The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Frampton the one that got away?

+4
Strongback
wheelchair1991
RanjitPatel
catchweight
8 posters

Go down

Is Frampton the one that got away? Empty Is Frampton the one that got away?

Post by catchweight Tue 05 Aug 2014, 9:29 pm

Hearn has done a pretty good job of hovering up most of the top talent domestically, a trend I cant see changing in the near future. However the most noteable and talented domestic fighter he doesn't have is Carl Frampton. This wasn't always the case and at one stage Frampton was affiliated with Matchroom. There was some sort of falling out. Hearn cited a conflict of interest with Framptons manager Barry McGuigan without going into specifics. Speculation was that McGuigan was too hands on for Hearns liking and when the ultimatum was laid down, Frampton remained loyal to the McGuigans.

Id consider Frampton one of Britains brightest boxers and Im hoping for big things off him. He has almost everything a promoter could want. Talent first off. A substantial and growing partisan fanbase, a fan friendly style, the always useful for cracking America Irish connection. Everything you need for shifting tickets and becoming a big player on the boxing scene. Except for maybe his tv deal situation. Hes on boxnation, rather than Sky. Therefore his audience is much reduced. Had he been on Sky, I think Frampton has the fundamental makings to be a star on both sides of the pond. At this stage he is also primed for making his move on the big stage. Will Hearn look at Frampton as the one that got away?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Is Frampton the one that got away? Empty Re: Is Frampton the one that got away?

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 05 Aug 2014, 9:44 pm

Its a shame that Sky have lost a fighter of that calibre. Hopefully leaving Hearn doesn't affect his career too much (still got a world title fight) due to not having the sky exposure.

Hearn's monopoly doesn't appear to have affected too many world class British boxers (as they're all with him). I wonder if there's any scope in the future for sky to sign individual fighters that haven't signed/won't stay with Hearn?
If they ever thought that a fighter was too good to lose and was about to leave Hearn like Joshua, if it ever happened, might be someone they'd break their self imposed rules to keep.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 05 Aug 2014, 9:47 pm

I think he is the one Hearn would want to get if he could but obviously cant happen for the reasons you have stated. For me one of the best boxers in Britain and has potential to be a genuine world champion and to mix it with the top names at super bantem maybe a weight above down the line

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 05 Aug 2014, 10:09 pm

McGuigan wanted to co-promote and to nip in the bud any promoter or boxer thinking Matchroom would share a fighter with anyone they made an example of Frampton and cut him loose.

Not surprising Hearn keeps having digs at Frampton for not doing good viewing figures on Sky. Eddie's getting boring on this at this stage.

He's a nice guy is Eddie as I am regularly informed.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 05 Aug 2014, 10:57 pm

Yep he's the one who got away for Eddie. I like frampton, have always rated him... He has everything you'd want as a promoter except I'd suggest much in the way of charisma... But maybe he's just not had the chance to show it.

Not being with matchroom has probably kept his profile down in britain but it won't hold him back.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 06 Aug 2014, 10:20 am

I think if he was on Sky he would have fought Quigg, with the winner likely getting the red carpet treatment. With Frampton (for me), the likely winner and with his large fan base in Ireland I'm sure Hearn would love to him in the MR stable.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 06 Aug 2014, 11:23 am

Boxnation is not the place to be for someone like Frampton. If he is going to stay domestically then he needs to get on Sky. Otherwise he needs to make the jump across the pond and get the networks over there interested in him. He doesnt want to get caught between two stools.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 06 Aug 2014, 11:37 am

On one hand, Eddie could be looking over and saying 'that's the next superstar and I should have kept my hand in'

On the other he could be saying that while counting his money from the countless other bits of talent he's got and the fact he's got the Sky deal wrapped up.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 06 Aug 2014, 11:59 am

catchweight wrote:He doesnt want to get caught between two stools.

That happened to me once. The smell was unbearable.

I think any promoter would love a fighter like Frampton in their stable, regardless of how big their operation is. But at the same time I don't think Hearn will be too upset about no having him under wraps for now. I mean, how much can Eddie want or expect, really? Within three years or so he's gone from being on the periphery to dominating the landscape of British boxing. Having Frampton back would be a boost but for Hearn that would just be the icing on what's already a pretty big cake. He's got enough fighters to tide him over for now and I doubt he'll be too worried about what Frampton's doing, unless they start calling out Quigg again.

There was a time when I'd have struggled to pick between Frampton and Quigg, in fact up until about mid 2012 I might have even leaned towards Quigg. But in the past couple of years Frampton has just gone to a completely new level and developed so much. If Frampton does what I think he will against Martinez again for the IBF belt I think he'll be getting offers from the Santa Cruzes and Rigondeauxs of this world, and Quigg will be left wishing that the fight had been made when it was first being talked up in 2011 / 2012.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down