The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

That really grinds my gears thread

+46
Galted
TopHat24/7
Scottrf
rIck_dAgless
JuliusHMarx
Steffan
lfc91
dyrewolfe
nadeem2099
Scott is Back
88Chris05
Tattie Scones RRN
lostinwales
Breadvan
SecretFly
huw
Duty281
President Trump
Corporalhumblebucket
Pr4wn
gw
incontinentia
Adam D
MIG
Hero
ShahenshahG
hampo17
seanmichaels
superflyweight
Mad for Chelsea
McLaren
dummy_half
compelling and rich
Mind the windows Tino.
Marco_Marky - Stuffington
aja424
Ent
Dolphin Ziggler
westisbest
Rowley
kingraf
TRUSSMAN66
Pal Joey
Stella
Derbymanc
Crimey
50 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

That really grinds my gears thread - Page 18 Empty That really grinds my gears thread

Post by Crimey Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Removed the old one because it was full of crap.

Remember that this section is open only under the condition that it isn't used to attack others. Attacks based on religion was a big reason why it was closed the last two times, so cut it out. If you can't play nicely, don't play at all. 

Next time I'm just deleting the section, it's a waste of my time having to wade through all the crap. This thread is supposed to be light-hearted, keep it that way.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

That really grinds my gears thread - Page 18 Empty Re: That really grinds my gears thread

Post by Scott is Back Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:54 am

"I also read somewhere that scientists have uncovered that cats are as intelligent as dogs. I await further research so that they can prove what any pet owners could have told them centuries ago - that cats could buy and sell dogs, and mostly always do."

Must be something to do with all those Guide-Cats you see? Whistle

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

That really grinds my gears thread - Page 18 Empty Re: That really grinds my gears thread

Post by SecretFly Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:57 am

??

I'm experiencing deja vu.... and a counter-attacking fight-back from dog lovers! (of which I'm one myself)

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:28 am

cats are lazy people pets, dont listen to a word you say and just do what they want. people get them over dogs so they dont have to walk them/just leave them in the house etc. you have to give more to a dog but its give a lot more back

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:02 am

Cats love that dogs are there to keep them off the leash. "Just feed me, ya basterde - and then go walk that dumb idiot over there in the corner with its tongue hanging out. I got TV to watch."

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:48 am

Cats are hateful creatures, couldn't care how they rank in the league of intelligence of household pets.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 am

Cat are very rewarding pets. Mine's just gone into the wicker cave that cost me £40 back in September for the very first time.

Edit: she's out again.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:46 am

Dogs over cats every time.

Dogs can:
Guide the blind
Sniff out drugs and explosives
Herd sheep
Fetch birds you shoot
Alert you to burglars / intruders & visitors
Play with you / your kids
Deter would-be muggers when you're out walking them
Provide a source of exercise while you're walking them
Welcome you enthusiastically when you come home

Cats can:
Look bored
Disappear for hours on end
Bring assorted dead animals into the house

I rest my case... Very Happy
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:28 am

Why anyone would want to share their home with an animal is beyond me

But there we are each to their own I guess

That being said I grew up in a house with a dog I was fond of so I can slightly see the appeal

Owning a cat though. Why? Just why?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:59 am

Steffan wrote:

Owning a cat though. Why? Just why?

To stop dog sized rats eating your cereal and nesting in your garden shed?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:22 am

dyrewolfe wrote:Dogs over cats every time.

Dogs can:
Guide the blind
Herd sheep
Fetch birds you shoot

You left out 'kill babies & toddlers'.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:28 am

I know, shocking by cats

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a29257153/attempted_baby_killing_cat

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:31 am

Ent wrote:Cats are hateful creatures, couldn't care how they rank in the league of intelligence of household pets.
picard
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:32 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:Dogs over cats every time.

Dogs can:
Guide the blind
Herd sheep
Fetch birds you shoot

You left out 'kill babies & toddlers'.
laughing True...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:33 am

The Egyptians had it right, cats are the master species.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:33 am

Yeah, a cat wouldn't be one to overly trust with a baby. But I suppose it just goes to show how both cats and dogs are quite intelligent. You can't trust either of them or humans fully when babies and toddlers are around.
Intelligence might be an over-praised trait......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:39 am

dyrewolfe wrote:

Cats can:
Look bored
Disappear for hours on end
Bring assorted dead animals into the house

And yet still persuade millions of people to keep them in their houses and feed them. Clever, eh?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:43 am

And whilst your sat there, typing how wonderful your cat(s) is it's thinking your just a massive dope https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/scientist-cats-think-you-are-just-a-big-stupid-cat/

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:47 am

Derbymanc wrote:And whilst your sat there, typing how wonderful your cat(s) is it's thinking your just a massive dope https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/scientist-cats-think-you-are-just-a-big-stupid-cat/

Yep, once again cats get it about right.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:49 am

Anyway.  On to other things.  Grinding gears?  That a man named Arsène Wenger could be in charge of one team for so long with so little to show for it and never having gotten the sack.  

Okay, it doesn't grind my gears as I seldom watch football...but I know about this continuously failing coach who seems to still keep avoiding the sack.  How weird in a dog-eat-dog (cat-eat-cat) [cat-eat-baby] football world.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:52 am

SecretFly wrote:Anyway.  On to other things.  Grinding gears?  That a man named Arsène Wenger could be in charge of one team for so long with so little to show for it and never having gotten the sack.  

Okay, it doesn't grind my gears as I seldom watch football...but I know about this continuously failing coach who seems to still keep avoiding the sack.  How weird in a dog-eat-dog (cat-eat-cat) [cat-eat-baby] football world.
If winning trophies was the only measure of success, we have roughly 70 management failures every year in football.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:54 am

perhaps...but still... this guy seems to have a charmed existence in comparison to other coaches in the same level.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:54 am

SecretFly wrote:Anyway.  On to other things.  Grinding gears?  That a man named Arsène Wenger could be in charge of one team for so long with so little to show for it and never having gotten the sack.  

Please, SF - no-one comes on to 606v2 to talk about sports.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:56 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Damn you and your swiftness.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:56 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:

I know, I know.. but I had to try think on my feet to get us away from cats.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:45 pm

How do you measure success in the loony world of football? And don't saying winning a league/cup, as everyone bar about 20 managers in the entire U.K. would be in a different job next season.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:08 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

How do you measure success in the loony world of football? And don't saying winning a league/cup, as everyone bar about 20 managers in the entire U.K. would be in a different job next season.

That's not too far off what happens.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/26/sack-race-record-managerial-dismissals

Although that's from The Guardian, so SF may not accept the figures Wink

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:37 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

I'd measure success against failure - and 20 years of elaborate excuses and dreary interviews would be a starter, and then I'd work from there Wink

Cool Politics gets everywhere. Fly is now talking about football! Quick, disagree with him!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:40 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

That's not too far off what happens.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/26/sack-race-record-managerial-dismissals

Although that's from The Guardian, so SF may not accept the figures Wink

I like the Guardian comments section!  Their own readers practically disagree with everything they say, by the bucket load.  

But I do read it quite a bit Wink  Always do what you challenge others to do.

But back to the thread.....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:59 pm

Plenty of respect for Arsene but I think enough is enough now, he's come to the end of his time. He's been desperate to recreate his cheap team of the 90s and repeatedly failed. He's never found replacements for a Bergkamp or a Viera etc. This "can't compete financially" stick is horsesh!t too - Ozil cost more than Hazard, Xhaka more than Kante and Mustafi more than what they could have got Cahill for.

When you see the likes of Klopp going to Liverpool and Conte going to Chelsea, you can't say he's as good as they can get. They can/could still attract top manager talent.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:05 pm

He's sitting above Klopp in the table though and only one of them made the Champions League. Also Arsenal are further in the FA cup.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:12 pm

Yes but one of them is building, the other is stagnating. Klopp also inherited a worse state of affairs than Arsenal, IMO.

Conte is a top drawer manager than inherited a top team and he's streaking ahead in the league.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:27 pm

think if they sack arsene it will get worse before it gets better, can see them dropping out of top 4. only have to look at uniteds recent woes to see its not easy replacing a long term manager, and while they may get a bit more backbone it will be hard to replicate arsenes attacking style.

arsenal fans showing how fickle they are. dont mind them wanting a change thats fine but the hostility shown to their greatest ever manager is a bit much

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:36 pm

laughing

20 years just about encapsulates almost the entire history of the English Premiership. So it's more accurate to say he's practically their only manager to date under that new framework. Not much argument against saying he's the 'greatest' when you get around to acknowledging he's been the only one tried out.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:54 pm

football did start before the prem fly, he's their greatest ever. no other manager in their history has 3 league titles and 6 fa cups

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:01 am

compelling and rich wrote:football did start before the prem fly, he's their greatest ever. no other manager in their history has 3 league titles and 6 fa cups

Maybe so. He just seems to me to be a guy that dug himself into the structure so deeply that he became virtually responsible for sacking himself - and obviously and evidently, he never felt that was necessary Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:18 am

we dont judge ali on loses to holmes and berbick.

think its easy to look negatively on his latter career and forget what a great manager he has been for arsenal. i believe it was the board who cut his purse strings while the new stadium was being built. hes been happy to spend money on likes of sanchez and ozil since the move. his real problem has been not buying decent enough defensive players, something he was gifted when coming into the job.

can only think of sol campbell as the real good defensive players he's signed (petit maybe as a midfielder). the rest were already there

he's still won plenty though, winning the prem is no mean feet. only him, jose and fergie have won it more than once.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:30 am

Arsenal don't spend the same amount of money as other clubs.....So finishing second or third regularly is no mean feat.

The fans seem to find it hard to realise that the reason he is still there is that he makes money for Arsenal and gets Champion's league football on a tighter budget than his rivals...Year after Year...

Arsenal have one of the biggest cash reserves in World football.......

It's a well run club and financially stable......Haven't got the clout of City and Utd...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:26 am

Don't spend money....... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:34 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Don't spend money....... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Moving on....

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:35 am

compelling and rich wrote:we dont judge ali on loses to holmes and berbick.

think its easy to look negatively on his latter career and forget what a great manager he has been for arsenal. i believe it was the board who cut his purse strings while the new stadium was being built. hes been happy to spend money on likes of sanchez and ozil since the move. his real problem has been not buying decent enough defensive players, something he was gifted when coming into the job.

can only think of sol campbell as the real good defensive players he's signed (petit maybe as a midfielder). the rest were already there

he's still won plenty though, winning the prem is no mean feet. only him, jose and fergie have won it more than once.

I don't think Ali is a very good comparison......One of the best records in Boxing history....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:37 am

Kochielny...

BTW Arsenal have the third highest net spend over the last 5 years.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:41 am

Scottrf wrote:Kochielny...

They balance the books............As I've mentioned they should be happy with 2nd or 3rd.....

How much did Pogba cost ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:45 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

They balance the books............As I've mentioned they should be happy with 2nd or 3rd.....

Only finished second once since 2006. Most common position is 4th. So yeah would be happy with 2nd or 3rd.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:50 am

Scottrf wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Only finished second once since 2006. Most common position is 4th. So yeah would be happy with 2nd or 3rd.

Only finished 4th in 2 of the last 5 years and not in the last two seasons.............But I appreciate your efforts....... thumbsup ..

Maybe you should add up all his finishes and give us the most common....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:46 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Only finished 4th in 2 of the last 5 years and not in the last two seasons.............But I appreciate your efforts....... thumbsup ..

Stick to boxing Yankee boy. Embarassing yourself trying to talk FOOTball. Arsenal are huge spenders, they just spend badly.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:50 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Stick to boxing Yankee boy. Embarassing yourself trying to talk FOOTball.  Arsenal are huge spenders, they just spend badly.

Laugh

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon May 15, 2017 7:51 pm

When one of the most pathetic companies when it comes to software security and bugs sees fit to tell everyone else that the recent ransomeware issue should be a 'wake up' call:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39915440
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon May 15, 2017 8:50 pm

When everyone suddenly starts panicking over said attacks and pushing the anti virus crap despite not caring for the past 5 years

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon May 15, 2017 8:55 pm

Also the fact that the media is attacking the NHS so viciously over the attacks, despite the fact that lots of other companies had been affected including those not considered "antiquated". It's just yet another way for them to get rid of the NHS so I'm sure the Tories are very happy letting that perception run and run.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon May 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Loose bits sink ships...

Yeah, a wake up call for themselves no doubt.
I mean, ffs... more blame shifting... and as Crimey says -  a perfect excuse to undermine institutions like the NHS.

How can we, the forced users of this type of sophisticated technology - all day every day - have an iron clad guarantee that all of our private and valuable information is securely held within these monolithic storage systems... today, tomorrow and every day into the future?

No way possible unfortunately.
Once it's out and already into some malicious outfit's 'hands' then it is indeed a cyber crime version of stolen tomahawk missiles.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next