The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Betting

+5
88Chris05
Mind the windows Tino.
HumanWindmill
TRUSSMAN66
Lumbering_Jack
9 posters

Go down

Betting Empty Betting

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 25 May 2011, 12:58 pm

The recent Degale vs. Groves fight was subject to a pre-fight bet (initiated by Degale) which Degale ultimately lost. Post fight, unfortunately, decided to let them off with the bet which is a shame as I was hoping for Degale to squirm when asked if if was going to pay Groves.

What other fights have been subject to bets and have any of them actually been paid?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Betting Empty Re: Betting

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 1:02 pm

In my last amateur fight I bet the kid he couldn't hurt me..

I certainly paid over the odds on that one 8)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 25 May 2011, 1:04 pm

Don't know about the modern era, Jack, but ' side bets ' were common in the early days of the Queensbury Rules. Corbett v Sullivan is just one example of a very high profile fight in which the protagonists sought to swell their purses by way of side bet.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 25 May 2011, 1:09 pm

I remember Hoppy offering Pavlik 500k that he couldnt knock him out. Dont think he took it though.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 25 May 2011, 1:11 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:The recent Degale vs. Groves fight was subject to a pre-fight bet (initiated by Degale) which Degale ultimately lost. Post fight, unfortunately, decided to let them off with the bet which is a shame as I was hoping for Degale to squirm when asked if if was going to pay Groves.

What other fights have been subject to bets and have any of them actually been paid?

Jack, Hopkins bet Joppy that he wouldn't last the distance back when they fought. Joppy did, and Hopkins paid up I believe. Think it was $200k but can't be sure. Credit to DAVE who mentioned this on another thread as well. I remember Hopkins desperately trying to finish the job in the 12th.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 1:13 pm

Bet 10,000 dollars on Buster beating Tyson at 40/1...

Lost the slip unfortunately..

Still never mind these things happen Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 25 May 2011, 1:17 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Don't know about the modern era, Jack, but ' side bets ' were common in the early days of the Queensbury Rules. Corbett v Sullivan is just one example of a very high profile fight in which the protagonists sought to swell their purses by way of side bet.

Windy, been reading about the Sullivan v Kilrain 75 round dust up back in the day. The amount of money placed in "side bets" before and during the fight was staggering. On a side note, it is thought that Sullivan earned over one milllion dollars during the course of his fighting career, quite a bit of it betting on himself. Obviously this is hard to verify but a crazy amount of money back then.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 25 May 2011, 1:19 pm

Over a million, Tino ?

That is absolutely staggering.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 25 May 2011, 1:23 pm

Lloyd Honeyghan backed himself to beat Don Curry, to the tune of £25,000 apparently. Turned out to be a nice little earner, to say the least.

Freddie Welsh's manager bet the whole of his $4,000 purse that he'd beat Benny Leonard in their 1917 title fight; so poor old Freddie returned to Britain with no money as well as no title.

Dempsey-Willard is another notorious example, with Doc Kearns supposedly betting Dempsey's purse on a first round knockout, hence Dempsey's wild swinging in the opener.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 25 May 2011, 1:29 pm

I know Windy, huge amount of money.

I think, but would need to check, that he was classed as the first "non-entrepreneur" to make over a million dollars.

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Wed 25 May 2011, 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 25 May 2011, 1:30 pm

There is a story that when Sam Langford was in the UK fighting (think against Hague but may be wrong) he instructed is manager to stick $10,000 on him such was his confidence. However his manager did not allow for the exchange rate and stuck £10,000 on, which was the equivalent of $50,000, an amount Sam could not cover.

Such were his nerves in the fight due to the potential shame he would suffer as a welsher he actually got caught in the first round and put over by Hague to his corners absolute horror. It was not till after a few rounds that Sam relaxed into the fight and scored the inevitable knockout thus winning a tidy sum and avoiding complete shame.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 25 May 2011, 1:34 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I know Windy, huge amount of money.

I think, but would need to check, that he was classed as the first "non-entrepreneur" to make over a million dollars.

True say (seemingly, at least) on Sullivan's earnings. Gilbert Odd wrote that "he (Sullivan) earned over a million dollars, which in modern terms would trump even Mike Tyson money."

Even more amazing, though, is that he drank his way through just about all of it. Apparently, when he died, all he had left from his entire estate was tucked away under his pillow - a ten dollar bill, and a five.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 25 May 2011, 1:38 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I know Windy, huge amount of money.

True say (seemingly, at least) on Sullivan's earnings. Gilbert Odd wrote that "he (Sullivan) earned over a million dollars, which in modern terms would trump even Mike Tyson money."

Even more amazing, though, is that he drank his way through just about all of it. Apparently, when he died, all he had left from his entire estate was tucked away under his pillow - a ten dollar bill, and a five.

Thanks Chris. Had no idea about how little he was left with. He sure was a interesting character was big John.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 1:41 pm

million dollars back then was probably half the national debt wiped out...

After all we still had to recover from the civil war fought a mere twenty years before it..

huge money..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2011, 1:44 pm

Hopkins promised to pay Joppy $200k if he went the distance in their fight. Hopkins went hell-for-leather in the 12th trying to get the stoppage but clearly Joppy had a few bills that needed paying and heard the final bell. Hopkins, true to his word, paid up in full.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 25 May 2011, 1:48 pm

rowley wrote:There is a story that when Sam Langford was in the UK fighting (think against Hague but may be wrong) he instructed is manager to stick $10,000 on him such was his confidence. However his manager did not allow for the exchange rate and stuck £10,000 on, which was the equivalent of $50,000, an amount Sam could not cover.

Such were his nerves in the fight due to the potential shame he would suffer as a welsher he actually got caught in the first round and put over by Hague to his corners absolute horror. It was not till after a few rounds that Sam relaxed into the fight and scored the inevitable knockout thus winning a tidy sum and avoiding complete shame.

laughing Remember reading that one Rowley, worked out ok in the end.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 25 May 2011, 1:50 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Hopkins promised to pay Joppy $200k if he went the distance in their fight. Hopkins went hell-for-leather in the 12th trying to get the stoppage but clearly Joppy had a few bills that needed paying and heard the final bell. Hopkins, true to his word, paid up in full.

Already credited you with this one earlier DAVE.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 25 May 2011, 1:51 pm

There was a Filipino guy who bet Ali 2-1 to beat Frazier in Manilla...although he didint need the money Ali reckoned Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 1:53 pm

Don't start bringing up filipinos on here..

Let's not tempt fate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 25 May 2011, 10:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:million dollars back then was probably half the national debt wiped out...

After all we still had to recover from the civil war fought a mere twenty years before it..

huge money..

Truss/Windy/Chris, did some more digging on this just because I am a geek and thought you might be interested, or at least humour me.

There are sketchy reports of Sullivans earnings from various sources around 1889 but the most comprehensive investigation appears to have been undertaken by the New York Herald in 1918. The number they came up with for John's earnings is $1,026,400 from 1884 to 1908. This is obviously not all from prizefighting, and also includes earnings from the theater, lecture circuit, vaudeville and various tours but of course his earnings outside of the ring are a direct result of prizefighting. They are hardly conclusive numbers as the evidence is so fragmented but it seems to be as close as possible to the truth.

His purse for the bare-knuckle Kilrain fight, which was over two hours long in the broiling Mississippi heat? $10,000 according to the New York Herald....and to think Audley Harrison earned a million bucks for less than 9 minutes of non-fighting in November!

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Wed 25 May 2011, 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 7:59 am

Very interesting stuff, Tino. Thanks very much for the update.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 26 May 2011, 11:37 am

Jack, Hopkins bet Joppy that he wouldn't last the distance back when they fought. Joppy did, and Hopkins paid up I believe. Think it was $200k but can't be sure. Credit to DAVE who mentioned this on another thread as well. I remember Hopkins desperately trying to finish the job in the 12th.
Yeah a muslim gambler! brilliant haha

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down