The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread

+21
Diggers
sportform
The Special Juan
owen10ozzy
SirJohnnyEnglish
Kurt N. Jurqa
Fernando
Ent
Alistair
Scrumpy
Stella
Hammersmith harrier
compelling and rich
Liam
skyeman
Dolphin Ziggler
GSC
NickisBHAFC
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
mystiroakey
25 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread - Page 3 Empty The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Thats my Team GSC

I would be inclined to play Barkley instead of Ox if he isn't fit over sterling tbh. Both strong- both run at the opposition. Sterling does off course do this but isn't quite as physically imposing- all 3 have great feet but the former two are just stronger. Sterling is the better overall player though and perhaps would be the best option v costa rica and italy but against uruguay at the least I would rather have strength in the shape of ox or barkley.

I am surprised hearing many others saying wilshire had no impact. I thought it was his best game for yonks. Nothing spectacular but he played the way CM's should play- bright , alert, took the odd player on, was forward passing on the whole. Ok he got taken down a few too many times- but 70% of the time it results in retaining possession in a free kick.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:05 pm

I think Scholes might know a thing or two on both things he discussed, as a young upcoming midfielder himself once upon time he knows exactly what Wilshere needs to do to progress and has spent years training with Rooney so knows the score on that one as well.

To be honest he was shamefully disrespected by Erikson, imagine being moved to the left to accommodate Lampard and Gerrard, that would make my blood boil too.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:07 pm

mystiroakey wrote:"not a personality though because to have a personality you have to jump about like Ian Wright. "

No you just need a personality to have a personality. Its self explanatory

The problem I have with scholes is the way he expresses himself- which is probably my own failings. If one of my friends spoke in that way , I would take them to a shrink. He doesn't sound well or happy- Ever!!

Anyway. the major issue with scholes that has come to light recently as he has just popped in to the media- he has had the odd pundit job and he has started a possible career move towards the media .

Its the fact he is negative about everything. What he says may be right, but never something we dont know. Its not insightful. But what it allways is is negative. After a game of football or commenting on a team you as the person being interviewed or addressed can talk about various things. You can talk about the positives, many pundits do that to much of course, others like Keane perhaps talks about the negatives to much(this is also what scholes seems to be doing)

Ok not everyone is Gary Neville-0 who hits the nail on the head with not just insightful comments but also discusses the whole picture- negatives and positives.

Hes just a dour Manc, you must have met dour Northerners. And to be fair to him, hes not done many appearances and has said some very insightful things and given a view that not only is relatively fresh but is also backed up by a huge amount of experience for both United, England and the top levels of football.

And having a dry personality doesnt mean you have none. Nor does he have to show every aspect of it to people he doesnt know. I quite like seeing someone who is quietly assured just talk about football and answer what is asked of him. If Shearer was saying anything interesting Id have no problem with him, but hes both dull in delivery and dull in content.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:11 pm

Shearer is a likeable chap though even if he is a little dour, Scholes is well, not!

Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:28 pm

Roy Hodgson is going to wait as long as possible before making a final decision on the fitness of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

I would say that, even if he can't play a part until perhaps the last sixteen, Oxlade should be kept in the squad as the replacements for him are so inadequate.

Keep Oxlade in Brazil - he has a fantastic name, and isn't half-bad at this footballing lark either.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:47 pm

Even if Oxlade broke both his legs, caught yellow fever & then was set on fire by a criminal gang, while in his wheelchair outside the hotel, I still wouldn't call up anyone to replace him, such is the depressing reality of how s*** that stand-by list is.

Absolute no-brainer for Roy to wait.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:47 pm

there is no need for anyone else in attack or midfield even if he isnt going to be fit enough. He would be replaced by a defender i would guess- if that happens

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:49 pm

If we do call up someone from the standby list I'd call up Stones or Flanagan to push Johnson rather than the awful attackers we got on standby lol
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:57 pm

Which attackers do we even have on standby?

Stones should be in the squad ahead of Smalling.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Am I right in saying we've got Cleverley, Young and Carroll as attacking standby options? But Carroll's in bleedin' Dubai, so is no use.

I wish Cleverley and Young were in bleedin' Dubai!

Keep praying for Oxlade.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:28 pm

Surprisingly Young actually plays better for England than United. But even so i would cry if he replaces Oxlade. Carroll in Dubai haha that doesn't surprise me.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:33 pm

Oh and there's Michael Carrick, as well. But he's in Ibiza.

I wouldn't call any of them up if I were Roy; it would be better to fight on with just a twenty-two man squad if Oxlade's injury is tournament-ending.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:54 pm

Carrick, cleverly and young have served either England or hosgpsn well and don't deserve the Poopie treatment he has given them.

Don't judge a man on how he treats his equals etc

Carrick and cleverly should both be on the squad - as should Ashley cole.

Hodgson is a donkey.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:23 am

Lolz lolz lolz lolz epic lolz
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:45 am

England expected to line-up tonight like this:

Hart/Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines/Gerrard, Henderson/Lallana, Rooney, Welbeck/Sturridge.

That will presumably be the team for next week as well, with the possible exception of Raheem Sterling who is suspended tonight; it is likely, however, that he will be on the bench for the Italy game.

Honduras don't look like much on paper. I imagine Hodgson will be hoping for a confidence-boosting win, no injuries and a decent performance. If Rooney can boost his own flagging confidence with a good display tonight, it will be very much appreciated as well.

I'll say 2, maybe 3, nil to England tonight.

And if you flick over to the BBC red button at around 22:30 tonight (might have to check that), you can rewind the clock by about twenty-four years and see England's heart-break at Italia 90 against West Germany in full.

Last edited by Duty281 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:49 am

Carroll, like he was told I may add, went on holiday with his girlfriend before coming home. In the same way Carrick was told to go on holiday. By Roy. They were not meant to stay at home and wait by the phone, they were meant to go relax but keep some fitness.

Having seen Lampard play, if I was Roy my choice would be Carrick to replace Ox.

Or he could have picked a better standby list and had someone like Curtis Davies in there, or Clyne, to add to our weak defensive choices.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:51 am

The best thing that could happen tonight is for Lampard to get injured, he'll be more of a hindrance than a help, Carrick can at least retain possession even if he's not the most creative with it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:25 am

Scott Dann needs the Call Up Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:26 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Carroll, like he was told I may add, went on holiday with his girlfriend before coming home. In the same way Carrick was told to go on holiday. By Roy. They were not meant to stay at home and wait by the phone, they were meant to go relax but keep some fitness.

Having seen Lampard play, if I was Roy my choice would be Carrick to replace Ox.

Or he could have picked a better standby list and had someone like Curtis Davies in there, or Clyne, to add to our weak defensive choices.

Stones > those two anyways, he'll get rightly called up if Ox can't make it I reckon
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:53 am

Stones is fine, but hes only getting billed as being this good cos hes young. He did well, but I dont think hes as good a defender as Davies is, hasnt had as good a season and its an area where we have two young defenders in back up.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:06 pm

Roy Hodgson has thrown away his restraint, and has given reasons for why England can finally win the greatest prize in football for the second time.

He's also gently hinted that Sterling may start against Italy after his brilliant reaction in training, where he was "unstoppable at times".

All looking good then for three points next Saturday!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:18 pm

I'd play Sterling against Uruguay but not Italy. I think Welbeck will be a very good player to have around against Italy.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Welbeck is less likely to do something stupid which will be crucial against Italy plus he can hold on to the ball a bit better.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:53 pm

To be honest, I'd play Sterling and Lallana, because you need to attack in the wide areas where I feel Italy have a weakness. It's through the middle of the pitch where Italy have an advantage, and where England will need to stifle and hinder them at every point and turn - hence why I'd also pick Henderson over Wilshere.

I do expect, however, Welbeck will be picked and that in itself isn't a bad option.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:24 pm

Wellbeck has a lot to prove tonight.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:28 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Wellbeck has a lot to prove tonight.

Agreed, he has always done quite well for England but too many times he makes the wrong choice. If only he could improve by 20% on the right option. He then could be one hell of a player for both club and country.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:36 pm

I like Welbeck for England on the left, I feel he does a sound job there.

But maybe England don't want sound, maybe they want dynamic or inspirational.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:18 pm

very true. I am the first to back up welbeck when he plays on the left- He works tirelessly . But look lets be honest we didn't bring cole or carrick, so what is the point in playing defensively minded wingers but not have a proper DM or a proper defending left back when we could have! It makes little sense.

Attack , Attack Attack, win or lose I will be happy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Probably Roy's starting XI in Manaus. Rather have England pick players that offer more than Park Ji Sung
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:45 pm

England starting XI: Hart, Johnson, Baines, Gerrard, Cahill, Jagielka, Henderson, Rooney, Lallana, Sturridge, Welbeck.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Starting XI as expected then.

After this there'll be no more friendlies, just seven games separating this England team from sporting immortality.

The chance of a lifetime, the glory that could define these players' careers, and the sweet, blessed hope that springs out of the fountain of optimism.

Come on England!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:12 pm

I don't mind Welbeck, an unpopular opinion I know. He does a good job from the left and he can chip in with a few goals now and then.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:18 pm

If Danny Welbeck played for Norwich he'd have 0 caps.

Chuck Smalling and Jones in that category too
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:22 pm

GSC wrote:If Danny Welbeck played for Norwich he'd have 0 caps.

Chuck Smalling and Jones in that category too

Smalling i agree with.

Jones, a couple of years ago was regarded very highly by many. Wellbeck. Well, Fergie liked him.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:24 pm

If Rooney is the English Pele, Welbeck is the English Park Ji Sung
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt N. Jurqa Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:35 pm

Football comes on the tv, wife turns to me and says 'Well this is unnecessary' and turns it to Father of the Bride 2. We'll be having words.

Kurt N. Jurqa

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:37 pm

Gf has delusions about Britain's got more talents
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:37 pm

Kurt N. Jurqa wrote:Football comes on the tv, wife turns to me and says 'Well this is unnecessary' and turns it to Father of the Bride 2. We'll be having words.

Horrific. Banish her
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Kurt N. Jurqa wrote:Football comes on the tv, wife turns to me and says 'Well this is unnecessary' and turns it to Father of the Bride 2. We'll be having words.

The wife is always right Wink 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:39 pm

Itvs coverage really lacks without the underlying tone of Keane wanting to kill Chiles
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Players again not singing the anthem with pride.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:43 pm

Bin her

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:43 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Players again not singing the anthem with pride.

Aye Alan Brazil said "what a disgrace"

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:44 pm

Tbf I'm surprised half of them can remember the words
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:45 pm

GSC wrote:Tbf I'm surprised half of them can remember the words

Laugh 

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Roy Confirms that Sterling would of started if not suspended.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:46 pm

GSC wrote:Tbf I'm surprised half of them can remember the words

It it were ABBA's money, money, money Very Happy 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:48 pm

Fernando wrote:Roy Confirms that Sterling would of started if not suspended.

Unless Wellbeck is on fire tonight, think Sterling is a nail on starter next week.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:49 pm

Sturridge looked suspiciously like he was miming
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:49 pm

Bright start.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:51 pm

Like to see more thrust
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next