The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eng in Lanka

+25
amanuensis
msp83
alfie
Stella
Pal Joey
LondonTiger
sirfredperry
Mat
Duty281
kingraf
Mad for Chelsea
Hoggy_Bear
jimbohammers
Mike Selig
mystiroakey
robbo277
SimonofSurrey
dummy_half
Jetty
guildfordbat
Gerry SA
freemo
JDizzle
VTR
KP_fan
29 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Eng in Lanka - Page 9 Empty Eng in Lanka

Post by KP_fan Fri 21 Nov 2014, 2:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

From not being keen on Moeen's position, Cook now uses him to open the batting and bowling sometimes.
While I am a fan of Moeen's temperament, I dont think he is the saviour that Eng is looking for.

also he won't do well as an opener for too long.

Cook has strong dislikes and it seems now Hales is on that list.

Lanks has been Mauled by India and must be at lowest possible morale.

Eng is not a great ODI side and lagging by the day as Morgan observed.

Should be an even series if not a high quality one. Lanks might still win
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Eng in Lanka - Page 9 Empty Re: Eng in Lanka

Post by KP_fan Tue 16 Dec 2014, 3:18 pm

if Eng was Aus....they would have made Root the captain in ODIs and announced him successor to Cook in tests......

but these things do not happen in Eng or Indi Cool
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 16 Dec 2014, 3:20 pm

yeah Moeen did bowl well, should really have had Matthews earlier, for some reason the thrid ump didn't think a fairly sizeable deflection when the ball passed the bat (and a change in ball rotation) constituted enough evidence to overturn the not-out call. Quite what more was needed given absence of snicko and hotspot is beyond me, but there you go...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 16 Dec 2014, 3:21 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:all reasonable guildford. I just sometimes get tired of reading the same comments again and again. I'm as frustrated as anyone that none of the selectors seem to realise the extensive problems with England's ODI plans, and some of my frustration may have boiled over.

I think they do realise the problems but lack the backbone to act. Their comments allude to the problems, but then say something along the lines "well we can't do that because such and such is a great bloke". There are too many sycophants in the setup I would say, change needs to start from the top.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 16 Dec 2014, 3:53 pm

Woakes and Root putting together a decent partnership here. A bit of batting form for Woakes would be a positive as he will be in or around the team for Aus. I could easily see an attack of Woakes/Jordan/Broad/Anderson for the World Cup. That doesn't look too bad on paper to be honest, would be one of the stronger seam attacks there.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 16 Dec 2014, 4:18 pm

I'll say it again, you're all overly pessimistic about your chances in Australia. I'd back and fancy us to beat you, and would say the same for Australia. Bit otherwise, in a one off, you're not worse than. 50/50 against any of the other countries (except maybe India... they're god awful on lively pitches, but sparked you guys proper in England)
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 16 Dec 2014, 4:19 pm

England have a lot of problems but we have never really done well in the sub continent in ODI's or in general. The real test of where we're at will come in the triangular series. I think we'll do better on those pitches, and Sri Lanka's spin attack won't get as much success down under. Maybe Cook will get some runs on harder pitches but at the moment its looking unlikely. Morgan has had a torrid series and his place seriously needs looking at. Root is maturing into a world class cricketer, and a future captain indeed. Is it too early to look at giving it to him? not that England will, as Broad is their preferred option.

Also, anyone see Downton's interview? the very definition of clueless???

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 16 Dec 2014, 5:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1qtsLfZWWQ - A link to the Downton interview. Whistle

I still remember the ODI series after the Ashes in 06/07 where we were diabolical and then, out of nowhere, Collingwood made two centuries and a 70 in three innings to get us through to the finals and then win the finals 2-0 against Aus. Glorious. That's my one source of hope for the WC!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 16 Dec 2014, 5:34 pm

Didn't that against the odds win fool the selectors into thinking we had a decent side, which was then abysmal at the world cup?

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 16 Dec 2014, 5:46 pm

Probably. Don't really remember about who was in form back then, but they were experimenting with Joyce and Loye at the top of the order. Jamie Dalrymple was playing too. Those Colly centuries were worth it though.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 16 Dec 2014, 9:21 pm

JC Tredwell st †Sangakkara b Jayawardene 17

Jaya played his last home game.....and a memorable way to finish.....his long time mate and the other pillar of Lankan cricket......having a hand in a fare-wicket
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9