The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I don't understand SANZAR's disciplinary policy

3 posters

Go down

I don't understand SANZAR's disciplinary policy Empty I don't understand SANZAR's disciplinary policy

Post by Mr Fishpaste Tue 31 Mar 2015, 4:40 pm

After one particularly foul-tempered match (Sharks vs Chiefs) the citing commissioner had his work cut out for him, and the net result:

Bismarck gets a four week ban for a kick to the head (a fair call).

Hika Elliot gets a one week ban for a deliberate shoulder charge on the back of the Beast's head at a ruck (Only one week! a blow to the back of the skull is even illegal in MMA and UFC! and recall the ban Bakkies got for doing the same thing to Adam Jones - the only difference is that in this case the Beast was nowhere near the ball)

Frans Steyn has his red card initially overturned...only for SANZAR to appeal its own decision and then not only reinstate his red card but give him a 5 week ban. Essentially the same disciplinary body, in the space of two weeks gave two polar opposite rulings on the same incident. The first being that it wasn't illegal, and then the second that it was illegal and deserving of a greater sanction than Bismarck kicking someone in the head!

Liam Messam gets no card in the game but is cited post-match for a prolonged choke-hold on Bothma (after which Bothma required medical attention). He is found guilty of an illegal action, but given no punishment! What....

The SANZAR disciplinary rulings are more of a lottery than scrums these days...they might as well throw dice to decide the outcome (maybe they do)

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

I don't understand SANZAR's disciplinary policy Empty Re: I don't understand SANZAR's disciplinary policy

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 31 Mar 2015, 5:51 pm

Are there any video highlights where we can see what happened?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

I don't understand SANZAR's disciplinary policy Empty Re: I don't understand SANZAR's disciplinary policy

Post by Mr Fishpaste Tue 31 Mar 2015, 6:57 pm

I can only find clips of the Bismarck episode and the Messam incident. They happened at about the same time in the game, so the clips look virtually identical to begin with...

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 31 Mar 2015, 8:34 pm

Flip me, that kick to the face is disgraceful! I can't believe that gets 4 weeks, when Luke Marshall accidentally running back and clipping a player in the head gets 1 week more. Two completely different leagues, but still.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 31 Mar 2015, 10:06 pm

I suppose they could have felt the Messam one was not actually worthy of a red card, just a yellow?

What did Steyn do?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Wed 01 Apr 2015, 6:54 am

Steyn was involved in a nasty tip-tackle on Cruden. It was somewhat complicated by the fact that there were three tacklers involved. Steyn, being the one who initiated the tackle, got the red card and subsequent disciplinary hearing.

However my main problem with Steyn's disciplinary hearing is that the same regulatory body can say the one week that his tackle was legal and he shouldn't have even been carded let alone banned, and the next week say that it was illegal and give him a five week ban!

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down