The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone been to Southsea?

5 posters

Go down

Anyone been to Southsea? Empty Anyone been to Southsea?

Post by westisbest Tue 07 Apr 2015, 3:47 pm

Whats it like?

My other half was looking at it and said she would'nt mind going.

Was going to take her and our son.

Not to far from where we are. So least not a long journey.
Thinking of going next month.

Or Brighton, maybe better.

Cheers.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Anyone been to Southsea? Empty Re: Anyone been to Southsea?

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 07 Apr 2015, 5:03 pm

I went to University (for a year anyway) in Portsmouth and lived in Southsea.

It's a sh*thole from what I remember. It will be heaving with students if you go in term time. That's where pretty much all of them live. Or at least they did in 1998.

I honestly can't think of a reason to go there, unless it has changed dramatically in the last 15 or so years. There are lots of 'studenty' type pubs, a Spar, a launderette and Dominos pizza. Portsmouth city centre isn't that much better.

Brighton would be far better, pal. More money but a totally different place to visit. Brighton is lovely. Southsea is not.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 07 Apr 2015, 5:11 pm

Cheers Tino.

Brighton I think might be better.
More to do for the boy aswell.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:14 pm

I lived there for five years until 2011, and still live close by. Tino's doing it a big disservice. During the daytime Southsea's fine, particularly along the seafront. There's plenty of family friendly stuff to do, and Sunday's are usually decent, as there is usually live music on the bandstand.

I'd avoid Commercial Road like Tino said, but Old Portsmouth and Gunwharf are good places to visit as well.

On the whole Brighton is better, but I wouldn't write Southsea off, you just need to know the areas to avoid.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:31 pm

We would only be going for one night, wouldn't be out late ( boy is only 17 months old).

Would leave Bournemouth early on the saturday.
If I could get away with it might find somewhere to watch Saints/Villa.

I will have a look at both places tomorrow.
Southsea is a bit closer, so may look at that first.

Cheers again.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 08 Apr 2015, 8:40 am

Nakatomi Plaza wrote:I lived there for five years until 2011, and still live close by. Tino's doing it a big disservice. During the daytime Southsea's fine, particularly along the seafront. There's plenty of family friendly stuff to do, and Sunday's are usually decent, as there is usually live music on the bandstand.

I'd avoid Commercial Road like Tino said, but Old Portsmouth and Gunwharf are good places to visit as well.

On the whole Brighton is better, but I wouldn't write Southsea off, you just need to know the areas to avoid.

No offense, pal. As I said, it was 1998 and I'm sure a lot has changed in the following 17 years.

I haven't been back so I'm more than happy to bow to your superior knowledge of the place. I hated University (hence only doing 1 year) so my memory of the place is probably tainted by that and unfair.

The 'new' Gunwharf was barely constructed when I was there but from memory it only had a few restaurants and some shops. They threw money at it though even back then so I'm sure it's better now.

Westy, ignore my previous post. Nakatomi obviously has a far better grasp of the place than I do, I'll willingly concede that.

Have a good time, whatever you decide.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 08 Apr 2015, 9:34 am

Hastings is nice and not as far as Brighton.

Last time I went to Portsmouth / Southsea was3 or 4 years ago to Gunwharf. Still a bit of a sh1thole everywhere apart from Gunwharf and the Spinnaker. Probably more to do there than Southampton though and you have the naval stuff etc. Think they got all the money.

Why wouldn't you stay in Bournemouth? Go to Christchurch and get the Wick Ferry from Tuckton Tea rooms to Mudeford Quay. Get some fish and chips and do a bit of crabbing. Spot on.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 08 Apr 2015, 12:33 pm

Done all that.
Quite enjoy crab fishing down Poole.

Bournemouth's great, but its good to get away for a night.

Leaning towards Brighton.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 09 May 2015, 7:53 pm

Well, opted for Brighton.

Going next saturday morning for the night.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sat 09 May 2015, 9:39 pm

I like Southsea, you've got the little beachfront to walk along, a play area and park just opposite that, a couple of half decent restaurants (Mozarella Joe's is ace) then you've got the little arcades and tiny fair on the pier. Go into the naval base and have a little boat trip round the ships that are in and a couple of bits to see in the base.

Oh and you could always go on the hovercraft over the water (20 quid for you and the missus, little un should be free if I remember right)
Not bad for a day or 2 but not much else after that.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 09 May 2015, 11:57 pm

Could always do Southsea another time. Maybe just a day trip.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum