The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India in England 2014, Tour Preview Thread

+5
Gerry SA
ShankyCricket
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
msp83
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

India in England 2014, Tour Preview Thread Empty India in England 2014, Tour Preview Thread

Post by msp83 Wed 28 May 2014, 8:41 pm

India's tour of England starts in July, and they are playing a 5 test series after more than a decade. The selectors have announced a large 18 member squad for the test series.
MS Dhoni (Captain WK), M Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Gautam Gambhir, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane, Rohit Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Ishwar Pandey, Ishant Sharma, Stuart Binny, Varun Aaron, Wriddhiman Saha (wk), Pankaj Singh
In: Gautam Gambhir, Stuart Binny, Varun Aaron, Pankaj Singh
Out: Zaheer Khan, Umesh Yadav, Ambati Rayudu.
Lets debate the possibilities, combinations and permutations.

Last edited by msp83 on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

msp83

Back to top Go down

India in England 2014, Tour Preview Thread Empty Re: India in England 2014, Tour Preview Thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 28 May 2014, 8:42 pm

No Zaheer???

Boooooooo!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

India in England 2014, Tour Preview Thread Empty Re: India in England 2014, Tour Preview Thread

Post by msp83 Wed 28 May 2014, 8:43 pm

I must say it is a disappointing squad. England might just have the opportunity to quickly forget the horrers of the winter.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 28 May 2014, 8:45 pm

No Zaheer, but that is understandable. Zaheer has been injured and has missed much of the IPL this season. India wouldn't forget the aftereffects of picking a not fully fit Zaheer last time round in England.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 28 May 2014, 8:47 pm

msp83 wrote:I must say it is a disappointing squad. England might just have the opportunity to quickly forget the horrers of the winter.
Have to say I'm quite confident we will get at least a drawn series, can't see your bowlers getting 20 wickets in a match tbh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 28 May 2014, 9:01 pm

While I would miss Zaheer, the selections/non-selections that are shocking are those of Stuart Binny and Umesh Yadav. Binny can't bat or bowl at a level of quality that is international. I just can't figure out why the selectors are preferring this mediocre 29 year old who is not good enough with either bat or ball. Young Rishi Dhawan, while not quite the finished product, has age and a better overall all-round record going for him, and Praveen Kumar, who has returned from a long injury layoff, has previous good record in England to be counted on. India do not have a lot of quality fast bowlers. With Zaheer unavailable injured, Umesh Yadav, despite his inconsistencies, is certainly good enough to be selected, particularly when considering Ishant Sharma has been allowed to get away with 50 tests of complete mediocrity.
Gambhir's return is debatable. I don't really like, he hasn't done anything to deserve a recall. KL Rahul or Jiwanjot Singh would have been a better pick. But Gauti's selection is somewhat understandable. Only skipper MS Dhoni and Ishant have previous test experience in England. Murali Vijay failed to convert his starts in South Africa, and failed to make a mark in the New Zealand series. Shikhar Dhawan struggled in South Africa before coming back in New Zealand. Dhawan is not really experienced at the highest level in test cricket, and Vijay too, despite being around for quite some time, isn't all that experienced. So the selectors may not have wanted to expose Rahul or Jiwanjot in such a difficult situation. As such, Gambhir was the next available choice, and at the time of the SA series, the captain did go on record, suggesting that Gambhir is our 3rd opener.
Perhaps there should have been a bit more cover in the batting department. Binny is no good as a batting replacement, and even Saha isn't much of a batsman as such. Gambhir himself is not in the best of shapes, so perhaps they should have thought of Rahul/Jiwanjot/Manish Pandey/Jadhav?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 28 May 2014, 9:05 pm

Olly wrote:
msp83 wrote:I must say it is a disappointing squad. England might just have the opportunity to quickly forget the horrers of the winter.
Have to say I'm quite confident we will get at least a drawn series, can't see your bowlers getting 20 wickets in a match tbh
I'll happily take a drawn series with this squad!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 29 May 2014, 10:50 am

Yeah, I think you need at least 1 top order batsman with experience of playing in England if not more. Tough conditions to adapt to initially, esp with Englands quicker bowlers.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 29 May 2014, 11:44 am

Not that Gauti is all that experienced or successful in England. He failed in the 2 tests he played there last time, and that's all the experience he has got in England as far as tests are concerned.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 07 Jun 2014, 3:28 am

Sorry, Gambhir's selection is unfathomable. I don't mind Binny that much purely cos he is surplus and won't play under any circumstances. Gambhir being the only reserve batter will surely get a game at some point in a 5 test series and thats a horrifying prospect.

As far as the "experience" nonsense is considered, Gambhir's experience in England is that of averaging 17 in 3 Tests, less than 35 in DIVISION TWO county cricket and of losing 4-0. And I haven't even mentioned his poor ODI record there yet. And he is in worse form now than ahead of any of his previous visits to the country. Clearly the "experience" we need, isn't it? picard

Its a disgraceful pick. Awful from selectors. Awful.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Jun 2014, 9:09 am

Shanky, I am not really hopeful of this Indian side being able to do much better than what the previous squad did back in 2011. Another overseas thumping is on the cards, even though England themselves are in bad shape. Could be a serious of mediocrity where the less mediocre side would come out better. If India are to be saved, its all down to Pujara, Kohli and Rahane. All the 3 of them have to be on the absolute top of their games for India to make a game out of this series. If the 3 of them can help put up a good score on the board, and if conditions are helpful, Bhuvneshwar and Shami can create some trouble for an inexperienced England batting lineup. So its basically down to 5 Indian players, plus some bonus help from Shikhar Dhawan, and if Murali Vijay can last an hour and half.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Jun 2014, 9:13 am

The lineup I would go in with for the first test.
Shikhar Dhawan
Murali Vijay
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli
Ajinkya Rahane
Rohit Sharma?
Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Ravindra Jadeja
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Mohammed Shami
Ishant Sharma?
I would have wanted someone else at 6, and I wouldn't want Ishant to ever play for India. I hope Ishwar Pandey gets a look in at some point for useless Ishant who unfortunately picked up some wickets in New Zealand and made himself undroppable for the next 5 years.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 07 Jun 2014, 11:27 am

I'd go with Ashwin at 6 in place of Rohit (Jadeja is the better bowler but his batting hasn't been up to scratch even for a number 8 in tests, let alone a number 6) and then 4 frontline quicks. 3 frontline quicks just isn't enough given the pitches England are expected to prepare. They looked tired in SA and NZ and those were just 2 test series. Going in to a 5 test series with only 3 seamers would be blasphemous. They'd be greatly overworked especially in the first innings.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 07 Jun 2014, 11:31 am

I'd love to see Saha in for Dhoni too, msp if I had my way. MSD is a joke of a test captain and batsman overseas. 3 fifties in his last 30 test innings but you hardly ever post anything against him.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 07 Jun 2014, 11:43 am

M Vijay
Shikhar Dhawan (I'd have had KL Rahul in for one of the openers)
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli
Ajinkya Rahane
R Ashwin (would've preferred Piyush Chawla)
MS Dhoni (ideally Saha but thats not gonna happen)
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Ishwar Pandey
Mohammad Shami
Varun Aaron/Pankaj Singh

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Jun 2014, 7:42 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:I'd love to see Saha in for Dhoni too, msp if I had my way. MSD is a joke of a test captain and batsman overseas. 3 fifties in his last 30 test innings but you hardly ever post anything against him.
Not sure Saha's batting will be any better than that of MSD. Dhoni is still the best available in my view, though he hasn't really delivered as a test batsman overseas in the last 3 years. He didn't have much of a foundation to work with in a number of those games due to a collective batting failure, but in the last couple of series in SA and NZ, Pujara, Kohli and Rahane did provide a few platforms, and MSD could deliver only ones even then. India certainly would need Dhoni to score more runs, and he should adopt a freeer approach to batting, look for every scoring opportunity, he's not going to score big defendingin those conditions.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Jun 2014, 7:50 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:M Vijay
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli
Ajinkya Rahane
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Ishwar Pandey
Mohammad Shami
Varun Aaron/Pankaj Singh
The Ashwin/Jadeja situation is an interesting one. Jadeja certainly is the better bowler according to the situation. But Ashwin by far, is the better bat. But I am not sure Ashwin can play as part of a 4 man attack, and actually your call of Ashwin at 6 in place of Sharma is not a bad one at all, though the team management will never go that way, he'll be the last to be dropped....... But now if Ashwin bats 6 and Dhoni 7, with not much of batting to come from the lower order, that might be adding more pressure on Pujara, Kohli and Rahane. And Dhoni always feels more comfortable with 7 batsmen in overseas conditions.
Perhaps the selectors could have been sensible and selected a viable all-rounder in young Rishi Dhawan than the joker they've picked.......
And oh yes, that reference to Piyush Chawla wasn't serious???????!!!. It just can't be, the man is an embarrassment with the ball even in domestic cricket!. He's a very capable slogger and a bit, but I'd rate Ashwin higher with the bat, and Ashwin is a serious option in spinning conditions unlike Chawla, when it comes to bowling.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Jun 2014, 7:53 pm

I do hope Pankaj Singh also gets a look in during the series, he has really earned his chance. He may or may not be successful, but he does deserve that opportunity without a doubt.
But I won't be surprised if he never gets to play a game while Ishant Sharma plays all 5 tests.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sun 08 Jun 2014, 3:11 am

Reference to Chawla was one of desperation really. He does have heaps of wickets in county cricket and I don't think the Poms fancy his googly. Still, desperation times. Ashwin doesn't inspire any confidence overseas and tbf neither does Jadeja unless its a dry wicket ala Durban. Hopefully, someone like Akshar Patel or Shreyas Gopal will come through the ranks sooner rather than later.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sun 08 Jun 2014, 3:18 am

msp83 wrote:
ShankyCricket wrote:M Vijay
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli
Ajinkya Rahane
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Ishwar Pandey
Mohammad Shami
Varun Aaron/Pankaj Singh
The Ashwin/Jadeja situation is an interesting one. Jadeja certainly is the better bowler according to the situation. But Ashwin by far, is the better bat. But I am not sure Ashwin can play as part of a 4 man attack, and actually your call of Ashwin at 6 in place of Sharma is not a bad one at all, though the team management will never go that way, he'll be the last to be dropped....... But now if Ashwin bats 6 and Dhoni 7, with not much of batting to come from the lower order, that might be adding more pressure on Pujara, Kohli and Rahane. And Dhoni always feels more comfortable with 7 batsmen in overseas conditions.
Perhaps the selectors could have been sensible and selected a viable all-rounder in young Rishi Dhawan than the joker they've picked.......
And oh yes, that reference to Piyush Chawla wasn't serious???????!!!. It just can't be, the man is an embarrassment with the ball even in domestic cricket!. He's a very capable slogger and a bit, but I'd rate Ashwin higher with the bat, and Ashwin is a serious option in spinning conditions unlike Chawla, when it comes to bowling.
If the alternatives at number 6 are as bad as Rohit and Gambhir, Ashwin batting there would hardly weaken the batting. And as I say, 4 pacers is a non-negotiable.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Jun 2014, 8:03 am

Akshar Patel is getting a lot of attention, particularly after the IPL. It remains to be seen how he copes with that, and how his attacking bowling develops. Gopal I am not sure has quite reached that stage yet, his batting hasn't flourished at the senior level though he has been an all0-rounder at the age group levels, and his bowling needs to attain greater consistency. Certainly one to look forward to, but may not be in the next couple of years. It is so unfortunate that Uttar Pradesh are not giving young Kuldeep Yadav opportunities even though the spinner they have in their ranks is Chawla!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 21 Jun 2014, 8:52 am

Now that the Bangladesh series is done, think we can move over here for the upcoming England tour.
Like with India, it will be interesting to see how England's combinations shape up. Playing Moeen Ali as the led spinner may not be the smartest move that England can make. They also have the issue of accommodating young Ben Stokes, the only hope to have emerged from the horrers of the winter. Will they go in with 5 seamers including Stokes and Joe Root as the spinner?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 21 Jun 2014, 8:55 am

As for India, will the 6th batsman give way to Stuart Binny or R Ashwin/Ravindra Jadeja as all-rounders?
I would favor playing Ashwin at 6 and then 4 proper seamers, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Pankaj Singh and Varun Aaron. But they'll go in with Rohit Sharma at 6, Ashwin/Jadeja at 8, and Kumar, Shami and the one and only Ishant Sharma.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 21 Jun 2014, 3:38 pm

I don't think English pitches would require a 2nd spinner, particularly since their led spinner is a parttimer. If we are picking 5 bowlers, then Ashwin will be my all-rounder/spinner, if it is 4 bowlers then Jadeja. Think Jadeja is a better spin option in non-spinning conditions but Ashwin is the better batsman, capable of batting at 6. So if we are going in with 5 bowlers,
M Vijay
Shikhar Dhawan
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli
Ajinkya Rahane
R Ashwin
MS Dhoni
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Varun Aaron
Ishwar Pandey
Mohammed Shami
If we go in with 4 bowlers
Vijay
Dhawan
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Rohit/Binny
Dhoni
Jadeja
Kumar
Pandey
Shami.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 21 Jun 2014, 3:44 pm

MSP you'd go in with a debutant(Pandey) and Aaron who's only got 1 cap? If you play 5 bowlers?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 21 Jun 2014, 4:04 pm

Gerry SA wrote:MSP you'd go in with a debutant(Pandey) and Aaron who's only got 1 cap? If you play 5 bowlers?
What to do Gerry, the alternative is Ishant Sharma!.
Howsoever useless he's he won't be dropped though, and will play all 5 tests unfortunately!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 21 Jun 2014, 4:10 pm

msp83 wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:MSP you'd go in with a debutant(Pandey) and Aaron who's only got 1 cap? If you play 5 bowlers?
What to do Gerry, the alternative is Ishant Sharma!.
Howsoever useless he's he won't be dropped though, and will play all 5 tests unfortunately!.
Ah now I see your dilemma MSP!

Pick the rookies over Ishant! 100%

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 21 Jun 2014, 5:10 pm

Depends on the pitches I think. The summer has been reasonably dry in England so far (don't wanna jinx it) and if the weather remains dry, it'll be impossible for the groundsmen to prepare wickets that don't take turn, especially at Old Trafford and The Oval although unfortunately, from an Indian point of view, those are the last 2 tests so we can't afford to lag too far behind. For the first Test at Trent Bridge, 4 seamers and 1 spinner seems to be a no brainer. Thats the most seam friendly wicket in England and even Graeme Swann doesn't have a particularly auspicious record there. But as the series goes on, on flatter pitches like Lord's Oval and OT, 2 spinners can be considered. Not too sure what to expect at Rose Bowl as there has only ever been 1 test played there and that was in the first half of the summer against Sri Lanka in 2011. In FC cricket, tracks have tended to turn there. The likes of Imran Tahir have done well for Hampshire in the past. In limited overs cricket, that pitch has tended to be on the flatter style but I'm not too sure what to expect there for a test match.

For the first Test at Trent Bridge

Murali Vijay
Shikhar Dhawan
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli
Ajinkya Rahane
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (c-wk)
Ravichandran Ashwin/Ravindra Jadeja (depends on performances in warm ups but in a 5 man attack would generally prefer Ashwin as he offers far greater assurance with the bat)
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Ishwar Pandey
Mohammad Shami
Varun Aaron

On flatter surfaces, the second spinner can come in for maybe Pandey. Pankaj Singh is a good backup for all of them.

I won't seriously consider Ishant, Rohit, Gambhir or Binny barring a miraculous performance in the warm ups or a horrendous loss of form of the first choice players.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 21 Jun 2014, 5:19 pm

I'd play 5 bowlers every single game. The only dilemma is 3+2 or 4+1 which shall be decided by the nature of the pitch. But even on a raging green top, I won't consider going in with an extra batsman because that would leave us with only 4 bowlers, one of whom will be a spinner, who'll be completely ineffectual at least in the first innings ala Jo'burg where Ashwin bowled only 6 or 7 overs in the first innings and the 3 seamers ended up getting overbowled and had no gas left for the second innings. So I think 4 seamers is imperative on a green top rather than an extra batsman, who'd hardly make a difference anyway especially when your name is Nohit Sharma or Gautam Gambhir.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 21 Jun 2014, 7:03 pm

The New Zeleanders had done some serious damage when they gifted Ishant all those wickets, he never needed to get any to stay in the side, with 2 5 wicket haul, he should be in for the next 5 years at least. The side I expect India to put up.
Vijay, Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Rohit, Dhoni, Ashwin, Kumar, Sharma, Shami.
When Ravindra Jadeja developed a convenient injury during the West Indies series last year when he could play any other format other than test cricket, it was preparation for South Africa where the team wanted to go in with 6 batsmen though Dhoni at 6 and Jadeja and Ashwin as all-rounders worked wonders during the Australia series earlier. As I said, MSD is stubborn as they come on these issues, so Rohit gets a free pass. And with no Zaheer and none of the other bowlers experienced, Ishant Sharma will be playing every game so long as he can take the field because he has been continuously accumulating experience of being useless over 50 tests.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 21 Jun 2014, 7:34 pm

www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-india-2014/content/current/story/754411.html … Hope MSD executes what he has said about his batting. Only way he can score any Test runs abroad.

'I should go for my shots' - Dhoni
MS Dhoni, speaking about his batting, said he felt he should not be conservative during the five-Test series against England.
"For me, what's important is that I have to be far more aggressive. That's something that I have observed. When I play freely, I tend to fare much better than when I try to play like a proper batsman. I think it's something important to back your instinct and not think too much about the situation," Dhoni said.
In his seven Tests in England, Dhoni has scored 429 runs at 39, which is slightly better than his career average of 38.77. "In a set of six to seven batsmen, it's important that I back my instincts and try and score boundaries. That way I will score more runs rather than playing for time. That can be the job of other batsmen but I feel that it's important I should go for the shots."

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 21 Jun 2014, 7:44 pm

Absolutely spot on, MS. His defensive technique is not good enough to survive in those conditions, but if he starts looking for scoring opportunities, then things could be better.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 22 Jun 2014, 8:24 pm

The more I think the more I am getting convinced about the need to have Ravichandran Ashwin in at 6 in place of the hopless FTB. Ashwin at 6, and then 4 proper seamers. That should be the way to go. Ishant Sharma will certainly start the series whether we want it or not barring injuries, so the 3 others have to be Shami, Bhuvi and whoever performs better in warm-ups among Aaron, Pankaj and Pandey. And if at all the tracks are likely to turn, Ravindra Jadeja in for one of the seamers and bat at 8.
Stuart Binny's performances with the ball in Bangladesh has raised hopes in some people and even the likes of Rahul Dravid finds him to be India's take away from the short ODI series in Bangladesh. But I don't think his batting, or bowling certainly, are test class.
Ashwin who averages close to 40 in test cricket, 36 in FC cricket is a much better bat who has a much better technique. He may not be good enough to be India's led spinner in a 4 man attack, but if he takes greater batting responsibilities and then play in a 5 man attack, then that will be terrific.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 23 Jun 2014, 8:26 am

Msp...Ashwin is not capable of averaging even 15 runs against the Anderson / Broad / Plunkett attack.

all these Indian bowler's batting capabilities are on our own patta pitches.

even the rated as a geniune allrounder akshar patel......was hopeless inept with his feet movement when the ball was swinging in BD.

and same with Dhoni and Jadeja....they are so ditinctly uncomfortable.

and unfortunately India's no. 6, 7,8 and downwards are exposed to the 2nd new ball.

Dhoni and jadeja can give you an average of 25 runs each
and Ashwin 15 max

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 23 Jun 2014, 9:05 am

KPF, Ashwin has a test average that is better than that of Ravindra Jadeja and Mahendra Singh Dhoni at this stage of his career. He looked a lot more comfortable than most of our batsman during the horrific 2011 tour. He averages 36 in FC cricket like the Karnataka slogger whom you have been highlighting. But the difference is that Ashwin has a pretty decent technique. If Ashwin is good enough to average only 15 against Anderson and co, then Binny will be India's Thirimanne over there if he plays!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 23 Jun 2014, 9:23 am

Ashwin averaged a relatively respectable 32.6 with the bat in the 3 tests he played in Australia.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 23 Jun 2014, 10:03 am

msp83 wrote:KPF, Ashwin has a test average that is better than that of Ravindra Jadeja and Mahendra Singh Dhoni at this stage of his career. He looked a lot more comfortable than most of our batsman during the horrific 2011 tour. He averages 36 in FC cricket like the Karnataka slogger whom you have been highlighting. But the difference is that Ashwin has a pretty decent technique. If Ashwin is good enough to average only 15 against Anderson and co, then Binny will be India's Thirimanne over there if he plays!.

where have you seen ashwin bat in tests in overseas conditions ?
in India B. Kumar and praveen Kumar and everyone is an allrounder.......overseas conditions turns even Dhoni and Jadeja into near tailenders.

Binny averaging 48 last season is a propper middle order batsman from the FC circuit.....who can bowl also.
he may succeed or may fail.........comparing him to Ashwin is like comparing Rohit/ Rahane etc selecred as batsmen to ashwin

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 23 Jun 2014, 1:36 pm

KP_fan wrote:Msp...Ashwin is not capable of averaging even 15 runs against the Anderson / Broad / Plunkett attack.

even the rated as a geniune allrounder akshar patel......was hopeless inept with his feet movement when the ball was swinging in BD.

and unfortunately India's no. 6, 7,8 and downwards are exposed to the 2nd new ball.

and Ashwin 15 max

How is Jadeja better than Ashwin?

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 23 Jun 2014, 1:39 pm

KP_fan wrote:
msp83 wrote:KPF, Ashwin has a test average that is better than that of Ravindra Jadeja and Mahendra Singh Dhoni at this stage of his career. He looked a lot more comfortable than most of our batsman during the horrific 2011 tour. He averages 36 in FC cricket like the Karnataka slogger whom you have been highlighting. But the difference is that Ashwin has a pretty decent technique. If Ashwin is good enough to average only 15 against Anderson and co, then Binny will be India's Thirimanne over there if he plays!.

in India B. Kumar and praveen Kumar and everyone is an allrounder.......overseas conditions turns even Dhoni and Jadeja into near tailenders.

Binny averaging 48 last season is a propper  middle order batsman from the FC circuit.....who can bowl also.
he may succeed or may fail.........comparing him to Ashwin is like comparing Rohit/ Rahane etc selecred as batsmen to ashwin

picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard 

Your idiocy knows no bounds.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 23 Jun 2014, 1:43 pm

KP_fan wrote:

Binny averaging 48 last season is a propper  middle order batsman from the FC circuit.....who can bowl also.

Can't you read ....  picard 
msp83 wrote:Ashwin averaged a relatively respectable 32.6 with the bat in the 3 tests he played in Australia.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:47 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:
KP_fan wrote:Msp...Ashwin is not capable of averaging even 15 runs against the Anderson / Broad / Plunkett attack.

and Ashwin 15 max

How is Jadeja better than Ashwin?

by a bit but defnitely better on 2 counts...he has the inning building temperament of a batsman.......and hitting ability
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 23 Jun 2014, 3:48 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard picard 

Your idiocy knows no bounds.

thanks for an illuminating discussion with your cricketing comments  laughing 
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 24 Jun 2014, 3:58 pm

Aakash Chopra on twitter ✔ @cricketaakash
Dhamika Prasad showing the importance of having a hit-the-deck-hard bowler on day 4-5 pitch. Hope Indians are taking note of this.

well they have brouhgt many a medium pace trundlers....they should have had Yadav
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 24 Jun 2014, 3:59 pm

yadav, aaron and shami would have been PERFECT
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:24 pm

KPF, I am actually not too sure about Aaron. He doesn't seem to have a lot to his bowling other than decent pace. Does not get much seam movement, does not get much swing. Good pace with accuracy can still trouble batsman, but Aaron can't list accuracy as his strength really, and his pace is not in the Mitch J category, he's in the level next.......
But yes, Umesh should have been a part of the touring party, 100 percent.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 24 Jun 2014, 5:40 pm

msp83 wrote:KPF, I am actually not too sure about Aaron. He doesn't seem to have a lot to his bowling other than decent pace. Does not get much seam movement, does not get much swing. Good pace with accuracy can still trouble batsman, but Aaron can't list accuracy as his strength really, and his pace is not in the Mitch J category, he's in the level next.......

do not judge him on his ODI show.......on patta pitches when batsmen go after you these days every one gets hit
he is a typical fast bowler who gets seam movement....at those speed conventional swing is not excpected.....he does get reverse

for line, length and conventional swing we wil have Binny as the 4th seamer as agreed Smile
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 7:01 pm

KP_fan wrote:
msp83 wrote:KPF, I am actually not too sure about Aaron. He doesn't seem to have a lot to his bowling other than decent pace. Does not get much seam movement, does not get much swing. Good pace with accuracy can still trouble batsman, but Aaron can't list accuracy as his strength really, and his pace is not in the Mitch J category, he's in the level next.......

do not judge him on his ODI show.......on patta pitches when batsmen go after you these days every one gets hit
he is a typical fast bowler who gets seam movement....at those speed conventional swing is not excpected.....he does get reverse

for line, length and conventional swing we wil have Binny as the 4th seamer as agreed Smile
Even when he took the new ball in ODIs, his deliveries went gun barrel straight most often. Of course the pitches didn't help, and hopefully English conditions would offer him something.
And Binny? No thanks, Dhoni can do a better job with the ball!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 24 Jun 2014, 9:02 pm

msp wrote:Even when he took the new ball in ODIs, his deliveries went gun barrel straight most often. Of course the pitches didn't help, and hopefully English conditions would offer him something.
And Binny? No thanks, Dhoni can do a better job with the ball!.

Binny is better than Dhoni.......Binny swings in air...dhoni nips its off the seam.
Binny will be like father Binny

Aaron.....I have seen him in FC....if there is assitance in the pitch he gets it to move off the seam.
and all his test wkts he picked was with reverse

Last edited by KP_fan on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 25 Jun 2014, 12:53 pm

--Tomorrow starts India's 3 day game at Lecister.....followed by a game at Derby finishing on 3rd Jul.

ECB favors giving Ind a lot of games and also in events like world cup a base in Lecister....wonder why?

--I also see  schedule  has given a 5 to 6 day break between end of Derby game and the start of T1...why waste these many days eating at McDonalds and wandering around shopping.
They should squeeze one more practice game ?

--T1  at Nottingham and T3 at Rosebowl ( is that Yorkshire or Durham?)  are in my understanding seam friendly venues

--remaining 3 pitches are drier / batting friendly/ spin friendly locations of Oval, Old Trafford and Lords...at least conventionally unless the English turn them also in greener / bouncier pitches .

--and there are 5 back to back to back......test matches...gruelling for the bowlers.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-india-2014/content/series/667693.html?template=fixtures

Date and Time Match Weather The Weather Channel
Thu Jun 26 - Sat Jun 28
10:00 GMT | 11:00 local
11:00 BST Leicestershire v Indians
Grace Road, Leicester Mostly Cloudy 12 - 21° C  
Tue Jul 1 - Thu Jul 3
11:00 BST Derbyshire v Indians
County Ground, Derby
N/A
Wed Jul 9 - Sun Jul 13
11:00 BST 1st Investec Test - England v India
Trent Bridge, Nottingham
N/A
Thu Jul 17 - Mon Jul 21
11:00 BST 2nd Investec Test - England v India
Lord's, London
N/A
Sun Jul 27 - Thu Jul 31
11:00 BST 3rd Investec Test - England v India
The Rose Bowl, Southampton
N/A
Thu Aug 7 - Mon Aug 11
11:00 BST 4th Investec Test - England v India
Old Trafford, Manchester
N/A
Fri Aug 15 - Tue Aug 19
11:00 BST 5th Investec Test - England v India
Kennington Oval, London
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 11:40 am

Ohh its one of those bat and bowl as many guys as you want type of a game...
so it's not a FC game
and hence devoid of seriousness
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next