The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

+47
blackcanelion
funnyExiledScot
Tattie Scones RRN
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Geordie
Jenifer McLadyboy
Pat_Mustard
TheMildlyFranticLlama
SecretFly
RDW
IanBru
InjuredYetAgain
EST
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
EWT Spoons
MacKnocked-on
R!skysports
sensisball
Pete330v2
Weegie Wizard
Nematode
Argybargy
LeinsterFan4life
demosthenes
quinsforever
lostinwales
Captain_Sensible
tigertattie
Notch
CraigS1874
Dorothy_Mantooth
Majestic83
21st Century Schizoid Man
madmaccas
alive555
justified sinner
BigGee
reallybored
GLove39
cakeordeath
TJ
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
JonnyEdinburgh
VinceWLB
RuggerRadge2611
jimbopip
51 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 11 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

Post by IanBru Wed 03 Sep 2014, 8:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Banter through the ages:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 11 Laurel-and-hardy
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv

Well friends, the pre-season has come and gone, now things get real.

A. Edinburgh Rugby
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 11 Edinburgh-Festival-2011-Background1

1. Pre-Season

Edinburgh 10-11 Leicester Tigers
Edinburgh 21-15 Newcastle Falcons

2. Results
Munster 13-14 Edinburgh
Edinburgh 13-14 Connacht
Ospreys 62-13 Edinburgh
Edinburgh 20-20 Scarlets
Ulster 30-0 Edinburgh
Edinburgh 24-10 Newport Gwent Dragons
Bordeaux-Bègles 13-15 Edinburgh

3. Upcoming Fixtures

Friday 24 Oct 2014 - 19:45 (TBC)
Lyon   (H)   -   European Rugby Challenge Cup

B. Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 11 0

1. Pre-Season Results
Glasgow Warriors 23-24 Harlequins
London Scottish 19-38 Glasgow Warriors

2. Results
Glasgow Warriors 22-20 Leinster
Cardiff Blues 12-33 Glasgow Warriors
Newport Gwent Dragons 13-33 Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht
Benetton Treviso 23-40 Glasgow Warriors
Ulster 29-9 Glasgow Warriors

3. Upcoming Fixtures

Sat 18 Oct 2014 - 15:15 (Live on BT Sport 2)
Bath   (H)   -   European Rugby Champions Cup

Sat 25 Oct 2014 - 18:15 (Live on Sky Sports)
Montpellier Herault   (A)   -   European Rugby Champions Cup

Any and all discussion of things rugby-related is welcome. Restaurant recommendations are openly sought. Introductions to eligible young people would be fantastic. Bullying, jingoism, and wang-measuring is not on.

We need to move forwards not backwards, upwards not forwards, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

Last edited by IanBru on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 2:04 am; edited 5 times in total
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

Post by George Carlin Thu 16 Oct 2014, 12:53 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Maybs thats the Welsh blood in me or something.

Shocked

You kept that quiet!
So Radge is in Slytherin House after all. picard
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues

Post by RDW Thu 16 Oct 2014, 12:57 pm

George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Maybs thats the Welsh blood in me or something.

Shocked

You kept that quiet!
So Radge is in Slytherin House after all. picard

Well to be fair, we did already know he was from fife!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 16 Oct 2014, 1:30 pm

Congratulations Radge, I believe that now makes you a "World Class" rugby player.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 16 Oct 2014, 1:51 pm

Welsh Father, thought this was common knowlege. Apparently not....
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 16 Oct 2014, 1:52 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Congratulations Radge, I believe that now makes you a "World Class" rugby player.

Sadly I can't play for Scotland since I represented Wales at U20 level....
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Thu 16 Oct 2014, 2:34 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Congratulations Radge, I believe that now makes you a "World Class" rugby player.

Sadly I can't play for Scotland since I represented Wales at U20 level....

But was it against a Tier 1 Nations, U20s team who are not nominated as that countries 2nd team? There is still hope king

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 16 Oct 2014, 2:55 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Welsh Father, thought this was common knowlege. Apparently not....

Radge, was this the sort of street sign you saw growing up?:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread V - The Fun Continues - Page 11 Radge10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 16 Oct 2014, 3:04 pm

I was born in Dunfermline. And grew up in Kirkcaldy...

That's why I'm so good at knife fights, fake IDs, downing bottles of Buckfast, eating deep fried Mars Bars and getting arrested.

Had I grown up in Wales I would have had a decent rugby team to support...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Thu 16 Oct 2014, 3:18 pm

George Carlin wrote:Centres is interesting for us now.

A - Scott 12 and Dunbar 13 should be our first choice pairing. Maddens me that they've never really had a good run together.

B - If one of those is injured, then in order of preference:

1. Bennett
2. Taylor
3. Fife
4. Hogg (making 15 Maitland 11 Visser 14 Seymour)
5. Horne
6. Lamont
35. Chris Paterson
36. Alan Jacobson
37. Uncle Dougie
38. Vernon
I think it depends on which one of Scott or Dunbar is injured.

If it's Scott then I'd be happy with Horne at 12 and Dunbar at 13.

But I don't think Scott is as good at 13, so would prefer one of Bennett, Taylor, Fife or possibly Hogg if Dunbar was injured.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 16 Oct 2014, 3:41 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I was born in Dunfermline. And grew up in Kirkcaldy...

That's why I'm so good at knife fights, fake IDs, downing bottles of Buckfast, eating deep fried Mars Bars and getting arrested.

Had I grown up in Wales I would have had a decent rugby team to support...

A Fifer and a halftaff!!!

By Barclays beard!!! The sheep round your way must lay awake at night with worry!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 16 Oct 2014, 9:43 pm

Sheep? I'm a Fifer not a teuchter! Its the Highlanders that love a bit of the sheep!

Glove is probably one for the Ewes...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 16 Oct 2014, 9:45 pm

On another note Laidlaw seems to have had a new lease of life after the left Edinburgh. Ross Ford will likely become Johnah Lomu-McCawCarter if he was to leave Edinburgh.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Thu 16 Oct 2014, 9:56 pm

Greeg played very well tonight, played quick and decisive rugby. Looks like the heads up style suits him, and his team, more than following a rigid game plan.Are you watching Solomons.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 Oct 2014, 10:03 pm

To be fair, brive were awful...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Fri 17 Oct 2014, 7:38 am

I understand and actually support the new qualification rules for the HC or whatever it is called but it annoys the hell out of me when the French sides plainly can't be added.
The biggest mistake for Laidlaw was moving him from 10 to 9 where he had time to think what he was going to do. He doesn't strike me as the sharpest knife and, by the time he had decided what he was going to do, all momentum had gone.
Remove that thinking time and you get a better player. Glass seem to have removed that time by playing a quicker game. That said, I wouldn't celebrate if Edinburgh signed him again tomorrow.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 17 Oct 2014, 11:33 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:To be fair, brive were awful...

So were the Dragons and yet Kennedy managed to look mince.

I think the 9 jersey is a straight call between Laidlaw and Cusiter, who both seem to be playing well in the Aviva. I'd probably start with Laidlaw and have Cusiter off the bench, but it's basically a 50/50 call for me.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Oct 2014, 5:23 pm

The title of this article in the Edinburgh evening news absolutely terrifies me

"Solomons happy to nurture talent, not expose it"

What the hell?!

Edinburgh Rugby head coach Alan Solomons is delighted with the progress being made by the young Scots in his extended squad, but he does not want to stunt their progress by throwing them into first-team action too quickly.

Some supporters have been keen to see the likes of Chris Dean, Jamie Ritchie, Jake Kerr, Magnus Bradbury and Alex Glashan given some exposure at a higher level especially with injuries to a number of more senior players.

Ahead of tonight’s European match at Bordeaux-Bggles, Solomons said: “You have to consider the development of the players. It is important that you develop them correctly and you slot them into the team at the appropriate moments.

“My big concern will always be for the player – you have to do the right thing by the young player and bringing them into the top team has to be managed very carefully.

“Yes, we have thrown in Rory Sutherland pretty quickly this year, but that has been through circumstances and he has had Ross Ford alongside him in the front-row which makes a massive difference.

“The rest of them I want to continue to get game time with their clubs and in the ‘A’ games and they will get their chances at the right time.”

Why get the young players actually playing rugby when they can just train all the time and stay in the gym??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 17 Oct 2014, 5:50 pm

Sutherland and Watson have been two of our standout performers, as was James Ritchie pre-season. It's experienced old hands like Ford and Strauss who have been skid mark awful!

What I will say is that whilst I would have wanted Chris Dean to play centre with Burleigh this season, Sam Beard has actually performed strongly. But still, I would hardly describe Solomons as "progressive" in terms of bringing through talent!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Oct 2014, 7:16 pm

Gray and SG playing for Castres tonight - worth a watch

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Fri 17 Oct 2014, 7:36 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Gray and SG playing for Castres tonight - worth a watch
That's my plan. Glos game was interesting yesterday to watch Laidlaw.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 18 Oct 2014, 2:51 pm

Tuned into the Sale game and Cusiter has had a bit of a disaster 5 minutes - box kick in his 22 that went vertically upwards, leading to a Munster penalty, then knocked on at a ruck after the restart.

Didn't see how he played when Sale were on top though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 18 Oct 2014, 9:49 pm

So two wins RedWine guinness clap clap clap Hug Yahoo

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 19 Oct 2014, 10:54 am

Just before it gets busy at work:
https://www.606v2.com/t56093-ercc-pool-4-round-2-montpellier-herault-v-glasgow-warriors

Before anyone asks, I know very well that Marion Cotillard doesn't have anything to do with Montpellier but I couldn't give a poop.

Any excuse, really. heart
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 20 Oct 2014, 9:33 am

What do you mean? She's French, and that's where Montpellier is.

I heard a rumour that Eva Green once said the word Lyon. Just an idea.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 21 Oct 2014, 11:25 am

The Baabaas have just announced Big Al Kellock as part of their squad to play Australia and Leicester Tigers!

I'm getting all emotional.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 21 Oct 2014, 5:33 pm

Hmm, Leicester is drivable from Sunny Essex. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 21 Oct 2014, 5:41 pm

That's a long way to drive to watch Al Kellock play. Personally I wouldn't drive the length of the Dean Bridge for that!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 21 Oct 2014, 9:44 pm

No you would rather go and watch Piers Francis, Phil Goodman, Can't Throw Won't Hook and a constantly changing but never ending stellar cast of southern hemisphere nonentities. Why would you want to watch a real rugby man.
As Jim Telfer said, "There are two types of rugby players: the honest ones and a' the rest" I know which category Al Kellock belongs in.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 22 Oct 2014, 6:01 am

IanBru wrote:The Baabaas have just announced Big Al Kellock as part of their squad to play Australia and Leicester Tigers!

I'm getting all emotional.
God, I hope he gets at least 15 minutes of ruck inspection in. What an amazing experience. You can't say he doesn't deserve it. Well, you could. But then you'd have to tell us how long you've been in Al Quaeda.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Oct 2014, 10:22 am

jimbopip wrote:No you would rather go and watch Piers Francis, Phil Goodman, Can't Throw Won't Hook and a constantly changing but never ending stellar cast of southern hemisphere nonentities. Why would you want to watch a real rugby man.
As Jim  Telfer said, "There are two types of rugby players: the honest ones and a' the rest"  I know which category Al Kellock belongs in.

It is indeed true that Al Kellock seems an honest man. Just a shame about the rugby.

Still, his legendary World Class leadership qualities, not seen since Churchill's "on the beaches" speech, will propel the Baa Baas into furious ruck inspection like never before. He's also probably the best lineout operator the Baa Baas have ever had since the last game when Matfield played (a player both honest and good at rugby).

Still, I do miss Jim Telfer. I presume he and Alan Solomons must get on well, discussing Victorian times and swapping new tactical ideas like the garryowen and the rolling maul.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 22 Oct 2014, 11:14 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
jimbopip wrote:No you would rather go and watch Piers Francis, Phil Goodman, Can't Throw Won't Hook and a constantly changing but never ending stellar cast of southern hemisphere nonentities. Why would you want to watch a real rugby man.
As Jim  Telfer said, "There are two types of rugby players: the honest ones and a' the rest"  I know which category Al Kellock belongs in.

It is indeed true that Al Kellock seems an honest man. Just a shame about the rugby.

Still, his legendary World Class leadership qualities, not seen since Churchill's "on the beaches" speech, will propel the Baa Baas into furious ruck inspection like never before. He's also probably the best lineout operator the Baa Baas have ever had since the last game when Matfield played (a player both honest and good at rugby).

Still, I do miss Jim Telfer. I presume he and Alan Solomons must get on well, discussing Victorian times and swapping new tactical ideas like the garryowen and the rolling maul.
When Telfer and Solomons started out the scoreboards were in Roman numerals, Moses was watching from the sidelines and the half time refreshment consisted of mead and roasted boar legs.

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 23 Oct 2014, 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Oct 2014, 2:41 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

When Telfer and Solomons started out the scoreboards were in Roman numerals, Moses was watching from the sidelines and the half time refreshment consisted of roasted boar legs.

This was crying out for an ASBO joke. Sad

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:38 am

ASBO was invited to Moses's naming ceremony
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 23 Oct 2014, 10:36 am

Damn - I see that Scotstoun isn't a venue on the world 7s circuit any more:
http://m.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/scotland-to-lose-rugby-sevens-venue-to-france-1-3579876

I can't really blame them, to be honest.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 23 Oct 2014, 11:14 am

George Carlin wrote:Damn - I see that Scotstoun isn't a venue on the world 7s circuit any more:
http://m.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/scotland-to-lose-rugby-sevens-venue-to-france-1-3579876

I can't really blame them, to be honest.

Really think it is time to really consider wrapping up the 7s

It has done nothing except leech funds away and provide almost nothing in re-turn

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 23 Oct 2014, 11:34 am

For those that missed the chat earlier in the week, it has been made known that the SRU have to invest very little in the 7s squad - if anything at all - as the funding comes from Sport Scotland.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 23 Oct 2014, 11:52 am

Sport Scotland should maybe look to fund other more inclusive sports

As a rugby fan - this pains me to say

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Thu 23 Oct 2014, 5:55 pm

Their remit must be "find a sport we are utterly pish at, make sure none of the protagonists dislike long flights in business class or 5 star hotels and make doubly sure that they don't mind only playing 2 games on a Sunday" and then look for as little return on your money

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Sat 25 Oct 2014, 9:47 pm

Right, I've been watching rugby all day with many guinness :and RedWine time to head home, but there's been an incident near the flat so I've got the bloody police helicopter overhead making a hell of a racket, so no sleep for a while then.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 25 Oct 2014, 10:45 pm

Shooting on Cockburn street apparently!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sun 26 Oct 2014, 11:12 pm

Just to throw it out there, Chris Auld played for LS against Connacht, only losing 27-30. Also, Lee Millar was on the bench which is disappointing.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 27 Oct 2014, 9:56 am

I see that Edinburgh have got an A team game today against a touring Canadian team.

These A games really are coming at the worst time - most of the A team players will need to play on Friday!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 27 Oct 2014, 10:06 am

The way things are going this A game will rule out another 3-4 players with injuries.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 27 Oct 2014, 10:17 am

So as far as I am aware our current injury / unavailability list is:

Dickinson - late injury calloff, unknown prognosis
Blaauw - long term
McInally - unknown return
Cochrane - unknown return
Turner - unknown return
Gilchrist - long term
McKenzie - unknown return
Atkins - unknown return
Toolis - on loan at London Irish
Coman - unknown return
Du Preez - long term
Ritchie - unknown return
Grant - long term
Watson - long term
Hart - should be back soon
Bezzy - unknown return
Burleigh - long term
Scott - back December
Beard - concussion, probably a few weeks
Strauss - late injury calloff, unknown prognosis
Tair - unknown return
Thompson - unknown return
Farndale - long term

That is a truly ridiculous injury list - the squad is listed as 58 on the website (although that still includes Nikki Walker, plus a load of random youngsters), there are 23 players currently injured. Of that 23, I'd say 13 were first team squad regulars.

This is really desperate!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 27 Oct 2014, 10:29 am

It's bad as well because Solomans, despite winning recently was coming under harsh criticism, this can be seen as an excuse for poor performance.

This should be seen as a golden oppertunity to bring in some youth.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 10:49 am

Some club player call ups may be required over the next few weeks?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 27 Oct 2014, 10:51 am

One things for sure the Edinburgh Murrayfield Spire hospital will have an awesome 1st XV.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 27 Oct 2014, 11:03 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:One things for sure the Edinburgh Murrayfield Spire hospital will have an awesome 1st XV.
Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 27 Oct 2014, 11:06 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:It's bad as well because Solomans, despite winning recently was coming under harsh criticism, this can be seen as an excuse for poor performance.

This should be seen as a golden oppertunity to bring in some youth.

Harsh criticism?

Given how we have been performing I think it was/is justified personally.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 11:08 am

Who's in this Edinburgh A team today?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next