The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wine

+11
Marlonz
rIck_dAgless
incontinentia
Galted
Rowley
superflyweight
kingraf
seanmichaels
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
Adam D
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wine  - Page 2 Empty Wine

Post by Adam D Sat 22 Nov 2014 - 20:20

First topic message reminder :

Just cracking into a Californian Chardonnay. Not my usual tipple but very nice indeed.

Half price in Tescos at the moment - Robert Mondavi. £13 down to £6.49.

Very mellow and tasted of vanilla. That sounds so pretentious!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Wine  - Page 2 Empty Re: Wine

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 27 Nov 2014 - 12:10

Derbymanc wrote:Sainsbury's Soave or Pinot Grigio, both spot on and cheapish and they come in bigger bottles.

You like Italian wine.............I think it's cheap and nasty s**te...............But it's all about taste........Frascati has got to be the worst..

I know Amanda Knox agrees with me !!

Did a bit of wine tasting some years ago when we stayed in Alsace...We crossed over into Germany to Baden-Baden to check the local wines there too............

Two weeks and nothing that caught my fancy............Apart from a nice french farm girl ..........But my Wife doesn't do three in a bed......and we'd left the camcorder at home !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 27 Nov 2014 - 12:34

nobody mentioning Bordeaux yet? Sad

OK I'll admit I'm biased as I've been living there for the past four years, but for me you really can't beat a nice Bordeaux Red. I am particularly fond of St Estèphe (left bank, in the Médoc area). While the top top Bordeaux wines tend to be pricey, you can get some lovely bottles for about 30 euros, and some very nice ones for half that or less (obviously more expensive if you're buying from outside Bordeaux). A good tip is to go for the second (or even third) wines of some of the bigger Châteaux: they'll be more affordable and generally very nice indeed. For instance Château Giscours (a Margaux) would go for about 60 euros per bottle, whereas their second wine goes for about 20 (and their third, which in an Haut-Médoc for a little less).

Obviously Bordeaux is also known for its sweet whites, particularly Sauternes. For what it's worth I've never actually bought a Sauternes, which tend to be pricey, but you can get some nice sweet whites such as Loupiac, Barsac at much better value.

Also worth mentioning that Bordeaux has some very pleasant dry white wines too, particularly those from the Pessac-Leognan region. Bouscault, La Louvière and Coucheroy for instance are all perfectly affordable and very satisfying.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 27 Nov 2014 - 15:50

Thought you knew I was cheap and nasty too Truss ;-)

Since we started making our own I don't tend to buy much anymore but them 2 and a decent Rose are always a good start (My favourite Rose I haven't had for a while but it comes in what looks like a vase , Paul something or other.)

Worst wine we've had is Franzia, absolutely manky stuff eeeurgh.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 27 Nov 2014 - 17:19

As long as the wines red, nice label, dent (or punt to the gentry) in the bottom and costs roundabout a fiver. I'll sup it...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 28 Nov 2014 - 9:44

Cusumano wine produced in Sicily is top notch. In fact most italian wine is good from the small local producers.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Nov 2014 - 11:58

Regarding Italy....Only been to Venice where I tried a couple of bottles of Soave.......

Rather drink P**s..........Nasty edge to Italian wine..........

Say it again New World wines have a more suitable climate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 28 Nov 2014 - 12:00

Had a red from Texas last night. Was drinkable but wouldn't really recommend it unless there were Texans eavesdropping.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Nov 2014 - 12:02

I've been having a red for 27 years........Has a good design..Full bodied...But once you let it breathe and indulge.....It flatters to deceive !!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 28 Nov 2014 - 12:07

I think Italy is the largest producer of wine in the world now. It certainly was a couple of years ago.

Have you tried Gavi di Gavi, Beefcake? That might change your mind about Italian wine.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Nov 2014 - 12:15

Been given 4 1/2 out 5 stars average in 61 reviews.......Sounds good.

I'll give it a go Mate.....

I know Hugh Jackman swears by it !! Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 28 Nov 2014 - 12:18

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Been given 4 1/2 out 5 stars average in 61 reviews.......Sounds good.

I'll give it a go Mate.....

I know Hugh Jackman swears by it !! Wink

Hugh Jackman is a c*nt.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2014 - 12:25

Galted wrote:Had a red from Texas last night.  Was drinkable but wouldn't really recommend it unless there were Texans eavesdropping.
Wondered where that post was going for a second, sadly (and boringly) it stayed on topic

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 28 Nov 2014 - 19:37

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Regarding Italy....Only been to Venice where I tried a couple of bottles of Soave.......

Rather drink P**s..........Nasty edge to Italian wine..........

Say it again New World wines have a more suitable climate..

To be fair its difficult to find anything authentically Italian in Venice, it's usually cheap imitations served up for the tourists.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 28 Nov 2014 - 19:53

Your showing your snobby self there Truss Smile

Another half decent cheap Rose is Paul Massons. All you ever need is one decent bottle anyhow, the ones after that become kind of a blur

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2