The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro12: Ospreys V Blues Welsh Derby

+12
Notch
Steffan
wales606
stevetynant
Luckless Pedestrian
bedfordwelsh
glamorganalun
Breadvan
maestegmafia
PenfroPete
wayne
LordDowlais
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pro12: Ospreys V Blues Welsh Derby - Page 2 Empty Pro12: Ospreys V Blues Welsh Derby

Post by LordDowlais Wed 08 Oct 2014, 10:21 am

First topic message reminder :

O.k I am looking forward to this one and I am going over to Swansea to watch it, this is the last chance I am giving to the Blues, another abject performance then they will get no more money off me, I could take a loss, but they seriously need to learn how to tackle, but I can only see an Ospreys win.

Like Glasgow, Ospreys have a perfect played five, won five record in the Guinness PRO12 this season, although the Welshmen have not let any opponent tally more than 15 points against them in any of those encounters.

Ospreys have won their last five fixtures at Liberty Stadium since Munster won there in round 15 last season.

Ospreys have not been defeated by a fellow Welsh region in the PRO12 whilst Steve Tandy has been in charge - their last such defeat was 20-21 to the Dragons in Newport in January 2012.

Cardiff Blues have not been victorious since the opening weekend against Zebre in Parma, although the capital side did at least draw 24-all with Connacht in Galway last Friday.

The Blues only PRO12 victory at the home of a fellow Welsh region in their last dozen encounters came at the Dragons in September 2012.

Ospreys have not been defeated by the Blues in the tournament since they visited Cardiff City Stadium on New Year's Eve 2010 whilst Blues only previous PRO12 win at Liberty Stadium came on their first ever visit in December 2005.

Teams:- TBA

At Liberty Stadium, 4pm. Live on S4C/Nuvolari
Referee: Leighton Hodges (WRU, 43rd competition game)
Assistant Referees: Sean Brickell, Gwyn Morris (both WRU)
Citing Commissioner: Dennis Jones (WRU)
TMO: Derek Bevan (WRU)

Last edited by LordDowlais on Wed 08 Oct 2014, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Pro12: Ospreys V Blues Welsh Derby - Page 2 Empty Re: Pro12: Ospreys V Blues Welsh Derby

Post by wales606 Sun 12 Oct 2014, 5:54 pm

Our team isn't that good, were lacking a winger, fullback, centre, decent SH and enforcer lock. Meanwhile most of the players we have are badly off form
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Pro12: Ospreys V Blues Welsh Derby - Page 2 Empty Re: Pro12: Ospreys V Blues Welsh Derby

Post by Guest Sun 12 Oct 2014, 5:56 pm

I think the difference is culture, the Ospreys look like a team that play for each other, where as the Blues are just full of big names.

On paper the Blues front row should have made mince meat of the Ospreys, but it didn't happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Sun 12 Oct 2014, 5:59 pm

Ok, makes no difference to the result, and maybe it was a try.. But what a farce again over the wording of the question.. TMO clearly said he could not see the grounding, but as the Ref asked "Is there any reason... " the try was awarded... Well surely YES there is a reason why the try cant be awarded... Its because it couldn't be seen grounded...

They really need to sort this "wording of the question" out, as its not working as it is..

The final score I think glosses over how bad the Blues are playing... They need some serious questions asked, or they are going to be facing the second tier European tournament next year as well as this... Assuming they qualify for that, which is no guarantee at present.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 12 Oct 2014, 6:04 pm

IronMike wrote:I think the difference is culture, the Ospreys look like a team that play for each other, where as the Blues are just full of big names.

On paper the Blues front row should have made mince meat of the Ospreys, but it didn't happen.

You have summed up Cardiff for many years, they have some good wins and then they can't follow it up. They have had too many players there for the money or jump better players to get into the national team.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 12 Oct 2014, 6:25 pm

Without kicking a dog when its down - A lot of people fancied the Blues to have a really good season and some even suggested they would make the playoffs - I couldn't see any basis for this. At this rate they could finish in the bottom 4.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sun 12 Oct 2014, 7:31 pm

Well I've never seen such a poor blues side. Totally out fought in every facet, didn't enter the Os 22 until 65 minutes. A bit more composure and we would've wrapped up a bp in the 2nd half. Excellent performance by the Ospreys.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 12 Oct 2014, 8:52 pm

My take on today, it was great to see a decent crowd, over 10000, what I've been asking for, we have a TEAM they are a number of individuals, with a scoreline that was extremely flattering, how the Ref could give that try at the end, with the question asked and the answer given by the TMO is beyond belief, the ball was clearly
NOT grounded, in an earlier post I mentioned three battles that I was looking forward the Front Row, Back Row and the Walker Cuthbert encounter, the first two IMO were overwhelming Ospreys victories and the final was again in my opinion an Osprey win but only just as neither had great chances, our half backs are again IMO, playing truly wonderful Rugby, their kicking duel with the Blues was the catalyst for our win with Dan Evans also contributing, the only let down for me today was the lineout throwing of Parry when he came on, he had better buck up in that department or the U 20 hooker Scott Otten will be soon replacing him

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Mon 13 Oct 2014, 8:17 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:Without kicking a dog when its down - A lot of people fancied the Blues to have a really good season and some even suggested they would make the playoffs - I couldn't see any basis for this. At this rate they could finish in the bottom 4.

I'll copy my post from the blues forum as it fits here:

I think we were all pretty realistic about this season and accepted that it would go something like this. We have quality in the squad but not throughout, we have one top level centre, 1 top level winger (who is playing poorly and has a terrible attitude), no full back as we wait for our new signing to arrive.

It was mainly the pundits and writers in the rags that were touting us as a top 6 side. Fact is this season is going to be one where Hammitt gets to grips with the squad and puts his own stamp on it and it will take time. Remember what Copeland said about mistakes in training being laughed off? Well it takes time to change a culture and if it takes us 2/3 years to get back to how we were when we got the HEC semis or Amlin final, then i'll take that.

We've already seen players like Cook, often seen as decent/average replacement but nothing special, come in adn take their chance and show there is another level to their game. Josh is continuing his decent form and will be key for us during international periods. I just wish more of the 'senior' blues players (Cuthbert in particular) show as much commitment to the cause as those two, rather than sulking and looking like he's going to burst in to tears when he doesn't get his way (i.e can't run over someone and gets turned over).

Lastly, we need to recruit a new front row. Adam, Gethin and Matthew are on their last legs and it's showing. Not being disrespectful but there comes a time where it should be accepted and we need to recruit heavily. I would like to see Dacey given then '2' shirt for the next few games and then for us to be on the look out for some props.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 13 Oct 2014, 8:19 am

gcBlues wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:Without kicking a dog when its down - A lot of people fancied the Blues to have a really good season and some even suggested they would make the playoffs - I couldn't see any basis for this.  At this rate they could finish in the bottom 4.

I'll copy my post from the blues forum as it fits here:

I think we were all pretty realistic about this season and accepted that it would go something like this. We have quality in the squad but not throughout, we have one top level centre, 1 top level winger (who is playing poorly and has a terrible attitude), no full back as we wait for our new signing to arrive.

It was mainly the pundits and writers in the rags that were touting us as a top 6 side. Fact is this season is going to be one where Hammitt gets to grips with the squad and puts his own stamp on it and it will take time. Remember what Copeland said about mistakes in training being laughed off? Well it takes time to change a culture and if it takes us 2/3 years to get back to how we were when we got the HEC semis or Amlin final, then i'll take that.

We've already seen players like Cook, often seen as decent/average replacement but nothing special, come in adn take their chance and show there is another level to their game. Josh is continuing his decent form and will be key for us during international periods. I just wish more of the 'senior' blues players (Cuthbert in particular) show as much commitment to the cause as those two, rather than sulking and looking like he's going to burst in to tears when he doesn't get his way (i.e can't run over someone and gets turned over).

Lastly, we need to recruit a new front row. Adam, Gethin and Matthew are on their last legs and it's showing. Not being disrespectful but there comes a time where it should be accepted and we need to recruit heavily. I would like to see Dacey given then '2' shirt for the next few games and then for us to be on the look out for some props.

Very good post clap
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 13 Oct 2014, 8:30 am

Ok, I am typing this with a very groggy head, what a fantastic day out I had yesterday, there were about 15,000 of us there yesterday, and it just shows what can happen when you get fans who do not have to travel as far to go and watch their team play away, the atmosphere was electric, and how the Ospreys did not get a bonus point only the gods could say, the Blues I must say were pathetic, Dan Baker was just gliding past them, and Dan Biggar, what can I say, another 100% kicking percentage again, it's about time that this kid got some recognition, he is class, I told my father yesterday, that I will be driving down the A465 to spend my money on rugby from now on, he can go down the A470 on his own, the Ospreys are not a spectacular side, but they do all the basics to a very well drilled high standard, they play for each other, and it shows on the pitch, they are a pleasure to watch at the moment.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 13 Oct 2014, 3:52 pm

It's a pleasure to watch the Ospreys, if only because they all know what they're doing and they've all bought into it. Rugby's a simple game and it makes me genuinely sad that the Dragons look like they're taking the field with no game plan at all. Is it any consolation that the Blues are just as bad? Yes. It's the only consolation I have, apart from the fact that we have players to come back.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 13 Oct 2014, 4:56 pm

Also, they probably have the best captain in the league.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 13 Oct 2014, 5:03 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Also, they probably have the best captain in the league.
That is spot on, Also to have 4 really good kickers in the team helps, 2 of the other 3 are not bad either, the only one you could say is decent is Bishop, yet he has his share of outstanding skills, Lord where were you sitting yesterday and are you coming over next week, if you are perhaps we can meet up?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 14 Oct 2014, 6:31 am

With the exception of the coaches, players and their most die hard of fans the Os have surprised most this season so far. With the players they lost (yes I know they didn't play that much) then a lot were thinking they would struggle as any team who loses that experience in those positions would but fair play to them they have shut their critics up so far.

Some have said it's not spectacular rugby etc etc but who cares, it's winning rugby and that's what matters, look at the Leicester when they were at their pomp, was it spectacular rugby, no not always but it got them to the top of the pile and thats where the Os want to aim for.

Even as a Dragons fan I like watching them at the moment because they are doing the basics well, everyone knows their role and they seem to have a solid structure and game plan which everyone is buying into.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 14 Oct 2014, 7:19 am

Just so this doesn't turn into an Ospreys love-in, I want to say I think Scott Baldwin is overrated.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 14 Oct 2014, 8:09 am

wayne wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Also, they probably have the best captain in the league.
That is spot on, Also to have 4 really good kickers in the team helps, 2 of the other 3 are not bad either, the only one you could say is decent is Bishop, yet he has his share of outstanding skills, Lord where were you sitting yesterday and are you coming over next week, if you are perhaps we can meet up?

Wayne I think I am going to give the next two HC for the Ospreys a miss, my old man and brother are still trying to convince me to go to the Grenoble and Munster games at the Arms park, also the girls will enjoy a day in Cardiff, I think I am going to give the Blues one last chance, if they beat Grenoble then they could turn their season around, but and I am serious, if they lose to Grenoble thats it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 14 Oct 2014, 8:15 am

P.s, I was sitting in the lower west stand near where the players run out.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 14 Oct 2014, 8:38 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Just so this doesn't turn into an Ospreys love-in, I want to say I think Scott Baldwin is overrated.

Nah, that's Eli Walker.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 14 Oct 2014, 8:55 am

The Saint wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Just so this doesn't turn into an Ospreys love-in, I want to say I think Scott Baldwin is overrated.

Nah, that's Eli Walker.

Eli Walker has been pretty good this season, I would say the only winger better than him in Wales at the moment is Hallam Amos from the Dragons, I would have either of those two in the Welsh team before Cuthbert.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 14 Oct 2014, 9:41 am

Hey, what's not to love? We're undefeated  Wink Harsh on Baldwin lucky. Scott is where Hibbard was when Hugh Bennett left. I think he'll turn into a good hooker for us over this season. Sam Parry however.....Ospreys had two line outs on the blues 5m line which failed due to poor throws.
As for Eli, he'll get better and the tries will come.

Last edited by Breadvan on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 14 Oct 2014, 10:11 am

LordDowlais wrote:P.s, I was sitting in the lower west stand near where the players run out.
Lord, I also sit in the lower West near the half way line, I moved after about 5 minutes into the match and was sitting next to the Blues dugout, fantastic view, if you ever want a 10% discount on any match ticket and want to meet up let me know.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 14 Oct 2014, 10:17 am

wayne wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:P.s, I was sitting in the lower west stand near where the players run out.
Lord, I also sit in the lower West near the half way line, I moved after about 5 minutes into the match and was sitting next to the Blues dugout, fantastic view, if you ever want a 10% discount on any match ticket and want to meet up let me know.

Cheers, nice one, if I need a ticket I will PM you, but if I am going I would need more than 1 ticket, I was not right in the middle, I was more in with the Blues fans, the only trouble I find when I sit around that area on the lower tier is, when you need to watch something that is happening right down the other end, you find yourself either standing up or craning your neck and you still do not get a jist of what is happening, that is why I prefer the higher tier seats, you can see averything from there.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 14 Oct 2014, 10:31 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:With the exception of the coaches, players and their most die hard of fans the Os have surprised most this season so far.  With the players they lost (yes I know they didn't play that much) then a lot were thinking they would struggle as any team who loses that experience in those positions would but fair play to them they have shut their critics up so far.

Some have said it's not spectacular rugby etc etc but who cares, it's winning rugby and that's what matters, look at the Leicester when they were at their pomp, was it spectacular rugby, no not always but it got them to the top of the pile and thats where the Os want to aim for.

Even as a Dragons fan I like watching them at the moment because they are doing the basics well, everyone knows their role and they seem to have a solid structure and game plan which everyone is buying into.
BW, if you bothered to watch the coaches press conferences and the perfect example is this weeks edition where Tandy said the pundits who were writing us off due to 2 pre season games and now we are world beaters because of 6 wins are both wrong, we are somewhere in between, improving yes, but with a lot still to learn, if you are including me in your statement about our fans, you are TOTALLY WRONG, did I expect to be in this position now NO, look at the comments I've made about every match, what I objected to was the tone of some of the comments about my Team, (let me add you are not included), I generally find you very fair in your assessments of most things Rugby wise, we are normally a well coached team who do the basics well, did you see on Sunday where Dan Biggar took the ball into contact and a ruck developed, who was in the fly half position to kick the ball down field about 50 yards, it was your ex player Dan Evans, he is already into the basics of our play, you really should have kept him, it is good for us to have a proper and natural full back on our books

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 14 Oct 2014, 10:42 am

LordDowlais wrote:
wayne wrote:

Cheers, nice one, if I need a ticket I will PM you, but if I am going I would need more than 1 ticket, I was not right in the middle, I was more in with the Blues fans, the only trouble I find when I sit around that area on the lower tier is, when you need to watch something that is happening right down the other end, you find yourself either standing up or craning your neck and you still do not get a jist of what is happening, that is why I prefer the higher tier seats, you can see everything from there.
Lord, IIRC, every ST holder can have a 10% discount on 2 tickets, I go with my brother in law and my nephew, so we can do 6 tickets between us, it is not a problem.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 14 Oct 2014, 7:06 pm

Wayne,

Not being funny but why would I want to watch an Ospreys press conference, what I was trying to get at is the coaches have belief because they work with the players day in day out and know how good they are as opposed to fans from other Regions who just judge and jump on the band wagon.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 14 Oct 2014, 7:12 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Wayne,

Not being funny but why would I want to watch an Ospreys press conference, what I was trying to get at is the coaches have belief because they work with the players day in day out and know how good they are as opposed to fans from other Regions who just judge and jump on the band wagon.
I quite understand your point BW, I wouldn't watch any other teams PC either and I misunderstood your point, I thought you were implying that some Ospreys supporters were going over the top, SORRY

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 15 Oct 2014, 12:46 pm

No probs Wayne lol
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2