The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got??

+8
milkyboy
Gerry SA
jimdig
Mr Bounce
Strongback
88Chris05
hazharrison
TopHat24/7
12 posters

Go down

Winner:

Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got?? Vote_lcap18%Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got?? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got?? Vote_lcap27%Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got?? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]
Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got?? Vote_lcap55%Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got?? Vote_rcap 55% 
[ 6 ]
Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got?? Vote_lcap0%Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got?? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got?? Vote_lcap0%Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got?? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got?? Empty Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got??

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:59 am

Really exciting match-up this weekend. Unbeaten American slickster with silky skills and decent power versus Cuban amateur star with serious power but high-risk low-guard style and a suspect chin.

Someone's '0' has got to go, but who's?

WHO YA GOT??

Me - I think TC is good and slick but, a bit like GRJr last weekend, he's got nothing that exciting on his record and beat a fairly week champion to take the belt. I'd back the Gamboa of 2 yrs ago to take this within 6 rounds, but he's older, a little slower and his power less effective having moved up from FW therefore I'm going for Gamboa UD with a few scares along the way......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got?? Empty Re: Crawford vs Gamboa - who ya got??

Post by hazharrison Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:28 am

Crawford's tight at the weight and you can never discount a fighter linked to a PED scandal (they do pull off some miraculous results) but I believe Gamboa's inactivity will cost him here. Crawford to win a decision.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:47 am

If you're only as good as your last fight, then Crawford should take it. He looked very good against Burns - on the other hand, Gamboa was very low-key against Perez, nowhere near as explosive and quick as he used to seem down at Feather, and he was decked and then hurt multiple times before that against Farenas. I'm sure Gamboa can raise his level from those two fights, mind you.

Very exciting and intriguing match up but I think Crawford might just have got Gamboa at a decent time. Gamboa could win it early but Crawford doesn't give much away with his defence and seems a pretty good tactician with nice ring smarts so I'm going to pick him to win a decision, pulling away in the late stages. But it's a very risky and challenging first defence, so all credit to him and it's definitely not a fight you'd feel comfortable betting too much on.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:58 am

I agree that Crawford looked very classy against Burns. I voted Crawford by decision.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:21 am

A lot being based on what, 1 fight by TC??

Struggle to find anything impressive on his record.

Gamboa's issue is his record is miles better, but all based off his FW exploits - I worry LW is too big for him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:30 pm

This goes one of two ways. Crawford SHOULD win this at a canter - he appears to have the skills. However, one slip and Gamboa might take him out. I see that if Crawford makes him miss a lot, Gamboa will have his head boxed off all night, and it's an easy UD for Crawford.

I still have that nagging doubt though. Lots of questions about Gamboa. Long layoff, poor last couple of fights, can he hack it at LW and bring his power up? That siad, this could be his springboard back to the top.

Against all my better judgement I think he gets Crawford out of there inside 8 rounds. As it's me making a prediction, expect the opposite: that'll be a Crawford UD then...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Question for people backing Crawford heavily, are you basing this on any of his fights other than Burns last time out?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:49 pm

I'm going to go for Gamboa and his massive head to stop Crawford. Gamboa has been so inactive and ahsn't shown form since 2011. So its very difficult to judge where he is at.

So based on his bad form and inactivity, fighting at a higher weight. I see him steamrolling over micheal crawford, ooh betty!!!

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:04 pm

Crawford has become an ATG after beating a second tier fighter like Burns? Burns got tanned by Gonzalez until he quit. Beltran clearly beat him. Then Crawford picked up the leftovers.

Gamboa by 7th round KO.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:01 pm

Tough call this, one guy with plenty of ability but still a bit unproven, against a guy with loads of talent and an excellent record but who looks a bit past his prime and above his best weight.

It should be one for the purists and might not be the most exciting fight, but when the margins seem small, sometimes it seems best to go with the recent performances and/or the younger hungrier guy. Boxing is all about timing and i think the timing may be right for crawford. Not a fight i'd bet on though... too many variables.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:22 pm

I agree with the general consensus that Crawford will take this, not because he's some atg like people are joking about but Gamboa has allowed his peak to pass him by and at lightweight he just doesn't look like a force

I love/loved Gamboa, he was my favourite boxer and a phenomenal talent. The speed, the reflexes, the power, combo's etc he reminded me a lot like Pacquiao but with a tighter defence. I thought he was amazing but his inactivity has hurt him. He has looked very ordinary in his last two fights and while the speed is there his chin seems a bit vulnerable

Now I like Crawford, and I actually thought he'd deal with burns a little easier. He moves well, can punch with both fists hard and can transition from southpaw to othodox seamlessly. He has been caught too and seems to have a sound pair of whiskers, he is fit and strong at the weight

Think it'll be tense at first with each trying to box but if things go sour for one of them you think that Crawford with his size/power/chin etc can try walk Gamboa down and really put pressure on him if need be

So yea close fight, Gamboa the better fighter but Crawford's size & form swings it in his favour

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:34 pm

I'll certainly be watching but can't pick with any confidence. I'd like to see the Gamboa of old, whose lightning combinations had no place existing outside of tekken, but fear he's simply too small and rusty to be effective.

Although Prescott has little that resembles Gamboa, their fight showed that Crawford has no issues with facing a known puncher and boxed within range excellently. Gamboa's power is less effective this high up, he doesn't look quite as sharp as before and doesn't have the jaw to get into a fight.

Crawford UD but a stoppage wouldn't surprise me.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:32 am

After witnessing further the completeness of Ricky burns' decline last night. Anyone having any second thoughts on this?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:22 am

Mustn't forget Crawford beat Burns without getting out of 1st gear. I think Crawford can go on to be a p4p'er, he has the skills and is very evasive. Looking at him beside Gamboa there is a sizable height difference. Throw in the miles on the clock.........

I'm sticking with Crawford via UD. Dig the new breed!

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:49 am

Gamboa all the way. The who the hell is crawford anyway.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:46 am

Also worth throwing in ring rust as well strongy.

Gamboa is class but looked open against Perez, hasn't fought in a while as well as promotional problems.

Would be a perfect time for Terrance to add a nice big name to his resume.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:50 am

Wow, called that wrong!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down