The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BMW PGA Championship

+17
ryan86
navyblueshorts
plugster
raycastleunited
NedB-H
Doon the Water
Lairdy
EmmDee57
Davie
Redrage
sharrison01
super_realist
SmithersJones
LondonJonnyO
McLaren
kwinigolfer
Maverick
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

BMW PGA Championship Empty BMW PGA Championship

Post by Maverick Wed 25 May 2011, 6:48 am

Firstly great to see the return of Kwini to the scene with his US tour coverage this, lets hope this can live up to the standard he has set with another fanscinating read and informative article he always gives us.

Couple of quick opening points to set the scene for the European Tours flagship event.

- Monday saw many top name players, participate in a special charity day held in Seve's honour raising what is reported to be £618828 for his foundation.

-Last night (24th May) Heralded the ET's annual gala dinner event which all players that attended seemed to have enjoyed

- This year has also seen more changes to the 18th Green by a resident of Wentworth Ernie Els design team. Apparently it makes it more playable and a better chance of going for it in 2, according to both McIlroy and Westwood.

- Harrington has pulled out of the event citing Knee pain (heard that from someone else haven't we) but also struggling with a hamstring issue according to statement released by Padraig.

- This years event see's the first time the PGA has ever had all 4 current major champions in it field something never before seen.

Couple of good early groups to follow if your lucky enough to be going, with McDowell, Khan and Donald off at 8am, followed by Westwood, Goosen, Quiros who are immediately followed by Manassero, McIlroy and D Clarke.

A real 3 way shoot out this week for top spot in the OGWR too, which has many if's and buts to be looked and and on many cases for some a when! If Kaymer wins he goes to number 1, if Donald wins he goes top, but if neither win Lee stays top and for many they are just waiting for the day when Luke is No1. I think its coming his form always consistent and his class always apparent. He finished runner up last year with only his poor accuracy costing him down the stretch at 17, something he has worked on in the off season and come back far more accurate and it show.

So who's your pick to win this fantastic event at a club that has become home to the ET and this tournament since 1984, will westwood, Kaymer, Donald McDowell the current european big 4 be able to emulate the feats of the European greats of Old Monty, Olli, Seve, Sir Nick, Bernhard and Woosie in capturing the flagship event, or will some outsider do a Khan and pick up the check and a good exemption to the tour.

My money this week goeson Anders Hansen he is 45/1 to win and 10/1 for a top 5 finish. When you cosnider his form in this event in the last few years 2wins, a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th I'm thinking my money looks safe Erm

Maverick

Back to top Go down

BMW PGA Championship Empty Re: BMW PGA Championship

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 25 May 2011, 1:38 pm

Hi Maverick,
Snap! Also picked Hansen in the Fantasy game!
Looks like windy weather (with temps about 25F degrees different) both in London and Dallas this week.

Haven't seen any more specific comments from the players regarding the alterations to the 8th green complex and the 18th. Ernie's blog on pgatour.com suggests the pros will appreciate the changes but perhaps that wish is father to the thought?

Daunting company for Simon Khan . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 25 May 2011, 1:43 pm

Did last years balls up not alert the world to the fact ernie is not and never will be a course architect. When then has he been let loose again?

I am really not convinced of the strength of this field. It has reasonable top 10 and top 50 presence but after that it is a little thin. Some of the cat b and c guys have not featured for many a year never mind months.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 25 May 2011, 1:45 pm

Be a little more fair. Ernie said that it shouldn't be done... but the guy paying the bills insisted. He then backed down publicly and asked for it to be toned down a little.

I think it looked bloody awful when I was down there... but that it also needed something. It was a pretty easy finishing hole to be honest.

As for who will win. Khanny to go back to back!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 25 May 2011, 2:16 pm

Mac, isn't that the case with the USPGA as well?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 25 May 2011, 2:19 pm

Mac. It is a ET event not a WGC. You realise that right?

It will always extend invitations to the top ranked players. But also has to have entries from the ET players. It is one of their flagship events.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 May 2011, 2:47 pm

MAc, here we go again. Have you not seen the Els Club in Dubai? He's perfectly capable of good design, and the majority of changes he made at Wentworth are positive. Last years finish was the best in years.

It's also the flagship event on the ET and has a pretty stellar field. It's got all major holders, the entire Ryder Cup team and a big proportion of the top 50, what more do you want? If you look at any event it generally has a long tail. Most American tournaments are made up of journeymen we've never heard of in the lower reaches.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 25 May 2011, 2:54 pm

Just feel the event would benefit from a little more ROW participation, if it was in fact possible.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 25 May 2011, 2:55 pm

McLaren wrote:Just feel the event would benefit from a little more ROW participation, if it was in fact possible.

Would that not be to the detriment of the ET players? They don't get invites to the Players Champ at Sawgrass typically. They are different organisations remember.

And last time one of your 'also-rans' won the thing.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed 25 May 2011, 3:04 pm

You're right Mac. I suppose a few more RoW players would make this week more exciting. I wonder where we can find some South Africans, South Koreans, Australians and New Zealanders that might be available to play?

Maybe you think this because Vijay's not here representing Fiji?

This is the flagship European Tour event and would be worse for having a load of very average US Tour players coming over to steal some limelight. The European Tour is producing the best golf at the moment and there is nobody on the US Tour that would add to that excitement on a purely golfing level. Yes, its great for the crowds to have players like Mickelson and Woods but right now who really wants to watch them actually play golf?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 May 2011, 3:07 pm

If the ROW want to play in it then they should join the European Tour as that is who sanction the events.
Have a look at any PGA event and it's jam packed full of "septic's". Howver the same thing goes, if you want to see more ROW players then they have to join the tour.

Are you saying that the BMW at Wentworth isn't "diverse" enough?

ALso, Wentworth has a history of throwing up surprise winners, such as Scott Drummond, Andrew Oldcorn, Garrido, Howell and Simon Khan, so may be the field is stronger than you realise.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed 25 May 2011, 3:11 pm

My apologies, also forgot that India were being represented this week as well.

Plus the fact that Europe as a continent offers a diverse array of players from the various countries. We'll have the solid and steady Northern Europeans, the flamboyant Iberian's, the unpredictable French and Italians - the only thing missing is the ever predictable screams of "Get in hole" on the tees of the long par 5's...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 25 May 2011, 6:08 pm

Still think this is a great field, very international which speaks so well of the European Tour and its members.
Interesting comments by Chad Campbell about the increasingly long "of-season" on the PGA Tour, lengthening rather than reducing, and the fact that PGA Tour members can only gain points at that time by travelling abroad to play; he will consider it in the interest of gaining owgr points.

It's unrealistic for most PGA Tour members to play Wentworth at this time of the season, but too bad the overeas destination for US players is likely to be Asia, rather than Europe.

Mav,
I've now read appreciative comments by leading players about the Wentworth alterations; still no real ringing endorsements though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Wed 25 May 2011, 10:02 pm

I have a strong fancy for Ross Fisher to go well this week. We are on his home course and he has been showing signs of life recently. He seems to pick up a little form around this time of year too.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 26 May 2011, 9:35 am

They're off and running at Wentworth and so far the weather hasn't turned as nasty as was originally predicted (though it is quite gusty here in Bracknell, just up the road from Wentworth)

No big moves so far, some of the early starters seem to be struggling a tiny bit and a couple of nice starts but nothing outstanding either way yet.

A couple of +3s as the early starters reach the turn, Quiros started with two birdies but has settled down now and is -2 after 4.

Monty and DC also -2 early on ... Luke and GMac -1 after 5 - a host on level incuding Lee, Rors, Dyson, Khan and Howler

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 26 May 2011, 9:43 am

Nice live commentary of the BMW here for those stuck at work.

http://www.365mediagroup.net/SportingLife/Golf/Leaderboard_Popup/0,15867,930,00.html

Pretty imformative and you can ask the guy questions!!

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 26 May 2011, 9:52 am

Matteo and Monty gone to -3

Would be nice to see a return to form this week from Nick Dougherty (even if it only means we see more of DiDo on our screens)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 26 May 2011, 10:23 am

Luke at -3 and Monty gone to -4

Lee dropped a shot and MidgetMac down to +2

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 26 May 2011, 10:29 am

Luke to the turn in -4, he's surely got to be number 1 in the world soon, so consistent.

Really hope he wins the Open this year, it'd be fitting.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 26 May 2011, 10:52 am

Is McIlroy playing with Manassero? Could maybe learn a few things about putting from the youngster tbh.

Ross McGowan! Remember him? Close to qualifying for the Ryder Cup was he not?

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 May 2011, 10:59 am

DiDo looks like she has more fun making Titleist commercials than watching Nick Doc these days; snowman on the par 5 8th when he'd've been hoping for birdie.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 26 May 2011, 11:12 am

Seeing Monty and DC going along nicely in this stiff breeze makes me think that having a solid base is sometimes a good thing - Shane Lowry also -2 after 4, what do you make of that S_R?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 26 May 2011, 11:15 am

I noticed Lowry is doing well too, I can only imagine that his caddy has a bacon roll on a stick held out in front of him, it will never last though, he always fades away, not sure whether it's because he isn't good enough or whether he is tired out through carrying that galactic girth about.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 26 May 2011, 11:17 am

You know I sense a thin thread of self-loathing through SR's comments about poor Mr Lowry.

Anyone else think that SR could be a bit of a porker himself?

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 26 May 2011, 11:19 am

Nah I reckon s_r is more like Groundskeeper Willie off The Simpsons ... or is that Mac?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 26 May 2011, 11:19 am

Anyone seen the leaderboard at 11.18am

Donald is +42
Howell +55

I think there may be a clitch :huh:

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 26 May 2011, 11:22 am

Just spotted that! I was wondering where Luke had got to!

Oily Fisher is +70!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 26 May 2011, 11:23 am

Mac, I'm a lithe, sleek athlete and always have been. Hence my disdain for the disgustingly shaped Lowry.
If I was a gutlord I'd be more inclined to defend his lardiness.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 26 May 2011, 11:23 am

Ok
Lady Doon says think like a computer.

That would explain why Fisher is +70 after 17 holes.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 26 May 2011, 11:24 am

super_realist wrote:Mac, I'm a lithe, sleek athlete and always have been. Hence my disdain for the disgustingly shaped Lowry.
If I was a gutlord I'd be more inclined to defend his lardiness.

Mac?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 26 May 2011, 11:25 am

Someone's entering the numbers in the wrong place... the +55s and +70s are how many shots people have played so far. Ironic that it's the flagship event where the mess up the leaderboard though.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 26 May 2011, 11:26 am

Nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room yet?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 26 May 2011, 11:27 am

Doon the Water wrote:Nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room yet?
Monty? Or another weight-related Lowry comment?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 26 May 2011, 11:28 am

It's not messed up here

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2011/tournamentid=2011034/leaderboard/index.html?showLeaderboard=Y

And I see SR as your pretty typical Jamsie Cotter to Macs Rab C Nesbitt. Or possibly Gash.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 26 May 2011, 11:28 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:You know I sense a thin thread of self-loathing through SR's comments about poor Mr Lowry.

More a reformed porker. Probably Weight Watcher of the year 1999, hasn't had a tasty meal since.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 26 May 2011, 11:30 am

LJ, I'm on the good side of the country, not that buckfast ridden hellhole called Glasgow where all the bampots live.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 26 May 2011, 11:31 am

SmithersJones wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:You know I sense a thin thread of self-loathing through SR's comments about poor Mr Lowry.

More a reformed porker. Probably Weight Watcher of the year 1999, hasn't had a tasty meal since.

There is always the potential to slip. Bit of a gym rat gone wrong. Like that Globogym bloke from Dodgeball.

I see that Luke is powering through this to a very low number by the looks of things. Westwoods double has caused him to have a lower score. But I still see Westy hanging on to the top spot this week. Although Donald is likely to get there soon.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 26 May 2011, 11:35 am

I'll never be fat LJ, it's far too easy to take care of yourself, plus I have a thing called self respect. Wink

If you want to be slim there's no reason or excuses as why you can't be. (cue protestations from Mac).

Great to see a golfer whose game is based on technique rather than power flying high. Keep it going Luke.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 26 May 2011, 11:35 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:It's not messed up here

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2011/tournamentid=2011034/leaderboard/index.html?showLeaderboard=Y

LJ that's the one we mean. It went haywire for about 5 minutes but it's back to normal again now

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 26 May 2011, 11:39 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:

There is always the potential to slip. Bit of a gym rat gone wrong. Like that Globogym bloke from Dodgeball.

I see that Luke is powering through this to a very low number by the looks of things. Westwoods double has caused him to have a lower score. But I still see Westy hanging on to the top spot this week. Although Donald is likely to get there soon.

I've said it before - S_r is White Goodman! bloke from Dodgeball. "You made me bleed my own blood."

and I think s_r and Mac are from the other side of Scotland from Rab C and friends. Think more Renton, Begbie etc. Wink

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 26 May 2011, 11:47 am

Lairdy wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:

I've said it before - S_r is White Goodman! bloke from Dodgeball. "You made me bleed my own blood."

and I think s_r and Mac are from the other side of Scotland from Rab C and friends. Think more Renton, Begbie etc. Wink

Lairdy, are you suggesting the reason S_R is thin is because of his love for the Trainspotting choice of drug...... Shocked

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 26 May 2011, 11:50 am

I have thought for a while now that SR is either a porker or a reformed porker. He certainly has an odd obsession with weight issues.

Does anyone else think Donald should have won more during his incredible run of form, and that he will fall just short again this week? Especially thinking of the Heritage.

Only just started to watch a bit of coverage and keen to see what the 18th looks like now.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 26 May 2011, 11:53 am

I wonder why (apart from luke and monty) the scores are so poor this morning.

As I said earlier, it's a little gusty around here but really nothing THAT significant

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 26 May 2011, 11:54 am

Mac, As I said earlier, I'm in good shape and always have been, I'm merely sick of seeing so many people get overweight these days and not take responsibiliy for it.
I have no problem with people who are happy to be fat, but can't stand people who make excuses and blame other people/society etc. If you are fat it's because you consume more calories than you expend. Simple. Fat cannot be synthesised from fresh air.
I don't think there is any excuse for professional sportsmen to be fat either. If I had the talent, there's no way I'd let a lardy body get in the way of being as good as I could be, hence why Lowry makes me sick. Seems like a terrible waste (waist!!) of potential.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 26 May 2011, 11:56 am

Wow, loved how Manassero responded to McIlroys great shot to 14. McIlroy goes to about 12 feet then Matteo knocks it to gimmie range. Wouldn't betting that is a sign of things to come between these two guys.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 26 May 2011, 12:00 pm

Was going to put a deep sea diver on Mannassero, too late to get a decent price now. He certainly seems the real deal out of the young guns. Fowler looks like a chopper in comparison.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 26 May 2011, 12:03 pm

Mcilroy could not even touch the sides, lets hope that is not a common problem for the guy.

It is odd how badly he reads the greens sometimes. I guess it is an instinct thing but is there anything you can do to improve your ability to read greens?

Is it just me or is the course approaching firm?

Last edited by McLaren on Thu 26 May 2011, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 26 May 2011, 12:04 pm

Davie wrote:I wonder why (apart from luke and monty) the scores are so poor this morning.

As I said earlier, it's a little gusty around here but really nothing THAT significant

I take that back - I've just been outside for a nicotine fix and the wind has picked up and the rain has started Sad

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 26 May 2011, 12:06 pm

Luke approaching the closing par5s now. Looking at the scores from those already finished suggests that both offer birdie chances

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 26 May 2011, 12:20 pm

Davie wrote:Luke approaching the closing par5s now. Looking at the scores from those already finished suggests that both offer birdie chances

He's not waited that long, just rolled in a 20 footer on 16 to go -6. I think this will be the week he leaves that 'doesn't win enough' tag behind. And I think he'll contend at a 3 remaining majors this year and win at least one.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next