The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+29
I'm never wrong
Plunky
barragan
skiddy
gaelgowfer
raycastleunited
BlueCoverman
kwinigolfer
super_realist
McLaren
incontinentia
1GrumpyGolfer
golfermartin
JAS
lorus59
Nay
SmithersJones
westisbest
GunsGerms
pedro
MustPuttBetter
Davie
Mad for Chelsea
ralphjohn69
Bob_the_Job
navyblueshorts
beninho
Roller_Coaster
Shotrock
33 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 16 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sr,
1).Correct. Wonderful is right. Though in the American order of things behind the NFL, College Football, High School Football, NBA, College B'ball.
2).Not much of a market: 21,000 per home game.
3).But no other nations pay their players a fraction of this sort of bounty. He'll probably end up using PED's, just like his predecessor as highest paid.
Ridiculous money!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 16 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:21 pm

In other news, anyone know of a good, reliable and cheap taxi transfer service Gatwick to Heathrow (and back) as BA have kindly ditched my Gatwick Vegas flight in April leaving me on the Heathrow one.

Have googled and have the options that came up, just if anyone knows/uses/rates one it might be better than a gooooogle guess.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 16 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:31 pm

Why not just go straight to Heathrow?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Roller,
Do they still run a helicopter service from LHR to LGW? Much quicker, interesting flight and not much more expensive - at least, it used to be . . . . . .
Otherwise, can't believe BA wouldn't rebook you.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Forecast for the Middle East: Today sunni, tomorrow shiite.

I'll get my coat... Run

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:57 pm

pedro wrote:Forecast for the Middle East: Today sunni, tomorrow shiite.

I'll get my coat... Run

That (and this might say a lot more about me) is brilliant. Laugh

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:59 pm

McLaren wrote:Why not just go straight to Heathrow?

I will, from Gatwick. Very Happy

I can't fly directly to Heathrow and had my flights to & from Gatwick already booked.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:10 pm

I see, I assumed you lived near london. Sorry.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:21 pm

No probs.

No, Unfortunately I have to fly in to London and could only do City or Gatwick. The latter was significantly cheaper and my onward flight was from Gatwick until it was bumped.

BA could either take me to Vegas from Gatwick the next/previous day (which threw out hotels, my overnight and my Home/Gatwick flights that were all booked and non-refundable) or take me same days as originally booked but from Heathrow. I took the Heathrow so it tied in with my other bookings.

Looked at national express and the return journey for 2 people is £100 (with flexible ticket) and it seems possible to do it for roughly about the same by car, but don't know of a decent company.

Kwin - the "scheduled" jellybopter service seems to have ended in 1986 according to Wiki, possibly in sympathy with Big Jack's final major. I would have considered that but now it'd be a private hire job and cost thousands. Maybe on the way back if I actually hit the Vegas tables (although I won't!)

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:27 pm

Roller,
You're showing my age - but that service used to be the business. As did the one from the roof of the PanAm building to JFK until service was stopped, if I remember rightly, because a chopper fell off the building!
Have you tried someone like Avis? Assume they'd gouge a drop-off charge but you never know. Car rental here very inexpensive but I know costs there are double or triple. Worth having a look around their site though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:37 pm

Hire car's a thought Kwin. Most likely subject to a CBA levy for self drive (ie Can't Be Ar5ed)

Would be good if it still went. Looked at the wiki and it seemed to me that the tories didn't like it (???) possibly as it might impact the very expensive M25 they built.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:34 am

So, the drearyness of ET Woods' media appearances or the pointless obstructivesness of Marshawn Lynch (some kind of American Footballist)?

I'm just here so I don't get fined
You know why I'm here

I prefer the kind of "F**k you media and f**k you NFL for fining me" approach. Bit childish, but on the plus side we don't have to hear from him and the media will be getting annoyed. Win-win if you ask me.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:53 am

Rugby coach Brendan Venter did something similar a few years ago. Was pretty funny.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:05 pm

Given the propensity for mis-construed comments and the subsequent furore in the media I'm surprised that any individual can be contractually obliged to speak to the hacks just for playing for a club that competes in a league.

I'm amazed it (or something similar) doesn't happen more often

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:22 pm

The recent Cumberbatch comments being a prime example. Using "coloured" wasn't the smartest thing anyone has ever done, but why couldn't the media and those on the unthinking left not focus on the message about lack of non-whites in the UK TV and movie industry?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:29 pm

Non-whites? Isn't that racist? You imply that by being anything other than white a person is somehow different. Wink

It makes me laugh how poor old Bendydick Cumonherback gets absolutely slaughtered for using the term, but it's reported directly. Had he used the 'n word', they'd have danced all around it but the media seem quite happy to say/print 'coloured', but cane him for using it.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:I'm surprised that any individual can be contractually obliged to speak to the hacks just for playing for a club that competes in a league.

That's the trade off for the mega bucks the clubs receive.
If you really want to know how some organisations spell it out CLICK HERE to go to the UEFA regs, select the Champions League, THEN go to just one aspect - the camera positions at a match - to see how detailed they are.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:32 am

Hey Kwini, folks.
Friday Funnies, This is what happens when you install voice recognition software in a lift (elevator) in Scotland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAz_UvnUeuU

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:42 pm

Very good B_t_b,

It's not that "they" don't understand the words that I say here, just have to explain the meanings. Especially b0ll0cks and p1ll0ck!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:03 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Very good B_t_b,

It's not that "they" don't understand the words that I say here, just have to explain the meanings. Especially b0ll0cks and p1ll0ck!

Laugh

We got a great laugh in the office here looking at that... I just hope a Geordie never gets into one, last thing on a Friday, of a bank holiday weekend... steam

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:50 am

Stephen Fry on God.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/stephen-fry-god-is-evil-capricious-and-monstrous-1.2086919
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:14 am

incontinentia wrote:Stephen Fry on God.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/stephen-fry-god-is-evil-capricious-and-monstrous-1.2086919
I think we have revealed super_realist's real idendity.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:17 am

pedro wrote:

No Stephen Fry is witty and funny.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:24 am

pedro wrote:

Laugh Thats what I thought, same scathing style.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:48 am

Link to BBC article on - Aberdeen here

Although apparently it climbs the ranking every Sunday when Super nips down the road to slag off the Old Course and avoid christenings.

Erm

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:57 pm

Is that super with the Norway hat on?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:21 pm

Norrr wayyyyyyy

(in a kind of scottish accent)

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:33 pm

pedro wrote:Is that super with the Norway hat on?
Unlikely, the guy in the hat is smiling! Run
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:16 pm

s_r is back from America:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/one-brit-discovers-why-americans-are-so-fat-2015-02-04?link=MW_popular

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:22 pm

s_r is back from America:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/one-brit-discovers-why-americans-are-so-fat-2015-02-04?link=MW_popular

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:03 pm

Here is an entry form for the Lido prize which is a competition involving the design of a golf hole based on the principles of Dr Mac. I have had some fun entering this in the past and thought I would bring it to your attention.

http://www.golfdigest.com/images/golfworld/2015-02/golfworld-2015-lido-competition.pdf

My drawing and computer aided design skills are pretty poor so my entry always looks like a primary school kids, but it is fun challenging yourself to think about it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Desperado

I am no cosmologist but an understanding of how the scientific method works and the peer review process gives me good reason to believe the big bang happened. Sure there are details not yet understood but that does not mean we don't understand a lot of what went on.

The evidence is based around the following areas;

The observed expansion of the universe
The observed cosmic microwave background radiation and its an anisotropies
The observed ratios of elements left over from the early universe
Simulations involving galaxy formation
The many measurements (most of which have nothing to do with cosmology) that show that dark matter is real and isn't a "fudge factor" (as some alternative theorists and creationists claim)

And remember this is not a theory of the initial conditions of the first cause of the universe but a description of what happened to the universe from its hot dense beginning to what we see now.

I cannot set out all the detail but searching for some of the terms above and checking the academic literature you will find enough to believe that the big bang happened.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Desperado Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:50 pm

I will confess I haven't read as extensively on this as you appear to, and won't profess to know more than I do, but my understanding is that it is still referred to as a "theory" and therefore presumably at least part of it is not proveable, but relies on a degree of supposition. That does not mean it is not true or didn't happen, merely that it is a possible explanation of what may have happened. As exploration of the universe increases, knowledge and understanding increases with it, and some theories or parts thereof may be discarded or amended. I was really being obtuse in asking for proof of something that is physically impossible to prove, without relying on scientific models, theories and supposition.

Desperado

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:54 pm

FFS, please tell me you aren't one of those its only a theory people?

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uzsuCFUQ68

Although I think you get it and were just being awkward. If so, it is an interesting 3 minutes anyhow.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Desperado Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:27 pm

I am quite sure parts of the big bang theory are accurate and based on more than supposition, but I understand that there is a great deal of it that requires a slight leap of faith to regard it as fact. Life would be terribly boring if every single thing out there could be explained away and proved beyond any reasonable doubt!

Desperado

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:04 pm

Desperado wrote:I will confess I haven't read as extensively on this as you appear to, and won't profess to know more than I do, but my understanding is that it is still referred to as a "theory" and therefore presumably at least part of it is not proveable, but relies on a degree of supposition. That does not mean it is not true or didn't happen, merely that it is a possible explanation of what may have happened. As exploration of the universe increases, knowledge and understanding increases with it, and some theories or parts thereof may be discarded or amended. I was really being obtuse in asking for proof of something that is physically impossible to prove, without relying on scientific models, theories and supposition.

Come on Desperado, you do know the difference between a theory as in "i have a theory why Dundee are rubbish" to a scientific theory don't you?

For the record, there is nothing in Science which uses faith.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Desperado Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:41 pm

Are you meaning Dundee as in the football team or Dundee as in the city? Wink

And I'm not suggesting that fait is involved in science, just that there are areas of science and research where not everything can be "proved" - the word theory presumably wasn't used by accident

Desperado

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:55 pm

Theory has two usages, sounds like you're confusing the uses

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:04 pm

Super

You will like this, I saw it via a tweet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31451974
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:32 pm

Mac- you'll be happy to hear that St. Andrews accepted their first female members this week. Good to see the patriarchal grip being loosened.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:48 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

God dont mac.

Fair play to him.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:25 pm

BBC sport have a habit of changing their pages after they first publish them .. so not sure what part of that link is being discussed. The "not playing on Sunday" bit? I seem to recall he made that stand at the last RWC but wasn't good enough to make the Sunday team anyway. Perhaps he wasn't praying hard enough

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:14 pm

Murray's been well known for that for years. If I was another member of the team, I'd be quietly very annoyed.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:24 am

Imagine if Messi wouldn't play in a World Cup final on a Sunday. How many majors would Tiger Woods or Roger Federer have if they refused to play on a Sunday?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:06 pm

Football just hasn't been the same since they stopped the traditional Christmas Day fixture. Run
My team always had to find a replacement for Phil Gunter as he was a Sunday School teacher and refused to play on a "religious" holiday!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:06 am

westisbest wrote:
McLaren wrote:Super

God dont mac.

Fair play to him.

I've heard of this moron before. I think Jonathan Edwards used to be the same until he realised what a colossal idiot he was by believing in a stone age book and an invisible celestial self resurrecting incest loving jewish sky zombie.

Imagine if any of us decided we couldn't go to work on a monday because the Flying Spaghetti Monster said we couldn't work on a monday. If I was the manager/coach, I wouldn't pick him at all.

"Working" on a Sunday doesn't appear to bother the bible bashing golfers interestingly.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:29 am

Because they have a special exemption card (worked out in direct talks with Mr Finchem on the Heaven Hotline).

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:48 am

A good christian golfer would miss the cut every week so they could go to church

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:40 am

No work on a monday,lets get this flying spaghetti monster in charge.

Sounds like a great bloke OK

In fairness its Murray's choice. I'll respect him for that.

Thing for him is though if the guy coming in has a great game, he lose his spot.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:28 pm

westisbest wrote:No work on a monday,lets get this flying spaghetti monster in charge.

Sounds like a great bloke OK

In fairness its Murray's choice. I'll respect him for that.

Thing for him is though if the guy coming in has a great game, he lose his spot.

Respect him for what? Being gullible? Being naive? Being suggestible? Not caring whether his beliefs are true? Curtailing his career for something indistinguishable from a fairy tale?

I'd prefer to ridicule him, as there is nothing remotely respectable about believing what he does.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:35 pm

Im sure you would but i'm not as sad as you.

Give it a rest. You don't like religion, totally fine.

But man you have a stick up your a55 about it.

Im not a fan either, but i don't need to go on about it at every opportunity.

Rather you get wound up about it then me.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next