The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Desert Has Turned to Sea: Notes from the Ballwasher

+24
Desperado
Seve76
Bob_the_Job
John Cregan
skiddy
super_realist
1GrumpyGolfer
navyblueshorts
SmithersJones
raycastleunited
beninho
incontinentia
JAS
sirbenson
Shotrock
Davie
Lairdy
kwinigolfer
McLaren
pedro
puligny
I'm never wrong
Roller_Coaster
GPB
28 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Desert Has Turned to Sea: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: The Desert Has Turned to Sea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 4 Feb - 4:03

1).Sure enough, the Tour travels 350 miles West to San Diego, leaving all that Waste Management behind and running into a bunch of Farmers.
From breathless anticipation at Tiger's latest reincarnation to mortal dread at what he'll come up with in Southern California.
The weather should be spectacular, the only slight fly in the ointment being the seemingly ever-present risk of "marine layer", known elsewhere in the world as fog.

2).These next three weeks on the California coast offer terrific "host" courses, Torrey Pines South, Pebble Beach next week and finally Riviera; pretty much as strong a three week stretch as we see all year.
This week the field will play 18 holes apiece at Torrey Pines North and South, then 36 holes at the "South" - last year scoring was about 31/2 strokes easier at the "North", so don't despair if your favourite shoots a 74 at the "South", it's about par for the course.

3).Last week saw Tiger's comeback and Thursday will see the return of Dustin Johnson. It looks like his prediction that it would take him exactly six months to sort his life out was spot on, and expect him to be competitive straightaway. His last suspicious absence, in 2012, saw him earn a Top Twenty in his first tournament back, at Memorial, and win in Memphis the following week. Don't be surprised if it's the proverbial deja vu all over again, with a return to Pebble Beach next week where he's won twice and should've won McDowell's US Open.

4).And Brooks Koepka will be playing again, from his lofty world ranking of #19 and sure to go higher very quickly. There were stumbles and bumbles from his closest competitors in Phoenix but he kept hanging about until he drained that 50-foot snake and made solid pars the rest of the way. We'll just have to wait and see whether he'll continue to play in Europe, but I'd bet he'll first target a Presidents Cup berth.

5).Snedeker had a T10 finish in Phoenix, his third of the young season after such a disappointing year in 2014. Two or three of the more bizarre injuries have hampered him including knee damage falling off a Segway, plus various apparently congenital rib ailments. And his putter cooled down. That seems to be working better now and he goes to Torrey Pines having won here three years ago and with four top tens in his seven other visits. Then it's on to Pebble where he won in 2013. Sneds is still not in The Masters and it would devastate him to miss out. Worth a small punt each way, don't you think?

6).Another player with a truly eccentric history is Lucas Glover, a wonderful "ball striker", yet arguably the worst putter on any Tour anywhere - currently 211th in putting in a stat where there are usually only about 185 players. But he also has enjoyed some success in San Diego and could make a rare appearance on the leaderboard if he can just get to the weekend.

7).What of Tiger? He had planned to attend Sunday's Super Bowl but high-tailed it back to Florida following Friday's fiasco. He was last spotted following Lindsey at Beaver Creek. No, seriously, it's a ski resort. In Colorado. You couldn't make it up. Bad place to get the yips though. He has an early Pro-Am time Wednesday so hopefully TWA gets him there on time. It's assumed he won't play Pebble or Riviera so he needs a strong effort here and/or Honda to earn a place in the Cadillac field.

8).Phil was equally disappointing last week - he's playing San Diego but taking two weeks off, then is committed for Honda. All we've seen from Phil this year is hot air and you'd think he needs a result almost as badly as Tiger.

9).The field for the "Farmers Insurance Open" is strong, but not as deep as last week. Casey, Davis, Donald, Donaldson, Knox, Laird, Poulter, Rose, plus Harrington and Lowry are all on hand. Luke Donald has done well here in the past with two runner-up finishes, but he's off to an awful start to his season. I'm most interested in Shane who's playing Pebble Beach as well.
Aussies Jason Day and Marc Leishman have runnered up here, and both are overdue a win.

10).Finally, before any knee-jerk action is taken further to the recent remarks of HSBC exec Morgan about the road forward for golf, he and we might want to cast an eye on how Tim Finchem manages his PGA Tour fiefdom before knee-jerking too many changes into the sport. His Tour is stronger than ever, sponsors are extending contracts longer than ever, and the rest of the golfing world would do well to learn some lessons from Timmy. PGA Tour "title sponsorship" is in place for most tournaments for years to come, probably over-subscribed.
On the Champions Tour, his flagship sponsor has just re-upped for TWENTY years.
That may not be HSBC's demographic, but surely it's not beyond the wit of international golf's leadership to apply some of Finchem's approach to other parts of the world.
It's a great game, don't screw it up.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Desert Has Turned to Sea: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Desert Has Turned to Sea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Wed 4 Feb - 4:24

Charlie Sifford passed away today, age 92.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Desert Has Turned to Sea: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Desert Has Turned to Sea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 4 Feb - 11:38

Hope the PGA Tour honours Charlie Sifford in some way - not holding my breath though.

Meanwhile, good to see Rory has settled his lawsuit - now he can focus on his golf without such distractions.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 4 Feb - 12:00

ouch, that is a bit of a hefty fee.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31130462
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 4 Feb - 13:35

Isn't that amount pointing towards RM being likely to "lose" the court case? Can't be far off what Horizon would have been due under the disputed contract anyway.

One thing I took - I don't believe they certainly wish each other well!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 4 Feb - 13:53

Roller, not sure I agree with that analysis.

For rory to only pay what he would have done without the split implies a slightly more even apportioning of blame.

if Rory was "in the wrong" then horizon should have got what they were owed plus compensation.

As it stands Rory will pay about 20% on his nike deal, which is what he would have expected to pay anyway. although my understanding of legal matters is pretty weak so that theory could be bat sh1t.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 4 Feb - 14:32

Love to see an albatross on a Par 4!

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/video-green-aces-par-4-after-ball-pops-out-bunker/

I see the Vic Open Pro-am has the answer to caddie issues.

Not a bad field for Victoria. Same strength of field as the web.com event in Columbia but half the owgr points.

Wish sponsors would raise the profile of some of the Aussie PGA and Sunshine Tour events, good to see Richard Green playing and nice to see his little bit of fun.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 4 Feb - 14:56

For the Fantasy players, Graham Delaet WD's from Farmers because of the flu.

V-Dub has WD from the Malaysia tournament.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 4 Feb - 15:12

I thought GDL had a very good shout this week. Shame he's missing, but it looks increasingly as if he's back!

EDIT: Other short-term absentees include Messrs Mahan and Streb in the Paternity Ward and Willie Mac with a damaged hand.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 4 Feb - 15:33

Fog delaying this morning's "Farmers" Pro-am. Hope that is not a portent for the rest of the week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 4 Feb - 16:24

kwinigolfer wrote:Fog delaying this morning's "Farmers" Pro-am. Hope that is not a portent for the rest of the week.

Morning Pro-Am down to 9 holes now.  Tiger is nearly guaranteed to break 80 now.

Saw something that San Francisco had no measurable rainfall in January for the first time in like 150 years.  Not sure how that bodes for Pebble Beach next week.  Probably a monsoon.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 4 Feb - 17:22

Pineapple Express expected to soak Northern California this weekend, hope it all clears up for next Thursday.

Given the two-course structure of the Farmers, hopefully there'll be enough wiggle room to keep reasonably on schedule. Upside is fab forecast, fog permitting.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 4 Feb - 19:22

Anyone playing Tiger Cliche Bingo?

He said "Needed Reps" and "Its a process".

Last edited by GPB on Wed 4 Feb - 22:17; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 4 Feb - 20:24

Did he say "It is what it is"?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 4 Feb - 20:53

Did he say "chipping yips"?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 4 Feb - 22:59

Kwini - played both courses at 13th Beach they are using this week. Very good, but no holes in one!! Courses dressed well for the event, and they have made it a big thing here.
Have since slipped across the water to Mornington Peninsula and courses are even better!!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 5 Feb - 0:07

GPB wrote:Anyone playing Tiger Cliche Bingo?

He said "Needed Reps" and "Its a process".
"Chris Como is history. I'm hiring Gary Player and Zinger."

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 5 Feb - 1:04

puligny wrote:Kwini - played both courses at 13th Beach they are using this week. Very good, but no holes in one!! Courses dressed well for the event, and they have made it a big thing here.
Have since slipped across the water to Mornington Peninsula and courses are even better!!!

Get yourself down to St Andrews beach, it is a really good course.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 5 Feb - 5:55

Mac - so I hear, but it's virtually bankrupt and in poor condition! Designed by Doak?
Played The Dunes instead and it is a real treat. very links like, though a couple of miles inland. Great test, especially in the wind, and all round very friendly and welcoming place.
Also playing 2 courses at Moonah Links, although one is I think a bit of a beast!

Kwini - great write up by the way. Tiger must be scratching the old barnet! Looks like the yips to me - I bet cameramen aren't lying down across the other side of any greens for a good worms eye view right now!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 5 Feb - 9:02

Hi puligny,
Unfortunately, and one would have to say he's brought it upon himself, Tiger is becoming more of an exhibit, or specimen now - would think all this scrutiny must be extremely damaging to his confidence. Even Fred Couples was following him in yesterday's Pro-Am, checking out what was going on.
It's not good for Woods, probably not good for golf.

Also not good for golf is fog, and "dense fog" is in this morning's forecast for San Diego.

Continued bon voyage,

PS: Nice leaderboard assembling in Malaysia.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 5 Feb - 9:39

Yes indeed and like you I am hoping/expecting something good from LW this year. Don't want to load the lad with pressure, but top man in my book. Both him and McD spot on with latest RandA BBC disaster!

Hey ho. kingston Heat (courtesy of JAS) on Sunday and Victoria on Monday! Not a bad way to finish up before wineries in Yarra Valley! Hard life!

Oh and I see one of the young English boys did a Speith at Australian in Aussie am, before falling on his face in matchplay!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 5 Feb - 11:53

puligny

The club/company that built and set up the club went bankrupt quite some time ago, but it has been resurrected in a pay and play format. The conditioning is good in terms of fairways and greens although I suspect for the design to flourish in all its glory some vegetation at the peripheries could be chopped back.

The value is stunning and the course really is worth playing, far superior to the other courses at that end of the peninsula.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 5 Feb - 12:14

Mac - looks a good layout, but from what I could see yesterday all a bit tired. Not recommended by locals at the moment - "we think we ended up with one course too many" was a typical sentiment. Shame because it should be good and was on my list but very pleased with the options we have chosen. The Dunes is best IMO with Moonah Legends a close second. Played most others on previous visits, and would happily play them all again, but Dunes is a bit special.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 5 Feb - 13:43

puligny, the architecture geeks I hang out with might beg to differ over the best course down that way but as long as you had fun that is the main thing. Kingston Heath is really pretty special and probably one of the best courses that will rival TOC in terms of courses built on flat'ish pieces of land.

If you have the time I would recommend taking a flight to tasmania as it is not only one of the most picturesque places I have visited but it has a great vibe a two great courses at barnbougle (dunes and lost farm).

PS It is crazy how cheap 13th beach is don't you think? Plus did you check out Barwon heads which is next door to 13th beach?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 5 Feb - 14:11

Bad time for Danny Willett to succumb to a bad back - again.

Lots to play for the next three days, but especially for Fleetwood, Warren, Wiesberger and Sullivan - all off to a fair to good start.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 5 Feb - 14:33

There is much speculation about Tigers current troubles but is it possible he just doesn't put enough hours in compared to the modern golfer? The story goes that he brought a new level of dedication to the game in terms of fitness and preparation but have things moved on ever more with the new generation of players.

Tiger has a bad MC and goes off to get some après ski with Vonn, I bet the new guys like Speith and Koepka hit the range on monday morning regardless of the result. I am sure tiger still hits the gym like a nut case but do we know if he still dedicates enough time to just playing the game?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 5 Feb - 15:44

kwinigolfer wrote:I thought GDL had a very good shout this week. Shame he's missing, but it looks increasingly as if he's back!

EDIT: Other short-term absentees include Messrs Mahan and Streb in the Paternity Ward and Willie Mac with a damaged hand.

Wasn't welcoming Dustin back to the tour was he?

Re Tiger - After his first round last week I took the opinion that he should stop all this "I'm ahead of schedule.... My power is back.... Feeling good." rubbish and try a little more humility. He should take the pressure off a little by being a bit more honest with himself and us. Acting like superman, to presumably intimidate others, when you no longer play like superman doesn't work. It worked before, it'll work for McIlroy right now, but it doesn't work for Tiger anymore.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 5 Feb - 15:54

Indeed Lairdy, surprised the aren't a few more damaged paws out there.
DJ is off with Justin Rose and Jason Day this morning so presumably he's kept his hands etc to himself in their families' company.

All a bit of a Fog On The Torrey Pyne right now, "poor visibility conditions will improve by noon" according to the Weather Channel. That's a bit late, they need to get a move on earlier than that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 5 Feb - 15:58

pssst, SoCal natives will tell you its a Marine Layer, not Fog.

I say to-MAY-to ... to-MAH-to

Already announced a 30 minute delay in tee times.  They can probably absorb another 60 minute delay and still complete the round in time.

Sunset is 5:25 pm local time.

Edit:  Another 30 minutes.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 5 Feb - 17:05

"Marine Layer"?
C'mon, If it's a marine layer, how come they never wrote a song about it?
You could get Lindisfarne to record it: "Marine Layer on the Tyne".

ESPN says tee times have gone out another half hour - wheels up at 10.00 a.m.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 5 Feb - 17:27

Fog or marine layer, whatever it is you can't play golf in it.

Spoiler:
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 5 Feb - 18:58

After a few early starters played a hole or two the fog returned and they're back at the clubhouse.

Perhaps it's special effects from the Golf Channel as now they'll most likely get almost all of the latest saga of Chipper Woods.

EDIT: Play to be resumed at 11.40 a.m., hopefully in time for the Golf Channel to show Tiger's first chip. There's a surprise.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 5 Feb - 19:48

No way they complete round 1 today.  

Probably half the field will not finish.  

They should catch up easily tomorrow....IF there is no fog tomorrow morning.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 5 Feb - 20:09

Don't know if anyone's said yet Kwini, but we have Gary Christian in the skysports studio and he's not bad. Also, got Tim Barter on site in the US now - reporting that Billy Horschel worked with Tiger on his chipping... I see it's made heehaw difference.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 5 Feb - 20:26

I'd think Gary Christian will be a top-flight broadcaster - heard him a few times moonlighting with a mic when he was playing web.com events. Quite amusing, well spoken and very knowledgeable.

As for Tiger: Has it gone from "He's back" to "His back"?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 5 Feb - 20:37

kwinigolfer wrote:

As for Tiger: Has it gone from "He's back" to "His back"?

You beat me to it Kwini. Tiger chips in on 11 (his 2nd) ... for a par I hasten to add .. and the US commentator says, with what I only assume passes for irony in America, "he's back"

As Tiger bends to pick the ball out of the hole it changes to "his back"

Grammar geeks and high school teachers around the States will tonight be having a field day with all those tweets saying "Tiger, your back" ... maybe the geeks and teachers will understand the real meaning though, however unintended they may be

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 5 Feb - 20:55

Marine layer? It's just Dustin puffin'....

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 5 Feb - 21:03

Tiger is a broken golfer at the moment. I suppose if anyone can come back via sheer will it's him ... but count me skeptical. You better enjoy him Thursdays and Fridays. I don't think we'll be seeing much weekend golf from him in the near future.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 5 Feb - 22:55

That's a sad sight, lovely Porsche though.

Can't really see what's next for him. Sure the recommendation of most experts would be to go back, cap in hand, to Butch Harmon. Whatever he does, he's got to find a swing that suits his physical condition and not sure he's quite reconciled to that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 5 Feb - 23:05

Yep, very sad to see!!! Agree regarding the Porsche haha!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 5 Feb - 23:16

If I had bad back, a Porsche would not be my first choice of vehicle to climb into and to exit.

that is why I like my pick up truck.  Not the smoothest ride, but sure is an easy enter and exit.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 5 Feb - 23:44

"I couldn't re-activate my glutes" wtf is that all about??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 5 Feb - 23:53

I just purchased a Range Roger Sport and, while it's a bit of a climb to get in and out, it sure is nice to be riding up higher.

Would not be surprised if Tiger took the rest of the year off.

Played Torrey Pines South last year. Nice to watch on TV but it seems like a distant memory as I stoke my wood stove insert for another "single digit" (F) evening. raspberry

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 5 Feb - 23:59

What a double-digit blow zero F evening?

Hope your RRS is good to you Sr.

My daughter just got back from serious glute activation, at yoga.
Don't think my glutes have ever been activated.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 6 Feb - 0:30

I think I activated my glutes when I had case of hemorrhoids a few years ago.

Nice round by Koepka to validate his win last week.

Laird with one of the best (if not the best) round on the South Course.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 6 Feb - 1:35

Looks like about 50+ (57?) golfers will have to finish Round 1 Friday.
Still the risk of fog, but hopefully not so bad.

Leaders on the South Course:
67: Vegas
68: Laird, Levin, English (17 holes played).
70: Glover, Toms, Owen (17 holes)
71: KJ Choi, Putnam, Curran (14), Harman (16)

Good from Donald and Poulter on the North Course.

"Doral" looks academic for Tiger - where will he fall to now in the owgr's? About 60th??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 6 Feb - 2:13

Not much carnage to Woods ranking.

He's only guaranteed to drop two spots, to #58 this week.  Senden and Frankie are definitely passing him.

Most of the players right behind him are not playing this week and too far behind to go ahead by attrition.

Blixt, Hoffman, English have an outside shot of passing him.

Delaet, Clark, Siem, Streelman should pass him next week, no matter what.

If he plays Honda, Tiger should be ranked in the 70's that week, his average will be less than 2.00.  If he is out until Augusta to play, he will probably be ranked close to #100.  His average will be about 1.50 if he sits out until Augusta.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 6 Feb - 7:53

"I need more reps ribs."

Maybe Lindsay should re-activate the glutes with some serious spanking?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 6 Feb - 8:57

Activating glutes?

My arse!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 6 Feb - 8:58

Disappointed to hear of Tiger's dormant glutes this morning ( ) )

How long can this cycle of injury and inability to play continue before he calls time on his career?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next