The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Italian GP Thread - Contains Spoilers

+9
Good Golly I'm Olly
sportform
Trebs
mystiroakey
Gerry SA
Bull
dyrewolfe
GSC
Fernando
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Italian GP Thread - Contains Spoilers  - Page 3 Empty Italian GP Thread - Contains Spoilers

Post by Fernando Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:32 am

First topic message reminder :

Due to the unsavory nature of the last race thread this is a pre-warning that abuse will not be tolerated you will be put on the naughty step

Round 13 of the 2014 FIA Formula One World Championship moves the action to its traditional early September date at Monza, home of the Italian Grand Prix.

Monza is F1’s premier speed circuit, the last of its kind, a flat-out blast through parkland that sees cars, configured for low downforce, reach their highest velocities of the year. Its reputation as Formula One’s fastest track is likely to be enhanced this year. While 2014’s technical regulations have produced cars with less downforce than those of recent years, the corresponding decrease in drag may see cars hitting 360kph on the long straights.

But Monza isn’t simply about top speeds. Recent races have seen winners emerge from among the slowest through the speed traps, preferring a set-up that possesses sufficient downforce to carry speed through the circuit’s few corners and onto the long straights. Other requirements include a car that is stable under braking, rides kerbs well and has good traction out of the chicanes.

Racing on home ground, Pirelli brings its two hardest compounds to Monza. The fast Parabolica corner places high lateral energy demands on the tyre, while the stop-go nature of the chicanes means Monza also makes high longitudinal demands on the rubber. Even so, the presence of the Hard and Medium tyres combined with the long pitlane time makes this a good place to try a one-stop strategy.

Mercedes come into the race with a strong lead in the Constructors’ Championship, while Nico Rosberg has extended his margin over team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the Drivers’ Championship thanks to second place in Belgium. The German driver now has a 29-point lead over his English team-mate but Hamilton has two pole positions and a victory at Monza to his name and will be optimistic of closing the gap this weekend. It promises to be a spectacular event. prvw-flag-italy.jpg

CIRCUIT DATA

AUTODROMO NAZIONALE MONZA

Length of lap:
5.793km
Lap record
1:21.046
(Rubens Barrichello, Ferrari, 2004)
Start line/finish line offset
0.309km
Total number of race laps
Total race distance
306.720km
Pitlane speed limits
80km/h in practice, qualifying and the race

CIRCUIT NOTES

► To enhance safety, the inner half of the gravel trap at Parabolica has been replaced with an asphalt run-off.

DRS ZONES

► There will be two DRS zones in Italy. The detection point for the first zone will be 95m before Turn Seven, with the activation point 210m after Turn Seven. The second detection point will be 20m before Turn 11, with the activation point 115m after the finish line.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Italian GP Thread - Contains Spoilers  - Page 3 Empty Re: Italian GP Thread - Contains Spoilers

Post by dyrewolfe Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:06 pm

mystiroakey wrote:"Selection of driver default settings (other than in the case of a clearly identified problem with the car)."

this is one of the most commonly talked about issues between driver and pit team.

say something goes wrong with the cars system and they lose power or downforce- they have to go into a certain setting to deal with it- but the driver isnt aware of what is causing the problem. The pit team will however have a better idea with the data they have.

It happens most races- and the drivers usually finish.

mechanical failure for me(well the way i am interpreting it) could mean any mechanical failure within the seriously complex system of the car. which includes the below problem you pointed out. (I may be misinterpreting it). but my take on it is for things like that the drivers can be helped.

"Lewis Hamilton's start-line glitch at Monza (related to ERS settings) might well have ended his race, thus pretty much handing the title to Rosberg."

If you read the list more carefully, you'd see that particular line is under the WHAT IS NOT ALLOWED list.

Unless John got his lists wrong... Wink

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Italian GP Thread - Contains Spoilers  - Page 3 Empty Re: Italian GP Thread - Contains Spoilers

Post by GSC Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:08 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:"Selection of driver default settings (other than in the case of a clearly identified problem with the car)."

this is one of the most commonly talked about issues between driver and pit team.

say something goes wrong with the cars system and they lose power or downforce- they have to go into a certain setting to deal with it- but the driver isnt aware of what is causing the problem. The pit team will however have a better idea with the data they have.

mechanical failure for me(well the way i am interpreting it) could mean any mechanical failure within the seriously complex system of the car. which includes the below problem you pointed out. (I may be misinterpreting it). but my take on it is for things like that the drivers can be helped.

"Lewis Hamilton's start-line glitch at Monza (related to ERS settings) might well have ended his race, thus pretty much handing the title to Rosberg."

If you read the list more carefully, you'd see that particular line is under the WHAT IS NOT ALLOWED list.

Unless whoever posted it got the titles mixed up Wink

Yeah, it says you can't talk about driver setting unless theres a clear problem.  Wink
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:09 pm

My list is fine & bang on!  thumbsup

What's the actual punishment(s) for abusing the new radio communication rules though, or have I missed that part?

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:10 pm

I'd imagine a fine and a time penalty post race
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:13 pm

That's what annoys me, the FIA produce all this new ruling, go to extreme measures to get this enforced & yet fail to disclose the official rulings on punishments, that are clear & defined. Typical. I expect it will be like the racing incidents, completely & utterly inconsistent, no doubt.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:14 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:

Unless John got his lists wrong... Wink

I am reading it perfectly- concentrate on the exclusion to the rule- its in brackets..

(other than in the case of a clearly identified problem with the car)

does that mean any problem with the car?- like for instance Hamiltonians start problem .. Its ambiguous granted- but that was a clearly identified problem from where i am sitting!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:15 pm

picard Me stoopid... picard

Wonder if teams will start encouraging drivers to report "problems" so that changes can be made?

If they're going to be relying on telemetry data to back up decisions, I'd imagine the stewards / technical board would quickly be swamped. Think it could prove difficult to enforce (almost as much as the spending cap).

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:20 pm

Hopefully it means less telemetry data making its way to the drivers.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:23 pm

yep they would probally have to back up the fact that it was a mechanical problem with the telemetry data

But although I am interpreting it this way. I still think its ambiguous.

You may be right even though you have conceded. The exclusion isn't totally clear,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:31 pm

mystiroakey wrote:yep they would probally have to back up the fact that it was a mechanical problem with the telemetry data

But although I am interpreting it this way. I still think its ambiguous.

You may be right even though you have conceded. The exclusion isn't totally clear,

Agree there is still quite a large grey area.

Quite often it isn't clear what the problem is (at least not immediately). Drivers will report loss of power / brakes / DRS / gear change and the pit team will quite often need to take some time to figure out whats causing the problem.

So they'll know there is a problem, but not necessarily what it is (so much for "clearly defined").

As well as creating problems for drivers in genuine cases, I also think it could be open to abuse.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Isn't creating problems for drivers a good thing and kinda the point?

Relatively speaking, driving a F1 car has become too easy these days, its almost done by remote control in the pit lane.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:34 pm

GSC wrote:Isn't creating problems for drivers a good thing and kinda the point?

Relatively speaking, driving a F1 car has become too easy these days, its almost done by remote control in the pit lane.

Yes, Mr Ecclestone, anything you say, sir. Rolling Eyes

Rosberg missed the first corner at Monza twice and Hamilton messed up his qualifying at Spa because driving the cars is soooo easy these days... Wink

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:35 pm

I'll resist giving that retort the response it deserves under the first line of the OP.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:37 pm

Let's get a Singapore Thread up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3