you could argue:

De Gea is a top goal keeper.
I agree - and getting better

Prior to this season you would have said Rafael was playing very well and that Evans was a very good centre half. You then had Vidic and Rio as experience and 2 younger centre halfs to come through.
Rafael is decent, but i dont think he's a top notch RB. He hasnt fulfilled his potential.

Rio and Vidic WERE good, but are too injury prone to be the backbone of the team anymore. 2 top class CB's are required minimum. Why have they messed about with Jones in midfield etc etc.

Carrick was excellent last season and Cleverly was a good solid squad player capable of filling in holes. Doing well representing his country. Everyone was raving about Fellaini last year (though I think he is crap).
Carrick would have been a bench player in previous squads...decent passer thats about it. Cleverley would not have lasted in previous Utd squads. He's only in this one because Man Utds midfield options are the worst in years and years. He should be nowhere near the England squad.
Fellani is a decent player, but not a UTD player and signing him was desperation on Moyes part.

Valencia is a good solid player, Januzaj is coming through. Mata one of Chelseas best players over the last few seasons, kagawa a german player of the year (I don't rate him personally but many others do).

Valencia is solid but doesnt create as many as he should. Januzaj...see how he goes. Mata is quality...build the midfield around him.

Rooney, RVP, Hernandez, Welbeck - no complaints about the forward line.
Rooney is critical to UTD. RVP back to his old injury prone ways...you'll not get another season out of him like last season. Hernandez is a decent bench option, but no Solkjaer...and i dont rate Welbeck.

A lot of players have gone backwards this season but that squad is a lot better than 7th and the way it has been playing. It is by no means poor.
A lot of the players have gone back wards because they are too old and injury prone - RVP, Rio, Vidic, or simply not consistantly good enough for a club that has been at the top for so long - like Ashley Youngs, Smalling, Cleverley, Welbeck, that dutch or belgian left back, Evans...etc etc.

Its only my opinion, but i just think there is alot of deadwood in there, and Moyes (who certainly hasnt helped himself) has taken the fall for that.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Tue 22 Apr 2014, 4:18 pm

Pep will not go there, Simone will not go there and neither will Klopp. So that on;y leaves Van Gaal who is in fact the current front runner or Giggs for the job. Why were any of them 3 managers ever linked, I will never know.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 4:22 pm

Ent wrote:Moyes wasn't a gamble it was an idiotic decision that was never going to work.

It wasn't an idiotic decision at all.........People would say the same about Brendan Rogers If he'd been lost after finishing 7th last year.....

He's turned out to be a golden choice..

Just hasn't worked out that's all ...Partly because Utd have a bunch of primadonna types who won't listen to a guy they don't think has achieved and Liverpool players were prepared to give Rogers a chance...

Klopp should think twice before accepting.............He knows he hits the ground running or suffers the same fate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 22 Apr 2014, 4:26 pm

FootballLight wrote:Pep will not go there, Simone will not go there and neither will Klopp. So that on;y leaves Van Gaal who is in fact the current front runner or Giggs for the job. Why were any of them 3 managers ever linked, I will never know.

I would rather Giggs than Van Gaal. At least Giggs has respect of the fans, current players and should have a decent grasp of how to build a decent squad.

Though its been proven before that great players dont always make great managers. Maybe worth a shot if the options available are not that good.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Tue 22 Apr 2014, 4:29 pm

What I'm going to find interesting now is, whichever manager takes over, it will be interesting to see his new formation if there is one, a new style of footballing play, again if there is one, who he decides to sign/sell and more importantly how he picks the United players up from this season. It will be an interesting combination of ideas for whomever will take over. Van Gaal is undoubtedly best for the job, imo.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Apr 2014, 4:32 pm

Van Gaal hasn't won anything since 2010...is he really the best man for the job?

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 22 Apr 2014, 4:34 pm

Doesnt Van Gaal also come with a reputation of getting players backs up with his attitude.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Tue 22 Apr 2014, 4:36 pm

The last time he managed at a club level was 2011 when he left Bayern and has been at Netherlands National Team since 2012. It's not a surprise he hasn't won anything over the last 4 years. But, if you look at his record and reputation on a whole as ell as his experience, who do you think you would take? Van Gaal, Pep or Simone? For me, it is certainly Van Gaal and his style of football as a player and manager as well as his coaching techniques, they all suit United's past footballing credentials.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 22 Apr 2014, 4:44 pm

Guardiola would have an aneurysm getting Manchester to play using his philosophy. Tika Taka looks graceful, but it's an awful lot of work hurrying teams off the ball, and even harder progressing forward in little triangles.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:00 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Doesnt Van Gaal also come with a reputation of getting players backs up with his attitude.

He's one that speaks his mind and it's his way or the highway. Something though that in fairness SAF did for 20 years and worked.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:09 pm

This is a pretty decent article on Van Gaal:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/van-gaals-vision-seeks-recreate-football-utopia

If he comes to Utd I'd very much expect them to get Strootman finally.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:10 pm

Cant believe Alex Ferguson isn't on the poll. Don't think it'll happen but cant be ruled out.

More long term, I'd put my money on a Giggs/G.Neville pairing, based on the remaining games going well.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:11 pm

Thought it was phil Neville?

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:13 pm

Phil's there as a coach but I mean Gary joining forces after the World Cup.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm

That would be a huge blow to Sky Sports. He is a great pundit.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm

Does anyone follow Paddy Power on twitter? The have cracked me up all day.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:24 pm

Oh right fair enough, not sure Gary would be up for that.
Think he's loving life at the moment.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:25 pm

I do follow Paddy Power, some of there tweets are pretty funny, but i get the feeling they try to hard to impress.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:30 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Does anyone follow Paddy Power on twitter? The have cracked me up all day.

Any particular highlights?

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:55 pm

The Paddy Power account is the best one on twitter. Their tweets on day 4 of the open were classic
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Tue 22 Apr 2014, 5:56 pm

Strootman won't join United. I thought about that earlier, but having only just joined a much improved Roma side, why would he leave to a declining United side? Besides, at least he will be playing Champions League football, well European football for that matter.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 22 Apr 2014, 6:01 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Ent wrote:Moyes wasn't a gamble it was an idiotic decision that was never going to work.

It wasn't an idiotic decision at all.........People would  say the same about Brendan Rogers If he'd been lost after finishing 7th last year.....

He's turned out to be a golden choice..

Just hasn't worked out that's all ...Partly because Utd have a bunch of primadonna types who won't listen to a guy they don't think has achieved and Liverpool players were prepared to give Rogers a chance...

Klopp should think twice before accepting.............He knows he hits the ground running or suffers the same fate..
A chance like they gave Roy Hodgson?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 22 Apr 2014, 6:05 pm

What Rodgers had to his advantage too was the further decline of Liverpool and the fact Gerrard knew he needed guidance to keep his career going and Carragher was on his last legs. I think their personal ambitions probably shuffled a bit which helped Rodgers.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 22 Apr 2014, 6:07 pm

FootballLight wrote:Pep will not go there, Simone will not go there and neither will Klopp. So that on;y leaves Van Gaal who is in fact the current front runner or Giggs for the job. Why were any of them 3 managers ever linked, I will never know.
Pep won't go to United because there is work to be done. It's not like taking over Barcelona where most of the work had been done for you or like taking over Bayern who already had a great squad.

I couldn't care less is Simone didn't want the job. I wouldn't offer it to him at all.

Either Klopp or Van Gaal would be my choices.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 22 Apr 2014, 6:13 pm

If you really think most of the work was done at Barca pre pep you're ignorant
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by FootballLight Tue 22 Apr 2014, 6:16 pm

Atila wrote:
Pep won't go to United because there is work to be done. It's not like taking over Barcelona where most of the work had been done for you or like taking over Bayern who already had a great squad.

I couldn't care less is Simone didn't want the job. I wouldn't offer it to him at all.

Either Klopp or Van Gaal would be my choices.

I don't even see why Pep Guardiola is rated as one of the best in the world really. But then again, when you go to clubs like Bayern and Barcelona, you don't expect better than the best, because that is how they were known when he had taken charge at both clubs. He has had to work his way up to the top and it has paid off massively for him. I can see why some rate him, but I personally don't.

Simeone I would certainly offer the job, but I would make Van Gaal my priority target and I would do my utmost to get him to become Man United manager after he leaves Holland after the World Cup. Simeone would probably be my 3rd target if anyone. If I wasn't to get Van Gaal, I'd leave Giggs in charge. So actually, contradicting myself here, Simeone wouldn't be a target at all in the summer. Klopp I just think would want to stay at Dortmund and I don't see why he would want to leave what is a forward-thinking club.

FootballLight

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 22 Apr 2014, 6:40 pm

People seem to think Pep walked into a happy dressing room with stars at their peak and told them to go out and play
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 22 Apr 2014, 6:42 pm

There are so many clear reasons to leave Dortmund for Manchester United. His personal loyalty is very, very personal to him though and you can understand why he'd stay

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 22 Apr 2014, 7:13 pm

Pep is a philosopher. Some people like him, others don't. I like him, when I play Fifa, I play Guardi-balla. A dazzling array of passing the ball into the net. When I have a knock around with my mates , we pack the midfield and pass it around till we lose it six passes later. Which incidentally is the reason Manc probably get thrashed playing Guardiballa
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 22 Apr 2014, 8:21 pm

Ent wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Does anyone follow Paddy Power on twitter? The have cracked me up all day.

Any particular highlights?

@paddypower
BREAKING MAN UTD NEWS:
Dion Dublin is 45 today!
PS.David Moyes has been sacked pic.twitter.com/4xDtEyjYg9

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 22 Apr 2014, 8:26 pm

@paddypower
Giggs takes charge of his first United training session and begins to share his vast experience with his squad pic.twitter.com/FZ6xxEDztA

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 22 Apr 2014, 8:28 pm

@paddypower
Apparently Danny Welbeck went into the boardroom and said, ‘It’s either me or the boss.’ Decision made then.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 22 Apr 2014, 8:30 pm

@paddypower
David Moyes is sacked, the world of football reacts... pic.twitter.com/28xexIb4mn

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Tue 22 Apr 2014, 8:37 pm

Hero wrote:I'd disagree on Dortmund growing as a team, whilst they have the best fans on the planet they'll forever be in Bayern's shadow and will continue to be pillaged by them for their top players. They'll be forced to sell Reus overseas this summer simply through fear he'll go to Bayern for his release clause next year.

Reus won't go to Bayern, he is a Dortmund fan and had the choice between going to BVB and Bayern and picked the former. If they continue to get to the latter stages of the CL they'll have no problem keeping their better players or at the least get ridiculous money for them.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:21 pm

monty junior wrote:
Hero wrote:I'd disagree on Dortmund growing as a team, whilst they have the best fans on the planet they'll forever be in Bayern's shadow and will continue to be pillaged by them for their top players. They'll be forced to sell Reus overseas this summer simply through fear he'll go to Bayern for his release clause next year.

Reus won't go to Bayern, he is a Dortmund fan and had the choice between going to BVB and Bayern and picked the former. If they continue to get to the latter stages of the CL they'll have no problem keeping their better players or at the least get ridiculous money for them.

Unlike Gotze perhaps who'd been at Dortmund since he was 8 but quickly packed his bags when Pep fluttered his eyelashes at him. Yes Reus has gone on record to say Bayern will never have him, words mean nothing though when the bumper contract offer comes in especially when his current wage is 60k a week.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:24 pm

That's one of the main reasons I'd love Klopp to come also, because he'd most definitely bring Reus as if you believe the stories, Reus has always been fond of going to utd.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:34 pm

Klopp will have to leave one day. I suppose you don't turn down the Barca job, but its not like he can buy anyone there. I'd fully expect them to go for an ex-player like Luis Enrique safe in the knowledge that any failure can be explained away by the transfer embargo.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:51 pm

GSC wrote:The Paddy Power account is the best one on twitter. Their tweets on day 4 of the open were classic

There is a LOT better.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:54 pm

Yeh I agree with the Enrique appointment. Think he's been touted since Pep left. They like to keep it in house at Barca so Klopp may not go there after all.

I just can't see why, as great a relationship he has with the fans, why there's much point staying in the bundesliga. Bayern just bought his two best players, they have all the money and probably will romp to the title again. Why not come to the prem and rebuild utd? He'll leave Dortmund with his head held high and have left them in good stead.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Tue 22 Apr 2014, 11:17 pm

Hero wrote:
monty junior wrote:

Unlike Gotze perhaps who'd been at Dortmund since he was 8 but quickly packed his bags when Pep fluttered his eyelashes at him. Yes Reus has gone on record to say Bayern will never have him, words mean nothing though when the bumper contract offer comes in especially when his current wage is 60k a week.

My point was though he has already had the chance to go to Bayern earning more money but he chose to move to Dortmund. Now money and success are a powerful combo but I don't think he will leave for Bayern. Despite all the money of BVB about Bayern they've only actually bought one of their players and even that was for a ridiculous fee which enabled them to buy 3 new players.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Wed 23 Apr 2014, 7:17 am

Jürgen Klopp has ruled himself out of the United job, but has said his brother Klippety is interested...

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 24 Apr 2014, 6:55 pm

Don't understand why Ancelotti is being linked as one of the favorites. He can still achieve a treble with Real Madrid which would be a fantastic achievement, has the best player in the world at his disposal, surrounding by a fantastic team which is more balanced than a Real Madrid team has been for a number of years and a chequebook without any limit. If he is sacked, which is always a possibility at Madrid every top team in Europe will be looking at him, teams who are in the Champions League and don't require a huge re-building job.

One of the main attractions to the job last summer was the assurances that Manchester United were different and committed to longevity and consistency. The Moyes sacking, while justified, has shown that not to be true. Without Champions League football, an ageing squad, a basically unknown style of running the club (can't look to Ferguson's reign as example) and a huge rebuilding job means other than Manchester United being one of the biggest clubs in the world, there isn't a huge level of attraction to top level coaches.

Van Gaal is a short term option, at 62 he's not got too long left in the game and he's been out of club football for two years. There is very little incentive for him to build a squad for the future, Van Persie is reportedly one of the main attractions for him to go to United, despite Van Persie having one or two more seasons as a top striker when you take into account his injury history. That means even if Van Gaal stays for five years, you're faced with same problems.

United appointed wrongly last summer and have managed to lose a lot of their attractiveness.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next