The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India in Australia, Tour Preview

+9
LondonTiger
JDizzle
Pal Joey
Gerry SA
ShankyCricket
freemo
kingraf
KP_fan
msp83
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

India in Australia, Tour Preview Empty India in Australia, Tour Preview

Post by msp83 Tue 11 Nov 2014, 6:02 pm

A 4 test series, and then a 3 nation ODI tournament right before the World Cup involving England as well.
A jumbo squad announced by India. Mahendra Singh Dhoni is the squad captain but won't be leading the side out for the first test as he's recovering from a thumb injury. Virat Kohli will be leading the side for the first test.
Wriddhiman Saha will be the first choice keeper for the first game and then will be the back-up for Dhoni. Naman Ojha will be Saha's back-up for the first game.
No Virender Sehwag or Gautam Gambhir thankfully. Its young Karnataka opener KL Rahul who is the reserve opener in the side along with regular openers Murali Vijay and Shikhar Dhawan. Both Rohit Sharma and even more surprisingly, Suresh Raina have found themselves in the squad. Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Ishant Sharma, Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav and Varun Aaron constitute the seam attack. Along with Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja, Railways leggy Karn Sharma also makes it to the squad to form the spin unit.
Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane form the middle order.
Can the Indian batting lineup regain basic self-worth? Will Bhuvneshwar Kumar be as effective in Australia as he was in England? Can Ishant and the rest of the seam bowling unit hold their own against the Australian batsman? Can Ashwin, Jadeja or Karn, whoever plays, at least contain the Australian batsmen and give the seamers any chance?
Will Australia look for a new opening combination? Who would bat 3 and 6 for them? Will Watson and the younger Marsh play in the same side? Will Ryan Harris return and will he be the same bowler? Will Mitchell Johnson allow any other Australian bowlers to have any say! in things??? Will it be 4-0 for Australia or will India be able to salvage something at least in one game?

msp83

Back to top Go down

India in Australia, Tour Preview Empty Re: India in Australia, Tour Preview

Post by KP_fan Tue 11 Nov 2014, 6:34 pm

19 players means a lot of fear and indecision...

and means conflict between captain...wanting his agenda lover-boys....Rohit & Raina...and selectors wanting players of merit

Tiwary and Jadhav would have been the meritorious ones even if the list had to be extended to 19

ditto jadeja...found out and akshar patel or that chinaman bowler from UP deserved to be ahead of him.

the only saviour could be a blow from Mudgal Panel leaving dhoni and srini down on the ground
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 11 Nov 2014, 6:35 pm

Rahul and Karn are good selections.....Karn is a raw form of Warne....in bowling style and shape / size
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 11 Nov 2014, 7:02 pm

Most of this team picks itself, surely (in Tests)?
Vijay
--
Pujará
Kohli
Rahane
Dhoni (to be fair, I thought he batted well in England at 6, and certainly justified his selection there)
---
B. Kumar
Sharma
Shami
---

Only three spots realistically up for grabs? What's the feeling in India?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 11 Nov 2014, 7:08 pm

Its not just you, even the likes of Rahul Dravid rates Karn. But I must say I am not too convinced. He does have a good FC average, but 66 wickets from 34 matches in Indian conditions? That too when he's not really an all-rounder as such, only a bowler who averages in the 20s with the bat? He did seem promising in whatever T-20 I have followed him play, but the lack of first class wickets is a concern for me. Don't forget he's not too young either.
As for Kuldeep Yadav, let him first play some FC cricket before playing tests. Don't think Akshar is a lot different to Jadeja with the ball. Keep it between stumps to stumps, not too much flight, make good use of the natural variation on the pitch....... I think I would even consider Jadeja ahead of Ashwin in Indian conditions, though overseas, they both need to go some way. Not too sure Karn, or Akshar for now, are the answers though.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 11 Nov 2014, 7:18 pm

kingraf wrote:Most of this team picks itself, surely (in Tests)?
Vijay
--
Pujará
Kohli
Rahane
Dhoni (to be fair, I thought he batted well in England at 6, and certainly justified his selection there)
---
B. Kumar
Sharma
Shami
---

Only three spots realistically up for grabs? What's the feeling in India?
Not too sure of Shami in that list. He has regressed from the bowler who reverse swung the West Indies out, and in England, Varun Aaron had overtaken him. They both are facing some injury concerns, as is Ishant. Umesh Yadav has come back better after his injury layoff, and think I would prefer Yadav who didn't disgrace himself during the last Australian tour to be in the first choice 11. Wish Bhuvi will be as effective as he was in England, but not very hopeful on that front, don't think the ball swings much in Australia.......
Vijay, Dhawan? Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Dhoni, Ashwin, Kumar, Aaron, Ishant, Yadav.
And for the first test, Saha in for Dhoni, and Rahul for one of the seamers. Don't think there is any point in wasting a spot for Rohit or Raina though Rahul is an opener....... And if he does well and Shikhar doesn't then the latter will have to go out when the skipper, the only hope of getting us to 200+ comes back in. Dhoni actually batted pretty well in England, with his technique and the relative lack of success away and all.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Wed 12 Nov 2014, 2:30 pm

Saha in for the 1st test then, with Dhoni out...

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:15 pm

I agree Karn is the not the next Kumble but can it really get any worse than Jadeja and Ashwin overseas? Whats the harm in trying him out? Rahul over Dhawan hopefully.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Wed 12 Nov 2014, 7:27 pm

Ashwin will play IMO.... i think he gets a lot of unfair stick, he's a more than useful all-round cricketer..

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Nov 2014, 1:49 pm

Now it will be Rohit Sharma in at 6 at least for the first 3 tests after his 264 in an ODI game against Sri Lanka's mediocre attack on a flat highway!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Thu 13 Nov 2014, 2:56 pm

i would have thought Rohit would have been there anyway....

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Nov 2014, 3:09 pm

Not if they were to have gone in with 5 batsmen, Dhoni and an all-rounder.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 14 Nov 2014, 5:04 am

msp83 wrote:Now it will be Rohit Sharma in at 6 at least for the first 3 tests after his 264 in an ODI game against Sri Lanka's mediocre attack on a flat highway!.

he has a double hundred and a 100 in his first 2 tests

and 2 doubles hundreds in ODIs
and the highest ODI score....by a mile

you must grant him...the biggest FTB in the history of the game.

this double hundred doesn't matter.....if Dhoni captains....he will juggle the one open middle order slot between Rohit and Raina regrdless of these scores

and the Indian test score in this series is a foregone
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Fri 14 Nov 2014, 4:25 pm

Raina won't be there...certainly not in test cricket!!

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 14 Nov 2014, 5:07 pm

KP_fan wrote:
msp83 wrote:Now it will be Rohit Sharma in at 6 at least for the first 3 tests after his 264 in an ODI game against Sri Lanka's mediocre attack on a flat highway!.

he has a double hundred and a 100 in his first 2 tests

and 2 doubles hundreds in ODIs
and the highest ODI score....by a mile

you must grant him...the biggest FTB in the history of the game.

this double hundred doesn't matter.....if Dhoni captains....he will juggle the one open middle order slot between Rohit and Raina regrdless of these scores

and the Indian test score in this series is a foregone
No double-hundred in test, the FTB has a highest of 177 in the longer format.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Wed 19 Nov 2014, 11:00 pm

Don't see India's batsmen living with the hostile Australian fast bowlers TBH.

Johnson, Harris, Hazlewood, Starc, Cummins etc they could pick any of those plus a handful of others,

I see another 4-0 drubbing.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 24 Nov 2014, 8:45 am

Indian bowlers all of them did well.....against CAXI....we dunno the quality of the opponent...nevertheless there were no unnecessary prolonged delays from the CA lower order
In the past lower orders of club sides have hung around.

The difference in my view is Kohli as a captain is more purposeful and proactive when handling bowlers and field placements
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:03 am

Some very sad news.

Phil Hughes was struck on the chest? and head by Sean Abbott in the Shield match (he was batting for SA v NSW) at the SCG this afternoon.
Reports saying he was knocked unconscious and collapsed to the ground. He was wearing a helmet.

He remains in a critical condition in intensive care after being taken to St Vincent's Hospital.

The match has been suspended.

Poor guy... I just hope he is OK.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:14 am

Horrific news about Phil Hughes. It sounds touch and go from everything I've read, so here's hoping he pulls through! Thoughts are with him, his family and Sean Abbott.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:31 am

It's horrifying to hear......I pray he comes out safe.
It's surprising...the severity of the injury even with the helmet
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:40 am

He has had the operation and now they will just have to wait to see how he goes.
Apparently the next 24-48 hours will be critical.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:59 am

Absolutely horrific incident.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 25 Nov 2014, 9:29 am

Really terrible news, here's hoping Phil pulls through

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 25 Nov 2014, 11:30 am

It seems he was struck on the back of his head, just below the helmet. Very unlucky and easy to imagine what a terrible injury that could cause.

Really hoping he pulls through and we are treated to more of his exciting brand of cricket for many years to come

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 25 Nov 2014, 1:23 pm

Hard to imagine he'll be the same even if the injuries heal. Tough break.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 27 Nov 2014, 5:10 am

Phil Hughes has passed away.

Extremely sad news. rip fella.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 27 Nov 2014, 5:29 am

So sad.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 27 Nov 2014, 7:30 am

I don't see how the first test can be played in time.
Cricket appears so inconsequential to all right now
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 27 Nov 2014, 7:36 am

Apologies to msp83 for losing the topic on this thread.

Sorry mate. Before today I didn't think we would be facing this tragic turn of events and I didn't want to create a new thread on the unfortunate tragedy which occurred on Tuesday. I was quietly hoping things would turn out OK.

I have now created a separate condolence thread in the International section.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 27 Nov 2014, 10:59 am

Pending decision on whether the first Test is cancelled or delayed, I really hope Dave Warner can give his great mate a fitting tribute with a  n emotional century.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Thu 27 Nov 2014, 6:14 pm

I believe it will be played, but the NSW players won't be invovled...i've heard..

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 28 Nov 2014, 9:04 pm

Melbourne: The first cricket Test between India and Australia is all set to be rescheduled as three of the senior cricketers in Shane Watson, David Warner and Brad Haddin are amongst those who have already said that they are not in perfect state of mind to return to competitive cricket.

According to a report in 'The Australian', the first Test scheduled to start at the Gabba on December 4, may now be squeezed between the second Test at Adelaide (December 12-16) and the third Test at Melbourne on 'Boxing Day' (December 26-30).

Related Stories
Phillip Hughes' death has had deep impact on my son: Steve Waugh
To Hughes with Love: Finding innovative ways of paying tribute
New Zealand coach Mike Hesson admits playing was tough after Phillip Hughes tragedy
Huge outpouring for Australia`s tragic Phillip Hughes
The report stated,"The players met at the SCG yesterday where they were addressed by Michael Clarke after the death of Phillip Hughes on Thursday. The Weekend Australian understands that the Test squad was unanimous in their decision not to play the game."

"Test players David Warner, Shane Watson, Brad Haddin and Nathan Lyon were on the field when Hughes was struck and attended to him in the terrible minutes after the extent of the damage became apparent. What they saw on the pitch, what they saw in the hospital and the grief they feel has stripped them of the desire to play cricket."

There is an expectation that Hughes' funeral cannot take place until Wednesday. His body will be taken back to his home town of Macksville on the mid-north coast. If the players attend funeral, it will be almost impossible to come back and concentrate on a Test match starting very next day.

Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland said that the BCCI was completely supportive of the situation.

"We've been in constant contact with the officials from the Indian cricket board and I've got to say that their understanding and empathy has been absolutely outstanding," Sutherland said.

"They completely understand the situation. They're doing everything they can to do that."

"They'll prepare themselves in the best way possible. They understand that these are unique and extraordinary circumstances and I guess if the Test match goes ahead, both teams will have a very different sort of preparation."

Former Australian captain Ricky Ponting is of the opinion that if the players don't want to play, they shouldn't be forced.

"If the boys make the decision they want to play then it has to go ahead, but all of them have to make that decision," Ponting says. "But I don't think they are going to be right.

"It's one thing to think the guys will be ready, but people don?t understand how much heart and soul and concentration and effort they put into every single delivery over five days of a Test match."

PTI

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 28 Nov 2014, 9:22 pm

Probably for the best. Two weeks is certainly a small turnaround in terms or coming to terms with what must be a traumatic incident, but hopefully, they come good. The show, unfortunately must go on, and we can't sit and wallow too long. It's not what Hughes would have wanted, judging by the comments and opinion pieces of the man. It's a real pity something like this happened, but life unfortunately is not a vacuum, and more importantly, there are people who's livelihoods depend on the cricketing summer. No surprise the players don't want to play. They've just seen their mate die, it was natural that they'd be not too focus on cricket. I hope they too get some specific counselling, as once the shock and pain of losing a great mate has subsided, I'd rate a few are going to have to look at reality that their all mere mortals, and this could happen to them. Hopefully they all get back into the game
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 04 Dec 2014, 10:26 am

Well the focus is back on cricket...Indians started their 2 day game against CAXI....Aaron continues to be the pick of seam bowlers.
Harris , Johnson etal have also been talking about the focus shift back to cricket now that the funeral has provided a "sense of closure"
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 04 Dec 2014, 11:24 am

It's going to be interesting to see how the Australians bowl this summer. Johnson basically perfected the "Up or down" strategy, where a bowler bowls either at the head or the Stumps. None of this top of fifth stump into slips garbage (although, that is generally what happens at the end).

How willing to put it in the ribs will they be this summer? I'm also excited to see Kohli caption a Test team. Along with Pujara, he's my favourite batter in the world after Clarke and Warner, and Younus. Seems more like a Michael Clarke type leader, lead from the front with the bat, and look to make something happen in the field.

India will still lose 4-0 though.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 04 Dec 2014, 6:59 pm

Dhawan once again showing he is nowhere near test class.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 05 Dec 2014, 6:48 pm

well dhawan scored runs in SA and NZ.
he will get first two tests.

my line-up and order would be:

1) Dhawan
2) Vijay
3) Pujara
4) Rahane
5) Kohli
6) Ojha
7) Bhuvi
8) Karn
9) Yadav
10)Ishant
11) Aaron
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 06 Dec 2014, 5:56 am

Dhawan ahead of Rahul in tests is a disgrace. Like Raina, he is a ODI batsman.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 06 Dec 2014, 6:00 am

Dhawan has 3 40+ scores in 17 test inns. 2 in 14 overseas. Too much of a lottery for an opener. He has neither the technique nor the temperament to handle testing conditions in Test cricket.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 06 Dec 2014, 2:04 pm

look at those numbers .....in SA, NZ and Eng
they show many starts and those two innings in NZ of 98 and 115 against a decent Kiwi seam attack...shows he can convert.

Not that we are overflowing with opening talent...those numbers + his super show in Champions Trophy earns him 4 more test inning ( means atleast 2 or possibly 3 tests)....in my view atleast.
The bigger problem is Raina and Rohit in the squad......Rayadu or Tiwary would be far more deserving

13 37 27 2 0 48.14 2 caught 1 v South Africa Johannesburg 18 Dec 2013 Test # 2108
15 32 21 1 0 71.42 1 caught 3 v South Africa Johannesburg 18 Dec 2013 Test # 2108
29 64 49 4 0 59.18 1 caught 1 v South Africa Durban 26 Dec 2013 Test # 2111
19 120 87 2 0 21.83 1 caught 3 v South Africa Durban 26 Dec 2013 Test # 2111
0 1 3 0 0 0.00 1 caught 2 v New Zealand Auckland 6 Feb 2014 Test # 2118
115 322 211 12 1 54.50 2 caught 4 v New Zealand Auckland 6 Feb 2014 Test # 2118
98 189 127 14 1 77.16 1 caught 2 v New Zealand Wellington 14 Feb 2014 Test # 2120

12 30 24 0 0 50.00 2 caught 1 v England Nottingham 9 Jul 2014 Test # 2128
29 52 29 6 0 100.00 2 caught 3 v England Nottingham 9 Jul 2014 Test # 2128
7 13 11 1 0 63.63 2 caught 1 v England Lord's 17 Jul 2014 Test # 2130
31 64 45 4 0 68.88 2 caught 3 v England Lord's 17 Jul 2014 Test # 2130
6 29 17 1 0 35.29 2 caught 2 v England Southampton 27 Jul 2014 Test # 2132
37 124 85 6 0 43.52 2 caught 4 v England Southampton 27 Jul 2014 Test # 2132
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Sat 06 Dec 2014, 6:15 pm

cant believe Raina ever makes a test squad....he will never ever consistently score runs in test match cricket..

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 06 Dec 2014, 6:32 pm

Rahul is technically much better than Dhawan. Dhawan has 2 40+ scores in 14 inns overseas. Not exactly a great conversion rate.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 06 Dec 2014, 7:27 pm

freemo wrote:cant believe Raina ever makes a test squad....he will never ever consistently score runs in test match cricket..

he is called "Bhabhi" in cricketing circles......and Dhoni is called "Bhai"
The "special Relation" is the primary cause of the innumerable and out of way chances that Raina gets
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 06 Dec 2014, 7:31 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:Rahul is technically much better than Dhawan. Dhawan has 2 40+ scores in 14 inns overseas. Not exactly a great conversion rate.

KL Rahul's technique is not tested at international level.
I am not saying that he will fail.......we won't know until he plays.....and I wish he will come good...but there is a big gulf between playing stock 120-125kph Ranji bowling on flat domestic pitches vs. Johnson / Harris/Siddle on Australian bouncy pitches.
technique, temperament and reflexes all 3 are required to succeed at this level.

we also do not have an embarrassing riches of opener.....Rahul's chance will come eventually and that could be as early as the 3rd test of this series.

But Dhawan's 2 good innings in NZ and  a solid CT in Eng warrant him 4 more innings.....he has temperament and reflex ( eye) to handle the pace.....the other option Rahul is unproven and it's better to do a full and final settlement of Dhawan by giving him a few more innings now...rather thamn play Rahul and if he fails get back to Dhawan again

Last edited by KP_fan on Sat 06 Dec 2014, 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 06 Dec 2014, 7:35 pm

Is it bhabhi or Behna? Behna rhymes with Raina too

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 06 Dec 2014, 7:43 pm

Fair enough about Dhawan. I don't think he has a cat in a hell's chance of succeeding in tests in Australia but the "full and final settlement" thing makes sense. But I won't give him another 4 inns. Only 2 esp since the 1st test is at Adelaide, by far the flattest pitch in Australia. If he fails in both inns there (he also failed in both the warm up inns at Adelaide) then picking him on a bouncy surface at the Gabba makes little sense.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 06 Dec 2014, 7:50 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:Fair enough about Dhawan. I don't think he has a cat in a hell's chance of succeeding in tests in Australia but the "full and final settlement" thing makes sense. But I won't give him another 4 inns. Only 2 esp since the 1st test is at Adelaide, by far the flattest pitch in Australia. If he fails in both inns there (he also failed in both the warm up inns at Adelaide) then picking him on a bouncy surface at the Gabba makes little sense.

whether he gets 2 innings or 4 will depend on how he fails...
if he looks clueless, is ruffled by pace and bounce and falls in single digits...he won't get the 2nd test.

if he gets behind the line, leaves well outside off..... gets a start into 20s also.....he will get another test
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 06 Dec 2014, 8:34 pm

Fair enough.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Sun 07 Dec 2014, 6:50 pm

Bhuvnehusar a doubt, didn't bowl in training today, struggling with an ankle injury..

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 07 Dec 2014, 8:21 pm

freemo wrote:Bhuvnehusar a doubt, didn't bowl in training today, struggling with an ankle injury..

that would be a blessing in disguise...I don't think his style will suit the aussie pitches
although it weakens the batting
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next