The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: SONY Hackers Detained in Hawaii: Notes from the Ballwasher

+15
navyblueshorts
robopz
Bob_the_Job
skiddy
Shotrock
Davie
beninho
GPB
McLaren
super_realist
raycastleunited
pedro
Roller_Coaster
incontinentia
kwinigolfer
19 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: SONY Hackers Detained in Hawaii: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: SONY Hackers Detained in Hawaii: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Jan 2015, 2:54 am

First topic message reminder :

1).That's right, but no Interview and, in Hawaii this week, no North Koreans either - half a dozen-ish South Korean golfers and a few Japanese, including the up and coming Hiroshi enough to make your Iwata. We'll have a sprinkling of Europeans about which more later.

2).It sounds gratuitous to mention Tiger Woods so early in the season, but Patrick Reed's Kapalua win yesterday, at the Hyundai TOC, was eerily reminiscent of Tiger's win at Pebble Beach when he had to make a bunch of birdies in the final four holes, and simplified matters by holing a second shot for eagle. Matt Gogel was the unwitting victim fifteen or so years ago and he's now a commentator.
Don't expect the same fate to befall Jimmy Walker yet awhile, but finding himself stuck in neutral when all about were making birdies, or eagle, must have been a disheartening experience. Reed is now the only non-Holywood golfer under 30 with four Tour wins.

3).Last week we had a bit of a teaser about Touring Pros with the most "made cuts". (Of those under 50, the leaders were Mayfair, Estes, Furyk, Mickelson and Leonard.)
Alright for journeymen you might say, but who makes the most of those cuts? You know who the prolific winners are, but who is consistently in the Top Ten? And, although he's barely in the Top 20 in cuts made, Tiger leads in Top Ten performance with 185 in 294 cuts made. No-one else with at least 100 "cuts made" approaches that hit rate, with Phil the next best:
Woods: 185 Top Tens in 294 "cuts: 63%
Mickelson: 173 Top Tens in 424 "cuts": 41%
This just in: Woods's record before his recent decline was pretty bl00dy good.

4).Tour players (under 50) with 90+ Top Tens are:
185: Woods
173: Mickelson
172: Furyk
125: Els
109: Toms
103: Stricker
99:  Leonard
91:  Cink
91:  Estes
Top European is Sergio with 86 Top Tens, same as Jerry Kelly.

5).Europeans making the most of their paydays include:
86: Garcia
73: Donald
59: Rose
55: Parnevik - he'll be turning the big 5 0 in a few weeks.
52: Harrington
49: Pettersson
I thought it was interesting anyway.

6).Going back to Woods for a moment, the US media is wetting itself over his return to action in Phoenix, and the PGA Tour seems to be responding by adding restrictions to the behaviour of competitors in the 16th hole ampitheatre. Caddie races have already been banned and it now seems as if the practice of throwing goodies in to the grandstands is also about to be prohibited. No golfballs, no gloves, no footballs, no shirts; you name it, don't throw it.
Presumably no boulder rolling, gun toting or tangerine tossing either.

7).A few "Internationals" played well at Kapalua, and an early snapshot of the Top Ten Presidents Cup qualifying points leaders looks like this:
Scott, Day, Matsuyama, Schwartzel (despite last week's collapse), Jaidee, Oosthuizen, Leishman, Senden, Oda, Clark. (DeLaet is 11th and Els is 12th man.)
You know US Captain Jay Haas is quaking in his boots at having to face that lot.

8).This season sees the introduction of Donaldson, Dubuisson and Molinari F to the PGA Tour and Franny makes his debut at this week's Sony Open. His first target is to reach the Top 125 in FedEx points (or official money), but he starts tied for last, with 211 golfers ahead of him. He doesn't have a power game and will be at a serious disadvantage at certain courses, so let's hope he takes more care with his playing schedule than some of his continent-mates. Tee-to-green he is a strong version of Luke Donald, on and around the green he's a pale imitation of Lukey who, coincidentally, makes an early reappearance this week alongside Molinari.
You'd think Waialae Country Club would suit Molinari down to the ground and it's no exaggeration to say that he needs good results straight out of the traps. Partly to get ahead of the required FedEx pace and better plan his tournaments, and partly to return to the owgr Top 50 and earn entry to the Majors and WGC's that he's no longer exempt for. Hope he's successful, even money in my book.

9).There's a decent field at the Sony, with Day, Kuchar, Matsuyama and Zach Johnson (fancy him this week), and these early season events are deeper than in past years.
Luke Donald has played here 7 times, made 5 cuts with 5 Top 25's, including one runner up finish; right up the street of the stereotypical Luke Donald, but who knows what type of St.Luke we'll see in 2015?
Casey, Brian Davis and Russell Knox are here, plus Cejka, Pettersson and Lingmerth.
Tim Clark, Chuckie Howell and Ryan Palmer are among the old lags with super records here, while young 'uns Henley and Kirk did well at Kapalua and have "previous" at Waialae.

10).Which brings us to last year's champ Jimmy Walker. He ratified his Frys win here and went on to squeak home at Pebble Beach and contended on an almost weekly basis. Not least at the Ryder Cup. Interesting Q&A with him in Feb's Golf Digest where he praised Zach Johnson as being the ideal teammate and spoke well of Reed, Spieth and one-trickie Rickie.
I've never seen Walker play but he seems a multifaceted personality, relatively late to success, with his feet on the ground and, one would think, destined for another good year, or five.
He's gaining professional respect as an astrophotograher; sure he doesn't aspire to be an astrophysicist, a la Brian May, but an interesting choice of (very serious and expensive) hobby nevertheless.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: SONY Hackers Detained in Hawaii: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: SONY Hackers Detained in Hawaii: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:07 pm

Davie:  You completely missed the point.

People have snark on Webb and Chesson's name because they are traditional or biblical names.

Then they snark because they use their faith as a form of sports psychology.

I have no clue why a given name is something to mock.  Especially when they are relatively ignorant why they do it.  In my experience, people with names like Webb and Chesson are named to honor a older relative.

My middle name is my mothers maiden name. My sister's middle name is my grandmothers maiden name.  Neither is what you would consider a traditional name like David, or Anne or John or Sarah.

Its just what our culture is the USA.  Believe it or not, we are nearly 250 years removed from being under the thumb of your monarchy.  We have moved on.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: SONY Hackers Detained in Hawaii: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: SONY Hackers Detained in Hawaii: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Shotrock Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:23 pm

Good point GPB. 

What's absurd is that people would actually mock names because they don't fit into their narrow-minded notion of what is (harumph-harumph) "proper".

Celebrate differences I say!

But back to golf ... Would be something to see Casey finish this tournament off. And it looks like Sean O'Hair has LOTS of work to do on his game.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm

No-one mocked Simpson's name . . . . . . . .

Long way to go for Casey; he hasn't been able to sustain a good start in the US for a long time. One round at a time.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 16 Jan 2015, 9:57 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:...Some mystery as to whether PAC Member Webb Simpson's excellent 62 was due to exceptional work with his short putter, or his friend from Disney World:
"I just had a couple (Bible) verses in my yardage book today that I kept on reading, and I stayed calm. All thanks to God (Dog?) for giving me strength to just get through today."

Hopefully Freddie Jac will set Simpson right if he starts to wax biblical in Players' Meetings.
What a prat. "...to just get through today"????? What was it he thinks he was doing today? Doing an Iron Man or perhaps running a marathon? Or maybe having a risky, 10-hour bit of surgery? Idiot. And that's w/o getting into the usual tirade re. the absurd belief in fairies.

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Fri 16 Jan 2015, 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 16 Jan 2015, 10:00 pm

GPB wrote:Davie:  You completely missed the point.

People have snark on Webb and Chesson's name because they are traditional or biblical names.

Then they snark because they use their faith as a form of sports psychology.

I have no clue why a given name is something to mock.  Especially when they are relatively ignorant why they do it.  In my experience, people with names like Webb and Chesson are named to honor a older relative.

My middle name is my mothers maiden name. My sister's middle name is my grandmothers maiden name.  Neither is what you would consider a traditional name like David, or Anne or John or Sarah.

Its just what our culture is the USA.  Believe it or not, we are nearly 250 years removed from being under the thumb of your monarchy.  We have moved on.
picard I was kind of with you re. the names thing and then you went a blew it with the chippy remark re. your colonial history. As for having "moved on"? In some ways, yes, but certainly not in others. Vive la difference though, in general.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 16 Jan 2015, 10:05 pm

True enough Kwin ... but still a fine start for Casey.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Jan 2015, 10:27 pm

PGA Tour trying to exact revenge on Vijay Singh?

The field for next week's limited field quasi-Tournament of Champions for Champions Tour Champions(!) includes invites Crenshaw, Jacobsen and Strange but not Vijay. That'll learn ya for suing us, Veej, serve ya right.
(Surprised those three still conform to the Champions Tour stroke average criteria.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 16 Jan 2015, 11:33 pm

Got these clarifications "straight from the horses mouth" regarding Patrick Reed, Rickie Fowler & Brooks Koepka and Euro Tour membership... the regs I spoke of earlier were correct, but due to some new information on counting events.. and differing start/end dates of the tour "seasons" between the Euro and PGAT... it's more dooable for the 3 than I stated earlier... Here's each...

Brooks Koepka - As I may have mentioned before... Brooks already has one start in the NedBank for which he did not need a Conflicting Event Release (CER). Assume he plays the 4 majors and 4 WGC's... and gets the normal 3 CER's for playing 15 PGAT events... that gets him up to 12 of the 13 he needs. BUT... if he makes the Presidents Cup team.. that counts in the ET 13 event minimum as well, so that would do it. Now if he doesn't make the PC, a NEW PGAT season starts the next week anyway while the Euro Tour is still going, so Brooks would then have 3 "fresh" PGAT CER's to draw from.

Patrick Reed - The PGAT confirms Reed has taken up Euro Tour membership. His situation is exactly the same as Koepka above... except he needs one more start as he doesn't have one in the bank already like Brooks.

Rickie Fowler - His situation would be different from the other two... He is currently NOT eligible for full ET membership... so he would have to take up Affiliate Membership on the ET... and for that, there is no minimum event requirement. If he were to finish high enough on the ET money list, then he would get full membership the next year and fall under the same restrictions as Koepka and Reed thereafter.

I'm also informed that the regulations say "Regular Member of the PGA TOUR "ordinarily" shall be eligible for three releases after 15... (which would also be 4 after 20 or 5 after 25)... ". So by using the term "ordinarily" in effect they are leaving room for the Commissioner to exercise flexibility in non-ordinary situations. And while I wasn't told they absolutely WOULD exercise flexibility in these situations above... reading between the lines... it sure sounds as if they would

So bottom line... with the Ryder and Presidents Cup being counting events for the ET minimum of 13... and it sounding to me like the PGAT will work with these guys... the roadblocks to any of them taking ET membership is less that I stated prior... maybe far less. The only "hitch" is if these players don't qualify for all those 8 big co-sanctioned events or the Presidents or Ryder Cups in a given year... the task gets much, much harder (just like it is with the dual touring Euro's trying to make their PGAT minimums of 15).

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Jan 2015, 11:38 pm

And the field for Humana has been published.
Never the strongest field of the year, but this time round it has a significant European presence, incl:
Casey, Cejka, Davis, Donald, Gonzo, Freddie Jac, Knox, Laird, Lingmerth, Molinari & Pettersson.

Very interested to see how the new slimline version of Jason Dufner plays - after all the claptrap about only playing another couple of years, he's visibly fitter and even had his locks trimmed.
Will you recognize him? If Amanda's still around you will, and you'll be thrilled to know (and this is very sexist, sorry) she looks as good as ever.

robo,
We have simultaneous posts.
~Why does the Pres Cup ccount towards the E.T. requirement? That's the daftest thing I've seen since . . . . . well, let's not get into that.
~PGA Tour Americans need to do this with a year's leadtime. Can't see how Reed can do it, Fowler too.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 17 Jan 2015, 12:51 am

kwinigolfer wrote:PGA Tour trying to exact revenge on Vijay Singh?

The field for next week's limited field quasi-Tournament of Champions for Champions Tour Champions(!) includes invites Crenshaw, Jacobsen and Strange but not Vijay. That'll learn ya for suing us, Veej, serve ya right.
(Surprised those three still conform to the Champions Tour stroke average criteria.)

Is this just snark?  or is what you are saying is true? with a citation preferably.

Edit:  Miguel Angel is traveling from Abu Dhabi to Hawaii to play the Mitsubishi next week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Jan 2015, 1:18 am

No, Just saying that usually the more eminent golfers, usually and obviously white and American, receive invitations.
So, some snark; and some previous.

Blimey! Possible that the SONY hackers' cut will be at -3. That'll take out some top players.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 17 Jan 2015, 2:20 am

Tentatively, I got the Humana at a solid SoF 46 (273) which is up from 40 last year, which is pretty good considering no top 10 players....(unless Kuchar gets there this week).  

15 players from the top 50.

It was SoF 44 in 2012 and 2013.  And an awful SoF 32 in 2011 which is the last year before Humana.

Don't know if anyone saw it....but I think I saw where Poulter committed to Farmers Insurance at Torrey Pines.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 17 Jan 2015, 2:55 am

Looking at an MDF cut if it stays at -2.

Approx 85 players at -2 or better.  

And crowded golf course tomorrow.  Wish they would go two somes and 8 minute increments.  But little chance of that unless the cut goes to -3.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Jan 2015, 3:06 am

Kuchar had better hope Kaymer doesn't win . . . . . but Kooch is looking good so far.

Luke Donald bailed himself out with birdies on 16 & 18, otherwise hitting 35% of the fairways would've done him in; not putting well enough to get away with that for too long.

Casey struggling with his putter, par for the course, literally and figuratively for him.

GPB: Poulter is not yet listed among the Farmers commitments,not listed for Phoenix either. Though his buddy Justin Rose is in San Diego. As are Casey and Donald.
And Harrington and Lowry. Plus Jamie Donaldson.

Looks like a Sony Saturday MDF.
Now: Is it top 70 and ties who move forward to Sunday?
Or: Is it top 70 pros and ties??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 17 Jan 2015, 3:25 am

I believe it is top 70 pros is the MDF cut.

One amateur, a 16 yr old High Schooler.  Local kid, whose parent's house is right off the course and goes to the same High School as Michelle Wie...and ......Barack Obama.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 17 Jan 2015, 9:05 am

robopz wrote:Question for my European friends...

On another board, David Feherty has come up, and  a number of either British or Irish ex-pats or American citizens of British/Irish heritage...  seem to take great offense and/or have great dislike of Feherty because he's chosen to become an American citizen.   I was wondering if any of you would like to chime in with your 2 cents on the topic.

But to be clear... I'm not taking a David Feherty popularity poll, so the question is NOT if you like him or care for his broadcasting abilities, humor or whatever...  it centered around his taking U.S. Citizenship, and if or how that affects your impression of him.

Thanks... appreciate it.
I don't have a problem with it whatsoever. I'd probably do it my self.

If his wife/kids are American and he intends to stay it makes sense. Why keep reapplying for green card?

I also assume it'd make it easier for some of his relatives to get a green card, plus tax advantages when it comes to passing over real estate to his spouse.

And he can now take a government job as he's hopefully soon fired from golf commentary. Plus of course vote for the GOP (if those things are not contradictory  Whistle ).

With regards to his accent, ones accent easily gets affected - even after a few days - and especially if you're only surrounded by 'locals'. So I have to defend him there.

With all that being said, Feherty is of course still a fool.

PS. Is dual citizenship allowed by the US.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 17 Jan 2015, 9:18 am

kwinigolfer wrote:
Some mystery as to whether PAC Member Webb Simpson's excellent 62 was due to exceptional work with his short putter, or his friend from Disney World:
"I just had a couple (Bible) verses in my yardage book today that I kept on reading, and I stayed calm. All thanks to God (Dog?) for giving me strength to just get through today."

Hopefully Freddie Jac will set Simpson right if he starts to wax biblical in Players' Meetings.
Webb, if your working day is so tough you need Godd to get through it, maybe you should just give it up and start flipping burgers at McD. Doh

PS. Webb: After last weeks events in Paris, you'd be wise not to misuse the name of Godd, Dogg!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jan 2015, 9:20 am

GPB wrote:I believe it is top 70 pros is the MDF cut.

One amateur, a 16 yr old High Schooler.  Local kid, whose parent's house is right off the course and goes to the same High School as Michelle Wie...and ......Barack Obama.

Michelle Wie and Obama still go to school?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 17 Jan 2015, 9:24 am

GPB wrote:
Its just what our culture is the USA.
Culture or not, it's still stupid and could be changed. Naming over here was also different 250 years ago, hence Smith, Baker, Jackson etc. (.......Now it's Abdullah, Faroukh etc.  Run )
GPB wrote: Believe it or not, we are nearly 250 years removed from being under the thumb of your monarchy.  We have moved on.
Not when it comes to guns and religion I might add...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jan 2015, 9:27 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Why do you say that Gillis has full privileges but Gore doesn't?

Must be odds on an MDF in store for Saturday; nice to see the early starters on the front skate round nine holes in 1 3/4 hrs.

EDIT: Thought any MDF might be at -1, but see the cut lurching towards -2 - could still be an MDF though!

Some mystery as to whether PAC Member Webb Simpson's excellent 62 was due to exceptional work with his short putter, or his friend from Disney World:

That isn't using the bible as sports psychology, that's blatantly seeking to cheat by employing an outside agency.
What sort of sanctimonious pr1ck thinks that golf is so "tough" that he needs an incest obsessed, slave condoning, self resurrecting invsible jewish sky zombie to "get him through"?

I wonder what verses he used? Maybe the one about stoning adulterers or homosexuals to death, how you can own and beat a slave or how it's just fine to send someone for eternal torture for not believing.

I might really dislike 9C, but at least he never brings up this pish.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 17 Jan 2015, 10:13 am

I still struggle to understand the value of insulting others religious or political views on golf discussion boards.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jan 2015, 10:16 am

robopz wrote:I still struggle to understand the value of insulting others religious or political views on golf discussion boards.

It's fair game if someone credits celestial assistance for their good round, and completely omit talent, coaching, practice and preparation.

If for example Shane Lowry thanked a Leprechaun for a good round, don't you think we'd comment on it because it's a stupid thing to say?

Ditto Simpson.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 17 Jan 2015, 11:18 am

robo

When the player makes the choice to claim that a religious belief has contributed to how they played golf it makes discussing that religion on a golf forum very sensible. Why would we not discuss that claim about playing better but discuss the claim that a change of swing coach worked?

Secondly I would feel very uncomfortable posting in an environment where something with as much influence as religion could not be challenged, regardless of the theme of the discussion forum. It would feel like an erosion of free and open discussion. You can tear into any belief I have and I hope you would afford me the same courtesy.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 17 Jan 2015, 11:21 am

robopz wrote:I still struggle to understand the value of insulting others religious or political views on golf discussion boards.
Simpson has himself chosen to share his beleifs/views with the world. He should accept criticism/ridicule. If not, shut up.
(And btw, I think ridicule is a more fitting word than insult.)

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jan 2015, 11:38 am

Well said Mac and pedro.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Jan 2015, 1:23 pm

You can be sure that Simpson and the rest would be pilloried from pillar to post if he revealed he kept notes from the Koran/Quran in his yardage book to inspire him and get him through the labours of his day.

(Interesting comparisons between the piffle spoken by some Tour pros after their rounds and the fines imposed by the NFL on Marshawn Lynch . . . . .. Very little difference in content of their responses in many cases. Though still highly recommend the link to Casey's interview I posted Friday.)

Regardless, Kaymer making quite the statement in Abu Dhabi, tho' I suppose he has about the same lead as King Charl enjoyed after 3 rounds last week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jan 2015, 1:31 pm

Kaymer certainly maturing into a top player. Seems to be making a habit of leading from the front.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 17 Jan 2015, 1:56 pm

Is it ridiculous to think that a sports psychologist helped a player perform well?

IMO, an athlete using their religious faith is pretty dang close too consulting a sports psychologist.  Both give an athlete the confidence to perform well.

Yes, you will never see Webb (or anyone else) blame God for the triple bogey that they might make.

Likewise they don't blame their sports psychologist either.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Jan 2015, 2:06 pm

Ah, they may not "blame their sports psychologist", they just fire them. Surprised Tiger hasn't forsaken (or perhaps he has?) Buddhism after last year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jan 2015, 2:24 pm

The big difference is that psychology is concerned with a physical object, the brain. encouraging the player to use it in a more productive way, i.e visualising the shot, focussing on a small target etc

Whilst having a gullible belief in a fictitious zombie might also help a player stay calm, as deep breathing might, or "thinking about your happy place" may, these guys actually believe that this celestial being cares for them and helps them play, that's a massive difference to improving your self confidence.

Simpson actually said " All thanks to god for giving me strength" Something he actually thinks has been bestowed upon him. Do you honestly think these self confessed bible thumpers are using it as their own brand of psychology or do you think it's simply subconscious?

You are right though when these self righteous hypocrites have a bad day, they never blame this  laughable god when they stink the place out, whereas a psychology advocate is far more likely to concede they weren't focussing properly, weren't in the zone,  weren't concentrating or just plain played badly.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 17 Jan 2015, 2:46 pm

You say to-MAH-to and I say to-MAY-to.  Its essentially the same thing and no amount of hyperbole and strawman and metaphorical BS arguments from you is going to convince me otherwise.

===============

BTW...Whats up with Shane Lowry?  No appearances in the Middle East this year as he is not in the Qatar tournament or the preliminary Dubai field.

He played in all three last year  and two of the three in 2013.   Of course, he Missed the cut in all five of those tournaments so maybe he thought..."Why Bother"?

I wonder if he is trying to secure some sponsor invites to some US tournaments next month.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 17 Jan 2015, 2:52 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Ah, they may not "blame their sports psychologist", they just fire them. Surprised Tiger hasn't forsaken (or perhaps he has?) Buddhism after last year.

And if one Bible Verse is not working....they move on to another one.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 17 Jan 2015, 3:00 pm

Has YE Yang done a "Todd Hamilton"?  Using his major win for Euro Tour status?  He is playing each event on the Middle East swing.

His 5 year exemption on the PGAT for the 2009 PGA expired last year and has only past champion status.

So I guess he has looked to the EuroT for playing opportunities.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jan 2015, 3:07 pm

GPB wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:Ah, they may not "blame their sports psychologist", they just fire them. Surprised Tiger hasn't forsaken (or perhaps he has?) Buddhism after last year.

And if one Bible Verse is not working....they move on to another one.

Might as well have quotes from Star Wars on your yardage chart, it's as much worth as a bible quote.

I would love it one day if one guy was in an interview after winning, and he started saying to the unimaginative interviewer and gathered rabble of slack jawed southern rednecks "Well you know, I prayed to god, I read a few verses and he really gave him the strength to win, I couldn't have done it without him"

You'd see all the bible thumpers clapping, nodding, whooping and hollering. Mullet Watson and Jesus Simpson would be high fiving and hugging each other........ Then........

"So I'd like to thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster......Got ya, you gullible morons. I won because I had a lower score than everyone else on the day, I practice hard and I have talent for this game, so thanks to my coach and my team and stick your imaginary zombie up your arse"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 17 Jan 2015, 3:25 pm

pssst...SuperRealist, its not what you think it does for a player that counts, it is what the player thinks that counts.

If reading a bible verse gives them the confidence to play well, who are you to argue with it.

At this level of the game, mental acuity is usually the biggest obstacle.  All the world class elite pros have the shots in their arsenal.  Its the confidence to pull the shot off that separates the men from the boys.  And for some players it is a bible verse that gives them a "virtual" mental crutch to lean on.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jan 2015, 3:33 pm

I know what you are meaning GPB, and whilst a verse advocating slavery, forcing a r***ist to marry their victim or condoning incest might not be inspiring for me the way it obviously is for Jesus Simpson, it's the lack of humility, stupidity of the belief, gullibility of the player thinking that the space zombie is looking out for them. That's what makes it so laughable.

We can draw inspiration form lots of things, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't laugh and ridicule of the face of someone naive enough to express to everyone their preposterously stupid beliefs were for doing well.

Would you have respect for someone who said "Thanks to the magic pixie for helping me win" Or would you think they were a lunatic? Simpson is a lunatic, at least in regards to his belief a celestial mafia boss is looking after his golf game.

It's the equivalent of a lucky pair of socks, you blame something else when they don't help you win. At least psychology might help you visualise a shot better, or focus on a small target, how can a bible verse do anything like that?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 17 Jan 2015, 3:40 pm

Reductio ad Absurdum and Strawman argument is a sloppy debate technique.

It was the player believes that counts.  Not you....not me.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jan 2015, 4:37 pm

Wrong again GPB, if you take inspiration from immoral verses from a stone age book, the rythym of a song, national anthem, motivational speech, scalding off your manager etc etc, that is one thing and perfectly acceptable by and large, we all find different things inspirational.
The mistake people like Simpson make is the assertion that this "strength" a.k.a inspiration is bestowed upon them from a celestial being for which there is never a justification, and that is the point where we should point and laugh for such a stupid statement, just as we would if someone thanked Poseidon or The Loch Ness Monster for their performance.

That's the point at which the justification for a good round becomes ridiculous.

What are you on about Reducto ad absurdium? comparing a belief in god with a belief in any other fairy tale is perfectly apt. They are indistinguishable from one another and you know that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 17 Jan 2015, 4:48 pm

How can the Lord continue to be Simpsons golfing shepherd if the long stick will be banned? Will He switch to the short one as well?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jan 2015, 5:16 pm

Hasn't he switched to the short crook already?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 17 Jan 2015, 5:40 pm

SuperRealist 

More Hyperbole...More Strawman...more Reductio Ad Absurdum.

all logical fallacies.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jan 2015, 5:47 pm

What strawman?

If you get inspiration from something written down, fine. Could be a note from your mum for all I care, but crediting the supernatural is why we rightly laugh at people like him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Jan 2015, 5:54 pm

Regardless of what's in Simpson's yardage book, that short putter of his will be under pressure if he continues to hit the ball well. Always kinda wobbly on short putts with his long job.
Just hope he has the strength to get through the day.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jan 2015, 5:59 pm

Surely he'll just say a prayer to his invisible deity Kwini in regards to the short stick, after all, the "lord" gives him the "strength" to shoot low rounds, so helping him putt should be a doddle.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 17 Jan 2015, 6:12 pm

I sure enjoy this as a golf board...  that is except for the times I come in here when the supposed "holders of universal truth" decide to circle their wagons and attack people for holding personal beliefs other than their own...  Those times I just want to gag.   Whatever happened to the basic tenet of respecting our fellow man by allowing him his beliefs as long as his doesn't impede on our ability to hold or exercise our own?  

So with that in mind... seems to me until Webb Simpson starts advocating Jihad on those guilty of "supremely arrogant prickishness", I don't see why anybody on this board should be concerned WHAT the hell (or heaven) he believes or takes inspiration from.

THERE!  So now can we get off this crap and get back to talking golf... sheesh.... !!!!

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jan 2015, 6:27 pm

He can believe what he wants Robo of course, and we wouldn't wish stop him from having them, but having personal beliefs doesn't make them immune from ridicule or from looking like an idiot if he expresses them in public as a justification for a good round of golf.

We are not required to have respect for the actual belief at all. How could I? I can only respect his right to believe what he likes, doesn't mean I can't laugh at them and point out why they are ridiculous and hypocritical.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Jan 2015, 6:39 pm

robo,
Couldn't agree more with your sentiment. EXCEPT: Simpson's fairy tale beliefs are facilitated by interviewers/networks who stick a mic in front of his face knowing full well what he's going to advertize.
And this is the guy who names his daughter after a hotel chain, presumably hoping for endorsements. What a pillock.
Don't imagine Justin Rose would get much air-time if every time he opened his mouth he came up with "I believe in Biggles".

Anyway, see what happens when there's no golf on??!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 17 Jan 2015, 7:15 pm

super_realist wrote:He can believe what he wants Robo of course, and we wouldn't wish stop him from having them, but having personal beliefs doesn't make them immune from ridicule or from looking like an idiot if he expresses them in public as a justification for a good round of golf.

We are not required to have respect for the actual belief at all. How could I? I can only respect his right to believe what he likes, doesn't mean I can't laugh at them and point out why they are ridiculous and hypocritical.
Ok... but WHY would you even want to ridicule someone for beliefs other than your own? Hey, I kinda wish Webb would put a sock in the religion talk myself, but I choose to leave it at that, instead of taking it the ridiculous extremes of offending every other person of faith in the world as well.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 17 Jan 2015, 7:36 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:robo,
Couldn't agree more with your sentiment. EXCEPT: Simpson's fairy tale beliefs are facilitated by interviewers/networks who stick a mic in front of his face knowing full well what he's going to advertize.
And this is the guy who names his daughter after a hotel chain, presumably hoping for endorsements. What a pillock.
Don't imagine Justin Rose would get much air-time if every time he opened his mouth he came up with "I believe in Biggles".

Anyway, see what happens when there's no golf on??!!
Oh come on Kwini... really?  Webb Simpson had a microphone shoved in his face yesterday because he was co-leader of a golf tournament, simple as that.  And damn skippy they knew what he was likely to say, but so what?  If that's what he's got to say... then let him say it.  (but notice yesterday Maltbie didn't let him go on much about it... when Webb started into his "verses" thing... Rog changed the subject pretty darn quick didn't he?)  

And the Wydham name thing... again so what?   Not something I'd particularly want to name my daughter... but then again... I read an article on how and why they came up with it, and doesn't sound all that unreasonable to me after knowing the way they arrived at it (which isn't what you indicate).      Heck, I've got a son that had I/we/she been able to come up with some masculine sounding name that symbolized a particular "moonlit pier in Jamaica" we'd encountered 9 months before his birth... he'd probably be named THAT!!!! (no Piers Morgan wisecracks please)

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Jan 2015, 7:53 pm

It's OK robo, Would think people on here despise Piers Morgan more than they ever would feel praising a god is a bit silly.

Sounds like Simpson snapped his anchored putter over his knee so: no going to "thy rod and thy staff they comfort" thee for Mr.Webb.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next