The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phillip Hughes Dies - RIP

+25
Hammersmith harrier
aucklandlaurie
Stella
bedfordwelsh
freemo
msp83
Mat
Mike Selig
Good Golly I'm Olly
thegooch7
JDizzle
Gerry SA
TightHEAD
guildfordbat
westisbest
VTR
Biltong
LondonTiger
KP_fan
Duty281
seanmichaels
GSC
Marky
kingraf
Pal Joey
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Phillip Hughes Dies - RIP Empty Phillip Hughes Dies - RIP

Post by Pal Joey Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:43 am

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/phillip-hughes-dead-australian-cricketer-dies-after-bouncer-at-scg-20141127-11vcpt.html

Phillip Hughes died this afternoon as a result of the injury he sustained after being struck by a ball on Tuesday afternoon.
Tragic news.  I'm sure our thoughts and prayers are with the Hughes family and also young Sean Abbott.

As an Australian, I feel he was one of the few cricketers I really liked - so talented and yet so kind and humble towards others.

So sad... I'm at a loss for words.

The overwhelming support for him all over the world in the last few days is so greatly appreciated and something we will never forget.
On behalf of my fellow Australians I would like to thank them for their deep concern and kind words.

R.I.P. Phil.  rose
We will miss you very much.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Phillip Hughes Dies - RIP Empty Re: Phillip Hughes Dies - RIP

Post by kingraf Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:56 am

Yeah I just seen. That is a shock. The hit looked bad of course, but not much worse than the one which Johnson tagged Mclaren with when your boys were here. Will never forget the twin hundreds he scored against us in 2008/09, bordered on ridiculous. Always difficult for a sport to make decisions when the worst comes to worst. Difficult to imagine how they'll make/adapt protection which protects that area of the head without restricting movement, and by definition actually making the batter more likely to get tagged. Something must be done of course, as he's the second cricketer to die from a bumper bashing in two years. Thoughts are with his family during this tough time. And the bowler who hit him, must be a heavy burden to carry.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:01 am

CA will be holding a Press Conference here shortly.

Non-stop images of inconsolable players leaving the hospital at the moment. One lady reporter unable to finish her live report.

We are all in such massive shock.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:22 am

Its just incredibly tragic. Thoughts to Phil's close friends and family obviously but also to Sean Abbott, the bowler who's got to live with this for the rest of his life.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:44 am

Absolutely stunning.

RIP
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:59 am

Not been moved by something like this for a long time. No words.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:06 am

I just feel numb. Only twenty-five years old and in the prime of his life.

Rest in peace.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:12 am

Oh my God.
Shattering news. Makes cricket look so small and inconsequential.

May he Rest In Peace
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:33 am

Sometimes words can never be enough. My thoughts go out to Hughes' family and friends and especially to Sean Abbott. I so hope he can find a way to get beyond this.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:57 am

It is hard to find the right words. It is a freak accident that takes the life of a young man, I suppose there are many freak accidents that claim the lives of many young people.

But as sports lovers it becomes public domain when someone we all know and respect for their abilities to entertain us passes away.

Spare a thought for Sean Abbott, no matter how much support he gets from friends, family and CA, this must be as hard on him as on Hughes family.

It isn't supposed to happen like that.

My thoughts are with them all on this tragic day.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:48 am

Just unbelievable.

Absolutely tragic. Thoughts and condolances to the Hughes family and also Sean Abbott.

Just a loss for words really.

RIP Phil Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:16 am

Awful and really upsetting news - I hadn't considered that he wouldn't pull through.

The world will remember a very talented batsman, who burst onto the scene with those incredible twin hundreds against the best attack in the world at the time.

Thoughts are with his family and poor Sean Abbott

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:21 am

Very sad, not a big fan of cricket, but heard he was very talented and also a very nice guy.

So young to.
RIP.

Sad time for Sean Abbott too.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:39 am

It is horribly ironic that on the same day that cricket in this country is due to look forward to the future with the publication of next season's fixtures a young player's life has ended so prematurely.

Dreadfully sad.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:41 am

Sad, sad news. RIP and echo the sentiments re Sean Abbott

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:24 am

Dreadful news for all involved, my thoughts go out to his Family, Friends and the world of cricket at this sad time.

TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:38 am

guildfordbat wrote:It is horribly ironic that on the same day that cricket in this country is due to look forward to the future with the publication of next season's fixtures a young player's life has ended so prematurely.

Dreadfully sad.

Appropriately the ECB have now postponed today's planned announcement of domestic fixtures for the 2015 season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:43 am

Tragic, freak accident has taken one of the great young players from us today. 

Phillip Hughes was one of those players who put a smile on my face whenever he was batting at his best. 

IMO he was gonna be a superstar. Fate decided that wasn't meant to be. I was looking forward to the day when Phil and Warner put on a clinic. It wasn't meant to be. 

R.I.P. Little Phil #63NotOut

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:48 am

Can't believe he hasn't pulled through. I mean, I knew it was serious but it just never crossed my mind that he wouldn't make it. I didn't really want to consider it. RIP Phillip Hughes, hope you're carrying on your innings in a better place.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:54 am

Rest In Peace Phil

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:02 am

Nice piece

http://dennisdoescricket.com/63-not/

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:05 am

Reading up on the injury he suffered, seems a compete freak injury and the doctors and medical staff did an amazing job to save his life on the cricket ground to even give him a chance.

Just a horrible accident, tragic that a young life is taken like this. I just hope others around him and the poor bowler can stay strong

RIP
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:52 am

seanmichaels wrote:Nice piece

http://dennisdoescricket.com/63-not/

Thanks, Sean. That's good. All from our family of world cricket should appreciate it.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:28 pm

Lost for words. RIP. Thoughts to his friends and family, and everyone who was at the ground when it happened, not least Sean Abbott.

We must never forget that a cricket ball travelling at significant speed can cause a lot of damage. The modern helmet is a compromise between trying to stop as much of this damage as possible and allowing the batsman to perform as best he can. Cricket is not unique in this dichotomy: if you look at a number of martial arts, not least fencing you will find the same sort of dilemma - the kit has to allow the sport to be safe, but not restrict the movements of the participants unduly.

Today is a stark reminder that sports people regularly put their bodies on the line in pursuit of their ambitions, and for our entertainment.

As for the consequences, we mustn't be too hasty to rush into judgements. Looking at the way helmets are manufactured, strengthening the safety norms across all makes, making the wearing of helmets compulsory (although the irony of course is that Hughes was wearing one), etc. these will and should all be considered and looked at coldly and analytically, rather than in the heat of the moment.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:43 pm

When I woke up and saw the news on Twitter, I couldn't believe it. I thought he was going to pull through, to find out he had had passed away was shocking and completely devastating. It really hit me hard to be honest. Been sat on a train this morning and all I could think about was this, hope no-one minds but I'd like to write down some of the thoughts that were going through my head.

First and foremost, I thought Phil Hughes was a fantastic cricketer. I absolutely loved watching him bat and to get to watch him for an entire season when he came to Worcestershire was unbelievable. It wasn't just his style that I liked, but his determination, you couldn't help but want him to succeed. Not for the good of your team but for himself. He took a lot of stick but you could just see how determined he was to prove the doubters wrong. And he was starting to do so until this tragedy.

I can't pretend that I knew him or anything like that, but in the season he had at New Road, you could just tell what a genuine, down-to-earth, nice bloke he was. After every game, he'd happily sign autographs for anyone who wanted one, he'd chat to the kids after the game and all the other things that some professional sportsmen seem to feel is a chore, but he enjoyed it. He was incredibly popular with everyone at Worcestershire, and you could see that by the reception he go when Australia had a warm-up game at New Road. I've heard seen an opposition batsman's runs get cheered so much!

There's one story I do have that shows he was just a normal guy living out his dream. I'd come back from Uni and I got picked up from the train station. Worcestershire had been playing, in fact I think we won(unbelievable I know!) and as we were going over the bridge, I saw Phil Hughes and Mitchell walking towards town in their club gear, presumably for a few beers to celebrate. Now it was a pretty hot day so the window was wound down, and without thinking I started to chant "Hughesy! Hughesy!" Instead of ignoring the idiot in the car chanting, he gave me a thumbs up and had that big smile on his face as he did so. It absolutely made my day.

It really is sickening that the world of cricket has lost Phil Hughes at such a young age. It's tragic loss for cricket, but more so for his friends and family and my prayers are with them today. Worcestershire as a county was united in pride yesterday at what Moeen did, today it's united in grief.

RIP Phillip Hughes. Forever not out.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:13 pm

That's an excellent and very moving post Mat

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:30 pm

VTR wrote:That's an excellent and very moving post Mat

Totally agree. Thanks, Mat.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:18 pm

A very sad day for the game and everyone who love it. RIP Hughes.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:32 pm

still in complete shock... RIP Phil Hughes thoughts go to friends and family.

also thoughts with Sean Abbott

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:22 pm

Just stepping over the the egg chasers board to pass on my condolances and sympathy to all concerned and also my thoughts to Abbott as well.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:12 pm

http://www.cricket.com.au/video/adam-goldfinch-video-tribute-to-phillip-hughes/2014-11-28

A tribute from the cricket Australia website.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:20 pm

It sounds like Phil Hughes was above all a top bloke, as well as being a good Cricketer. A tragic accident if there ever was one. Best wishes to his family and Abbot.

rip
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:28 pm

Very moving piece, Olly and it shows what a nice down to earth bloke he was.

After the dark overcast skies of the last few days I can tell you it's a perfect blue sky here this morning.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:52 pm

Tell us what you really thought of the piece LD? You've only said it four times Wink

Had a cry about this a couple hours ago. Not waterworks stuff, but there were a few years. I'm not really sure why, as I've never really cried at the death of someone who doesn't even know I exist before, but this felt different. Before my body rebelled, I used to be an avid jogger, and every night when I hit the streets, I used to greet all the fellow joggers hitting the road. I once told a mate that it was like by being a jogger, I got immediate acceptance into a big, secret joggers' club. I think to a large degree, it's the same here. I might never have met him, but I know the feeling of not being able to buy a run. I know the pain of being able to stop yourself from playing a stupid shot (coincidentally, mine was also the cut). It's as if donning the gloves and helmet makes us all a brotherhood. We all know the risks involved in playing the game, never death of course, but we understand the bravery needed to stand up to 90mph bumpers. Quite a few sports speak about "bravery", sometimes it's coming back from match point down, others it's scoring a goal near the death. But there's a courage in facing up to real pace which is intangible. In boxing, yes, the opposition can hurt you, but you can hurt them back. As a batsman, the bowler can still hurt you, and your only recourse is the possible moral victory of having seen him off.
Watching him continually get up and continue to knock down the door that was success in test cricket was something which I think captivated a lot of people for whatever reason. I think he just had the personality of a person you'd hope to see succeed? In any case, I'm a little glad I took cricket off this year, as I'm not sure I'd be able to continue without a bit of fear.

Hopefully CA can turn this summer into a celebration of his life. Maybe get the crowd to give an ovation whenever the scoreboard reads "63"? Maybe continue it into the Australian Open, and do the same for any set which ends 6-3?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:04 pm

I left the machine on overnight and as I went to send the post I got the "page not found" (or whatever message that says)... so I pressed F5 three times in a panic. Should be gone now.

Yes, I was the same yesterday afternoon.
Some tears trickled down my cheek but I was still in shock. I was sort of blocked if you know what I mean.
Then, later in the evening, as more and more footage of Phil was shown... I had another couple of cries.
The last time I cried like that was when the old man died.

There was so much on him yesterday both on TV and on talkback radio. People completely in shock and breaking down on air.

There have been so many suggestions. So many interesting facts, figures and anecdotes about the guy.

The one I liked is that the player of the match for all Shield matches receive the Phillip Hughes award and also all future NSW-South Australia matches play for The Phil Hughes Trophy.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:27 pm

Just seen the tribute and don't mind saying I haven't cried like that since I found out my old man was ill. Beautiful video and seemingly a cracking man. God I wish all those people who know him any solace they can take. So unfair.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:21 pm

Sometimes events bring out the best of people,a nation and its media.

I was most impressed with front and back pages of The Daily Telegraph.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/cricket/our-special-tribute-to-phillip-hughes-the-macksville-marvel/story-fni2fnmo-1227137589307

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:25 pm

Maybe I didnt explain that very well, the backpage is the one on the left (black) and front page is the one on the right.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:50 pm

The Loaded Dog wrote:I left the machine on overnight and as I went to send the post I got the "page not found" (or whatever message that says)... so I pressed F5 three times in a panic. Should be gone now.

Yes, I was the same yesterday afternoon.
Some tears trickled down my cheek but I was still in shock. I was sort of blocked if you know what I mean.
Then, later in the evening, as more and more footage of Phil was shown... I had another couple of cries.
The last time I cried like that was when the old man died.

There was so much on him yesterday both on TV and on talkback radio. People completely in shock and breaking down on air.

There have been so many suggestions. So many interesting facts, figures and anecdotes about the guy.

The one I liked is that the player of the match for all Shield matches receive the Phillip Hughes award and also all future NSW-South Australia matches play for The Phil Hughes Trophy.

Hi Loaded Dog - yes, incredibly upsetting. If there is anything positive to come out of this tragedy (and, if so, it's clearly miniscule in comparison), it has to be that it has brought so many people together. Just look at this thread. So many excellent sincere posts including contributions from some who normally never venture onto the cricket part of this forum. I feel the sporting world is pretty much united right now and I would guess that comment also applies to the whole of Australia.

I genuinely like the suggestion you favour so as to continually honour the memory of Phillip Hughes. Just a word of caution though. However unlikely it seems now, there will come a time when all the others involved in Hughes' last match will need to move on. Accordingly, I would question whether playing for a Phil Hughes trophy or award will help those players (Abbott obviously but all the others including the batsman at the other end whose mind must be a mix of confusing emotions) and the umpires (don't forget them) do that.

None of the above means for a split second that Hughes shouldn't be remembered. I just think the implications of what is to be done needs to be very carefully considered.

I base a lot of the above upon what happened at Surrey when Tom Maynard was killed in tragic circumstances over two years ago. In the months that followed Tom's death, there were continual references by the Club to Tom. It seemed as if not to do so would be disrespectful to him. Whilst this was clearly well intentioned, it appeared to adversely affect some of the players as they tried to readjust to him no longer being there - not just their form on the field but more concerningly their mental make up.

In the Maynard case, Surrey with Tom's family ended up establishing a charitable trust in his name for youngsters. That ensures good work continues to be done and his name remembered.

Whatever is decided in respect of Phil Hughes, I hope it is a success for all. He deserves that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:06 pm

RIP Philip Hughes

Still in shock at it now, you just don't expect something like this to happen in Cricket, it has happened before of course but not so publicly to a high profile player. Thoughts also go to Sean Abbott, I cannot comprehend what is going through that young mans mind, bowls an innocuous ball that has such tragic consequences.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:51 pm

Such sad news. RIP Philip Hughes

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:19 am

Cricket bats everywhere in windows (of shopfronts and houses) here today.
Some amazing emotion out there. It's feels very unifying.... it goes beyond cricket even.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:49 am

I am touched by the sincerity and depth of emotions on display in Aus and worldwide.
I am afraid though that there are signs of trying to "hold on" to the moment and bring a stand still in grief..

I can understand that.....
BUT a positive way to commemorate the life and times of Phil Hughes is to move on.....let life and cricket flow in his remembrance. That's what he would have liked too....I am sure
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:58 am

Yes, I'm sure he would have liked that, KP_f but it's only less than 30 hours after the sad news.
We will all move on but it's important to have this day to commemorate his short life. It's a very important part of the healing process. The country is still reeling in shock in a very big way.

We should also appreciate the Indian cricket team/management's generous sympathy towards our loss as well. It's not easy for them either and it is affecting their preparation for the next Test match (whenever that will be) as well.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:08 am

^yes my friend you are right:OK: ......it's easier for me sitting much further away to start " lets  move and cherish Phil thought" already.
Those closer will take a bit of healing time to come to it
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:13 am

KP-f and Loaded Dog - it is natural and understandable that there is currently a unity and stand still in grief. Following the funeral though and whilst still endeavouring to mark the contribution made by Phil Hughes, everyone will need to move on. It would be unhealthy for them not to do so That's the point I was trying to make in my post last night about the lingering adverse effect of Tom Maynard's death upon some at Surrey.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:00 am

guildfordbat wrote:KP-f and Loaded Dog - it is natural and understandable that there is currently a unity and stand still in grief. Following the funeral though and whilst still endeavouring to mark the contribution made by Phil Hughes, everyone will need to move on. It would be unhealthy for them not to do so That's the point I was trying to make in my post last night about the lingering adverse effect of Tom Maynard's death upon some at Surrey.

Of course, Guildford.
You make a very pertinent point. I totally agree with your advice and sentiments though. I'm just saying it's very early days still.

Rest assured that players, friends and all members of Phil's family are receiving all the best possible support and comfort  - similar to what happened after the sad loss of Tom Maynard. However, as we are all complex beings of varying emotional sensitivities, some people will "recover" better than others. Others will most likely struggle. It's still too early to predict how people will cope in the coming days, months and years.

At the moment there is just an immense outpouring of grief and along with that are the numerous suggestions as to the best way in which we should go forward. For some, certain ideas are very unlikely to eventuate... but it is still OK to suggest a possible idea... it's just their way of dealing with the situation as it stands - so is therefore perfectly legitimate (and dare I say necessary) for that particular person. It's a good time to practice listening to others.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:56 am

Delayed coming on to this as to be honest I just didn't have the words to express my feelings ...still don't.
To Phil's family , friends and teammates I have just overwhelming sympathy. Can only hope the young man whose bowling was the cause of this tragic accident is not irrevocably scarred. But really there is nothing one can say that will help.
Our club coach - himself a former international - spoke movingly at training last night , to what was an unusually subdued gathering of (mainly young ) men. The game will go on ; but I must admit that the prospect of Saturday's match is less joyful than usual , for me at least. I understand some thought was given to calling off the round. But not sure that would have been a good idea. At some point everyone will , in their own time , have to move on.
We will play , after appropriate pre-game minutes of silence. And we will I'm sure all be thinking of this young man whose life was so tragically cut short.
Appreciate the universal sentiments expressed on here and elsewhere from cricket peoples all around the world. I think Phil would have liked that.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:02 am

Luckily we have a recess. Don't think I'd be able to coach my kids with any degree of authority so soon. How does one encourage a batter to pull, or a bowler to dig it in after this? I have a young left armer, a mini Mitchell Johnson, who has been basically trying to break ribs the whole season, and it's been wildly successful, has a national u-17 week comíng up. I'm not sure what he's gonna do now. This has quite literally shook cricket to its very foundations
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:20 am

It is hard , raf.  At the level I now play , we often have very young lads playing with the seniors , something I always welcome.  And we are very safety conscious of course. But this week I find myself wondering if all of the parents will be entirely happy allowing their kids to go up against adults in the afternoon. And what I will do with our batting order if the opponents have a quickish bowler in their midst...
This accident was a freak , of course.  And in truth cricket is probably safer than cycling to school.  But it is difficult to take that logical view right now.

Edit : Maybe this better moved to the other thread , LD ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next