The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ring Magazine

+7
TRUSSMAN66
kingraf
Scottrf
Strongback
88Chris05
Hammersmith harrier
catchweight
11 posters

Go down

Ring Magazine  Empty Ring Magazine

Post by catchweight Tue 06 May 2014, 9:06 pm

For some on here, this is go to guide for various rankings, spankings and all of that other pound for pound makey uppy stuff. Without one proper champion in each diviion the Ring decided to hand out there own (more belts!). I read there they have decided to make Mayweather their one true welterweight champion, ironically after his worst performance in years. Although, they did score the fight 118-110 to Mayweather, so maybe they saw a masterclass. Pacquiao for instance is coming off a better win over Bradley. Which the Ring scored a draw. See the pattern? Anyone else smell BS? Is Richard Schaefer writing this stuff himself?

Also they have "the Eliminator" himself, Kell Brook ranked as the 5th best welterweight after beating.....strikes me as a pile o' p1ss.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Ring Magazine  Empty Re: Ring Magazine

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 06 May 2014, 9:07 pm

Mayweather has been the ring magazine Welterweight champion for some time now.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 06 May 2014, 9:16 pm

When it comes to scoring and ratings, Ring Magazine can be taken with a pinch of salt. Remember who owns it now, after all. Bias towards Golden Boy fighters, or fighters associated with them, is rife and it's hard to take them seriously as a publication right now.

In fairness, they award their belts to whoever is the 'man who beat the man' in each weight class, or if there's no lineage they go with the man who has beaten the most notables in the division. I guess in that sense their intentions were good - but they're not a sanctioning body, so for most people the addition of another title belt just complicates things even further.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 06 May 2014, 9:19 pm

In fairness to the ring magazine they only have one GBP fighter in the p4p top ten and that's Alvarez while there are four TR fighters included.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 06 May 2014, 9:22 pm

Considering Alverez is Oscar's protege I full understand why he needs to be in the Top 10.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 06 May 2014, 9:28 pm

Always preferred Boxing Monthly anyway.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 06 May 2014, 9:29 pm

Rig magazine is a little dopey sometimes. At the end of the day, boxing is a spectator sport, in the truest sense, and I do sometimes think we take "expert" opinion at face value, unnecessarily, We all have different views on what's aesthetically pleasing, and ergo, we all look for differing things when scoring a fight. Quite possible to honestly score the fight 118-110, if you think Floyd dipping and dodging, whole mustering no offense (But looking oh so stylish at offering nothing) is more impressive than Maidana constantly walking down, while throwing the ugliest overhand right in history.

In any case Ring magazine has a history of being, Otherwise inclined. Schmeling-Louis 2 was the 1930's Fight of the decade, all 160 seconds of it.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 May 2014, 9:31 pm

I had Leonard beating Hagler by three rounds.................Scoring is in the eye of the beholder...

No doubt the OP with all the Mayweather abuse he writes on a daily basis had it 120-108 to Maidana..

Maybe the fact Manny was face down against JMM two fights ago might have something to do with it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 06 May 2014, 9:32 pm

It was the fight of the decade Raf, there are certain fights that transcend the actual action that occurred, the historical importance of that fight is what makes it the fight of the 1930's.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 06 May 2014, 9:38 pm

I get why it was given the award - they weren't boxing reasons, hence Ring being otherwise inclined.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 May 2014, 9:47 pm

Ring magazine was always crap............KO magazine and World Boxing were the great magazines......

Head to head, The predictor, Ryan confidential, The KO interview, The Ko pinup, Who's hot and who's not.......... and brilliant reviews...

Great days when I used to rush out to the shops at the back end of every month..

Makes me feel all nostalgic.......

Had most of my issues until the red menace chucked them out "accidentally".. Sad Sad Ring Magazine  3559488474 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 06 May 2014, 9:48 pm

Ring - plainly - isn't what it was. Their championship policy no longer functions as originally intended.

The best set of rankings belongs to the TBRB.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 06 May 2014, 9:49 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I had Leonard beating Hagler by three rounds.................Scoring is in the eye of the beholder...

No doubt the OP with all the Mayweather abuse he writes on a daily basis had it 120-108 to Maidana..

Maybe the fact Manny was face down against JMM two fights ago might have something to do with it..

I gave it to Maidana 120-104. Two 10-8 rounds for Maidana, a point off Mayweather for spoiling and a point off for a sh1tty ring entrance.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 May 2014, 9:50 pm

catchweight wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I had Leonard beating Hagler by three rounds.................Scoring is in the eye of the beholder...

I gave it to Maidana 120-104. Two 10-8 rounds for Maidana, a point off Mayweather for spoiling and a point off for a sh1tty ring entrance.

Like I said scoring is in the eye of the beholder !!  Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 06 May 2014, 9:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Ring magazine was always crap............KO magazine and World Boxing were the great magazines......

Head to head, The predictor, Ryan confidential, The KO interview, The Ko pinup, Who's hot and who's not.......... and brilliant reviews...

Great days when I used to rush out to the shops at the back end of every month..

Had most of my issues until the red menace chucked them out "accidentally".. Sad Sad Ring Magazine  3559488474 

I remember it too. There was no boxrec back then to set you straight and make an expert out of you. You had to watch fights and read boxing articles.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 06 May 2014, 9:53 pm

To be honest, until CS suggested Chris Jon (and promptly stopped talking about it after Vityeka kicked his backside), I'd rate our monthly/bi-monthly rankings weren't too bad.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 May 2014, 9:54 pm

catchweight wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Ring magazine was always crap............KO magazine and World Boxing were the great magazines......

I remember it too. There was no boxrec back then to set you straight and make an expert out of you. You had to watch fights and read boxing articles.

Didn't take itself as seriously as Ring........Greatly missed.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Tue 06 May 2014, 9:57 pm

Red Menace - a term started during the Cold War era to describe the Soviet Union or an "international communist conspiracy"

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Tue 06 May 2014, 10:02 pm

I used to get Ring Magazine every month but being in New Zealand it took such a long time to get there that I'd forgotten about the fight before I got to read the report. I've still got a pile of them from the seventies and eighties including the issue before the Rumble in the Jungle,Ken Norton was the only "expert" to pick Ali to win.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 May 2014, 10:08 pm

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:

Red Menace - a term started during the Cold War era to describe the Soviet Union or an "international communist conspiracy"

Naughty people like Joseph McCarthy and Richard Nixon used the term to gain advancement and to ruin good careers in some cases resulting in imprisonment to certain unlucky people back in the day !!.....Luckily some senator (unluckily in his case) topped himself and public sympathy turned...and the senate voted to censure Mccarthy.......Not before time..

Nixon though jumped off the bandwagon at an opportune moment and the rest is history..............

Sam Wanamaker and Ed G Robinson were two great actors who got blackballed during the witch hunt.....Dark times.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 06 May 2014, 10:08 pm

catchweight wrote:I remember it too. There was no boxrec back then to set you straight and make an expert out of you. You had to watch fights and read boxing articles.
There was the Ring Record Book but, alas, nothing that could make an expert out of you.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 06 May 2014, 10:17 pm

Scottrf wrote:
catchweight wrote:I remember it too. There was no boxrec back then to set you straight and make an expert out of you. You had to watch fights and read boxing articles.
There was the Ring Record Book but, alas, nothing that could make an expert out of you.

Well I have TRUSSMAN here giving out free lessons every day. Its like having boxrec crossed with Bob Mee. Enough to make an expert of anyone. You should read his Times they are a Changing article.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 May 2014, 10:18 pm

It's nice to be appreciated.... thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 06 May 2014, 10:20 pm

If you want to know about Duran being rolled like a drunk, there's no greater expert.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 May 2014, 10:23 pm

Scottrf wrote:If you want to know about Duran being rolled like a drunk, there's no greater expert.

Wink 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 06 May 2014, 10:23 pm

Im still on the chapter where Joe Louis fights fistic turds. Volume III.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 06 May 2014, 10:24 pm

To be fair, that's one of his more accurate chapters.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 May 2014, 10:25 pm

catchweight wrote:Im still on the chapter where Joe Louis fights fistic turds. Volume III.

I'm especially proud of the Twain-esque... Paychek and Galento passage...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 06 May 2014, 10:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
catchweight wrote:Im still on the chapter where Joe Louis fights fistic turds. Volume III.

I'm especially proud of the Twain-esque... Paychek and Galento  passage...

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Mark Twain

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 07 May 2014, 11:04 am

Head to head, The predictor, Ryan confidential, The KO interview,The Ko pinup, Who's hot and who's not.......... and brilliant reviews...

Had most of my tissues until the red menace chucked them out "accidentally".. Sad Sad Ring Magazine  3559488474 

You're such an old queen trussy. Getting your kicks from oiled semi naked men, while the rest of us had our piles of razzle under the bed

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 07 May 2014, 11:07 am

I bet none of the other kids received a Don Curry centre spread the month he made Pin-up Of The Month....

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 07 May 2014, 11:15 am

milkyboy wrote:

Head to head, The predictor, Ryan confidential, The KO interview,The Ko pinup, Who's hot and who's not.......... and brilliant reviews...

Had most of my tissues until the red menace chucked them out "accidentally".. Sad Sad Ring Magazine  3559488474 

You're such an old queen trussy. Getting your kicks from oiled semi naked men, while the rest of us had our piles of razzle under the bed

It's the only pleasure I get these days....I watch the full monty ten times a night as well..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down