The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Fog 2005 - Deconstructing the worst horror movie of modern times !!

4 posters

Go down

The Fog 2005 - Deconstructing the worst horror movie of modern times !! Empty The Fog 2005 - Deconstructing the worst horror movie of modern times !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 01 Feb 2015, 11:16 pm

The 1980 horror film was the first movie that really scared the crap out of me as a kid......So much so that I wanted to get in my brothers bed !! (I was kinky back then too Wink ) My excuse though Is that I was only 23 at the time !! Wink ...

Best ghost movie ever made for my money...Love the film..

The 2005 film is probably the worst man sausage up of a home run movie there has ever been............Every thing was wrong and how the Director isn't working at Burger King and is still directing is beyond me !!..Let's look at the movies.........

1.. In the beginning of the original we have an old Man on the beach telling impressionable kids the story of the ship of lepers with eerie music in the background..Very atmospheric ..Already we are using our imagination to drum up bad thoughts and when it cuts to a deserted beach at night and then to an empty town we get a sense of foreboding......We know the people of this town are in for an nightmare they could never even dream to comprehend !!..

In the 2005 film we see the stupid ship sinking and get a look at the enemy so they are humanized straightaway !!!..........Hidden menaces are always more scary rule 1A !!!!!!!!!!!

2. The first kills are the fishermen on the boat........middle aged guys beat down with life, looking to make a few pounds and already we are on their side...These are harmless Men just doing their jobs.... When the eerie slow fog moves in..........We care about these guys...They are ordinary guys and we put ourselves in their places !!...When the ghosts shag the generator we know they are they are in trouble..and the scene is set !!

In the 2005 film it's not Fishermen....It's dumbass teenagers partying on a boat.......Who gives a toss If they get wasted....Good on the ghosts I say !!

3...The heroes in The Fog are just normal middleaged types with their own hangups...........We got the middle aged overworked single mother in the lighthouse.... she isn't hip, You can tell she loves her Son ...she is also stuck in a bit of a rut!!. We also have the middle aged guy wandering through life...a simple sort who just goes with the flow but has lived enough to be pessimistic ...He doesn't expect too much and he's nothing to look at !!..........A girl passing through town hitch hiking and a Priest struggling with his faith......Characters we can invest in...They are flawed like us !!

In the 2005 film we have pretty faces from teenage crap on the TV and a black geezer thrown in as comedy turn..........How original !!

4...The fog machine in the original madethe film eerie........It was intimidating..........The CGI was crap in the 2005 movie and looked artificial.

5....The soundtrack spelt out doom in the original and like with most of Carpenter's movies made you uneasy...................The 2005 soundtrack was crap...

6. The Fog is the enemy in the original......The ghosts are merely a by product that comes with it !!..............Like with Jaws the protagonists only make themselves available at the end and never get humanized....The enemy in the 2005 film is unveiled at the beginning.....We know who these people are.....If you know your enemy.......

7. The kills are crap with no suspense in the 2005 film.......

8. The ending is an insult........Kisses a ghost and becomes one..Do me a favor !!

9. The black guy hides in a fridge from the ghosts on the ship.........I mean what kind of incompetent ghosts are these b**tards !!....and shame on them for letting this irritating b**tard live anyway !!.......

10. Carpenter obviously cared about the material..He was obviously interested in the material as he wrote the damn thing.....This director looked like he was painting by numbers...He was the pits !!....

The Fog 2005 is an example of how not to make a horror film............It's an insult to the original and to it's audience...............

Apart from that it was alright.................. thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

The Fog 2005 - Deconstructing the worst horror movie of modern times !! Empty Re: The Fog 2005 - Deconstructing the worst horror movie of modern times !!

Post by Geordie Sun 01 Feb 2015, 11:34 pm

Agree. It's my favourite horror movie...and adrianne barbaeu... I'll save her anyday.....

But the remake was horrific. You just should shouldn't mess with classics like those.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

The Fog 2005 - Deconstructing the worst horror movie of modern times !! Empty Re: The Fog 2005 - Deconstructing the worst horror movie of modern times !!

Post by Geordie Sun 01 Feb 2015, 11:37 pm

Ps you sum it up perfectly

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Feb 2015, 12:31 pm

Should have made the film based of the James Herbert book. I watched the film when I was younger thinking it was going to be that. I was disappointed in the extreme. The only thing I can remember are worms on someone's arm. It's not a film I care to revisit

Dunno what the big deal is about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 02 Feb 2015, 1:35 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Should have made the film based of the James Herbert book. I watched the film when I was younger thinking it was going to be that. I was disappointed in the extreme. The only thing I can remember are worms on someone's arm. It's not a film I care to revisit

You're not a purist.............Fairplay though............

I don't like Dumb and Dumber much either !! (You would have been ideal for both roles !!).....So it takes all sorts.

Good luck to you..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Feb 2015, 2:03 pm

You're so kind...yet such a bell-end at the same time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 03 Feb 2015, 4:22 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Should have made the film based of the James Herbert book. I watched the film when I was younger thinking it was going to be that. I was disappointed in the extreme. The only thing I can remember are worms on someone's arm. It's not a film I care to revisit

Everyone is entitled to their own opinon Dave. I personally agree with Truss...that its an absolute classic....and the new one is appalling.

You may prefer others like Elm Street or some of the new horrors or even the likes of Saw or Human Centipede etc which is have no interest in ever watching.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Feb 2015, 5:32 pm

Geordie, I love "The Thing", I think that's a classic and have avoided watching the remake on sheer principle that you don't f**k with some things.

It's the same reason I refuse to watch the remake or sequels to "The Hitcher"

I've seen "Human Centipede" and wondered allowed where we'd gone wrong as a species.

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Tue 03 Feb 2015, 9:25 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Geordie, I love "The Thing", I think that's a classic and have avoided watching the remake on sheer principle that you don't f**k with some things.

I've seen "Human Centipede" and wondered allowed where we'd gone wrong as a species.

You should probably start there DAVE.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Feb 2015, 1:06 pm

trottb wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Geordie, I love "The Thing", I think that's a classic and have avoided watching the remake on sheer principle that you don't f**k with some things.

You should probably start there DAVE.
There's no excuse for that fubar of a typo, Trott, I tried the STONGBACK method of not spellchecking but it's clearly not for me, is it? I occasionally wonder if my fingers are possessed by malevolent spirits but it's more likely just slackness on an epic scale

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 04 Feb 2015, 1:20 pm

I think that you are doing the original SAW a disservice by lumping it in with other modern horror films. It really is very good.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 06 Feb 2015, 11:18 am

Funny thing about The Fog and The Thing...............Both didn't make any money....

Seemed to be a real snobbish attitude to horror back in the 80s............

Horror was for inferior types.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 11:40 am

Used to be that horror novels were everywhere in book shops and over the years they've whittled away to nothing. I blame Anne Rice....and then the silly tart who wrote Bridget Jones as everyone started doing it including men (die Mike Gayle, die) then we had JK Rowling inspiring every c*nt to write about child wizards and now EL James is inspiring tired menopausal women to write about kinky sex with some who isn't their husband

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down