The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twickenham travel guide

+19
cakeordeath
lauriehow
SecretFly
GLove39
Hound of Harrow
Bathman_in_London
doctor_grey
LondonTiger
BamBam
Jimpy
plenth
offload
propdavid_london
PenfroPete
yappysnap
bedfordwelsh
jimbopip
Irish Londoner
RDW
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Twickenham travel guide

Post by RDW Tue 21 Apr 2015, 9:04 am

Thought I'd start a discussion and advice thread for those heading to the Challenge Cup and Champions Cup finals - I've never been to Twickenham before so looking for some recommendations for

- Travel from central London and back again at night
- How busy trains / tube are
- Good places to drink and eat
- Anything else of interest

I'm going to the Challenge Cup final so any recommendations for the Stoop would be good too, but I'm sure there will be people on here going to Twickers for the main event so feel free to post recommendations for that too.

Cheers!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32185
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Irish Londoner Tue 21 Apr 2015, 9:26 am

1- Travel from central London and back again at night
There are load of trains to and from central London which run pretty much all the way up to midnight, there are usually extra trains out on after games as well.

2 - How busy trains / tube are
Trains are busy for about two hours either side of kick off/final whistle, unless you have to get home or have a flight to get, stay around Twickenham or head to Richmond.

3 - Good places to drink and eat
Twickenham has loads of pubs and restaurants ranging from McD's and fish'n'chips to Italian, Chinese, and even a few upmarket ones - if you want anything beyond something to soak up beer, Tripadvisor is your friend.
For a real nostalgia trip there's a Wimpy so British people of a certain age can relive their childhood.
Pubs are OK, most will be packed and some seem to have an alternative price system when the rugby's on. IMHO you're better off starting in Richmond and then getting the bus/train to Twickenham.
If you must (and get there early) it's worth sticking your head in the Cabbage Patch as it's very much the rugby pub - also check the Quins website as they sometimes open the bars when theres something on.

4 - Anything else of interest
The rugby museum and the RFU shop are worth a visit if you're that way inclined, otherwise Twickenham is just a suburban commuter town for London. In the area Hampton Court Palace and Kew Gardens are a pleasant way to pass a sunny day and of course London has lots to do if you're visiting.

Irish Londoner

Posts : 1608
Join date : 2011-07-10
Age : 61
Location : Wakefield

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by jimbopip Tue 21 Apr 2015, 9:57 am

RDW, prepare to be disappointed (whatever the result) Twickers is one of my least favourite grounds. Whereas Murrayfield and the Millenium, my favourite, are close to the city centre and you are able to walk from the ground into a decent boozer Twickers is in the middle of nowhere. It's a long walk back into Twickenham and you'll most likely find the pubs full and doormen keeping you out by the time you get there.
The pubs in Twickenham do have a different pricing on Match days. Last time I was there  (about six years ago) they had all taken the tables and chairs out to cram more people in and all beers were £4 a pint, saves time working out the price. Between Twickenham and the stadium every house's drive had a burger stall selling greasy offerings at vastly inflated prices. At this year's Calcutta cup match I was with three front row sized chaps and the stadium seats were so small and squeezed so close that I felt as if we were giving each other an 80 minute lap dance.  For me Twickenham always feels like a slow motion, but very polite, mugging.
However, last time we went we found a decent boozer! There was a good rugby crowd in there and they said they went there before every 6N's match. Get off the train at Isleworth and there is a pub called the Royal Oak half way between there and the ground. It had a good selection of beers (it is a Fullers pub), a Barbie on the patio, restaurant inside (you need to book though) , and lots of TV's showing the Ireland-wales match. The landlord was very friendly in an Al Murray kind of way.When you come out follow the canal to the stadium, about five minutes walk.
After the match get as far from Twickers as possible as quickly as possible. We got a taxi into Richmond which has a good selection of bars and eateries.
Enjoy and I hope the Luvvies get a result. If you find you have a spare ticket give me a thought.

p.s. For the Calcutta Cup game we stayed at the Hilton Heathrow and got a taxi to the game. Hence finding the Royal Oak, "Take us to a decent pub near the ground, please." And we got lucky. If you fly down from Scotland's second city you might find an airport hotel much cheaper than going into, and then travelling out of, central London.

jimbopip

Posts : 6608
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 21 Apr 2015, 12:38 pm

RDW,

I will buck the trend here as I am (I think) one of the few Non English that actually like Twickenham.

Getting to the ground fairly easy, plenty of different trains call there from Waterloo some are quicker than others.  Getting back expect a fair queue but they are still quite regular back into the City and the queue seems to move quicker than it does out of Cardiff on match days.  Though not sure what they will be like after your game on a Friday night but as the England Wales WC game is a Saturday night I hope they are good.

There are not many pubs close to Twickenham but loads of bars beer tents etc, however there are a fair few pubs in very close proximity when you get off the train.

In previous years we have gone to Richmond to start with, loads of pubs and still easy train links from the City, from there they have regular Twickenham special buses at a very cheap cost.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9962
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 55

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by RDW Tue 21 Apr 2015, 12:41 pm

Thanks guys - some useful info.

For those that haven't seen me mention it before, I already had the flights and hotel booked as we were going to be down in London that weekend anyway for my dad's 60th! Just good luck that we now have a final to go to as well!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32185
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 21 Apr 2015, 12:51 pm

Where you staying in London? If you are looking for a good rugby pub on the Saturday to watch the final then the Thornbury Castle near Marylebone is one of the best I have found in London.

Bit expensive but guaranteed the rugby will be on rather than one of these generic sports bars.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9962
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 55

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by RDW Tue 21 Apr 2015, 12:58 pm

Staying near Tower Bridge.

We've moved my dad's birthday meal to the Saturday night, so don't think we'll be able to watch the final. Apparently we need to consider what my mum and sister want to do too! Rolling Eyes

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32185
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by yappysnap Tue 21 Apr 2015, 1:03 pm

I always get the train from Clapham to Richmond and then walk from Richmond. Generally Richmonds quieter and the walk isn't too bad, there are quite a few pubs/restaurants about and although there'll be fans there, it won't be jammed. Also there are plenty of watering holes on the way if you do walk.

DON'T TRY TWICKENHAM STADIUM POST GAME! At least not for a couple of hours, it is a scrum and not the good kind kind!

yappysnap

Posts : 11926
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 35
Location : Christchurch, NZ

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 21 Apr 2015, 1:10 pm

yappysnap wrote:I always get the train from Clapham to Richmond and then walk from Richmond. Generally Richmonds quieter and the walk isn't too bad, there are quite a few pubs/restaurants about and although there'll be fans there, it won't be jammed. Also there are plenty of watering holes on the way if you do walk.

DON'T TRY TWICKENHAM STADIUM POST GAME! At least not for a couple of hours, it is a scrum and not the good kind kind!

We never go there straight from game, then again I never go straight to the station after a game in Cardiff as like you said its a nightmare. Which makes me wonder what it will be like come the Wales/England WC game which is an 8pm Saturday night kick off Doh
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9962
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 55

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by PenfroPete Tue 21 Apr 2015, 1:37 pm

RDW - there is only one person you need to get on the case, the one, the only Dog of HARROW. I'll get him on the case OK
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Posts : 3415
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 61
Location : Pentre'r Eglwys, Cymru

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by propdavid_london Tue 21 Apr 2015, 1:47 pm

The Twickenham Brewery is my watering hole before games. They are normally open before all Quins home games and internationals at HQ.
http://twickenham-fine-ales.co.uk/


propdavid_london

Posts : 3502
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by offload Tue 21 Apr 2015, 3:12 pm

I've always enjoyed some post match drinks with my English mates at the Turks Head. Get's crowded quickly and requires a quick dash up Chertsey Road as soon as the match ends. If you want to stay in a rugby atmosphere don't go closer to town than Richmond.
offload
offload

Posts : 2292
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 106
Location : On t'internet

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by plenth Tue 21 Apr 2015, 3:16 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Staying near Tower Bridge.

We've moved my dad's birthday meal to the Saturday night, so don't think we'll be able to watch the final.  Apparently we need to consider what my mum and sister want to do too! Rolling Eyes


There are a couple of good pubs round that area that should be showing the rugby if you get the chance.

http://thedeanswift.com/ is one of my favourite London pubs, has a great guest craft beer selection, pretty good food, is right next to Tower Bridge but tucked off the beaten path.

http://www.redcarpubs.com/The-Wheatsheaf has loads of screens (which they can split for different sports if something else conflicts) and plenty of guest ales.


They won't be showing the rugby, but these are decent places in the vicinity.

http://drafthouse.co.uk/ is right on Tower Bridge Rd and has a huge beer selection covering British, German, Belgian & American craft.

http://www.george-southwark.co.uk/ is one of the few pubs in the area with decently large outside seating if the sun is shining, plus if you're feeling homesick they've got Brewdog Punk IPA on draft.

plenth

Posts : 22
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Jimpy Tue 21 Apr 2015, 3:25 pm

jimbopip wrote:RDW, prepare to be disappointed (whatever the result) Twickers is one of my least favourite grounds. Whereas Murrayfield and the Millenium, my favourite, are close to the city centre and you are able to walk from the ground into a decent boozer Twickers is in the middle of nowhere. It's a long walk back into Twickenham and you'll most likely find the pubs full and doormen keeping you out by the time you get there.
The pubs in Twickenham do have a different pricing on Match days. Last time I was there  (about six years ago) they had all taken the tables and chairs out to cram more people in and all beers were £4 a pint, saves time working out the price. Between Twickenham and the stadium every house's drive had a burger stall selling greasy offerings at vastly inflated prices. At this year's Calcutta cup match I was with three front row sized chaps and the stadium seats were so small and squeezed so close that I felt as if we were giving each other an 80 minute lap dance.  For me Twickenham always feels like a slow motion, but very polite, mugging.
However, last time we went we found a decent boozer! There was a good rugby crowd in there and they said they went there before every 6N's match. Get off the train at Isleworth and there is a pub called the Royal Oak half way between there and the ground. It had a good selection of beers (it is a Fullers pub), a Barbie on the patio, restaurant inside (you need to book though) , and lots of TV's showing the Ireland-wales match. The landlord was very friendly in an Al Murray kind of way.When you come out follow the canal to the stadium, about five minutes walk.
After the match get as far from Twickers as possible as quickly as possible. We got a taxi into Richmond which has a good selection of bars and eateries.
Enjoy and I hope the Luvvies get a result. If you find you have a spare ticket give me a thought.

p.s. For the Calcutta Cup game we stayed at the Hilton Heathrow and got a taxi to the game. Hence finding the Royal Oak, "Take us to a decent pub near the ground, please." And we got lucky. If you fly down from Scotland's second city you might find an airport hotel much cheaper than going into, and then travelling out of, central London.

Pretty much invalidates most of your advice I'd say....

There's a good pub near to Twickenham tube station - The Albany. A little out of the way - get's busy but never to the point of 'Cabbage Patch' proportions. Turn left out of the tube, down the steps to the left, under the bridge and it's right in front of you.

I've not experienced price hiking in any of the pubs I've been to on match day - but then, I haven't visited them all.

Jimpy

Posts : 2823
Join date : 2012-08-02
Location : Not in a hot sandy place anymore

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 21 Apr 2015, 3:32 pm

I think price hikes are part and parcel of any big event if you go to the main pubs. I love the Owain in Cardiff on match day but they bump prices up as well.

I think if you can get a pint for under £3.50 on match days then you're doing well.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9962
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 55

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by RDW Tue 21 Apr 2015, 3:34 pm

Having drank in many central Edinburgh pubs I'm used to not finding a pint for less than £3.50! That would be cheap!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32185
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by BamBam Tue 21 Apr 2015, 3:41 pm

There's a couple of good pubs on the walk between Whitton station and Twickers, but I can't for the life of me remember what they're called

Whitton is the stop after Twickenham if travelling from London, much less likely to have to wait for too long for a train there too I've found

BamBam

Posts : 17124
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Jimpy Tue 21 Apr 2015, 4:01 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I think price hikes are part and parcel of any big event if you go to the main pubs.  I love the Owain in Cardiff on match day but they bump prices up as well.

I think if you can get a pint for under £3.50 on match days then you're doing well.

Well Twickenham is London, and an allegedly posh part of it at that. The prices are high there, but normal for London.

Jimpy

Posts : 2823
Join date : 2012-08-02
Location : Not in a hot sandy place anymore

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by LondonTiger Tue 21 Apr 2015, 7:01 pm

Jimpy wrote:There's a good pub near to Twickenham tube station - The Albany.

When did Twickenham get a tube station?

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 23485
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by offload Tue 21 Apr 2015, 7:06 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Jimpy wrote:There's a good pub near to Twickenham tube station - The Albany.

When did Twickenham get a tube station?

Not heard?  It's part of the investment programme for the world cup.  Going to call it Woodward Central in honour of the only time England will lift the trophy.  Wink


Last edited by offload on Tue 21 Apr 2015, 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
offload
offload

Posts : 2292
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 106
Location : On t'internet

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by jimbopip Tue 21 Apr 2015, 9:16 pm

RDW, the nearest tube station is half an hours walk away from Twickers, so don't be following that advice.
Hope you and your dad enjoythe diddy cup final. Hug

jimbopip

Posts : 6608
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Jimpy Wed 22 Apr 2015, 8:30 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Jimpy wrote:There's a good pub near to Twickenham tube station - The Albany.

When did Twickenham get a tube station?

Pedant.

Okay, it isn't a tube station, its an overland line. But its often referred to as a 'tube' line (some of them do see daylight too you know) by many, purely because it's part of the greater London rail network.

Jimpy

Posts : 2823
Join date : 2012-08-02
Location : Not in a hot sandy place anymore

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Jimpy Wed 22 Apr 2015, 8:32 am

offload wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
Jimpy wrote:There's a good pub near to Twickenham tube station - The Albany.

When did Twickenham get a tube station?

Not heard?  It's part of the investment programme for the world cup.  Going to call it Woodward Central in honour of the only time England will lift the trophy.  Wink

Well, its a good job they're naming it after English World Cup winning coaches, if it were to be named after a Welsh one, it would be forever nameless wouldn't it...

Jimpy

Posts : 2823
Join date : 2012-08-02
Location : Not in a hot sandy place anymore

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Jimpy Wed 22 Apr 2015, 8:33 am

jimbopip wrote:RDW, the nearest tube station is half an hours walk away from Twickers, so don't be following that advice.
Hope you and your dad enjoythe diddy cup final. Hug

How do you know, according to you, its six years since you were there.... Whistle

Jimpy

Posts : 2823
Join date : 2012-08-02
Location : Not in a hot sandy place anymore

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by LondonTiger Wed 22 Apr 2015, 8:45 am

Jimpy wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
Jimpy wrote:There's a good pub near to Twickenham tube station - The Albany.

When did Twickenham get a tube station?

Pedant.

Okay, it isn't a tube station, its an overland line. But its often referred to as a 'tube' line (some of them do see daylight too you know) by many, purely because it's part of the greater London rail network.

In which case, telling him to turn left is not necessarily a good idea, as usually they dump people in the car park on busy days rather than leaving through the main doors. Turning left probably puts them on the train line.

Also, I know that after 25 years or so in and around London I am still a noob, but I have never heard anyone one refer to the various overground lines and stations as tube (well except for aussies, and they do not count). Heard lots of people, especially around Highbury Corner and Dalston, moaning they are not on the tube though.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 23485
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Jimpy Wed 22 Apr 2015, 8:50 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
Jimpy wrote:There's a good pub near to Twickenham tube station - The Albany.

When did Twickenham get a tube station?

Pedant.

Okay, it isn't a tube station, its an overland line. But its often referred to as a 'tube' line (some of them do see daylight too you know) by many, purely because it's part of the greater London rail network.

In which case, telling him to turn left is not necessarily a good idea, as usually they dump people in the car park on busy days rather than leaving through the main doors. Turning left probably puts them on the train line.

Also, I know that after 25 years or so in and around London I am still a noob, but I have never heard anyone one refer to the various overground lines and stations as tube (well except for aussies, and they do not count). Heard lots of people, especially around Highbury Corner and Dalston, moaning they are not on the tube though.

Pedant.

On leaving the station and turning left, passengers will not be dumped on the train line.

Jimpy

Posts : 2823
Join date : 2012-08-02
Location : Not in a hot sandy place anymore

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by LondonTiger Wed 22 Apr 2015, 8:55 am

As they will not be allowed to leave via the main exit, turning left will not get them to the albany. I suspect you will be drinking there and do not want hoards of sweaty Scots arriving Wink

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 23485
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Jimpy Wed 22 Apr 2015, 8:59 am

LondonTiger wrote:As they will not be allowed to leave via the main exit, turning left will not get them to the albany. I suspect you will be drinking there and do not want hoards of sweaty Scots arriving Wink

No but turning left out of the station ON THE MAIN ROAD, left down the steps and straight ahead will get you there - I promise.

As for your second point - that goes without saying!

Jimpy

Posts : 2823
Join date : 2012-08-02
Location : Not in a hot sandy place anymore

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by RDW Wed 22 Apr 2015, 9:03 am

Jeezo, it really doesn't matter whether a tube station is really a train station - I'm not going to arrive at the station and say 'oh well that is a train station not a tube station, I better not get off' and if I follow directions to the letter that would end up with me walking on the tracks I'm not exactly going to follow them am I??

I know some of you Englandshire folks think us Scottish folk all live in huts wearing kilts and blue paint on our faces, but we really aren't all that backwards - we have 5 TV channels now don't you know!

Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32185
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by offload Wed 22 Apr 2015, 9:31 am

RDW - I bet you're glad you asked for all this advice !! No doubt you are crystal clear and your day is now planned with military precision. Very Happy

If I were you I'd follow my instinct and just enjoy.

offload
offload

Posts : 2292
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 106
Location : On t'internet

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Jimpy Wed 22 Apr 2015, 9:42 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Jeezo, it really doesn't matter whether a tube station is really a train station - I'm not going to arrive at the station and say 'oh well that is a train station not a tube station, I better not get off' and if I follow directions to the letter that would end up with me walking on the tracks I'm not exactly going to follow them am I??

I know some of you Englandshire folks think us Scottish folk all live in huts wearing kilts and blue paint on our faces, but we really aren't all that backwards - we have 5 TV channels now don't you know!

Very Happy

Exactly!

Jimpy

Posts : 2823
Join date : 2012-08-02
Location : Not in a hot sandy place anymore

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by LondonTiger Wed 22 Apr 2015, 10:04 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Jeezo, it really doesn't matter whether a tube station is really a train station - I'm not going to arrive at the station and say 'oh well that is a train station not a tube station, I better not get off' and if I follow directions to the letter that would end up with me walking on the tracks I'm not exactly going to follow them am I??

I know some of you Englandshire folks think us Scottish folk all live in huts wearing kilts and blue paint on our faces, but we really aren't all that backwards - we have 5 TV channels now don't you know!

Very Happy

I gave some Irish lads a lift from Hounslow once, because they asked to go to the nearest tube to Twickenham - and so there they were. Those damn TFL employees can be real gits when giving advice.

As to which direction you turn, it will probably be neither left nor right as the temporary exit will bring you out opposite the road you need (probably). Mind the albany looks a poncy sort of place, perhaps ideal for the gentrified Embra folk.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 23485
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Jimpy Wed 22 Apr 2015, 10:12 am

LondonTiger wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Jeezo, it really doesn't matter whether a tube station is really a train station - I'm not going to arrive at the station and say 'oh well that is a train station not a tube station, I better not get off' and if I follow directions to the letter that would end up with me walking on the tracks I'm not exactly going to follow them am I??

I know some of you Englandshire folks think us Scottish folk all live in huts wearing kilts and blue paint on our faces, but we really aren't all that backwards - we have 5 TV channels now don't you know!

Very Happy

I gave some Irish lads a lift from Hounslow once, because they asked to go to the nearest tube to Twickenham - and so there they were. Those damn TFL employees can be real gits when giving advice.

As to which direction you turn, it will probably be neither left nor right as the temporary exit will bring you out opposite the road you need (probably). Mind the albany looks a poncy sort of place, perhaps ideal for the gentrified Embra folk.

I can assure you, it isn't poncy. Mind you, that would also depend on what you were used to, if that's your idea of poncy, the only way is up for you Whistle

Jimpy

Posts : 2823
Join date : 2012-08-02
Location : Not in a hot sandy place anymore

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by RDW Wed 22 Apr 2015, 10:13 am

I've done a little tidying up on this thread - the recommendations are all gratefully received, let's not start the bickering eh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32185
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by LondonTiger Wed 22 Apr 2015, 10:17 am

Jimpy wrote:
I can assure you, it isn't poncy. Mind you, that would also depend on what you were used to, if that's your idea of poncy, the only way is up for you Whistle

They serve polenta with caramelised lemon !!!!!!

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 23485
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by doctor_grey Wed 22 Apr 2015, 10:18 am

Just to add to the minutiae of detail regarding getting to/from HQ:  There are queues of buses simply to take fans to/from Richmond TUBE station to the stadium.  This is for the elderly, handicapped, obese, zonked, drunk, lazy, too young, pregnant, types who do not want to walk the 15 minutes.  Originally, I think the busses were free but now might be 50p or £1.  The buses are brought in only on match days (HQ for sure, not 100% sure about Quins matches) and are quick and easy, though likely are crowded.  Richmond has a lot of places to go and have a drink or a bite, catering to most tastes.

doctor_grey

Posts : 10622
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by RDW Wed 22 Apr 2015, 10:20 am

Rumours are that Edinburgh are going to be setting up a Fanzone at London Scottish before the game - will solve the problem of where to go for a pint beforehand!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32185
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by LondonTiger Wed 22 Apr 2015, 10:20 am

More seriously, for Challenge Cup visitors Twickenham "village" shoudl be fine, and will not be too overcrowded. Most pubs are much of a muchness.

For Champions Cup visitors would recommend Richmond. however as I now drive to Twickenham and no longer drink, my recommendations should be ignored

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 23485
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Jimpy Wed 22 Apr 2015, 11:03 am

LondonTiger wrote:More seriously, for Challenge Cup visitors Twickenham "village" shoudl be fine, and will not be too overcrowded. Most pubs are much of a muchness.

For Champions Cup visitors would recommend Richmond. however as I now drive to Twickenham and no longer drink, my recommendations should be ignored

Like the six years out of date ones? Wink

Jimpy

Posts : 2823
Join date : 2012-08-02
Location : Not in a hot sandy place anymore

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by RDW Wed 22 Apr 2015, 11:07 am

Given how many times you've said it that joke is becoming 6 years out of date Jimpy!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32185
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 22 Apr 2015, 11:18 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
I can assure you, it isn't poncy. Mind you, that would also depend on what you were used to, if that's your idea of poncy, the only way is up for you Whistle

They serve polenta with caramelised lemon !!!!!!

Sounds downmarket quite frankly...

Bathman_in_London

Posts : 2266
Join date : 2011-06-03

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by offload Wed 22 Apr 2015, 11:31 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
I can assure you, it isn't poncy. Mind you, that would also depend on what you were used to, if that's your idea of poncy, the only way is up for you Whistle

They serve polenta with caramelised lemon !!!!!!

Sounds downmarket quite frankly...


I quite agree. The Turks Head is doing a match day special of Pacific black line caught tuna, hand glazed with a tamari and manuka honey reduction. Delicatey balanced on an organic pearl barley risotto, with an English courgette flower beignet and teriyaki jus. You also get a free pint of Fullers. Book in advance though.
offload
offload

Posts : 2292
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 106
Location : On t'internet

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Jimpy Wed 22 Apr 2015, 11:54 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Given how many times you've said it that joke is getting repetitive to the point of annoyance Jimpy!

Given the levels of pedantry on this thread regarding the status of Twickenham's travel links, I've continued in kind and fixed that for you Wink

Jimpy

Posts : 2823
Join date : 2012-08-02
Location : Not in a hot sandy place anymore

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by RDW Wed 22 Apr 2015, 12:02 pm

Very noble of you Jimpy!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32185
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by LondonTiger Wed 22 Apr 2015, 12:05 pm

The number of visitors to London I have seen dreadfully lost because of almost accurate directions/instructions is innumerable. everyone knows that leafy Twickenham is actually one of the most dangerous places on the planet, and should you wander off the beaten track. Hell turn down the wrong street in a kilt, and they will have you signed up to the WI before you can whistle.

Anyway, sorry I offended you so Jimpy. I promise to never respond to another post you make, to limit any chance of offending you further.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 23485
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by propdavid_london Wed 22 Apr 2015, 12:19 pm

Twickers has plenty of nice enough Pubs, you just need to know where to find them -

Twickenham Green - there is the Albert (nice Thai food too), Prince Blucher and the Sussex for better beer. If you cut over the river and past the Stoop its only a 20min walk to HQ.

Church St - Eel Pie, and the Fox only 6mins or so from the Station.

Riverside - try the White Swan, its a bit more expensive but very nice when the suns out. (avoid the Barmy Arms as its always massively busy)

Plenty of good pubs in Richmond and there is normally a free shuttle bus on big match days.

propdavid_london

Posts : 3502
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 22 Apr 2015, 1:02 pm

It's the same as a lot of places though.

Travel out of Cardiff after game - Terrible

Travel out of Twickenham after game - Terrible

Same with a lot of the pubs, get off the beaten track rather than the normal watering holes and there are some great pubs in Twickenham and the same in Cardiff.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9962
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 55

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed 22 Apr 2015, 7:02 pm

Well, as you can't make Saturdays final, heading for London Scottish (Richmond's) ground prior to Fridays game will be fine. Enjoy the excellent members bar if you are allowed in.

There will be no bus service from Richmond to Twickenham on Friday night.

There is also a proper traditional boozer next to London Scottish - the Triple Crown. This pub does not go to plastic glasses or hike its prices on match days thumbsup

As people have said, there are plenty of eateries in Richmond

Hound of Harrow

Posts : 1452
Join date : 2013-03-31
Location : Wild, Wild Wealdstone

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by GLove39 Sun 26 Apr 2015, 2:31 pm

Question for you London dwelling folk, last time I was down that way I was in a pram, so guessing it's changed a bit since... What's the best way to pay for buses / the tube given I'll be there for a grand total of 28 hours?

GLove39

Posts : 3785
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 29
Location : Aberdeen

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by SecretFly Sun 26 Apr 2015, 2:48 pm

Buses? The tube? My, when you mentioned the pram, you really did mean pram, didn't you, and not a baby buggy.

It's Hover Mind-Ships these days in London. Wink

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Twickenham travel guide Empty Re: Twickenham travel guide

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum