The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newcastle Falcons - Pre Season 2014 - USE SEASON THREAD NOW

+22
Driver
Geordie
funnyExiledScot
RDW
Heaf
formerly known as Sam
yappysnap
LondonTiger
lostinwales
SirBurger
Majestic83
B91212
Ozzy3213
Fluxy
aitchw
Jimpy
Scrumpy
HongKongCherry
Hound of Harrow
HammerofThunor
Cumbrian
George Carlin
26 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Newcastle Falcons - Pre Season 2014 - USE SEASON THREAD NOW - Page 5 Empty Newcastle Falcons - Pre Season 2014 - USE SEASON THREAD NOW

Post by Geordie Thu 24 Apr 2014, 1:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Manager: Dean Richards
Head Coach: John Wells
Forwards Coach: John Wells
Defence Coach: Graham Steadman
Attack Coach: Dave Walder

Current Squad:
Forwards
Props: Keiron Brookes, Scott Wilson, Rob Vickers , Oliver Tomaszczyk  Eric Fry, James Hallam (On loan to London Scottish)
Hookers: Matt Thompson (On loan Darlington), Scott Lawson, George McGuigan, David Nelson, Rob Hawkins
Second Rows: Scott MacLeod, Dom Barrow, Callum Green, Kane Thompson, Josh Furno, Uili Kolo'ofai, Glen Youngs, Will Witty, Sean Robinson (On Loan to Rotherham)
Back Row: Ally Hogg, Will Welch, Richard Mayhew, Andy Saull, Mark Wilson, Chris York, Dan Temm, Ben Morris (On Loan to Rotherham)

Backs
SH's: Warren Fury, Mike Blair, Ruki Tipuna, Andy Davies (On Loan to Rotherham)
Fh's: Rory Clegg, Phil Godman, Craig Willis
Centres: Juan Pablo Socino, Jamie Helleur, Adam Powell, Danny Barnes, Gonzalo Tiesi, Andy Tuilagi, Chris Harris (On Loan to Rotherham)Wing: Alex Tuilagi, Noah Cato, Zac Kibirige, Sinoti Sinoti, Sean Brown, Tom Penny, Lee Smith
FB's: Tom Catterick, Alex Tait, Simon Hammersley

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Wed 03 Sep 2014, 1:53 pm; edited 19 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - Pre Season 2014 - USE SEASON THREAD NOW - Page 5 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - Pre Season 2014 - USE SEASON THREAD NOW

Post by lostinwales Mon 07 Jul 2014, 1:44 pm

Tuilagi vs Tuilagi 1st up. Could be fun

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - Pre Season 2014 - USE SEASON THREAD NOW - Page 5 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - Pre Season 2014 - USE SEASON THREAD NOW

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Jul 2014, 11:44 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I'm not sure it'll be hugely expansive Burger, I think we'll just look to use the backs a little more than last season (we basically didn't use them at all)

I'd expect us to mix it up and bring in the big runners to get us over the gain line and on the front foot. We struggled to get any momentum last season until the final few games. We just didn't have anybody to break the line bar Sinoti.

Now we have the Tuilagi brothers, Socino and a few heavy hitters in the pack.

Absolutely Sarge.

Lots of Critisicism of the Tuilagi signing as past it etc. Our backs are quite skilled but we have massively missed some serious oomph in there for route 1 when its needed (in the pack aswell I think). If managed properly Alex can do that still, and add in Sinotti and Socino finally we look to have a much better balance of lightweight runners and power.

JImpy obviously doesn't like the Falcons and I guess we'll probably get beat down at Welford but I think we'll be a different proposition this season...the pack has made some very aggressive powerful players aswell like Furno and Calum Green.

I also think with McGuigan and Brookes (and Wilson fighting for the 3 spot) we have the makings of a big powerful front row. Just want to see what happens at LH if Vickers continues his form.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 10 Jul 2014, 12:20 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:I'm not sure it'll be hugely expansive Burger, I think we'll just look to use the backs a little more than last season (we basically didn't use them at all)

I'd expect us to mix it up and bring in the big runners to get us over the gain line and on the front foot. We struggled to get any momentum last season until the final few games. We just didn't have anybody to break the line bar Sinoti.

Now we have the Tuilagi brothers, Socino and a few heavy hitters in the pack.

Absolutely Sarge.

Lots of Critisicism of the Tuilagi signing as past it etc. Our backs are quite skilled but we have massively missed some serious oomph in there for route 1 when its needed (in the pack aswell I think). If managed properly Alex can do that still, and add in Sinotti and Socino finally we look to have a much better balance of lightweight runners and power.

JImpy obviously doesn't like the Falcons and I guess we'll probably get beat down at Welford but I think we'll be a different proposition this season...the pack has made some very aggressive powerful players aswell like Furno and Calum Green.

I also think with McGuigan and Brookes (and Wilson fighting for the 3 spot) we have the makings of a big powerful front row. Just want to see what happens at LH if Vickers continues his form.

On the contrary, i love the Falcons, they're worth 8 - 10 points for Tigers every season...

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Jul 2014, 12:29 pm

thumbsup 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 Jul 2014, 12:35 pm

Yet not enough to win anything.....

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 10 Jul 2014, 12:53 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Yet not enough to win anything.....

That might even be amusing if it wasn't coming from a Falcons supporter....oh the irony....

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 Jul 2014, 1:07 pm

I support Saints Jimpy

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Jul 2014, 1:08 pm

But Jimpy we're not the ones saying we're the best etc. We know where we are as a club, but we also see huge potential.

Your the one constantly slating us...maybe you should focus on your own side as they seem to be dropping down the pecking order in England these days - coincidentally since the Falcons have stopped giving you all our best players!  Wink 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 10 Jul 2014, 1:37 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I support Saints Jimpy

Ah....jolly good. Saints win one AP title in god knows how long and suddenly it gives their fans the right to take the pee out of a club that's dominated the domestic game for decades....

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 10 Jul 2014, 1:39 pm

Jimpy wrote:

Ah....jolly good. Saints win one AP title in god knows how long and suddenly it gives their fans the right to take the pee out of a club that's dominated the domestic game for decades....
You seem surprised by this Jimpy. It's definitely what I would do.  king
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 10 Jul 2014, 1:40 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:But Jimpy we're not the ones saying we're the best etc. We know where we are as a club, but we also see huge potential.

Your the one constantly slating us...maybe you should focus on your own side as they seem to be dropping down the pecking order in England these days - coincidentally since the Falcons have stopped giving you all our best players!  Wink 

I know and now it seems that Tigers are returning the favour by their cast offs showing up at Falcons ....  Whistle 

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 10 Jul 2014, 1:41 pm

George Carlin wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

You seem surprised by this Jimpy. It's definitely what I would do.  king

drumroll 

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 Jul 2014, 1:43 pm

I don't think anyone is taking the "pee" Jimpy, it was you that came onto this thread and started belittling Falcons. You don't become more right if the club you support are better than another, you just come across as arrogant.

You seem to have a history in this.....

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 10 Jul 2014, 1:49 pm

Not really, I came onto this thread and explained that Tuilagi might not be the signing the ever optimistic Falcons supporters think he might be. Which, by the way, is perfectly plausible. The other stuff is just a little banter, Falcons don't have a brilliant contemporary record of winning much do they? Believe me, they give as good as they get, which is fine. Now don't be so precious about things, i'm sure they can look after themselves....

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 Jul 2014, 2:05 pm

Where have you mentioned Tuiagi in this thread? All I've seen you do is continually knock Falcons.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Jul 2014, 2:18 pm

Jimpy...I don't think any falcons fan is deluded enough to think Tuilagi is the player he was.

As I mentioned above most of our backs are lightweight and we badly missed some serious power last season. An aging Tuilagi can still provide that if managed properly and should balance well with the excellent and powerful Sinotti and the more lightweight players.

And Sgt is right...you have simply come on here and started belittling our club. That just shows arrogance! Especially from a fan of a club that is not the force it was!

I know and now it seems that Tigers are returning the favour by their cast offs showing up at Falcons .... Whistle
And as for that...hows Matthew Tait...?? Must be best mates with your physio now eh?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 10 Jul 2014, 3:13 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Jimpy...I don't think any falcons fan is deluded enough to think Tuilagi is the player he was.

As I mentioned above most of our backs are lightweight and we badly missed some serious power last season. An aging Tuilagi can still provide that if managed properly and should balance well with the excellent and powerful Sinotti and the more lightweight players.

And Sgt is right...you have simply come on here and started belittling our club. That just shows arrogance! Especially from a fan of a club that is not the force it was!

I know and now it seems that Tigers are returning the favour by their cast offs showing up at Falcons ....  Whistle
And as for that...hows Matthew Tait...?? Must be best mates with your physio now eh?

Yep, took a year out from winning the league this year....  picard 

Tait played quite a lot last season, hardly the sick note Tom Croft is for example. Come to think of it, Croft is rumoured to be fit for pre-season, stranger things have happened, he may play a greater part in the 14/15 season.

Last edited by Jimpy on Thu 10 Jul 2014, 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm

Tait was excellent last season I thought, about time he nailed the FB slot.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 13 Jul 2014, 9:40 am

So a new 3G pitch to aid Falcons push to a more attacking style?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 13 Jul 2014, 12:26 pm

It'll be interesting to see LT.

I don't think anyone should expect an all singing all dancing style. Its difficult to keep a pitch in good shape in the north east through the winter...so this will help.

We'll play a direct game, physical aggressive pack and try to be efficient in the backs, where we have a bit more balance now of physicality and pace.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 13 Jul 2014, 2:40 pm

We're signing another lock????

I can't my head around our recruitment policy at the minute. We're crying out for a 10 and LH and we just keep signing locks!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm

Whos the new lock?

I wouldn't hold much hope for a new 10. Clegg, Godman, Socino and Willis are there...I think Socino and Clegg will be the main two.

As for LH we have Vickers and Fry. Not much room for error and so far the Fry signing doesn't inspire me (although he was in the championship team of the season so ill wait till I see him on the pitch)

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 13 Jul 2014, 9:02 pm

Rumours of ex Quins LH playing French rugby and an Int lock, Southern Hemisphere

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 13 Jul 2014, 10:43 pm

Well I don't see the point in bringing in another lock...especially not another NEQ player.

We already have Scott MacLeod, Dom Barrow, Callum Green, Josh Furno, Uili Kolo'ofai, Glen Youngs, Will Witty, Sean Robinson (On Loan to Rotherham)??

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sun 13 Jul 2014, 11:00 pm

Glen Youngs, Will Witty, Sean Robinson (On Loan to Rotherham)??

None of them will play and Furno will be 6.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 13 Jul 2014, 11:12 pm

I'm not sure Furno will always be 6. He's mostly a lock who can play 6.

But still gives us 5 locks and I still think Glen Youngs could get a run out in some minor cup games.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 13 Jul 2014, 11:50 pm

I wonder who it is??? Must be an ex Int like Donnelly?? Hopefully it'll be a right bruiser

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sun 13 Jul 2014, 11:56 pm

I reckon it will be a big 4 , I'v done some googling and a name which stands out for me is Jason Eaton ,  His 6 month deal in Japan is up this month.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 14 Jul 2014, 12:00 am

He'd be a good signing I suppose, I just hope Barrow gets plenty of game time (hopefully leading the line) as he could be outstanding.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Mon 14 Jul 2014, 12:02 am

Barrow will do , my only other thought is that they're looking to give Green some more time around the side rather than throwing him straight in.

Anyone else see the photo from pre-season with Scotty packing down at 1?
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 14 Jul 2014, 9:56 am

Jason Eaton...hes a big aggressive lock. But i thought thats what we signed Green for.
Maybe as you say Driver, they're looking to ease him in rather than throw him in.

Scotty at 1?? No i didnt see that pic. Would they really do that?

We could have a big mobile back 5 thats for sure.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 14 Jul 2014, 12:41 pm

Wilson at loose-head is an odd decision to me. He's developing into a good tight-head (relative to his age/experience) and good tight-heads are rarer than hens teeth at the moment. I get that Brookes is there, but would it hurt to have two young tight-heads driving each other on for the same position? I wouldn't like to think that in 4-5 years time we are sitting here lamenting the fact that there are no decent tight heads about...

I'm hoping the international lock isn't somebody like Tomas Vallejos. I know we need a good squad depth, but the team is crying out for some quality in key positions and lock seems okay to me.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 14 Jul 2014, 1:00 pm

Yeah your right Cumbrian...keep Brookes and Wilson battling each other. Its competition.

We do need a LH though...but it would appear that we are poised to sign Alex Rogers former Quins academy LH from Lile or somewhere in France. I have little knowledge of the guy...

It means our LH's are Vickers, Fry and Rogers. Ill hold judgment until i see them play.

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Mon 14 Jul 2014, 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 14 Jul 2014, 1:09 pm

Alex Rogers is a blast from the past, I thought he'd had to retire!

From what I remember him of him, he was massive and tall for a prop 6ft 3in or 6ft 4in. He must be around 26 or 27 now.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 14 Jul 2014, 1:11 pm

Not sure mate, dont know much about him.

Isnt Eric Fry about 6'4 aswell?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 14 Jul 2014, 1:12 pm

Reckon so, it probably isn't that usual now. Stuck in the days when props were short and squat. Smile
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 14 Jul 2014, 1:16 pm

I suspect we have most of our signings now...i honestly dont see a 10 coming in...unless its Curtley Beale whos aparently considering returning to league because he cant get in at 10 for Australia. Id give him a trial.

So that leaves us...Godman, Clegg, Socino and Willis. I suspect Clegg and Socino will share the duties.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 14 Jul 2014, 1:30 pm

I think Driver may have something in the Eaton prospect

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 14 Jul 2014, 1:48 pm

Didnt realise that he was also at the same Japanese club as the Tuilagis?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Mon 14 Jul 2014, 5:51 pm

I have a pretty good lead on the Eaton deal , should be done soon enough.

I was thinking about Scott playing one earlier and i thought with his scrummaging being OK but his loose work being top draw , loosehead could suit him.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 14 Jul 2014, 5:56 pm

Wilson is still very young and raw.

I hope he sticks with TH as he'll only improve with game time, just needs to add core strength and he'll be right up there in a season or two.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 14 Jul 2014, 5:56 pm

Wilson is still very young and raw.

I hope he sticks with TH as he'll only improve with game time, just needs to add core strength and he'll be right up there in a season or two.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:10 pm

I see the unoffy is saying a possible Second Row announcement this week? Driver may be on the money!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:31 pm

Eaton has signed for La Rochelle according to google, back in June??

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:33 pm

Well so the reports say yes...but we are definately in for a Second Row...so who the hell is it?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:38 pm

Donnolly, Bekker???

Either would be fantastic

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:39 pm

Do you think we need a second row Sgt...or is it no we dont but a player of their calibre would be taken happily anyway

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:47 pm

Maybe not GF but a top player in the pack can't be a bad thing. Somebody like Bekker would be amazing but I can't see it.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:52 pm

Yeah your right mate.

On the second row front im actually keen to see what Calum Green can give. Lots of Leeds fans are really dissapointed with his departure...hes your old fashioned hard man in the engine room...though at 6'4 isnt quite at the 6'7's that are about these days...though that might not matter at Prem level.

I think he could be a quality capture if he can really bring his game through with us.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 17 Jul 2014, 8:31 am

Kane Thompson, Chiefs lock/8.

http://www.espn.co.uk/super-rugby-2012/rugby/story/234075.html

Can't say I've seen much of him despite seeing Chiefs a few times this year. Extremely underwhelming.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next