The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How fake is Top Gear?

+21
profitius
seanmichaels
hampo17
Liam
ShahenshahG
SecretFly
Luckless Pedestrian
Fernando
Crimey
nadeem2099
The Fourth Lion
kingraf
RinoGattuso
Scottrf
XR
GSC
Rowley
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
Bull
incontinentia
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How fake is Top Gear? Empty How fake is Top Gear?

Post by incontinentia Thu 24 Apr 2014 - 13:55

Top Gear have admitted staging a traffic jam    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-17364742

I'm sure regular viewers of the show will know certain situations in the show are staged, but to what extent?

I would be surprised if 100% of the races weren't faked in some way. A veyron racing a plane 1000 miles and there only being a few minutes in the difference?? Gimme a break!!!

Clarkson breaking his target time round the Nurburgring by 1 second on his last go?? yeah right!!

there are many, many similar examples of this type of fakery being employed in order to up the entertainment value of the show.

Does this ruin the show for you in any way?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

How fake is Top Gear? Empty Re: How fake is Top Gear?

Post by Bull Thu 24 Apr 2014 - 13:59

No its a TV show enjoy it for what it is and that's entertainment! Smile

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Apr 2014 - 15:16

tbh is it even entertaining any more? Think Top Gear has been past it best for a few years now

Plus Richard Hammond and Jeremy Clarkson are hugely irritating

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Apr 2014 - 15:37

That news story is two years old - I have no idea why the BBC most popular page keeps regurgitating so much old news.

Anyway, of course it's rather fake. It's entertainment, predominantly, and, as the poster above says, past its best at that.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Apr 2014 - 18:39

Depends who you get it from I suppose. I don't touch the stuff myself but I know a fella who buys it by the kilo and he swears it's a pure as the driven snow.

Sorry, couldn't help myself  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 24 Apr 2014 - 23:37

Past its sell by date now, Clarkson is such a buffoon, Hammond is annoyingly not funny but I quite like James May
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 25 Apr 2014 - 9:00

Can you imagine how tedious the show would be if it was genuine. Does not bear thinking about.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 25 Apr 2014 - 9:13

Somewhere above wrestling and below Luis Suarez
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 25 Apr 2014 - 12:12

And here's me thinking 3 middle aged men actually did build that bridge in Burma!

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 25 Apr 2014 - 12:26

I can live with the staging which has always been obvious, but the jokes have been getting more and more unnatural and forced for years.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by RinoGattuso Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 10:16

How fake is everything else you watch?

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 3 May 2014 - 22:31

Because of the legendary Jeremy Clarkson suffering another bout of controversy at the hands of the eternally-offended-politically-correct-left-wingers, I wonder if Top Gear will be binned altogether?

The show must go on!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 4 May 2014 - 22:40

So you think it was OK for Clarkson to use the N word? I found it immensely satisfying to watch the smug pr/ck squirm as he delivered his grovelling apology.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 4 May 2014 - 23:43

He didn't say the N-word.

Some left-wing rag, which is not fit to see the light of day, brought up an unbroadcast segment from around two years ago and got some sound expert to conclude that it was "75% likely" that Clarkson used the N-word.

Nothing conclusive, and hardly grounds for...anything, in truth.

I did find it incredibly amusing that Harriet Harman, of all people, called for his sacking - slice of P.I.E., anyone? laughing

Anyway, I will always love Clarkson for the way he riles the poltically correct agenda - they will not cease until he is sacked from the BBC. Not that Jezza would care: he would get picked up by another broadcaster in a heartbeat.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 5 May 2014 - 3:26

He did say it, although he tried to obscure it, and admitted as much himself. That word has no place in civilised society and you shouldn't be excusing him.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 5 May 2014 - 9:53

He didn't say it. He mumbled the tune of the rhyme, and never actually said the word.

You might think he said it, but that's only because you, and everyone else seeing it, are actively listening out for the word thus rendering a greater chance that you think you heard it.

If you were told, for instance, that Clarkson used the word "digger" before you saw the clip, then there's a very probable chance that that would be the word you hear.

He never said it.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 5 May 2014 - 14:04

He said, and I quote:"Please be assured I did everything in my power to not use that word. And as I’m sitting here begging your forgiveness for the fact that obviously my efforts weren’t quite good enough."

That's a round-about admission that he used the word.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 5 May 2014 - 14:17

How do you do everything in your power not to use a racial slur? Were you possessed by demons who you simply couldnt hold off? Idiot
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 5 May 2014 - 14:33

incontinentia wrote:He said, and I quote:"Please be assured I did everything in my power to not use that word. And as I’m sitting here begging your forgiveness for the fact that obviously my efforts weren’t quite good enough."

That's a round-about admission that he used the word.

He said that in two takes he mumbled the offensive word, before saying "teacher" for the third take. He says that he never uses the "N word" and it is one that he loathes.

Not guilty, your honour.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sun 11 May 2014 - 12:36

Duty281 wrote:Because of the legendary Jeremy Clarkson suffering another bout of controversy at the hands of the eternally-offended-politically-correct-left-wingers, I wonder if Top Gear will be binned altogether?

The show must go on!

And it will go on all the time Clarkson and his cohorts can provoke plenty of "controversy" to maintain the profile of a show that has a format long past its sell-by date.  When the alleged incident took place, methinks Citizen Clarkson knew exactly what he was doing.

For many people, Top Gear is, by now, old hat and old tat.  It ceased to be amusing or entertaining long ago and is kept running by the BBC mostly because it  sells so well overseas.   It really is a very big foreign currency earner for the corporation, and you don't kill the goose that lays the golden egg, now do you..?

Older viewers may remember the days when the programme was presented by the likes of Angela Rippon and, subsequently, by Tiff Needell.  Back then it was a genuine weekly motoring magazine for grown ups that informed as well as entertained.  Jeremy Clarkson came in as a junior reporter and wormed his way up the greasy pole until he took over.  That was when the rot set in and the FHM ogling Jack-the-Lads culture took over.  Depending on your point of view, the rise and rise of Jeremy Clarkson was either an abject shame or the making of the show.  Take your pick.

I am sure Jeremy Clarkson will fight tooth and claw to keep it alive as long as possible.  He'd be daft not to.  It's money for old rope.  Jack the Lad will continue to suck it up and revel in every stage-managed controversy because it gives him something to snigger vapidly at with his mates over pints of wife beater.  

Even if it does continue to regurgitate the same old gags over and over, Top Gear has plenty of miles left in it yet.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 11 May 2014 - 14:24

Yes because I'm a real "Jack-the-lad' character, aren't I?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sun 11 May 2014 - 17:53

Duty281 wrote:Yes because I'm a real "Jack-the-lad' character, aren't I?

I don't know. Are you?

If the cap fits...........  Whistle 
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 11 May 2014 - 21:26

How would one define a Jack the lad character, purely out of interest?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sun 11 May 2014 - 22:23

Duty281 wrote:How would one define a Jack the lad character, purely out of interest?

Well, that epithet has a very flexible definition. It can mean many things to many people.

One can take one's pick.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 11 May 2014 - 23:22

I was called a "real Jack the Lad" by my PT teacher (rather Strange man from Isle of Man) once... Never bothered to research it (probably will now) but the tone of his voice suggests it isn't a colloquial term for Prince Charming, or Adonis
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 5 Oct 2014 - 17:09

After the latest, ah, incident, I would just like to say that there are no words strong enough to emphasise my complete love for Jeremy Clarkson.

What a fellow.

On a more serious note, I am glad that no one was seriously harmed.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 9:07

Can't believe the BBC expect us to swallow their excuse that the number plates weren't chosen on purpose. Top Gear has a history of driving through places with provocative slogans on their cars.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 9:09

The truly remarkable thing with Top Gear and their “controversies” is Clarkson’s ongoing ability to convince the eternally gullible that he is some sort of great anti establishment figure. This is a bloke that lives in the Cotswolds with David Cameron and Rebekah Brooks and who attends Christmas parties with them. He works almost exclusively with the BBC and writes a weekly column in a Murdoch paper. Anti establishment, he is hardly Che Guevara. Am sure, however this latest controversy will garner his show some column inches Top Gear’s increasingly hackneyed and shark jumping output cannot manage on its merits so from his perspective it is mission accomplished.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sun 26 Oct 2014 - 20:09

Duty281 wrote:Because of the legendary Jeremy Clarkson suffering another bout of controversy at the hands of the eternally-offended-politically-correct-left-wingers, I wonder if Top Gear will be binned altogether?

We can but hope.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 8:28

Bye-bye Germy! Have a nice retirement! laughing Laugh
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 11:00

It had to happen sooner or later. And all over not allowed to have some hot dinner Laugh
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 11:49

incontinentia wrote:Bye-bye Germy! Have a nice retirement! laughing Laugh

The only one laughing is Jeremy Clarkson, he owns the Top Gear company & will go to another platform. Meanwhile, BBC are going to lose about £60m from the show. What would people rather watch on Sunday night, Top Gear or repeats of the Red Arrows? The answer is about a four million reduction in the viewing figures.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 12:02

Clarkson sold his stake a couple of years ago.

They'll no doubt try to keep it going, but I imagine it'll be off airs soon after. They've lost a real cash cow, it's not good for the BBC or the viewers because a lot of the money made from Top Gear will have been put into other less profitable, but more interesting, programming.

Last edited by Crimey on Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 12:04; edited 1 time in total

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 12:04

LiamB wrote:
incontinentia wrote:Bye-bye Germy! Have a nice retirement! laughing Laugh

The only one laughing is Jeremy Clarkson, he owns the Top Gear company & will go to another platform. Meanwhile, BBC are going to lose about £60m from the show. What would people rather watch on Sunday night, Top Gear or repeats of the Red Arrows? The answer is about a four million reduction in the viewing figures.
He sold his stake to the BBC.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 12:10

Crimey wrote:Clarkson sold his stake a couple of years ago.

They'll no doubt try to keep it going, but I imagine it'll be off airs soon after. They've lost a real cash cow, it's not good for the BBC or the viewers because a lot of the money made from Top Gear will have been put into other less profitable, but more interesting, programming.

They cancelled Atlantis, which I quite enjoyed. It was interesting but alas not profitable.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 13:56

If Clarkson and his fluffers want to indulge in circle jerk then the best thing they could do would be to gather at Clarkson's house and do it in private and record it. Clarkson could then set up a website and if people want to watch this silly c*nt and his silly c*nt mates talking sh!t whilst failing to look hard/edgy/cool/relevant then they can pay £5 for the privilege. I'd rather sit through repeats of Keeping up Appearances and Allo Allo that listen to these windbags tw*tting on about a car's ability to "rip the knickers off a filly at 200yards" (what kind of f*cking endorsement is that anyway?)

Stinking rich middle class c*nt trying to convince everyone he's hard done by. Makes me sick to the f*cking stomach and justice would only be served if Clarkson was run over and killed by the finest sports car know to man that was being driven by the producer he punched whilst he was being fellated by Clarkson's wife.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 15:13

Don't worry Dave in about 6 months him/Hamster & May will be on ITV/Sky1 usual some under car show name Laugh  Probably earning more then he does now after a bidding war just look at Jonathan Ross. 

They've got rid of one of their biggest stars you just have to look at the viewing figures to see it's not a smart move. The show makes them 50m a year regularly.

Plus the cost it's going to lose for whoever compared him to "Jimmy Saville" is about to get sued majorally id expect.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 15:18

To add insult to injury, one of Clarkson's potential replacements is Lord c*nt of all annoying c*nts, Chris Evans.

Still, he's perfect, the guy's career is basically him heading shows that he'd love to have been called "LOOK AT ME, JUST LOOK AT ME..NOT ANYWHERE ELSE, JUST MEEEEEEEE!

he wasn't compared to Saville just the amount of carte blanche influence/freedom he'd been allowed to enjoy. If he sues and wins it will completely vindicate my and my belief that he's naught but a self serving c*nt who should have been put out to pasture as soon as he set foot in the BBC building lest he infect us with his "wit, wisdom and erudition".....and spawning that poisonous little **** Hammond.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 15:23

If it makes you feel better Dave TSMR had Chris Evans on the radio today and he said he was not doing it. No odds to me I don't watch the show and seriously doubt a new host will change that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 15:24

Their going to need to replace everyone not just Clarkson, I highly doubt May & Hammond will stick around without him.

He'll go make more money off another channel i suspect ITV as their used to controversial people.

You can do what you like to but to compare him in any way like Saville was wrong & offensive to people that suffered at the hands of him.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 15:27

Rowley wrote:If it makes you feel better Dave TSMR had Chris Evans on the radio today and he said he was not doing it. No odds to me I don't watch the show and seriously doubt a new host will change that.
To be honest it doesn't as someone in the office seems to think we all need to listen to Radio 2 every day and the odious little f*ck is on there too. Probably a good thing as he'll end up talking about all the cars he got w*nked off in by Billie Piper

Am also currently being aurally assaulted by the jebend that is Jonathan Ross who is standing in for Steve Wright who also needs a kicking.

If any political party states that their manifesto consists of banning radio 2, they have my vote.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 15:32

[quote="Fernando"]Their going to need to replace everyone not just Clarkson, I highly doubt May & Hammond will stick around without him.

He'll go make more money off another channel i suspect ITV as their used to controversial people.

You can do what you like to but to compare him in any way like Saville was wrong & offensive to people that suffered at the hands of him.[/quote]
Clarkson is just the last in a long line of people who think that because they're fortunate enough to get paid a sh!t load of money by the BBC for doing something that someone less obnoxious could do better and in a more informative/less self serving manner they're basically untouchable.

Time to get of the dead wood (Forsythe, you can f*ck off as well, pal) but for the sake of all that his holy, stop replacing them with the Winkleman's and Daly's of this world.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 16:29

DAVE667 wrote:If Clarkson and his fluffers want to indulge in circle jerk then the best thing they could do would be to gather at Clarkson's house and do it in private and record it. Clarkson could then set up a website and if people want to watch this silly c*nt and his silly c*nt mates talking sh!t whilst failing to look hard/edgy/cool/relevant then they can pay £5 for the privilege. I'd rather sit through repeats of Keeping up Appearances and Allo Allo that listen to these windbags tw*tting on about a car's ability to "rip the knickers off a filly at 200yards" (what kind of f*cking endorsement is that anyway?)

Stinking rich middle class c*nt trying to convince everyone he's hard done by. Makes me sick to the f*cking stomach and justice would only be served if Clarkson was run over and killed by the finest sports car know to man that was being driven by the producer he punched whilst he was being fellated by Clarkson's wife.

Well said.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 19:36

I simply can't and never could even understand the cult of three grey men (Hammond alone having a touch - a touch - of colour and genuine life) cruising round the world, talking blandly about cars in monotone voices - with - the usual - spaces - between - words - as trademark - Delivery.

The humour was grey (of the variety that Terry Wogan used when talking to his slacks and blazer bowling friends on Radio -  "Steady!!!")  The stunts were ............................

No, I can't go on.  I do realise it was a remarkably popular show but the 'dry' 'humour' cult element......... I just - never - got.  But I guess that's the definition of Cult.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 19:47

Always enjoyed it myself, just switch your brain off for an hour and get to see interesting places/people/challenges with mildly (mostly) to very (rarely) funny jokes. That said, if you hit someone at work you get the sack. Fair enough by the BBC. Always found it a bit weird people saying he's a bit too much for the PC BBC, any other job and he'd have been sacked a long time ago.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 20:26

Loved clarkson the presenter and top gear, but he's got no excuses. Any other line of work and you've have the same outcome, and rightly so. He's an idiot as a person unfortunately. Think he needs to stop feeling sorry for himself and realise it is him who has brought to an end one of the best programmes of the last decade (imo) and also ruined it for his two co-presenters and best mates.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 20:44

He's hardly ruined it for them, all three will now likely get a big pay day with ITV, Sky or Channel 4.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 20:52

Maybe the three of them plotted an exit strategy from their contracts over those late night drinks because already they were tempted by juicy offers?

'How will I get out of my contract?'

'Just go back to the hotel Jeremy and be yourself.'

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 21:09

It seemed likely that Clarkson, and by association, the others were going to leave at the end of their current contracts anyway.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 25 Mar 2015 - 21:30

Yup their contracts run out end of march, so presumably they'd have left the BBC anyway.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next