The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher

+12
incontinentia
super_realist
I'm never wrong
gaelgowfer
Shotrock
GPB
lorus59
pedro
beninho
Davie
Sand
kwinigolfer
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 May 2014, 2:51 am

1).Another good tournament from Paul Casey at the Byron Nelson.
And, after a Round 2 back nine of 27, it could have been so much better.
Paul has "Past Champion" status on the PGA Tour and that only gets him in to about half of the tournaments at most.
Like Robert Karlsson at the end of last year, Casey's finding out the hard way how crucial it is to play well when diminished "status" actually offers the chance to play.
How has it come to pass that Casey, for all his years of success on both the European and PGA Tours, has to struggle like this?

2).He enjoyed a fabulous Amateur record, both Collegiately at Arizona State where his achievements rivalled or bettered those of T.Woods, and in Britain where he won the English Amateur two years running, and all his four Walker Cup matches in 1999.
Seven events in to his European Tour career he visited the winners enclosure, ironically at Gleneagles. By 2004 he was in Bernhard Langer's winning Ryder Cup Team, he won the 2006 European Tour Order of Merit and the sky was the limit. He flirted with Special Temporary Membership of the PGA Tour, but didn't secure a full card until 2009. The BMW PGA title rocketed him to #3 in the owgr, and 2010 saw him in the final group at St.Andrews with King Louis.

3).Meanwhile, compadres like Donald, Poulter and Rose had been registering "Official" prize money for years. Despite making over $6M just in 2009 & 2010, injuries, turf toe, an accident on the ski slopes, divorce and gawd-knows-what-else cooled his jets. He tried to play through injury and, as even the Undercover Pro will tell us, that's a no-no. Health will get worse, form will get worser and the PGA Tour "playing privilege" system is unforgiving.

4).Winnings of less than $600K in 2011 was not enough to retain his card and he skipped Q-School. 2012 saw just $60K in his US bank and opportunities dried up in 2013. Thank goodness for his Irish Open win which gave his owgr status some buoyancy. Now he's apparently fit and has squeezed in to 8 tournaments in 2013/2014 with five Top 20 finishes, good enough for 121st in the crucially important FedEx Points race.
But: With the season 2/3 over, he can only expect to tee it up about four or five more times. Unless he scores a win!

5).The good news is that he squeaked in to this week's "Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial" and his two trips there so far have been profitable: 5th in 2009 and 13th in 2010. 4th place this week would see him very close to earning his 2014/2015 card, a podium would wrap it up.

6).Let's not speculate any more, but Casey's experience is not dissimilar to that of other "International" PGA Tour players; woebetide anyone who loses form as he tries to play through injury or wastes PGA Tour opportunities by chasing appearance money around the World. Cabrera and Yang lose their exemption this year unless they buck up their ideas, Harrington will have to use a one-time "earnings" exemption, and Oosthuizen will lose his card after next season, all if they fail to reach the Top 125.
Web.com Finals for the lot of you, or revert, as Casey has done, to Past Champions status and not know, from one week to the next, where or whether you'll be playing.
(Karlsson lost Memphis play-offs two years running and is in an even worse pickle. US career hanging by a thread.)
All top, top players.

7).We said Brendon Todd would win soon on Tour, just didn't expect it in Dallas. An extraordinary short game display earned him the win, from Mike Weir who, out of the blue, turned in to the Mike Weir of old. Several parallels between Weirsy's experience and that of Casey, of course.

8).Colonial is Ben Hogan's shrine in Fort Worth. It's a real horses-for-courses track, Furyk might not win it but he loves the place, Zach Johnson, Tim Clark (if only he'd show some form), Toms etc. Brian Davis was desperately unlucky not to win a few years ago and Kuchar and Spieth are back for more.
Adam Scott was a late sign-up and goes for the Texas Grand Slam having already won at Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.
Most of the Europeans are at Wentworth, but one interesting invitation went to 2012 Challenge Tour winner Julien Brun who left France for University in Fort Worth. And wouldn't you think Colonial will suit Russell Knox?
Perhaps a shilling each way on Casey & Knox?

9).We'll keep on saying it: Tom Watson must be getting anxious about some of his Ryder Cup horses. Who knows about Woods or Phil, or Stricker for that matter?
Snedeker and Bradley continue to struggle; maybe Dufner and Mahan will finally find their form this week?
Early season hotshots English and Reed don't have a Top Ten between them, and have missed more cuts than they've made since Reed's Top Five at Doral.

10).Any European Senior worth any salt at all will be playing the Senior PGA in Michigan, where Roger Chapman broke through two years ago. Stephen Ames makes his Champions Tour debut, following Andrade, Durant, Jimenez and Maggert among others. Lee Janzen, Verplank and Kevin Sutherland will soon follow.
Anyway, another week, another "Major" for the Seniors. I thought these four-round tournaments might favour Montgomerie, but he faded/tired last week and must be wondering whether he'll ever win over here.
One tip: Do some sit-ups.
Another tip: Ask Kenny Perry. He's won the last three Senior Majors.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Sand Wed 21 May 2014, 9:09 am

I would have thought Casey would have played at Wentworth since he was a past champion but I suppose since he doesn't have a card on PGA tour he has to make the most of his starts. Its certainly went pretty bad for Casey with his poor run of form in recent years and divorce but believe he is engaged to Pollyanna Woodward so its not all been bad Smile 

Sand

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Davie Wed 21 May 2014, 9:19 am

I think I read somewhere on twitter that the reason Casey isn't there is that he's delayed in USA trying to sort out green card issues

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 21 May 2014, 9:54 am

A friend went to a coaching clinic with Casey once, he mentioned that he said, that he used to love golf, but it just became a job after a while. I am sure a fair few have felt similar, but this may have had an impact on his slump.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 21 May 2014, 10:40 am

Davie wrote:I think I read somewhere on twitter that the reason Casey isn't there is that he's delayed in USA trying to sort out green card issues
Paul, don't bother!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 May 2014, 10:52 am

Casey's visa?
I know he had problems with his Green Card prior to New Orleans - he was originally in the field for Sweden next week . . . . . . . looks like he's withdrawn from that.
If he's confined to the USA, perhaps he'll have to miss Hoylake?

I saw that he was engaged to Pollyanna someone. Who's she?
Still, engagements don't mean much. Do they Rory?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 21 May 2014, 11:02 am

I mean, don't bother getting your green card sorted out. It's not like playing in the US has been the best career move. Come back to Europe and play.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Wed 21 May 2014, 11:38 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Casey's visa?
I know he had problems with his Green Card prior to New Orleans - he was originally in the field for Sweden next week . . . . . . . looks like he's withdrawn from that.
If he's confined to the USA, perhaps he'll have to miss Hoylake?

I saw that he was engaged to Pollyanna someone. Who's she?
Still, engagements don't mean much. Do they Rory?

Google her, I wouldn't have thought you will be disappointed. She is a presenter in the UK.
True about engagements sometimes not meaning much. Not that interested to be honest but isn't that twice he's called it off with Wozza?

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 May 2014, 12:21 pm

Ah, yes; can certainly see the attraction(s).

I always want Casey to do well, so much talent, but feel that he's made professional mis-steps along the way that have hurt his career. But a top result this week would be a giant step towards helping him move forward.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 21 May 2014, 12:24 pm

"Paul and Pollyanna". That's your next docu soap right there. (at least from the title)

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 May 2014, 1:30 pm

It's going to be a warm (85F - 90F) week in Fort Worth, dry, mostly sunny and not too windy. Ideal for low scoring you'd think.

Europeans hoping to heat things up even more include, as stated, Brun, Casey, Davis and Knox, plus Freddie Jac, Laird, Lingmerth and Pettersson.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 21 May 2014, 2:01 pm

Are the top players on the PGA tour qualified to play at Wentworth or is only for European tour members?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 May 2014, 2:11 pm

lorus,
Based upon the European Tour's "entry list' for Wentworth, Category 0a is for:
"Players ranked within the top 50 in the OWGR as of 14th April."

Presumably that has no strings attached.

Category 6 is "Tournament Invitations" and can't see any strings there either.

Too bad that no non-members make the trip; presumably no appearance fees offered.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 21 May 2014, 2:37 pm

Whats the weather forecast for Wentworth? Walton Heath on Monday?

Anyone see the Tee times for US Open sectional at Walton Heath? I checked the EuroT website is running the sectional and the Walton Heath website. No word on players or tee-times as of yesterday.

Not sure why any highly ranked American would go over to England to play for less money at a higher tax rate.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 May 2014, 4:23 pm

It looks like a lovely stretch of London weather is coming to an end just in time for play tomorrow.
60's and damp thru Saturday, 70's and pleasant on Sunday, showers on Monday, is the way it looks from here. Let's hope that changes.

Would have thought comparable money, an international experience and increased worldwide exposure would be sufficient attractions but clearly not.

On a positive note about an American golfer who recognized that there's life outside a gated community and a closed mind, I see that Notah Begay will return to work next week following his April heart attack. Hope there's a defibrillator at the ready. Good health to him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 21 May 2014, 4:25 pm

So it's all about the money. I thought there was some tradition left in the game. Have Tiger and Phil ever played or likely to ever play in it? If not, can it really be considered to be a blue riband event if top players won't play in it?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 May 2014, 4:31 pm

Be fair lorus, top players WILL play in it, just not the handful of Americans who are still top players.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 21 May 2014, 4:31 pm

I happy that Notah has recovered and is able to go back to work.

But I think he is one of the worst announcers ever. Not only is he subservient to Woods and an apologist for Woods, he has a terrible monotone and frequently gets the call wrong. The stereotypical "mouth-breather".

"Drive is down the right side, and going further right....as the ball ends up in the left rough."

It was nice to have Jerry Foltz instead of Notah at the Players Championship a couple weeks ago.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 21 May 2014, 4:31 pm

Nice write up Kwin.

Only about the money? Indeed. Ever the capitalist, I would suggest that's why they call it "Professional" golf. Chasing that little white ball for a living is not easy, so getting "easier" money is perfectly logical -- and, I would add a "positive" way to make a living.

Rory taking the ring back???

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Wed 21 May 2014, 4:36 pm

Shotrock wrote:Nice write up Kwin.

Rory taking the ring back???

Only if she gets to shove it where the sun don't shine! Shocked 

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 May 2014, 4:40 pm

GPB,
I don't much care for Notah as an announcer but he seems to be a good guy.

Would much prefer Matt Gogel gets a full-time Network gig - seemingly not beholden to anyone and of a generation that is still playing.
Not a big fan of Jerry Foltz, and he's knocking on too, like Byrum and Parkin.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 21 May 2014, 4:45 pm

I guess then Rose, Stenson and McIlroy are selling themselves short and not being a true professional playing at Wentworth and the Americans will play in the Ryder Cup without pay. They will desert their capitalist ideals.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 21 May 2014, 4:51 pm

Guess away ... But if you're betting they won't play, I'll take some of that action!

Surely you understand endorsements? Doncha think the Ryder Cup has done wonders for Monty and now IJP's pockets?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Wed 21 May 2014, 5:01 pm

GPB wrote:Whats the weather forecast for Wentworth?  Walton Heath on Monday?

Anyone see the Tee times for US Open sectional at Walton Heath?  I checked the EuroT website is running the sectional and the Walton Heath website.  No word on players or tee-times as of yesterday.

Perhaps it hasn't been made yet.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 21 May 2014, 5:15 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:

Anyone see the Tee times for US Open sectional at Walton Heath?  I checked the EuroT website is running the sectional and the Walton Heath website.  No word on players or tee-times as of yesterday.

The tee times may have not been made, the field is set.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 21 May 2014, 6:32 pm

Kwini: A few weeks ago your were making inquiries about David Lynn. There is a Blurb about him in Rotoworld. Looks like he was taking a break from the game to reset his head.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 21 May 2014, 6:33 pm

Kwini: A few weeks ago you were making inquiries about David Lynn.  There is a Blurb about him in Rotoworld.  Looks like he was taking a break from the game to reset his head.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 May 2014, 7:00 pm

I saw that, Thanks! Like the sabbatical he took last year!!
Apart from his wonderful win in Portugal, he hasn't exactly validated that head-clearing decision with stellar play. "Portugal" is his only Top-15 finish since his 2013 Summer Holiday!

Big surprise absentee to me this week is Richard Sterne - I know he's struggled with injuries but hadn't realised they were enough to keep him out for 3 months-and-counting.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 21 May 2014, 8:08 pm

GPB wrote:
gaelgowfer wrote:

The tee times may have not been made, the field is set.
I went to Walton Heath a few years ago. I couldn't find out who was playing until the last minute. If you are going (well worth it - £0) you can pick up tee times at the entrances. (Usually on a piece of A4 paper in a Tupperware box)

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 21 May 2014, 9:01 pm

McIlroy playing pro-am with Peter Schmeichel. Surely it won't be the only Dane he'll hear swearing these days.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 22 May 2014, 12:16 am

Aside from Ryder Cup week and (some of?) the Majors, I reckon this week is the best of the year for tournament golf.

Fab event at Wentworth, terrific event at Colonial, what's not to like?

Neither is as much about the money (or the "points") as it is about the courses and the heritage of each event. Unique in many ways.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 May 2014, 7:56 am

Kwini, used to be one of my TV "highlights" golf wise, always better than The Open, but unfortunately BBC only have two 1 hour highlights now.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 22 May 2014, 11:03 am

Say what you want about Americans and the daft names, I just noticed Seve Benson, born in Guildford. Nonesense.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 22 May 2014, 12:10 pm

Thomas (now, there's a good name) Bjorn setting Wentworth alight, Sergio struggling.
I love this tournament: Anyone going?

Meanwhile: They'll be on the move in Fort Worth within the hour, and a protypical North Texas early summer's day in prospect: Sunny, Temps close to 90F, breezy.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 22 May 2014, 12:47 pm

Thomas in with a 10-under 62. If that guy is in the mood he can beat any field.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 22 May 2014, 12:50 pm

Nice to see Shane Lowry up there too  kiss 
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 22 May 2014, 12:55 pm

Weather delay at Wentworth now .. I'm about 7 miles away and big thunder/lightning storm here right now

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 22 May 2014, 3:00 pm

thunder/lightning here too.

Anyone know why Sergio withdrew? Very unlike him.

Edit: Ah, Long-standing knee injury flared up during his round. Get well soon, Sergio . . . . . . .

What's wrong with Rickie Fowler?
They say he loses the chance to contend in tournaments because he always registers a big number or two - His second hole today was a Par-5 and he clocks up an EIGHT! Harrington-esque.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 22 May 2014, 3:37 pm

Scott off to a cruddy start at Colonial. His tenure at #1 might be as short as Tom Lehman's tenure 18 years ago.

I just posted some scenarios in the last OWGR thread.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 22 May 2014, 4:14 pm

More rubbish at Wentworth from Colsaerts.
Decent start for Stenson, firstninus horribilis from Scott.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 22 May 2014, 4:37 pm

How long can they play this evening before they run out of daylight in Surrey? Sunset is ~20:55, isn't there enough twilight to play for another 30 minutes or so?

Last tee time is 18:10 so that means the last group should get in at least 11 holes.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 22 May 2014, 4:51 pm

If the cloud cover clears they could possibly continue to 9:15-9:30 - but right now, just down the road it's still quite overcast. I'd think they'd be lucky to get beyond 9pm unless it clears

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 22 May 2014, 5:26 pm

Shane celebrating his lowry round with a nice dinner tonight.  Chef Scary to think of though. Shocked

pedro

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Case for Paul Casey: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Carlos Ortiz En Fuego

Post by GPB Thu 22 May 2014, 5:35 pm

Carlos Ortiz is gunning for his 3rd Web-com win of 2014 which gets him a battlefield promotion to the PGATour.

Late in his first round in Raleigh NC, he is -6 and leading.

I would not be surprised if he is on the Int'l Presidents Cup team 17 months from now.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 22 May 2014, 5:38 pm

Shane will probably start with some pies, follow that up with pies for his main course and enjoy pies for pudding.
Then have seconds and thirds of everything.

Helluva round though, whatever the cullinary incentive.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 22 May 2014, 6:20 pm

Didn't I see Gonzo in the field earlier this week?

I wonder why he is not playing.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 22 May 2014, 6:39 pm

mmmmm,
Gonzo hasn't got to grips with this two-Tour lark yet, has he?

Peter Uihlein also going thru a bad trot of form, and withdrew today. Wonder if he's carrying an injury? Whatever it is, he's on the Colsaerts / Hanson / Olesen / Matteo (what's HE playing at?) lift, plummeting downwards.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 22 May 2014, 6:53 pm

No-one going low this morning in Fort Worth, one of those days where it can truly be said you can't win it on Thursday, you can only lose it.
A mantra made for Rickie Fowler - two triples in his 80.

Chesson Hadley finger-snapping his way out of owgr Top 60, and no complaints about that.
"Dear god, You screwed up, whassup wi dat?"

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 22 May 2014, 8:23 pm

Mahan going crazy - nice to see, Hunner's been mia too long.

Scoring much better this afternoon - hope Casey gets the message.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 22 May 2014, 9:02 pm

Mahan seems to have a birdie chance on every hole... On fire.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next