The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership Round Three

+30
Hound of Harrow
sad_gimp
Rugby Fan
Cumbrian
Mad for Chelsea
thewaspsblog
kingelderfield
TJ
Heaf
doctor_grey
HammerofThunor
Scrumpy
BigTrevsbigmac
Bathman_in_London
formerly known as Sam
BATH_BTGOG
Dubbelyew L Overate
Bathite
yappysnap
HongKongCherry
SirBurger
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Sgt_Pooly
Jimpy
beshocked
Welly
ChequeredJersey
LondonTiger
Geordie
Ozzy3213
34 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Aviva Premiership Round Three Empty Aviva Premiership Round Three

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 16 Sep 2014, 8:07 am

So round two carried on pretty much were round one left of, with a couple of on-sided high scorers, and the rest of the games hard fought encounters with plenty for both partisan and neutral fans to enjoy.  On Friday night a ruthless Saracens outfit clinically put Harlequins away, leaving Conor O'Shea and co with much to do before this weeks fixtures rolls around.  First up on Saturday was the throwaround down at The Rec, where Bath ran in seven tries, and despite losing by over 20 points Welsh managed four of their own to pick up a try bonus point.  Gloucester showed the good and the bad of what they've got, all within 80 minutes.  Being well behind to a Danny Cipriani inspired Sale at half time they stormed back in the second half to earn themselves the win, with Steve Diamonds men doing enough to stay within seven points and score four tries to pick up two point son their travels.  Saturdays final game was even further down in the West country, where Exeter fought hard but ultimately fell short against a Tigers outfit, who whilst not yet quite at their best picked up their second win in the opening two rounds.  Sunday saw the biggest surprise of the round, where Wasps held free scoring Saints tryless in the first half before pouncing to score two tries in a minute themselves to pick up what could be a crucial win for them.  In the weekends final fixture London Irish travelled to Kingston Park and returned south with a win and four point from a hard fought encounter with Newcastle Falcons.

Prediction wise, I got 4 out of 6 again this week, although it wasn't my boys who let me down this time, it was the jokers from the The Stoop and the Sinners, although I would be amazed if many people had tipped Wasps to win that one.  Anyway, here's the table after round two;-

Pos Team P   W  D   L   F    PD   TF  TA  TBP LBP PTS 
Aviva Premiership Round Three 111.Saracens 22007328+4573109
Aviva Premiership Round Three 12. Bath Rugby 22008246+3696109
Aviva Premiership Round Three 43. Leicester Tigers 22006037+2364109
Aviva Premiership Round Three 484.Exeter Chiefs21017224+4892116
Aviva Premiership Round Three 95. Northampton Saints   21016926+4392116
Aviva Premiership Round Three 66.Wasps21014850-255015
Aviva Premiership Round Three 57.London Irish21013538-325015
Aviva Premiership Round Three 78.Harlequins21012054-3423004
Aviva Premiership Round Three 29.Gloucester21014080-40312004
Aviva Premiership Round Three 1210.Sale Sharks20024763-1665112
Aviva Premiership Round Three 811.Newcastle Falcons20023556-2156011
Aviva Premiership Round Three 5012.London Welsh200226105 -79 414101

So on to this weeks fixtures, and here they are:

Friday 19th September 2014   19:45   Gloucester vs. Exeter Chiefs

An interesting and tough to call game first up this weekend.  Gloucester will be buoyed by their win over Sale and at home again this week will want to put in a performance that matches their second half one last week.  The Chiefs, although beaten, were well in the game against Tigers and I think will go to Kingsholm confident of getting a result.  Both teams are likely to finish in that middle of the table group from around 6th to 10th, so points earned from this sort of game will be key to deciding the finishing order.  Kingsholm is always a tough place to go though and I can see Gloucester squeaking home again in this one, with the Chiefs picking up another losing bonus point.

Saturday 20th September 2014   14:00   Sale Sharks vs. London Welsh

The last time Welsh were in the Premiership, they lost their first two games and went to Sale Sharks in round three and promptly picked up their first win of the campaign.  Both of these sides are winless so far this season, and will be desperate to get of the mark in this fixture.  Welsh will need to tighten up in defence considerably if they are to get anything, having conceded 14 tries and over 100 points already.  Sale showed against Gloucester that they have not become a bad side overnight, and if Danny Cipriani performs as he did last week they will have too much for Welsh this time around.  I've got this down as five points for Sale and Welsh heading home with nothing.

Saturday 20th September 2014   15:00   Harlequins vs. Wasps

Quins would say they have genuine ambitions to finish in the top 4 this season, and having played two of last seasons top 4 so far this term and not been outclassed, Wasps have to be aiming to break into that group as well.  If they're going to, this is precisely the sort of game they need to win, and potentially stop their rivals from picking up any points against them.  Quins will have a point to prove though, and will be wounded by what happened on Friday night.  Their attacking game needs to click, as Wasps will score points against them and they will need to ensure that they aren't leaving three pointers out there as they have been.  This I think will be a real ding dong affair with the lead changing hands a couple of times, but I'm backing Quins to bounce back and pinch it, with Wasps picking up a losing bonus point.

Saturday 20th September 2014   15:00   London Irish vs. Saracens

On paper this is a comfortable away win.  Saracens haven't hit top gear yet, despite what the scoreline against Quins may suggest, and are two from two.  Irish won ugly on Sunday, and will take some confidence from getting off the mark with that win.  To stand any chance in this one Irish will need to counter the driving maul better than they did on Sunday, and will need the scrum to go well as it has done in their two games so far.  Irish have won 2 of the last 3 fixtures between the sides, so will take confidence from that.  As you can probably tell I am searching for crumbs of comfort here, but the reality is that the head says Saracens comfortably, the heart says we'll dig one out again and sneak the win.

Saturday 20th September 2014   15:15   Bath Rugby vs. Leicester Tigers

Two of the three teams with 100% records go head to head in Saturdays televised fixture.  Both have genuine title ambitions, and both will want to lay down a marker here in their first big test of the season.  Bath will need to be tighter defensively than they were against Welsh, although it's hard to imagine that they won't be as it looked like they just switched off with the game already won.  Tigers haven't hit top gear yet, and will be looking to go up a notch in this one, but are missing a few key guys in the pack, which is where the strength of this Bath team is.  This will be a right old battle, and I'm tipping Bath top hold their nerve at home and come through for the win.  Losing bonus point for the Tigers.

Sunday 21st September 2014   14:00   Newcastle Falcons vs. Northampton Saints

As with last week the round winds up at Kingston Park.  Falcons could have done with an easier game here, but instead face a wounded Northampton saints who you suspect will have a point to prove this weekend.  It's one of those games though, where Newcastle have nothing to lose, as there is no weight of expectation on them to get anything here and they could well throw the shackles of and spring a surprise.  They will need to get their team selection right though, and tactics, and I still have a question mark over Dean Richards and whether his tactics and selection are what is holding them back.  I want to be brave and go with the upset here, but I also want to be right, so am going with the odds and predicting a try bonus point win for Saints.

Ozzy's predicited table after round three:

Saracens 14, Bath Rugby 13, Northampton Saints 11, Leicester Tigers 10, Harlequins 8, Gloucester 8, Exeter Chiefs 7, Sale Sharks 7, Wasps 6, London Irish 5, Newcastle Falcons 1, London Welsh 1.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership Round Three Empty Re: Aviva Premiership Round Three

Post by Geordie Tue 16 Sep 2014, 8:54 am

Re The Falcons
They will need to get their team selection right though, and tactics, and I still have a question mark over Dean Richards and whether his tactics and selection are what is holding them back.

I agree 100%. Since he joined his rotation and selection policy has just been bizare to say the least. I understand rotation but surely you need some kind of consistant team selection to build some form of familiarity. Changing the team constantly every game is huge issue with me and is partially halting our progression.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 16 Sep 2014, 9:16 am

You have to have some consistency of selection GF, players need to feel they are going to get a run in the side if they perform well.  For me, from Saturday you need to replace the props, start Barrow at lock and move Furno to 6.  You also need to start Tuilagi instead of Cato, and then give that team a run of the next four games (barring injury) to see what they can do.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 16 Sep 2014, 9:50 am

Ozzy, me you and the falcons on the unoffy site are saying that...the problem is Dean Richards seems blind to it.

For Example...it appears Brookes is perfectly fit (he was very impressive in last nights A game by all accounts)...so why didnt he play against you guys on Sunday?
Why did Dean pick a slow, ponderous average TH? Scot Wilson is young but hes way better than Tomaschyk...and offers SO much more in the loose.

Ditto Barrow. Why play him on the bench?

Hoggs position is now at risk or certainly should be.

I can go on....but ill stop there Smile

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 16 Sep 2014, 9:57 am

You have two tough fixtures, Saints (h) then Wasps (a) before two very winnable games Chiefs (h) and Welsh (a).  Those to games against Exeter and Welsh could define your season, this weeks game will not.  What Deano needs to do is decide on the nucleus of the team that can beat Exeter and Welsh and stick that out for all four games.  Use these two games against Saints and Wasps to just throw everything out there and get the players playing to a system together in the hope that they will have that cohesion as a unit in two weeks time.  If you get something from these two games then great, if not, at least you've given yourselves a chance when the Exeter and Welsh games come round.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 16 Sep 2014, 10:10 am

The problem is he wont do that. He'll put out different sides in every game.

I cant see us beating exeter...but we simply MUST beat Welsh. If we dont get anything out of that game...we're in trouble and ill be questioning Deans position.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 16 Sep 2014, 10:39 am

Gloucester to beat Exeter in an entertaining match.
Sharks to thrash Welsh
Quins to sneak past Wasps
Sarries to struggle a little for fluency but win easily at the Madj.
Falcons to get utterly humped by an angry Saints.

Good news for Falcons fans - so far this season I am 100% for Friday/Saturday matches but 0% for sunday games.

Oh and the one I forgot:

Bath will dominate Tigers in the scrum, but tigers with Croft back to be supreme at the lineout and better at the breakdown. If tigers can avoid yellow cards for scrum offences then I believe they will win.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 16 Sep 2014, 11:07 am

I expect a huge huge performance after last week. To be fair the defence was actually not bad at all, nor the breakdown, it was our decision making and inability to handle that were awful
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 16 Sep 2014, 11:25 am

Bath should win this game.

Wonder if Brungara will get more game time this week as the scrum looked better with him at LH and Mulipola at TH but it's a big ask for his second AP game.

Croft, Parling and Kitchener should dominate the lineout, so hopefully that will null Fords game line kicking and also if Burns/Williams can put some touch finders through and keep bath in there 22 we should be able to force something.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 16 Sep 2014, 11:33 am

We need to start the game a lot better this week,  In both games so far we have started woefully and only really woken up at half time.  If that happens against Saracens we will likely be well out of the game long before the 40 minute mark rolls around.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 16 Sep 2014, 11:41 am

Some stats covering the opening two rounds http://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/33065.php#.VBgTfNK-pH4
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 16 Sep 2014, 11:52 am

Nice to see Fraser and George doing well in the tackling stats. Not too surprising when watching the Quins game though.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 16 Sep 2014, 11:56 am

Likewise Cowan for us, who I believe made 20 tackles against Falcons on Sunday.  Next highest on our side were Paice and Skivs who both made 13.

What sort of side do you reckon we'll see from Saracens this week beshocked?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 16 Sep 2014, 1:47 pm

Welly wrote: Wonder if Brungara will get more game time this week as the scrum looked better with him at LH and Mulipola at TH but it's a big ask for his second AP game.

I actually thought that Baxter removing the starting props on 50 minutes made the difference. Not sure how many scrums there were in the last 7 minutes when Brugnara was on - but they will also have co-incided with Ewers YC

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 16 Sep 2014, 2:00 pm

I think it will be tough for Tigers to get the 4 points at the Rec, but if Phil Blake can address some of the defensive issues this week then a battling display could see Tigers sneak it- especially with only Miles Benjamin missing from a first-choice backline (my first choice backline!). A lot depends on Balmain and Logo, if they can match Wilson and James then I would make Tigers favourites, given that Kitchener, Parling and Gibson/Croft should be able to win the lineout “battle” and that Tigers should have the better of the back-rows. Burns against Ford will be interesting, but I reckon Ford has been flattered by his opposition in the first two games, Burns to edge it - and Williams may yet be fit.

The Rec holds no fear for Tigers and so them to win by 3.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 17 Sep 2014, 9:40 am

I'd be extremely happy if we get any points from the Saints game. We're in for a hiding but I have a little feeling it'll be close. Saints by 6.

Gloucester to sneak a win against Exeter by 3

Sale to best Welsh by at least 15

Wasps to best Quins by 5

Saracens to beat Irish by 10

Bath to beat Tigers by 5

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 17 Sep 2014, 10:06 am

Here's our round three performance for the past 17 seasons...

13/14 - (h) Exeter Chiefs L 23-29
12/13 - (a) London Wasps L 14-43
11/12 - (a) Northampton Saints W 14-13
10/11 - (h) Gloucester W 23-16
09/10 - (a) Leeds Carnegie W 56-7
08/09 - (h) Bath Rugby L 16-20
07/08 - (a) Bristol Rugby L 11-14
06/07 - (a) Newcastle Falcons W 26-21
05/06 - (a) Sale Sharks L 3-29
04/05 - (h) Leicester Tigers L 22-39
03/04 - (a) Harlequins L 10-15
02/03 - (h) Saracens W 32-10
01/02 - (a) Bristol Shoguns D 19-19
00/01 - (h) Saracens W 27-22
99/00 - (a) Bedford Blues W 27-8
98/99 - (h) London Wasps L 24-36
97/98 - (a) Gloucester L 7-29

P 17 W 7 D 1 L 9 F 354 A 341

Not brilliant, but we are 100% in games against GloboGym in round 3.  Would be nice to keep that record going this weekend!!!

Leprechaun Leprechaun Leprechaun COME ON YOU IRISH!!! Leprechaun Leprechaun Leprechaun
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 17 Sep 2014, 10:08 am

That they're more than 10 years ago is clearly irrelevant, Pete!! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 17 Sep 2014, 10:09 am

That's clutching at the extreme

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 17 Sep 2014, 10:14 am

Ok, how about the fact that we've beaten them in twice in the last 3 meetings! Very Happy;)
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 17 Sep 2014, 10:33 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Ok, how about the fact that we've beaten them in twice in the last 3 meetings! Very Happy;)
I'm sticking a tenner on ye Cool

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Sep 2014, 11:10 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I'd be extremely happy if we get any points from the Saints game. We're in for a hiding but I have a little feeling it'll be close. Saints by 26.

Wasps to best Quins by 5

Bath to beat Tigers by 5

1. Fixed it for you. How the hell can you say that you're in for a hiding then say that it'll be close (Saints by 6)? Is this going to be a similar scenario to Falcons v Irish, where Falcons were obviously the better team, but lost...  picard

2. That's just wishful thinking. You were wrong last week, I suspect you might be this coming week. But we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by Jimpy on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 17 Sep 2014, 12:21 pm

Aviva Premiership Round Three 1347041234
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Sep 2014, 12:26 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Aviva Premiership Round Three 1347041234

I'm expecting a big yawn any time soon....

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Sep 2014, 12:27 pm

Wahey Jimpys back.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Sep 2014, 12:29 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Wahey Jimpys back.

Just questioning some blatant contradictions...

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Sep 2014, 12:32 pm

Oh im not getting involved...ive been very balanced and honest over the whole episode.

Just odd you commenting on something to do with the falcons.... Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Sep 2014, 12:34 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Oh im not getting involved...ive been very balanced and honest over the whole episode.

Just odd you commenting on something to do with the falcons.... Wink

Ah, I know, but inevitable....

What do you reckon a realistic score will be Geordie?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Sep 2014, 12:39 pm

I think it could be 40 points difference to be honest.

The problem is Its difficult to decide when i dont know which side Dean will put out. If he puts the full strength side - the best players then it could be closer than many think.....however Im just not convinced the team he will play will have a big and powerful enough pack (and scrum) or enough directness in the backs.

If we started this team...i think it would probably still be a loss but not so heavy.

1 Fry (Unless Vickers is fit)
2 Lawson (id personally prefer McGuigan but his throwing is still not good enough)
3 Brookes
4 Barrow
5 Green
6 Furno
7 M.Wilson
8 Mayhew

9 Blair
10 Socino

11 Alex Tuilagi
12 Andy Tuilagi (helleur on the bench)
13 Adam Powell
14 Sinoti
15 Hammersley

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Wed 17 Sep 2014, 12:57 pm

There's nothing worse as a fan than Friday midday coming around and being baffled by the DOR's selections. We had it all the time with Toby Booth and it now seems like Newcastle are having it with Dean Richards. As an outsider, it is clear to me that there are some very good players being left out of the starting XV and some very poor ones being included.

For all of Brian Smith's supposed flaws, he gets selection right 99% of the time. For that reason I find it much easier to get behind him and accept his post match reviews than I did when Booth was at the helm.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Sep 2014, 1:01 pm

Burger

I would have no complaints if he picked the strongest side regularly...it builds familiarity et...but why for example pick Tomastshyk at TH when the guy offers ZERO about the park (he walks from ruck to ruck) and is not exactly a raging beast at scrum time either...when you have Keiron Brookes and Scott Wilson at your club?????!!

Likewise why start Dom Barrow on the bench v Irish?

Its just baffling and infuriating.

The team above would probably have reversed the result on Sunday. And its these points that keep you away from that relegation battle or trap door.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 17 Sep 2014, 1:03 pm

Jimpy wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:I'd be extremely happy if we get any points from the Saints game. We're in for a hiding but I have a little feeling it'll be close. Saints by 26.

Wasps to best Quins by 5

Bath to beat Tigers by 5

1. Fixed it for you. How the hell can you say that you're in for a hiding then say that it'll be close (Saints by 6)? Is this going to be a similar scenario to Falcons v Irish, where Falcons were obviously the better team, but lost...  picard

2. That's just wishful thinking. You were wrong last week, I suspect you might be this coming week. But we'll have to wait and see.

Here we go again.

Everything points towards us getting a hiding but I have a gut feeling we'll run them close, nothing wrong with that. On paper and recent results would suggest a 15/20pt Saints win but I'm a Falcons fan and optimistic so going Saints by 6.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 17 Sep 2014, 1:11 pm

SirBurger wrote:There's nothing worse as a fan than Friday midday coming around and being baffled by the DOR's selections. We had it all the time with Toby Booth and it now seems like Newcastle are having it with Dean Richards. As an outsider, it is clear to me that there are some very good players being left out of the starting XV and some very poor ones being included.

For all of Brian Smith's supposed flaws, he gets selection right 99% of the time. For that reason I find it much easier to get behind him and accept his post match reviews than I did when Booth was at the helm.

I agree re the frustrations. Nigel Davies would rotate for the sake of it last season, especially at scrum half and there just wouldn't be any chance for continuity to build between the various partnerships. Dean Richards does seem to do this on a pretty regular basis, has he ever been questioned as to the reasons behind this?
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Sep 2014, 1:25 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Wasps to best Quins by 5

Bath to beat Tigers by 5

Here we go again.

Everything points towards us getting a hiding but I have a gut feeling we'll run them close, nothing wrong with that. On paper and recent results would suggest a 15/20pt Saints win but I'm a Falcons fan and optimistic so going Saints by 6.

No, that's fair enough.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Sep 2014, 2:01 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:
SirBurger wrote:There's nothing worse as a fan than Friday midday coming around and being baffled by the DOR's selections. We had it all the time with Toby Booth and it now seems like Newcastle are having it with Dean Richards. As an outsider, it is clear to me that there are some very good players being left out of the starting XV and some very poor ones being included.

I agree re the frustrations.  Nigel Davies would rotate for the sake of it last season, especially at scrum half and there just wouldn't be any chance for continuity to build between the various partnerships.  Dean Richards does seem to do this on a pretty regular basis, has he ever been questioned as to the reasons behind this?

I dont think so HK

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 17 Sep 2014, 4:36 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Likewise Cowan for us, who I believe made 20 tackles against Falcons on Sunday.  Next highest on our side were Paice and Skivs who both made 13.

What sort of side do you reckon we'll see from Saracens this week beshocked?

Not sure about the team. Some rotation will happen at some point.

Could see Hamilton and Farrell starting for example.

Saracens generally don't perform very well against London Irish for whatever reason. Though it's also because London Irish decide to play out of their skins.

17 wins apiece in the Saracens vs LI matches.

Fourth toughest Saracens opponent historically after Leicester,Gloucester and Wasps -
http://www.premiershiprugby.com/matchcentre/fixtures/saracens.php?section=4

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 17 Sep 2014, 8:31 pm

Certainly last year we raised our game against yourselves, Tigers and Saints, producing decent performances in 5 out the 6 games against those 3 sides.

Whatever side you put out will be strong and you'll be favourites. It's one of those games where due to our recent performances against you (away from Twickenham) my heart says we can do it again and get the win. In truth I'll be happy if we can stop you from getting 5 points and pick up a losing bonus ourselves. Anything more than that and I will be ecstatic!!!
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 18 Sep 2014, 8:11 am

Worried about this weekends game. Very very worried.

It's not so much Wasps that I fear but more just how terrible our players were on Friday, stupid decision making, terrible crap passing that I normally see in local club games, a total lack of conviction in the forwards and how do we decide to play when all this is obvious?

Throw it wide at every opportunity and hope for the best, because you know, if we do it enough the opposition may let us score right?

Not to mention having 1 place kicker who seems to have forgotten how to kick...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 18 Sep 2014, 8:48 am

A real test of the Chiefs' conditioning team, with just a 5-day turnaround. Fingers crossed

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 18 Sep 2014, 10:36 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:A real test of the Chiefs' conditioning team, with just a 5-day turnaround.  Fingers crossed

Chief

5 day?

Chiefs and Glaws both have a 6 day turn around surely?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 18 Sep 2014, 11:20 am

LondonTiger wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:A real test of the Chiefs' conditioning team, with just a 5-day turnaround.  Fingers crossed

Chief

5 day?

Chiefs and Glaws both have a 6 day turn around surely?
Apologies, I had in mind our Tiggers game was on Sunday

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 18 Sep 2014, 12:12 pm

As you making excuses already asbo?! Wink

Glaws' team has been announced.  A few changes due to injuries or players not being fully fit.  Afoa slightly tweaked his ankle against Sale, hence why he's on the bench, but also Puafisi looked very good when he came on last week.  Likewise, Kvesic is appearing in his first game of the season but Moriarty put in a very strong performance when replacing Rowan early on last week.  I'm hopefuly the usual Friday night atmosphere spurs us on in what will be a very tough test.

GLAWS
Rob Cook; Charlie Sharples, Henry Purdy, Billy Twelvetrees (capt), Jonny May; James Hook, Greig Laidlaw; Dan Murphy, Richard Hibbard, Sila Puafisi; Tom Savage, Tom Palmer; Sione Kalamafoni, Ross Moriarty, Ben Morgan

Replacements:
Aleki Lutui, Yann Thomas, John Afoa, Elliott Stooke, Matt Kvesic, Dan Robson, Mark Atkinson, Bill Meakes
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 18 Sep 2014, 1:00 pm

Glos do have some cracking young back rowers in their squad now...
Rowan, Kvesic, Moriarty, Morgan etc....

The second row dosnt look as strong however....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 18 Sep 2014, 1:11 pm

Some big injuries there HKC? Who is Purdy? Not better to have May at 13 and someone else on the wing?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 18 Sep 2014, 1:21 pm

I don't think there is anything too major Bathite. Afoa wouldn't be risked if anything was too bad, otherwise Shaun Kinight would be on the bench. Kvesic had a full pre-season but picked up a toe injury in the final friendly. Unfortunately Jacob Rowan's injury did look bad. I'd imagine Moriarty is starting over Kvesic purely as a nod to how well he played against Sale. Trinder left with 5 mins to go against Sale with blood streaming from his head and holding his shoulder, but it isn't meant to be serious.

Purdy is the U20 winger we signed from Tigers. He played well in pre-season and in the A game against Saints last week he swapped to OC and actually looked really good. With Atkinson and Isaacs in the squad he has done well to get the nod over them. Nevertheless, many supporters had expected to see May at 13 and Monahan on the wing.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Thu 18 Sep 2014, 1:29 pm

Purdy will know his centre opponents (and Nowell) well from U20's, might give him an edge.

Exe team

15 Chrysander Botha
14 Ian Whitten
13 Henry Slade
12 Sam Hill
11 Matt Jess
10 Gareth Steenson
9 Haydn Thomas
1 Ben Moon
2 Jack Yeandle (capt)
3 Tomas Francis
4 Mitch Lees
5 Damian Welch
6 Dave Ewers
7 Ben White
8 Thomas Waldrom

16 Elvis Taione
17 Carl Rimmer
18 Moray Low
19 Ryan Caldwell
20 Kai Horstmann
21 Will Chudley
22 Phil Dollman
23 Jack Nowell

Rimmer and Moon swap places at LH, as do Welch and Caldwell at lock. Dollman and Nowell come onto the bench after injury, with Sweeney and Arnott making way.

Nowell played 35 minutes of Monday's A game (his first game since March) and looked in good nick. It'll be interesting to see him up against May and Sharples in the second half (and Cook, his erstwhile team-mate at Pirates).

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Thu 18 Sep 2014, 3:43 pm

Tigers by a few, Ford has had two good games with the boot so his going to have an off day at some point.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 18 Sep 2014, 3:58 pm

yappysnap wrote:Worried about this weekends game. Very very worried.

It's not so much Wasps that I fear but more just how terrible our players were on Friday, stupid decision making, terrible crap passing that I normally see in local club games, a total lack of conviction in the forwards and how do we decide to play when all this is obvious?

Throw it wide at every opportunity and hope for the best, because you know, if we do it enough the opposition may let us score right?

Not to mention having 1 place kicker who seems to have forgotten how to kick...

You were made to look terrible by one of the best sides in the league. It happens on occasion. Saracens gameplan is designed to make the opposition look rubbish - great line speed in defence, excellent tactical kicking and pressure game helps force errors.It's their job to make opposition sides uncomfortable.

I would say Quins' failing was the inability to adapt their game in account of the opposition - Saracens did nothing different to how they have played Quins before - why change a winning formula? When you allow a team to play to their tempo and gameplan you've not got much hope.

Just write it off as a bad day at the office against one of the sides you psychologically struggle with and move on.

Wasps have started well but Quins shouldn't have the psychological baggage against Wasps.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 18 Sep 2014, 6:54 pm

Purdy never really seemed to have the speed nor instinct needed for a winger. OC suits him more.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 18 Sep 2014, 7:59 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Purdy never really seemed to have the speed nor instinct needed for a winger. OC suits him more.

It'll be useful to see him play a proper competitive game, but in the preseason and A games he's looked excellent and scored a good number of tries. If you watch the game tomorrow it'll be good to get your take on his speed now as my opinion is that he's pretty swift. Perhaps its Marlon Devonish's influence?
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next