The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+25
Pr4wn
Forward Pass
skins4ever
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Barney92
CFCNick
Ent
1GrumpyGolfer
WhiteCamry
Dorothy_Mantooth
Breadvan
twelve283
adams_legend
JDizzle
BamBam
crazy_dave23
Thomond
Number-25
TM Moot
Lowlandbrit
Skyforger
sodhat
NYJ
mikeygnfl
29 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 2 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by GSC Sun 14 Dec 2014, 7:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Manziel is learning school yard football doesn't cut it in the NFL.

Until he learns the basics this will continue
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 2 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Thomond Wed 24 Dec 2014, 12:09 pm

Olly wrote:Steelers worry me least of all the teams, Brady shreds that defence every time he plays them (and this is before you consider they're playing OAPs in the secondary now).

Still Denver the biggest threat, well actually biggest threat is injuries

The Steelers defence isn't great but their biggest weakness is defending deep passes. The Patriots can't throw deep. Their offense is also incredible. Don't know if they would win necessarily but if I was to back a team to upset the apple cart it could we'll be the Steelers. Possibly the Chargers if Allen gets healthy and their offensive line repairs itself. The Chargers are Jekyll and Hyde on defence though.

Patrick Peterson made the Pro Bowl. I get that players don't have time to watch games what with preparing for opponents but he isn't even the best corner on his team.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 2 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 24 Dec 2014, 4:01 pm

I like how we match up with the Steelers offence, Revis can negate Brown, Browner on Bryant is good too, Collins can run with Bell, and their offensive lime isn't particularly good either so think Wilfork can stuff the run enough.

We can't go deep, yet last season when we were even worse we managed to go deep against them. Aaron Dobson scored a 80 yard TD ffs that's how bad they are
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NYJ Fri 26 Dec 2014, 5:57 am

It's easy listing off players and who is going to over them, but is Collins really going to stop Bell? Is Old Man Wilfork really going to do the same? No, they're not.
NYJ
NYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 26 Dec 2014, 10:44 am

Thought the same. Sorry but that's largely delusion
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 26 Dec 2014, 10:57 am

If you can point out the bits that are deluded then please do, but or defence has been brilliant this season against the best the NFL has...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Fri 26 Dec 2014, 8:18 pm

Connor Shaw is going to start at QB for the Browns this weekend against the Ravens and Alex Smith is out of the Chiefs vs Chargers game. That should make the Chargers pretty good favourites for the playoffs.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 26 Dec 2014, 8:21 pm

Chase Daniel should've beaten the Chargers with a backup Chiefs team last season
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Fri 26 Dec 2014, 8:54 pm

Chiefs have 18 TD passes so far this season. None of them were caught by a WR.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 27 Dec 2014, 6:19 pm

Rex Ryan and Marc Trestman are likely to be gone on Monday.

Doug Marrone is my dark horse to be fired.

Tony Sparano might be a slow burner, might keep it if Harbaugh heads to Michigan.

49ers probably take their time with Harbaugh and see if they can get compensation for him, before promoting Tomsula.

Joe Philbin is this years Rex Ryan, as in bad HC that really should be fired.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 27 Dec 2014, 6:19 pm

Also Mike Smiths job is probably reliant on winning a playoff game
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 27 Dec 2014, 7:00 pm

Browns have suspended Josh Gordon for the last game.

And he's done in Cleveland
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 27 Dec 2014, 7:35 pm

Think Marrone gets another year personally, but like Philbin isn't really a HC. 

Whisenhunt is my dark horse. Saw a tweet saying something like he's only won 3 of his last 27 games as a HC.

Really gotta think its last chance saloon for Gordon. Someone will pick him up (he is the sort of guy Belichick will pick up and try fix), but he's beyond repair really
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 27 Dec 2014, 8:35 pm

How is he.

He's not 35 and considered over the hill
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 27 Dec 2014, 8:48 pm

GSC wrote:49ers probably take their time with Harbaugh and see if they can get compensation for him, before promoting Tomsula.
Slight issue with the trade ideas is that the Rooney rule would make it a bit tricky for any team that hasn't already fired their coach/interviewed a candidate (in the short term at least).
GSC wrote:Tony Sparano might be a slow burner, might keep it if Harbaugh heads to Michigan.
Fun little fact about the Harbaugh to Michigan thing; the Dolphins owner is a major Michigan donor.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 27 Dec 2014, 9:03 pm

The Rooney rule is a joke, just find a minority and give them a courtesy interview
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Sat 27 Dec 2014, 9:07 pm

I have a theory that Stephen Ross will take Jim Harbaugh to Michigan for a year so the Dolphins don't have to pay compensation. Joe Philbin stays in 2015 and then Jim Harbaugh moves to Miami for the 2016.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 27 Dec 2014, 9:12 pm

Id be wondering how high he was when he came up with that plan
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Sat 27 Dec 2014, 9:16 pm

GSC wrote:The Rooney rule is a joke, just find a minority and give them a courtesy interview
I agree with that. I don't really see the point in interviewing other candidates if you know who your man is. The sentiment is good but I always feel if you want to deal with a problem you deal with it from the bottom up. Ie make better minority coaches.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 27 Dec 2014, 9:34 pm

mikeygnfl wrote:I don't really see the point in interviewing other candidates if you know who your man is. The sentiment is good but I always feel if you want to deal with a problem you deal with it from the bottom up. Ie make better minority coaches.
Except then everyone makes up their mind straight away, and if you're not one of the people they immediately think of to begin with, you're unlikely to ever be. Hard to prove you're a better coach if you never get the chance to show it.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 27 Dec 2014, 10:03 pm

GSC wrote:How is he.

He's not 35 and considered over the hill

You know what I mean, picks up dudes like (this season) Blount, Ayers, Branch, guys like Tommy Kelly in previous years and turns them into solid contributes. Obviously Gordon is wayyy more talented and more a nutter than them tho

Harbaugh to Michigan all but confirmed it seems. 6 years 48 million.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 27 Dec 2014, 10:18 pm

Low risk low reward guys.

So the opposite to Gordon basically
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NYJ Sun 28 Dec 2014, 10:26 am

GSC wrote:Rex Ryan and Marc Trestman are likely to be gone on Monday.

Doug Marrone is my dark horse to be fired.

Tony Sparano might be a slow burner, might keep it if Harbaugh heads to Michigan.

49ers probably take their time with Harbaugh and see if they can get compensation for him, before promoting Tomsula.

Joe Philbin is this years Rex Ryan, as in bad HC that really should be fired.

I'd love Marc Trestman as the Jets coach next year. Teams tend to go in a completely opposite direction to their previous failures and there isn't 2 more polarising media personalities than Rex and Trestman, therefore it seems viable.

Marrone couldn't do much with the QB situation. The Bills are the cliched "QB away" team but I think that is more true of them than any other team in the league. Top 5 defense and some decent young weapons on offense. I would still fire him for not using CJ Spiller correctly though. :P

I also reject the statement that Joe Philbin is anywhere near as good a HC as Rex Ryan.
NYJ
NYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Dec 2014, 11:21 am

Doug Marrone swung and missed on his QB. The situation is his and the GMs fault.

Trestman just isn't a HC in the NFL. Not nearly enough force of will.

Neither of the two are particular good HCs so who cares
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Dec 2014, 11:57 am

Rex isn't anywhere near a good HC. You can't not know anything about one side of the ball and be a good one, let alone choose horrible staff to look after that side.

He would be the best DC in the game if he chooses to become one. And if I was someone like Miami, I'd move hell and earth to get him as my DC.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NYJ Sun 28 Dec 2014, 2:01 pm

Players love to play for Rex. He is going to get hired by a team with an established QB/offense and win the Super Bowl. Atlanta Falcons would be perfect.
NYJ
NYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Dec 2014, 6:39 pm

That hasn't necessarily been a good thing in his tenure
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Dec 2014, 7:17 pm

Not entirely sure why Brady is in the game when we're resting everyone else on offence and protecting him with Josh Kline against the best defensive line in the league
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Dec 2014, 8:59 pm

Mariota to Tampa
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Dec 2014, 9:45 pm

So the jets cost themselves amari Cooper today. Lolz
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Dec 2014, 9:55 pm

Mike Wallace showing off his outstanding character again today
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sun 28 Dec 2014, 10:20 pm

And the season is over. Thank God!

Now we're just our obligatory bad draft, procession of bad free agents and an irritating media obsession of every move made by Robert Griffin away from the next 16 game Redskins debacle. Bring it on!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 28 Dec 2014, 11:20 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:Chiefs have 18 TD passes so far this season. None of them were caught by a WR.
Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 2 WRTD
Fumble recovery by Kelce, Chiefs go whole season without a TD for a WR.

In other news, JJ Watt is the first player to have two 20+ sack seasons.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Mon 29 Dec 2014, 12:14 am

So the Panthers have beat the Falcons to win the NFC South on 7-8-1. They have also become the first team to win the NFC South in consecutive years and only the Seahawks will go into the playoffs on a better winning streak. It wouldn't be a surprise if the Panthers beat the Cardinals at home in their wildcard match-up.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Mon 29 Dec 2014, 12:17 am

It looks like the Seahawks and Packers will have byes and the 1 and 2 seeds respectively while the Lions will go to the Cowboys and the Panthers will host the Cardinals.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 29 Dec 2014, 10:18 am

Seattle has HFA so good luck to the rest of the NFC.

Dallas Detroit looks decent, Ravens Steelers is sometimes watchable, Cincy vs Indy will be a battle of which QB can choke worst and good lord Arizona Carolina.

Quite like Detroit. Have the front to go toe to toe with Dallas and Seattle. Caldwells been here before. Baltimore need another Flacco miracle run because they aren't good. Cant see Dallas' D holding up against a rested Rodgers
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 29 Dec 2014, 10:26 am

Expecting Rex to end up in Atlanta. I guess he cant mess up Matt Ryan. For similar reasons I wouldn't touch him if I were Oakland.

Another late collapse to 8-8 for Miami, a sign of a bad HC.

We'll see if Davis will ante up. A similar offer to Michigan gets the job done
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 29 Dec 2014, 10:50 am

GSC wrote:We'll see if Davis will ante up. A similar offer to Michigan gets the job done
Will have to be a bloody quick offer, word is Michigan are all set to introduce him at a basketball game on Tuesday.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 29 Dec 2014, 10:58 am

Word was Harbaugh was going to take the Dolphins job too.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 29 Dec 2014, 11:03 am

Ultimately Harbaughs like Chip. Neither can really be bothered to do all the recruiting and limits the NCAA places, when they can get paid to just do coaching at the NFL level.

Money talks though
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 29 Dec 2014, 1:32 pm

Surprisingly the rubber band contract Rex got last year turned out to be just that as he and Idzik are fired.

First shots fired on Black Monday
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 29 Dec 2014, 3:00 pm

GSC wrote:First shots fired on Black Monday
Add Mike Smith to the list. Crazy how that team just fell off a cliff. Looked like they'd be a powerhouse for a long time.

GSC wrote:Word was Harbaugh was going to take the Dolphins job too.
Miami wasn't asking its marching band to cut short their break to be at a basketball game. Plus I doubt the 49ers would have just released him so quickly if there wasn't a deal in place to keep him away from their competitors.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 29 Dec 2014, 3:02 pm

Mark Davis planned to meet with him this morning so it wasn't a sure thing.

Seems like it is now though
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 29 Dec 2014, 3:17 pm

Trestman and Emery gone from Chicago, good luck whoever takes that dumpster fire of a roster
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 29 Dec 2014, 3:24 pm

Also Kyle Orton retired

Buffalo now has no first round pick and EJ Manuel at starting QB. Lulz
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Mon 29 Dec 2014, 6:05 pm

GSC wrote:Word was Harbaugh was going to take the Dolphins job too.
I just wonder if Harbaugh would be more tempted by the Bears?
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 29 Dec 2014, 6:37 pm

There's little upside to the Bears
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 29 Dec 2014, 6:44 pm

Jim Haslett set a record, for most yards given up by a DC over 5 seasons.

He also appears 3 times in the top 10 for the 3 year equivalent.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 29 Dec 2014, 6:58 pm

Looking at some of the names the 49ers are linked with, I wouldn't be reassured the FO knows what its doing
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 29 Dec 2014, 7:09 pm

GSC wrote:Jim Haslett set a record, for most yards given up by a DC over 5 seasons.

He also appears 3 times in the top 10 for the 3 year equivalent.
Posted this a couple of pages back, worth bringing up again:
Lowlandbrit wrote:They're going to need to find more buses in Washington at the rate people are being thrown under them: http://deadspin.com/london-fletcher-defensive-coordinator-jim-haslett-is-1667950222/all

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by NYJ Mon 29 Dec 2014, 7:47 pm

Olly wrote:So the jets cost themselves amari Cooper today. Lolz

Cooper isn't all that - he's not going to be a top 5 pick. We don't need him either, we need to strengthen at several other positions before WR.
NYJ
NYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next