The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

+23
NickisBHAFC
Dorothy_Mantooth
Gregers
Corporalhumblebucket
chrisss
Scrumpy
wadey101
liverbnz
Hoggy_Bear
trebellbobaggins
Duty281
VTR
kingraf
Gerry SA
Good Golly I'm Olly
JDizzle
msp83
guildfordbat
Mad for Chelsea
GSC
alfie
ShankyCricket
KP_fan
27 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 10 Empty SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by KP_fan Thu 19 Jun - 20:42

First topic message reminder :

Starts tomm and it seems the indisposed Prassanna the WK is a blessing in disguise.
Chandimal will keep wickets and will allow Lanka to play an extra batsman and given that the pitch is expected to assist seamers , it will help Lanka to have some extra batting cushion.

the other thing SL should and will look at is Kulasekhara...too gentle in speeds.......Lakmal was probably their first choice and unlikely  to have recovered from his hamstring strain.
They should play Dhamika prasad who bowls in excess of 140kph.....and captain Angelo should be willing to use himself a bit more as a seamer

Sri Lanka wicketkeeper Prasanna Jayawardene will be unavailable for selection for the second Test, thanks to a finger injury to his right hand, which he sustained while keeping during the first day at Lord's.

He will be replaced in the squad by batsman Kithuruwan Vithanage, with Dinesh Chandimal likely to take over the gloves at Headingley. The injury will not prevent Jayawardene from batting in the second innings of the first Tes
t.

Last edited by KP_fan on Thu 19 Jun - 20:51; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 10 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by Hibbz Thu 26 Jun - 7:59

I thought Moeen looked pretty outstanding. No great issue for me losing to a joyful Sri Lanka (even in such agonising circumstances) if the upside is we've picked a future star. If he can take a wicket or two along the way then even better.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 10 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 26 Jun - 8:25

One of the positives is the way the new boys have performed

Robson - a hundred in his second test is fairly good going, has some issues but has shown he has the character and temperament for this level.

Ballance - a hundred and a fifty at three, I think he's a real talent this kid

Moeen - Fantastic hundred and a good fourty, also some handy wickets (seems very good bowling to left handers). Think we will have to accept that sometimes he is going to play extravagant shots and get out cheaply

Jordan - Good first test, disappointing second. Maybe feeling the effects of a lot of cricket. Promising again

Plunkett - Fantastic. Completely unrecognisable to the bloke from seven years ago
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 26 Jun - 8:42

The new boys were outstanding I thought. Ali was 2 balls from going down in history up there with Atherton in Jo'burg for disciplined innings. Jordan is probably going to find himself out of the team for Stokes but he can proud of his start to his England career. 

As for the old hands, Prior's keeping was abysmal at times. Cook is shot to pieces, Broad wasn't fit, Bell is doing the same thing he was 8/9 years ago - looking elegant yet throwing it away - and Jimmy was unlucky and poor in equal measure.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 26 Jun - 8:48

liverbnz wrote:The new boys were outstanding I thought. Ali was 2 balls from going down in history up there with Atherton in Jo'burg for disciplined innings. Jordan is probably going to find himself out of the team for Stokes but he can proud of his start to his England career. 

As for the old hands, Prior's keeping was abysmal at times. Cook is shot to pieces, Broad wasn't fit, Bell is doing the same thing he was 8/9 years ago - looking elegant yet throwing it away - and Jimmy was unlucky and poor in equal measure.
Broad for me is a real worry, cos he was struggling to hit 80mph for most of that 2nd innings. Has a very similar feel to when we rushed him back for the south Africa series and he sent down dobblers for Amla and co to smack away all day. If he's fully fit he's in, but he isn't and for me he should be left out until he is.

And yes it is the senior players letting the side down, and has been for a little while now. Ultimately its why we're losing
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 27 Jun - 0:35

I would say the new boys showed a lot of promise , with some outstanding performances ; though understandably inconsistent as yet.
Moeen Ali , for example , was fantastic on the last day : but he needed to be as he had been guilty of getting out to daft shots at crucial stages in previous innings. Which is not to be too critical - he finishes well in credit for the series. But if we are apportioning blame for the loss of advantage in both Tests , he is one who must take some of it. As is Jordan , for some awful bowling at Headingley . And Robson with a very loose dismissal late on day four...So it isn't just the experienced players who are responsible for the lost series.

Truth is the whole team was guilty of failing to play with the required intensity and judgement on a consistent basis. In fact England dominated both matches for long periods , but ended up losing because of apparent loss of focus at a few key moments : the second innings collapse at Lord's that ultimately prevented England from reaching their declaration target in time to get Sri Lanka in that night was one (argue all you like about the timing of the declaration ; there is little doubt England would have had a crack at them before stumps had they not had to repair a faltering innings with the resultant loss of scoring rate) Similarly the collapse from 280/2 or whatever it was in the first innings here : a 200 lead and guaranteed win was there for the taking. And of course the lacklustre bowling on day four that condemned them to a final target that proved way too high.

None of this means England are a basket case. As was said above , the new players generally acquitted themselves well ; and the old hands , the struggling Cook excepted , all had their moments - even Broad grabbed a hat trick in one of his two very good spells among the distinctly underwhelming.
I think it reasonable to hope that this team will get better - and certainly more consistent - as it settles in : all the recent changes and a rotten run of results have clearly left the everyone bereft of the confidence that comes from trusting your own game and that of your teammates. Restoring that confidence is a bit of a chicken and egg business , which is why I am neither surprised or shattered by this latest reverse.

Someone called this England's nadir : I hope he was right ; because by definition , that means the next move is up.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 27 Jun - 1:40

Eng is down to No. 5 in ICC rankings......is that a Nadir ? naah they can fall lower see scenarios below:

--India has risen to No.4 purely by Eng's fall...just like Eng had risen to No.3 by India's fall in NZ and SA.

--Now if Eng draw or lose to Ind ( we really don't know who is worse here)
AND
Lanka draw or win against SA at home ( they are quite likely to draw at least)

then Eng will fall to No.6

--India could come out of this series at No.3 or No. 5 or even go as low as No. 6 if they get anotehr 4-0 white wash and depending on lankan results

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 27 Jun - 2:37

England have only released two players for county duty, the rest going to a training camp in Loughborough

Those two released were Chris Woakes, and rather more suspiciously Moeen Ali...

*pre warning if they drop Moeen I might have quite the rant*
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 27 Jun - 4:38

what is the pitch like in Notingham
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 27 Jun - 6:04

Olly wrote:England have only released two players for county duty, the rest going to a training camp in Loughborough

Those two released were Chris Woakes, and rather more suspiciously Moeen Ali...

*pre warning if they drop Moeen I might have quite the rant*
If Moeen Ali gets more overs under his belt by playing county cricket, then that'll be better for him more than a session with the 'leadership trainer' and lot!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 27 Jun - 10:13

Stupid that England aren't allowing Jordan and Prior to play for Sussex tomorrow night. Thought the ECB said it was support to the t20? Idiots.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10