The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grainy issue

+3
SmithersJones
kwinigolfer
lorus59
7 posters

Go down

Grainy issue Empty Grainy issue

Post by lorus59 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:07 pm

I live and therefore play my golf in Thailand where the grain on the greens is a major factor when putting. Before I moved here I played my golf on parkland courses in Ireland. I cannot recall grain on the greens entering my mind back then. So, I wonder is grain an issue on any courses in the British Isles, be they parkland or links courses?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Grainy issue Empty Re: Grainy issue

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:46 pm

lorus,
What grass is most commonly used on your greens?

The two most common basic grasses here are Bermuda (very grainy) and Bent (hardly any grain at all).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 3:24 pm

I really was looking to know what grasses are used in the UK and Ireland and if they are grainy. Also if there is a difference between parkland and links greens.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 30 Apr 2014, 3:55 pm

I think I'm right in saying that grain is to do with the way the grass bends to get more sunlight. Ergo, there's no grain in UK grasses as there's bugger all sunlight to get.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:14 pm

I am pretty sure that its all down to the grass and what we get in the uk is not the grainy variety. I think Rye is a big part but I know its a mix.

I played in Portugal last year and it was the first time I'd played on grainy greens. I only found out afterwards that they were which explained why some putts seemed to go up the slope. Would love to have another go now I know but find putting hard enough without having to read the grass too!

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 01 May 2014, 8:54 am

Grain on the green is caused mainly by the grass growing in the direction of the sun - phototropism I think it's called. It's also caused by water draining across the green where the drainage isn't particularly good.

It does happen in the UK, but not to a large extent. Days when you might see it are in June or July only, perhaps after overnight rain disappears and you get a hot and sunny day. By late afternoon, the greens can look shiny - especially if you are looking towards the sun - you are looking with the grain. If you walk round and look from the opposite direction, the green can look much darker and green, rather than shiny and silver - that's into the grain. Down grain putts are a bit faster than putts into the grain. You'll notice it most in the late afternoon or evening - the ball turns more towards the setting sun.

I think it's Bermuda grass that is most susceptible to grain, and it's not used to any large extent here because it doesn't grow particularly well in the UK. Here we use bent grass much more, or bluegrass as it's sometimes called - or Poa Pratensis if you are a pedant. It's slower growing, hardier and doesn't turn towards the sun to the same extent (as SmithersJones eloquently explained above).

Also closer mowing, verticutting and draining and hollow coring also have reduced graininess in the last 20 years.

I think South Africa is the place to go to see grain on the greens - plenty of young pros have gone down there thinking they'll burn it up, and end up burned up.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 01 May 2014, 8:47 pm

George, excellent explanation. Thank you. Wondered why I hadn't noticed it playing in UK but golf commentators go on abut it. Cheers.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 01 May 2014, 9:05 pm

Cheers george. You seem to know a lot about grass. Which is better to smoke?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Fri 02 May 2014, 9:13 am

Pedro - no idea - sorry. There are quite a few on here better qualified to tell you that than me!

I'm reasonably good at advising people on beer though!  Ale  

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down