The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

+47
blackcanelion
funnyExiledScot
Tattie Scones RRN
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Geordie
Jenifer McLadyboy
Pat_Mustard
TheMildlyFranticLlama
SecretFly
RDW
IanBru
InjuredYetAgain
EST
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
EWT Spoons
MacKnocked-on
R!skysports
sensisball
Pete330v2
Weegie Wizard
Nematode
Argybargy
LeinsterFan4life
demosthenes
quinsforever
lostinwales
Captain_Sensible
tigertattie
Notch
CraigS1874
Dorothy_Mantooth
Majestic83
21st Century Schizoid Man
madmaccas
alive555
justified sinner
BigGee
reallybored
GLove39
cakeordeath
TJ
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
JonnyEdinburgh
VinceWLB
RuggerRadge2611
jimbopip
51 posters

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 21 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

Post by IanBru Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

First topic message reminder :

Banter through the ages:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 21 Laurel-and-hardy
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv

Well friends, the pre-season has come and gone, now things get real.

A. Edinburgh Rugby
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 21 Edinburgh-Festival-2011-Background1

1. Pre-Season

Edinburgh 10-11 Leicester Tigers
Edinburgh 21-15 Newcastle Falcons

2. Results
Munster 13-14 Edinburgh
Edinburgh 13-14 Connacht
Ospreys 62-13 Edinburgh
Edinburgh 20-20 Scarlets
Ulster 30-0 Edinburgh
Edinburgh 24-10 Newport Gwent Dragons
Bordeaux-Bègles 13-15 Edinburgh

3. Upcoming Fixtures

Friday 24 Oct 2014 - 19:45 (TBC)
Lyon   (H)   -   European Rugby Challenge Cup

B. Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 21 0

1. Pre-Season Results
Glasgow Warriors 23-24 Harlequins
London Scottish 19-38 Glasgow Warriors

2. Results
Glasgow Warriors 22-20 Leinster
Cardiff Blues 12-33 Glasgow Warriors
Newport Gwent Dragons 13-33 Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht
Benetton Treviso 23-40 Glasgow Warriors
Ulster 29-9 Glasgow Warriors

3. Upcoming Fixtures

Sat 18 Oct 2014 - 15:15 (Live on BT Sport 2)
Bath   (H)   -   European Rugby Champions Cup

Sat 25 Oct 2014 - 18:15 (Live on Sky Sports)
Montpellier Herault   (A)   -   European Rugby Champions Cup

Any and all discussion of things rugby-related is welcome. Restaurant recommendations are openly sought. Introductions to eligible young people would be fantastic. Bullying, jingoism, and wang-measuring is not on.

We need to move forwards not backwards, upwards not forwards, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

Last edited by IanBru on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:04 pm; edited 5 times in total
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 21 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

Post by RDW Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:20 am

Is there any easy way of finding out which Edinburgh players will be out of contract, other than searching for all the news articles announcing their signing?

I'm fairly sure Matt Scott and Visser are out of contract, and I'm hoping Strauss is...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 21 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

Post by madmaccas Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:27 am

Great list DM

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:Glasgow have alot of players out of contract at the end of the season, a number of whom are key players and who will no doubt attract offers from elsewhere.

Adam Ashe - Too inexperienced to be picked up by an English or French team. They only pick up well established Scottish forwards.
Henry Pyrgos - Big risk as English & French clubs have a long love affair with Scottish 9's - yet the starting spot at Glasgow will be his
Jon Welsh - 50/50, he's getting on and may fancy a bigger payday if his stock rises this season
Euan Murray - Can't see him carrying on after the World Cup
Sean Maitland - Would be surprised to see him go as he seems very much a part of the furniture and leadership group
Tommy Seymour - The Irish connection may kick in if they offer him big money. Still feel it's unlikely as he's just made the position his own
Peter Murchie - In all honesty I can't see him making the starting line up of too many other teams
DTH van der Merwe - My best bet to leave. He's not starting too much and isn't Scottish so could see him going after many years of service

Others are out of contract are.  

Jerry - Anyone's guess. Could stand to lose him but need a solid replacement
Dougie Hall - The only route I can see would be to Edinburgh but they're well stocked at 2
Al Kellock - Time to move into coaching methinks
Tom Ryder - Forgotten man but a move to an English club like Sale or Newcastle could help. French club would be ideal.
James Eddie - Mr impact sub may benefit from a move to give him regular starts.
Murray McConnell - Has to be kept as backup 9

I actually think the squad is in pretty good shape. Can't see us losing too many of those players, bar retirement, so the core is healthy. Gregor will need to do some very canny recruiting though because a few positions feel a bit light. Our front row seems to be the missing link and a top class openside would really help us against sides like Toulouse (where we cruelly exposed on the ground).

What's more interesting is the kind of players we think we can get?

Established All Blacks, Springboks and Wallabies will all be off to England, France and Japan - but fringe guys (like the oft mentioned Robinson and Hardie) could make the journey north. Edinburgh have enough SH players now so I imagine any new names will be offered to Glasgow first.

Any other NSQ targets we think Gregor can seriously lure?

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:41 am

I don't really mind Niko moving on if that means Welsh get another 2 years and Murray another one.

As for Ryder he has become an injury magnet recently (last one a neck injury) i will be very surprised if he gets a contract extension, although a great servant. Not sure about Kellock, will probably end up in the coaching staff.
So Glasgow probably needs another 2 locks.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:09 am

Here are some of the Super Rugby players who have been released from their contracts and are available now. Some dross but also a few interesting options, especially at prop.

BLUES

Liaki Moli - 24 - Back Row - 24 Super Caps
Kane Barrett - 24 - Lock/Back Row - 3 Super Caps

CHIEFS

Nick Barrett - 26 - Prop - 1 Super Cap - 2 Maori Caps
Nick Crosswell - 28 - Flanker - 31 Super Caps - 1 Maori Cap
Tawera Kerr-Barlow - 24 - Scrum Half - 56 Super Caps - 15 All Blacks Caps
Robbie Robinson - 25 - Fly Half/Fullback - 44 Super Caps - 5 Maori Caps

CRUSADERS

Daniel Lienert-Brown - 21 - Loosehead Prop - 2 Super Caps
Rob Thompson - 23 - Wing/Centre - 23 Super Caps

HIGHLANDERS

Matías Díaz - 21 - Tighthead - 8 Super Caps - 8 Argentina Caps
JP Koen - 31 - Prop - 3 Super Caps
Craig Millar - 24 - Loosehead Prop - 17 Super Caps
Aki Seiuli - 21 - Prop - 24 ITM Caps
Brayden Mitchell - 25 - Hooker - 12 Super Caps
TJ Ioane - 25 - Flanker - 18 Super Caps - 2 Samoan Caps
Frae Wilson - 25 - Scrumhalf - 3 Super Caps - 3 Maori Caps
Willie Ripia - 29 - Backrow - 37 Super Caps - 5 Maori Caps
Winston Stanley - 25 - Centre - 27 Super Caps - 1 Samoan Cap

HURRICANES

Eric Sione - 21 - Prop - 3 NZ U20 Caps

BULLS

Wiaan Liebenberg - 22 - Flanker - 35 Currie Caps - 1 Super Cap - Captained U20s

BRUMBIES

Stephan van der Walt - 23 - Centre

madmaccas

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:26 am

madmaccas wrote:Here are some of the Super Rugby players who have been released from their contracts and are available now. Some dross but also a few interesting options, especially at prop.

BLUES

Liaki Moli - 24 - Back Row - 24 Super Caps
Kane Barrett - 24 - Lock/Back Row - 3 Super Caps

CHIEFS

Nick Barrett - 26 - Prop - 1 Super Cap - 2 Maori Caps
Nick Crosswell - 28 - Flanker - 31 Super Caps - 1 Maori Cap
Tawera Kerr-Barlow - 24 - Scrum Half - 56 Super Caps - 15 All Blacks Caps
Robbie Robinson - 25 - Fly Half/Fullback - 44 Super Caps - 5 Maori Caps

CRUSADERS

Daniel Lienert-Brown - 21 - Loosehead Prop - 2 Super Caps
Rob Thompson - 23 - Wing/Centre - 23 Super Caps

HIGHLANDERS

Matías Díaz - 21 - Tighthead - 8 Super Caps - 8 Argentina Caps
JP Koen - 31 - Prop - 3 Super Caps
Craig Millar - 24 - Loosehead Prop - 17 Super Caps
Aki Seiuli - 21 - Prop - 24 ITM Caps
Brayden Mitchell - 25 - Hooker - 12 Super Caps
TJ Ioane - 25 - Flanker - 18 Super Caps - 2 Samoan Caps
Frae Wilson - 25 - Scrumhalf - 3 Super Caps - 3 Maori Caps
Willie Ripia - 29 - Backrow - 37 Super Caps - 5 Maori Caps
Winston Stanley - 25 - Centre - 27 Super Caps - 1 Samoan Cap

HURRICANES

Eric Sione - 21 - Prop - 3 NZ U20 Caps

BULLS

Wiaan Liebenberg - 22 - Flanker - 35 Currie Caps - 1 Super Cap - Captained U20s

BRUMBIES

Stephan van der Walt - 23 - Centre

A lot of them seem to have been released at a young age, which is a bit of a worry. We would need to be very sure about bringing in such a player. I prefer the good prospect approach, preferably SQ. They are not going to cost a lot and would be worth spending the time developing. Toolis at Edinburgh fits the mould and looks like he may well have something about him. he seems to have jumped on well ahead of his brother. That's why I don't really have any issues about having a look at the two coming on trail to Edinburgh just now. Its a low risk gamble, with the chance of uncovering a gem. I am sure that's what Toonie thought when he brought Niko over and look how that turned out.

I would have a look at Robbie Robinson though if he really has got himself fit again. His market value must have crashed and he might well fancy a move to Scotland.

Its all very intriguing. You can bet your life there is an awful lot of horse trading going on at the moment, with agents putting stuff out there. If you believe the Bath forum, Priestland arriving is a done deal, yet the Scarlets coach was on the BBC today hoping he would re sign, maybe on a DC. You can never really believe anything, especially this early in the season until it is officially announced.

Last edited by BigGee on Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:38 am

Right. Volunteers please to start Banter Volume VI: This Time It's Personal.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:55 am

BigGee wrote:

A lot of them seem to have been released at a young age, which is a bit of a worry. We would need to be very sure about bringing in such a player. I prefer the good prospect approach, preferably SQ. They are not going to cost a lot and would be worth spending the time developing. Toolis at Edinburgh fits the mould and looks like he may well have something about him. he seems to have jumped on well ahead of his brother. That's why I don't really have any issues about having a look at the two coming on trail to Edinburgh just now. Its a low risk gamble, with the chance of uncovering a gem. I am sure that's what Toonie thought when he brought Niko over and look how that turned out.

I would have a look at Robbie Robinson though if he really has got himself fit again. His market value must have crashed and he might well fancy a move to Scotland.

Its all very intriguing. You can bet your life there is an awful lot of horse trading going on at the moment, with agents putting stuff out there. If you believe the Bath forum, Priestland arriving is a done deal, yet the Scarlets coach was on the BBC today hoping he would re sign, maybe on a DC. You can never really believe anything, especially this early in the season until it is officially announced.

Can't argue with that. Using my unscientific method (which seems to hold true for the most part) Craig Millar sounds like he may have some blue blood in 'em. Has a fair amount of Super caps and at 24 should just be coming into his own. Doubt he'd cost the earth but as you said could always come over on a trial.

The other name that jump out is Tawera Kerr-Barlow, tied to NZ now but is very handy and is a much needed Scrum Half.

I also wouldn't say no to Rob Thompson, Willie Ripia or Winston Stanley.

madmaccas

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:00 am

George Carlin wrote:On an unrelated note, why do women (my wife in particular) make absolutely no sense and seem to operate to a constant double standard?

George; as a part time consultant to the pharmaceutical industry (see me, see yon Lemsips), and full time husband of 27 ish years please allow me to write a prescription for you.

[i]"Sorry, missus. Mah fault."[/i]

Repeat x 3 daily, or as required. The pain will soon diminish.

On another note, MadMata will be missed but he doesn't own the 9 jersey. Which got me thinking; if everyone is fit and available just who would be an automatic (as in no sensible arguments against) selection for Glasgow?
Ickle Jonnie
Rob Harley (best 6 in the club even considering Bluto)
Dancer
Alex Dunbar
angel
Tenesee Tam
Mr AP

I'm not including Bluto because there is a sensible argument that although he is better at being a destructive 8 both Wilson and Arthur Ashe run better lines and are more dynamic in the loose than him.
Is that a short list? I can't think of anyone , possibly DTH, that could argue to be on it.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:29 am

Nice and easy for Edinburgh:

12 - A Strauss

OK

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:39 am

It's a big six months for Murray McConnelll, he was only offered a one year deal, despite being in and around the squad for a few years. He's been injured a lot this season, but when he's be available toonie has only used him as a last resort.

A number of the deals will have already be signed for both teams, they just drip feed them to keep the clubs in the news cycle.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:25 pm

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21