The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

+67
Dr Shoe
gw
wisden
Hero
mikey_dragon
greengoblin
Alistair
Holymiky
Blade
Enforcer
hornbloweroafc
ShockmasterV2
Hammersmith harrier
profitius
MichaelT
Jermaine2015
GeordieFalcon
Knowsit17
President Trump
jimmyinthewell68
Hoggy_Bear
MIG
SecretFly
Simon West
Azzy
ONETWOFOREVER
dummy_half
compelling and rich
lfc91
RinoGattuso
bluestonevedder
Mind the windows Tino.
SirJohnnyEnglish
RuggerRadge2611
nadeem2099
Dr Gregory House MD
Nakatomi Plaza
The Beast
The_Enigma
hampo17
Bull
kingraf
Gwlad
trottb
Rowley
guildfordbat
Duty281
westisbest
Ent
JDizzle
Mike Selig
superflyweight
Breadvan
Crimey
The Saint
Mad for Chelsea
Soldier_Of_Fortune
seanmichaels
Galted
rIck_dAgless
TRUSSMAN66
Mr Bounce
Derbymanc
Stella
Pete330v2
incontinentia
Adam D
71 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Adam D Sat 01 Nov 2014, 9:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Quite enjoyed rec 3 although it's not really much to do with the first 2 films.

If it had been a standalone film, I think the critical response would have been better. For me it was really entertaining.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Posts : 23684
Join date : 2011-01-24
Age : 48
Location : Parts Unknown

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down


The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by dummy_half Wed 28 Jan 2015, 2:59 pm

The Saint wrote:I couldn't agree with you all more.... cept you dummy_half. I bet you've never even seen Dreamers!

Now, why would I watch a film in which Eva Green hardly troubles the wardrobe department? Wink

Back on topic, I watched the first half of 'We Were Soldiers' the other day (seen it before, but am currently spending a lot of time awake looking after my 3 week old daughter)- very good and somewhat overlooked film, possibly the last good thing Mel Gibson did.

dummy_half

Posts : 5427
Join date : 2011-03-11
Age : 49
Location : East Hertfordshire

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:20 pm

dummy_half wrote:
The Saint wrote:I couldn't agree with you all more.... cept you dummy_half. I bet you've never even seen Dreamers!

Now, why would I watch a film in which Eva Green hardly troubles the wardrobe department?  Wink

Back on topic, I watched the first half of 'We Were Soldiers' the other day (seen it before, but am currently spending a lot of time awake looking after my 3 week old daughter)- very good and somewhat overlooked film, possibly the last good thing Mel Gibson did.
You mean quite apart from the fact that Gibson is about 30 years older than the character he's playing...bit like the Bobby Darin biopic Kevin Spacey did called "Under the Sea" where he's far too old as well?


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by superflyweight Wed 28 Jan 2015, 4:12 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
dummy_half wrote:
The Saint wrote:I couldn't agree with you all more.... cept you dummy_half. I bet you've never even seen Dreamers!

Now, why would I watch a film in which Eva Green hardly troubles the wardrobe department?  Wink

Back on topic, I watched the first half of 'We Were Soldiers' the other day (seen it before, but am currently spending a lot of time awake looking after my 3 week old daughter)- very good and somewhat overlooked film, possibly the last good thing Mel Gibson did.
You mean quite apart from the fact that Gibson is about 30 years older than the character he's playing...bit like the Bobby Darin biopic Kevin Spacey did called "Under the Sea" where he's far too old as well?


Yeah, but water speeds up the decomposition process so Spacey was spot on.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Posts : 7624
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 4:36 pm

superflyweight wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
dummy_half wrote:
The Saint wrote:I couldn't agree with you all more.... cept you dummy_half. I bet you've never even seen Dreamers!

Now, why would I watch a film in which Eva Green hardly troubles the wardrobe department?  Wink

Back on topic, I watched the first half of 'We Were Soldiers' the other day (seen it before, but am currently spending a lot of time awake looking after my 3 week old daughter)- very good and somewhat overlooked film, possibly the last good thing Mel Gibson did.
You mean quite apart from the fact that Gibson is about 30 years older than the character he's playing...bit like the Bobby Darin biopic Kevin Spacey did called "Under the Sea" where he's far too old as well?


Yeah, but water speeds up the decomposition process so Spacey was spot on.  
Wrong! Surely you recall Casper's Dictum...."One week in air (equals) two weeks in water...two weeks in water, (equals) eight weeks in ground"

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by dummy_half Wed 28 Jan 2015, 4:46 pm

Dave

Wasn't 30 years too old - Hal Moore was born in 1922, so in his early 40s at the time of the incidents in the film (leading up to a battle in 1965). Gibson was 45 or 46 when the film was made...

There have been some travesties of casting over the years (Tom Cruise as the 6 foot 5, 250lb Jack Reacher...), but this certainly wasn't one of them

dummy_half

Posts : 5427
Join date : 2011-03-11
Age : 49
Location : East Hertfordshire

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 5:38 pm

Was always told Gibson was miscast in that role....agree with Reacher though. Dwayne Johnson would have been good, despite not having blonde hair and blue eyes. Hugh Jackman is about 6'2 but Tina hates him

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by trottb Fri 30 Jan 2015, 3:37 am

Watched Get On Up (as recommended by Rowley). A decent film with some great music. I found it a little bit disjointed in places but enjoyable.

The Equalizer (as recommended by DAVE). A greats lads film, very, very similar to Man on Fire. Well worth a watch if you're looking for some simple all out action.

trottb

Posts : 1300
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by nadeem2099 Fri 30 Jan 2015, 11:31 am

Watched the godfather 1 and 2 yesterday. I can't believe it took me so long to watch them. I've been putting them off because of their long running times but they were brilliant films. Now have to watch the 3rd one but heard it got bad reviews.....
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Posts : 6735
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Equilibrium

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by trottb Fri 30 Jan 2015, 11:43 am

nadeem2099 wrote:Watched the godfather 1 and 2 yesterday. I can't believe it took me so long to watch them. I've been putting them off because of their long running times but they were brilliant films. Now have to watch the 3rd one but heard it got bad reviews.....

Awesome films. The 3rd isn't a patch on them, unfortunately. I do think it gets slightly more criticism than it deserves.

trottb

Posts : 1300
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jan 2015, 11:58 am

trottb wrote:
nadeem2099 wrote:Watched the godfather 1 and 2 yesterday. I can't believe it took me so long to watch them. I've been putting them off because of their long running times but they were brilliant films. Now have to watch the 3rd one but heard it got bad reviews.....

Awesome films. The 3rd isn't a patch on them, unfortunately. I do think it gets slightly more criticism than it deserves.
I expect ROWLEY to track you down and shoot you in the face now. He hates Godfather III. I myself was disappointed but more than that, I left feeling ambivalent nay aggressively indifferent...for me one of the worst reactions to a film (outside of burning down the cinema and the town it's in)

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by trottb Fri 30 Jan 2015, 12:12 pm

I wouldn't call myself a fan of the movie either DAVE. I just think it gets slightly more criticism than it deserves by virtue of the other 2 setting the bar so high.

trottb

Posts : 1300
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jan 2015, 12:17 pm

Or maybe it isn't very good

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by trottb Fri 30 Jan 2015, 12:22 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Or maybe it isn't very good

Maybe I am being overly generous. I will watch it again this weekend and confirm my position.

trottb

Posts : 1300
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Fri 30 Jan 2015, 12:33 pm

trottb wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Or maybe it isn't very good

Maybe I am being overly generous. I will watch it again this weekend and confirm my position.

Or you can just ask STRONGY and he'll tell you what to think

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by trottb Fri 30 Jan 2015, 12:38 pm

laughing

trottb

Posts : 1300
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Rowley Fri 30 Jan 2015, 1:21 pm

I think what frustrates me most with Godfather 3 is how the Academy managed to ignore Sofia Coppola's masterful performance. They probably gave the award to some hack like Streep, idiots.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by dummy_half Fri 30 Jan 2015, 1:21 pm

If Godfather III was a stand-alone film, it would be considered a decent movie. Not great, but a sort of 6 or 7/10 film. The problem is that by tying it to the myth and legend of The Godfather I and II, its relative weaknesses are highlighted.

Worth watching, but don't expect it to live up to the first two (or down to the slagging it sometimes gets).

dummy_half

Posts : 5427
Join date : 2011-03-11
Age : 49
Location : East Hertfordshire

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Mike Selig Sun 01 Feb 2015, 9:09 am

I watched Boy Wonder based on a recommendation on here. I agree with whoever recommended it: a really good intelligent film, doesn't ham-fist the morals too much but lets you make your own mind up, at just over an hour and a half long it's just the right length - gives enough time for exposition but doesn't feel unnecessarily drawn out. Definitely worth a watch.

Mike Selig

Posts : 4295
Join date : 2011-05-30

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by guildfordbat Sun 01 Feb 2015, 11:23 am

Rowley wrote:I think what frustrates me most with Godfather 3 is how the Academy managed to ignore Sofia Coppola's masterful performance. They probably gave the award to some hack like Streep, idiots.

clap So sharp I cut myself on reading that, Jeff.

Treated myself to a viewing of the first two Godfather films this week. A brilliant component of these (unlike the third) is the many brilliant performances served up by actors I know too little about. I've previously banged on about John Cazale as eldest brother Fredo and Michael V Gazzo as mafiosa Frankie Pentangeli. However, the one who really caught my attention this time was Richard Castellano as the loyal and knowing Clemenza. Superb.

guildfordbat

Posts : 14977
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Mon 02 Feb 2015, 12:49 pm

Watched "Whiplash" last night.

J K Simmons, whilst good, basically plays the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket. The other lead actor is so wooden he was his own drumstick stunt double. However, what was so great about it? Take an action film, swap the "final (predictably good) fight scene" for the "final (predictably good) drum solo" in WHIPLASH and that's it.

Apparently, jazz is the winner or maybe it's something else. I don't care enough to consider it further. 6/10

Started watching "Gone Girl" afterwards. I'm about an hour and a bit into it. The only problem is we've seen this sort of thing before...we are lead down one path and whilst we don't know the exact final outcome it's bound to be a "shock". Sadly, I'm so desensitized by mediocre films that by the time we get to the "twist" I doubt very much that I'll care. 6/10 (may become an 8....or a 4 if the ending is sh!t)

Before that lot, I finally watched TED. Over the years I've become annoyed by the self congratulatory element of Todd McFarlane's stuff to the degree that "Family Guy, American Dad (or "The TRUSSMAN STORY" as I like to call it) and "The Cleveland Show" became a bit of a drag. Didn't like a lot of the musical segments which seemed designed to do nothing more that showcase McFarlane's singing ability for an album he's yet to put out (but you know he's thinking about it). I find McFarlane's misogyny to be grating as well. (The three daughters in the three different animated shows are all treated like sh*t as are the three wives and it stopped being clever a long time ago).

That being said, I found myself laughing out loud at TED on several occasions although I was crippling aware that it was all very juvenile stuff. Maybe I am indeed a child and should just watch films about farts and stuff this intellectual cr@p. 8/10

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Adam D Mon 02 Feb 2015, 2:32 pm

Adam D wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:A housemate and I are going through a phase of enjoying horror films. Not 'gore' horror because that quite frankly isn't scary. More chilling, atmospheric ones. Any recommendations?
I will have a proper think and come back to you on some suggestions. The only thing that springs to mind is REC and REC 2 at the moment.

My Little Eye from the early 00s was good (a big brother type horror film).

I havent seen Audition but everyone raves about that one!
The Mist is another cracker of a film with tension in it.

One of the best endings to a film I can remember in a long time too (different to the book by all accounts)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Posts : 23684
Join date : 2011-01-24
Age : 48
Location : Parts Unknown

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Mon 02 Feb 2015, 2:38 pm

Adam D wrote:
Adam D wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:A housemate and I are going through a phase of enjoying horror films. Not 'gore' horror because that quite frankly isn't scary. More chilling, atmospheric ones. Any recommendations?
I will have a proper think and come back to you on some suggestions. The only thing that springs to mind is REC and REC 2 at the moment.

My Little Eye from the early 00s was good (a big brother type horror film).

I havent seen Audition but everyone raves about that one!
The Mist is another cracker of a film with tension in it.

One of the best endings to a film I can remember in a long time too (different to the book by all accounts)
The Director Frank Darabont adds a little extra onto the adaptations. What he did with "The Mist" and Shawshank" was excellent.
I've loved both those books for many many years and was always left wondering just where King would have taken them if he'd decided to continue writing them. However, as it stands, the books are damn near perfect as they are (especially "Shawshank")

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by westisbest Mon 02 Feb 2015, 3:46 pm

Off work for a few weeks after having knee surgery, so will watch a few no doubt.

Already watched Gone Girl. Very good film. Good performance from Rosamund Pike.
Not so much from Ben Affleck, he just doesn't grab me as an actor, don't think he is poor, just not great.

RIPD, pretty poor.

westisbest

Posts : 7714
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Mon 02 Feb 2015, 3:55 pm

westisbest wrote:Off work for a few weeks after having knee surgery, so will watch a few no doubt.

Already watched Gone Girl. Very good film. Good performance from Rosamund Pike.
Not so much from Ben Affleck, he just doesn't grab me as an actor, don't think he is poor, just not great.

RIPD, pretty poor.
Think I stated a while back it was like Men in Black with more white people

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Rowley Mon 02 Feb 2015, 5:44 pm

Watched Whiplash, not as good as everyone would have you believe and pretty ridiculous in parts, but JK Simmons is excellent and if you like jazz there is some decent music in it.

Finally got round to watching Rush, had not bothered as I hate F1 with an absolute passion, but the film is really quite good, does not overstay its welcome and the racing scenes are very well done.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 03 Feb 2015, 12:26 pm

Watched the Skull yesterday on netflix

Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee

Classic British horror 1969. Not scary but great actors and good old fashioned movie making.

ONETWOFOREVER

Posts : 5510
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Tue 03 Feb 2015, 1:58 pm

Finished watching "Gone Girl"...couldn't give a f*ck who did what by the end of it as it petered away to nothingness. Pretty decent performance from Ms Pike but she lacked the cold, calculating, chill of the truly sociopathic. Ben Affleck was as wooden as ever. Best thing about it was their rented house...it looked lovely. 5/10

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Azzy Tue 03 Feb 2015, 2:08 pm

The latest X-Men film. Horrific. Watched it over four nights as we fell asleep the first three attempts to watch it. Turgid is an understatement.

Azzy

Posts : 5015
Join date : 2014-04-07

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 03 Feb 2015, 9:47 pm

Inherent Vice.

The trailer marks this out as a zany, cool, funny comedy full of stars. Alarm bells should've started ringing then.

It is a horrible directionless mish-mash of drug-addled, non-sensical poop. The characters' voices are virtually unintelligible (especially Joaquin Phoenix), the plot's twists and turn make no sense and there's far too much emphasis on a) "how dope is far out" and b) how cool 1970 was. That's a massive no on both counts. This film was probably marketed to Josh Brolin as being "This year's American Hustle". I bet he's really regretting it now. Benicio Del Toro and Eric Roberts clearly owed someone a favour (Roberts has about 30 seconds of screen time). Ever wondered what Martin Short's doing now? Appearing in rubbish like this and looking rather old.

I finished the film and wondered if there'd been a storyline at all. Such a shame as the trailer seems to show it to be ultra-cool. Worst film I have seen this year, and by some margin. 2/10

Mr Bounce

Posts : 2867
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : East of Florida, West of Felixstowe

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Wed 04 Feb 2015, 1:02 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:Inherent Vice.

The trailer marks this out as a zany, cool, funny comedy full of stars. Alarm bells should've started ringing then.

It is a horrible directionless mish-mash of drug-addled, non-sensical poop. The characters' voices are virtually unintelligible (especially Joaquin Phoenix), the plot's twists and turn make no sense and there's far too much emphasis on a) "how dope is far out" and b) how cool 1970 was. That's a massive no on both counts. This film was probably marketed to Josh Brolin as being "This year's American Hustle". I bet he's really regretting it now. Benicio Del Toro and Eric Roberts clearly owed someone a favour (Roberts has about 30 seconds of screen time). Ever wondered what Martin Short's doing now? Appearing in rubbish like this and looking rather old.

I finished the film and wondered if there'd been a storyline at all. Such a shame as the trailer seems to show it to be ultra-cool. Worst film I have seen this year, and by some margin. 2/10
Reminds me of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and as such, I won't be watching it

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Adam D Wed 04 Feb 2015, 1:21 pm

I just watched the first half of Mortdecai at the cinema during my lunch hour - going back tomorrow to see the second half (got a unlimited ticket so why not!).

Strange kind of film - its like Austin Powers but with the overt humour taken out. I'm liking it but not loving it.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Posts : 23684
Join date : 2011-01-24
Age : 48
Location : Parts Unknown

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Galted Wed 04 Feb 2015, 9:31 pm

Stalker - 1979 Tarkovsky film.

Dire.  Seriously phucking turgid.  Reminds me of a Coleman Francis film but without the accidentally funny moments.
Galted
Galted
Galted
Galted

Posts : 13684
Join date : 2011-10-31
Location : not the wi-fi password

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by superflyweight Thu 05 Feb 2015, 12:28 pm

Not seen it Galted, but given that even his best films can be "challenging", I would imagine that one that can be described as "turgid" must have been an epic struggle.

Where do you stand on Bela Tarr?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Posts : 7624
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 05 Feb 2015, 6:23 pm

Adam D wrote:I just watched the first half of Mortdecai at the cinema during my lunch hour - going back tomorrow to see the second half (got a unlimited ticket so why not!).

Strange kind of film - its like Austin Powers but with the overt humour taken out. I'm liking it but not loving it.

I watched that a week ago and it had such an effect on me I didn't remember to write a review. It was ok - nothing special. I did think it was amusing that Mortdecai & his wife, supposedly English, were both played by Americans. Indeed an odd film. Ok, but odd. 5/10

Mr Bounce

Posts : 2867
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : East of Florida, West of Felixstowe

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by compelling and rich Thu 05 Feb 2015, 6:25 pm

watched starred up last night, pretty gritty and reckon its not a bad portrayal of british jail (bar the dodgy screws). younger generation will simply like it because its overly violent but overall not a bad watch

compelling and rich

Posts : 5918
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Bull Thu 05 Feb 2015, 9:44 pm

John Wick

The world created in this film is awesome and I personally would love to learn and see more about it. It feels like a video game world inside a movie. Keanu Reeves is excellent and the action is brilliant. "I'm thinking Keanu is back." Wink Oh and that cute puppy. Sad

9/10

Bull

Posts : 17493
Join date : 2011-02-22

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Galted Thu 05 Feb 2015, 11:20 pm

superflyweight wrote:Not seen it Galted, but given that even his best films can be "challenging", I would imagine that one that can be described as "turgid" must have been an epic struggle.  

Where do you stand on Bela Tarr?

Not familiar with him, Santantango looks promising at 7 and a half hours though, rivals the 7 and a half weeks that Stalker runs for.
Galted
Galted
Galted
Galted

Posts : 13684
Join date : 2011-10-31
Location : not the wi-fi password

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Simon West Fri 06 Feb 2015, 12:00 am

Last couple I saw - woman in black 2, even bad for a modern horror movie, total bore fest. However, big surprise for me was edge of tomorrow, looked like normal sci fi crap, really really enjoyed it

Simon West

Posts : 6
Join date : 2015-01-16

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by superflyweight Fri 06 Feb 2015, 7:39 am

Galted wrote:
superflyweight wrote:Not seen it Galted, but given that even his best films can be "challenging", I would imagine that one that can be described as "turgid" must have been an epic struggle.  

Where do you stand on Bela Tarr?

Not familiar with him, Santantango looks promising at 7 and a half hours though, rivals the 7 and a half weeks that Stalker runs for.

Started watching one of his films - may have been Satantango and gave up after 40 minutes of watching a man staring at some machinery whilst contemplating a shave.  Although, I do like this scene from Satantango:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA2APi0cTYY

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Posts : 7624
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 06 Feb 2015, 11:42 am

Rewatched THE CROW again the other night.........What a superb final performance from Brandon Lee......

"Aren't you police officers supposed to say Freeze"?

"Move and your dead !!"

"I'm dead and I move"!!........................Great stuff !!

Considering the morons that played the role after him..........What a waste of talent..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 39579
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Sun 08 Feb 2015, 2:49 pm

The Crow is a top film. The Jesus joke is brilliant!

Aren't they doing a remake?

Some things are best left alone.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Rowley Mon 09 Feb 2015, 9:19 am

Patton - cracking performance by the brilliant George C Scott as General Patton, decent film as well.

George C Scott turned down the best actor oscar for his performance trivia fans.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 48
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by incontinentia Mon 09 Feb 2015, 2:37 pm

Whiplash. Brilliant! 10/10
incontinentia
incontinentia

Posts : 3658
Join date : 2012-01-06
Location : Ireland

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Mon 09 Feb 2015, 3:03 pm

incontinentia wrote:Whiplash. Brilliant! 10/10
F*CKING HELL you're easily pleased!!!!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by incontinentia Mon 09 Feb 2015, 3:52 pm

Ok the ending was a bit of a let down, but otherwise twas a cracker!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Posts : 3658
Join date : 2012-01-06
Location : Ireland

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Mon 09 Feb 2015, 9:50 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:The Crow is a top film. The Jesus joke is brilliant!

Aren't they doing a remake?

Some things are best left alone.

Heard they were but that were a while ago and seems to have died down since . Personally I'd rather they left it alone

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Mon 09 Feb 2015, 9:52 pm

I went to watch kingsmen.....was alot better than i expected...thought samuel l jackson was briliant in it

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by The Saint Mon 09 Feb 2015, 10:04 pm

Watched a quarter of Exodus: Gods and King on my laptop last night but fell asleep (because I was tired, not bored). Is it worth me watching the rest in a bit? It's not like I have anything else to watch...

Oh and recently watched The Imitation Game. I like historical epics so I thought this was good. Also from what I've read it would seem Cumberbatch got Alan Turing spot on.

The Saint

Posts : 6046
Join date : 2013-05-04
Age : 32
Location : South-East Region

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Guest Tue 10 Feb 2015, 12:58 pm

Last days on Mars. Pretty forgettable. Liev Schreiber should just stick to Ray Donovan.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by westisbest Tue 10 Feb 2015, 1:22 pm

End Of Watch(again).

Very good film.

Have to say I think Jake Gyllenhaal is a very underrated actor.
Doesn't get the plaudits he deserves.

Also think Anna Kendrick is hot.

westisbest

Posts : 7714
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum