The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connors v Lendl, Edberg, Becker and Laver

4 posters

Go down

Connors v Lendl, Edberg, Becker and Laver Empty Connors v Lendl, Edberg, Becker and Laver

Post by hawkeye Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:20 am

Connors rivalry with Borg and McEnroe is well known but these players are 4 and 7 years younger than him so it's hardly surprising that his wins against these two players tailed off after he aged. I wondered how he fared against even younger rivals for example Lendl, Edberg and Becker (8,14 and 15 years his junior). He was dominant against both Lendl and Edberg until he hit 32-33 but the 15 year age difference between him and Becker was perhaps a step too far and he never got a win against him.

I then wondered how Connors did when he was younger and faced an old pro. I found this interesting video of him playing Laver in an exhibition in 1975. I reckon Connors was 22 and Laver 36. Unlike many old tennis videos this one makes the match look like fun to watch Very Happy
Connors won 6-4, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SptdffCeVmM

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Connors v Lendl, Edberg, Becker and Laver Empty Re: Connors v Lendl, Edberg, Becker and Laver

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 09 Nov 2014, 7:29 pm

That's the Ceasar's Palace match. It was promoted as a winner takes all match ($1 million maybe?) but behind the scenes both players got paid handsomely. At that point Connors was public enemy No. 1 and strode to the court shouting obscenities at the crowd - although from his point of view this was just part of the hype. Better to have them hate you than not care about you, was his way of thinking.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Connors v Lendl, Edberg, Becker and Laver Empty Re: Connors v Lendl, Edberg, Becker and Laver

Post by laverfan Sun 09 Nov 2014, 9:59 pm

Saw that match. Very fond memories despite all of Connors antics. There is very famous Connors quote... "Get me Laver!" associated with this promotion/exhibition.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:44 pm

Incredible skills. Can never get enough of watching Laver strut his stuff.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 10 Nov 2014, 12:21 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-VeBIal8TU

Three of my favorites on this clip. Laver, Borg and Pancho on the microphone. This still gives me goosebumps.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down