The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VIII

+43
Eejit
madmaccas
dragon4life
Breadvan
Second Ranker
TheMildlyFranticLlama
21st Century Schizoid Man
Bored..
Tattie Scones RRN
demosthenes
IanBru
RDW
justified sinner
funnyExiledScot
InjuredYetAgain
lostinwales
CraigS1874
WhiskyBluff
GLove39
des
BigGee
MacKnocked-on
nickj
Welly
SecretFly
LondonTiger
Majestic83
Imperialbigdave
VinceWLB
cakeordeath
alive555
Weegie Wizard
cp10
prop_lyd
highland_scot
Nematode
George Carlin
tigertattie
jimbopip
TJ
EWT Spoons
RuggerRadge2611
47 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VIII - Page 11 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VIII

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 21 Apr 2015, 10:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Ye Olde Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VIII - Page 11 16267-War-zone_Soldiers_Vol_2_No_7
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
https://www.606v2.com/t56913p950-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo
https://www.606v2.com/t57946-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vii

A. Edinburgh
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VIII - Page 11 Goodsirsgentleman-250x287    

1. League Results  laughing

Fri 5 Sep: Munster Rugby 13 - 14 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 12 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 13 - 14 Connacht Rugby

Sun 21 Sep: Ospreys 62 - 13 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 26 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 20 Scarlets

Fri 3 Oct: Ulster Rugby 30 - 0 Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 11 Oct: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 10 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 31 Oct: Leinster Rugby 33 - 8 Edinburgh Rugby

Sun 23 Nov: Edinburgh Rugby 28 - 13 Cardiff Blues

Sat 29 Nov: Zebre 18 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 19 Dec: Edinburgh Rugby 48 - 0 Benetton Treviso

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby - 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Connacht Rugby 13 - 16 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 13 Feb: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 16 Ospreys

Fri 20 Feb: Edinburgh Rugby 17 - 20 Ulster Rugby

Sun 1 Mar: Cardiff Blues 21 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 7 Mar: Benetton Treviso 8 - 29 Edinburgh

Sat 28 Mar: Scarlets 15 - 26 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 24 Apr: Edinburgh Rugby 3 - 34 Munster Rugby

2. European Results  Yahoo

17/10/14: Bordeaux-Begles 13 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

24/10/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 17 Lyon

7/12/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 13 London Welsh

14/12/14: London Welsh 6 - 24 Edinburgh Rugby

17/01/2015: Lyon 21 - 19 Edinburgh Rugby

23/01/2015: Edinburgh Rugby 38 - 20 Bordeaux-Begles

05/04/2015: London Irish 18-23 Edinburgh

17/04/2015: Edinburgh 45-16 Dragons

B. Glasgow
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VIII - Page 11 567613710_l

1. League Results  Yahoo

Sat 6 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 20 Leinster Rugby

Sun 14 Sep: Cardiff Blues 12 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 20 Sep: Newport Gwent Dragons 13 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 26 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht Rugby

Sun 5 Oct: Benetton Treviso 23 - 40 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 11 Oct: Ulster Rugby 29 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 31 Oct: Glasgow Warriors 17 - 9 Benetton Treviso

Fri 21 Nov: Scarlets 19 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Sun 30 Nov: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 15 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 20 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 18 Munster Rugby

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 7 Scarlets

Sun 15 Feb: Zebre 10 - 54 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 21 Feb: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 16 Ospreys

Sat 28 Feb: Munster Rugby 22 - 10 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 6 Mar: Glasgow Warriors 26 - 5 Zebre

Fri 27 Mar: Leinster Rugby 34 - 34 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 10 Apr: Glasgow Warriors 36 - 17 Cardiff Blues

2. European Results  laughing

18/10/14: Glasgow Warriors 37 - 10 Bath Rugby

25/10/14: Montpellier 13 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

7/12/14: Toulouse 19 - 11 Glasgow Warriors

13/12/14: Glasgow Warriors 9 - 12 Toulouse

18/01/2015: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 10 Montpellier

25/01/2015: Bath Rugby 20 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

Hopefully this thread will keep GC off my back for a wee while... Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VIII - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VIII

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 May 2015, 12:36 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:She recently dropped the bombshell that the honeymoon is apparently meant to be organised and paid for by the groom.

I hope she likes Butlins.

Joking aside we'll probably do a mini-moon somewhere straight after for 4 or 5 days, and be one of those couples that everyone hates that asks for money towards their honeymoon instead of presents so we can have a probably holiday later in the year!
Bulletproof Suggestion:

1. Book room facing the water at:

Hotel du Lac
    Varenna
    Lake Como

2. Get a cheap flight to Milan.

3. Get picked up by Claudio(http://www.claudiobellagiocomo.com/) and get driven to the hotel via one of the loveliest roads in the world. (I would hope it's pretty obvious that this is a personal recommendation and I have nothing to do with the business.)

4. Happy wife, happy life.

The Italian Lakes is right up there on our list!

I might stop at the Limo hire though...

But that's the key bit - and it has to be pink and stretched......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VIII - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VIII

Post by RDW Wed 13 May 2015, 12:37 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:She recently dropped the bombshell that the honeymoon is apparently meant to be organised and paid for by the groom.

Joking aside we'll probably do a mini-moon somewhere straight after for 4 or 5 days, and be one of those couples that everyone hates that asks for money towards their honeymoon instead of presents so we can have a probably holiday later in the year!
Bulletproof Suggestion:

Hotel du Lac
    Varenna
    Lake Como

3. Get picked up by Claudio(http://www.claudiobellagiocomo.com/) and get driven to the hotel via one of the loveliest roads in the world. (I would hope it's pretty obvious that this is a personal recommendation and I have nothing to do with the business.)

But that's the key bit - and it has to be pink and stretched......

We still talking about the limo here?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 May 2015, 12:38 pm

...open to interpretation.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 13 May 2015, 12:49 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Bulletproof Suggestion:

Hotel du Lac
    Varenna
    Lake Como

3. Get picked up by Claudio (http://www.claudiobellagiocomo.com/) and get driven to the hotel via one of the loveliest roads in the world. (I would hope it's pretty obvious that this is a personal recommendation and I have nothing to do with the business.)

A limo? I think that you must be confusing me with another lawyer who frequents these boards...

Just a nice little Audi saloon. coffee
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 13 May 2015, 1:34 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I actually quite like that approach, and wish we had done it! I'd far rather throw some money into the pot for a decent holiday, than buy cutlery or plates from John Lewis!

That's the approach we are going for as well, mini break somewhere in scotland then have a proper holiday and get the wedding guests to chip in instead of presents.

I don't know about you, but this wedding planning milarky has been a piece of p!ss so far - don't see why everyone gets so stressed about it! We've pretty much everything done.

Well, I say we...

Yep been a total breeze so far, don't really see what all the fuss is about. Venue is booked along with the food, drink etc and not even been dragged round any wedding fares yet. I am slightly disappointed with this though as I was looking forward to lots of cake tasting! cake

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 May 2015, 1:40 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:By the way, Scotland season tickets on sale to general public later today: Italy (August) and England/France (6 Nations).

Don't all rush at once now people....!

The France game is a week after my wedding.  Luckily I have a rugby loving bride to be and she's happy for us to go to it if we're in Edinburgh!

Well some people must have "rushed at once", because there are virtually no seats left unless you want to sit in the Gods at the back of the North/South stands. I wanted to buy two tickets and there are literally no side by side seats left in the East or West stands.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Wed 13 May 2015, 1:41 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:

be one of those couples that everyone hates that asks for money towards their honeymoon instead of presents so we can have a probably holiday later in the year!

I've not been a fan of that at weddings I have been to. Though it is better than the ones who asked for money towards buying a house, practical as that may be...

One way of doing the honeymoon contributions that I have seen and quite like is through some websites guests can either contribute money towards your honeymoon, or they can add on extras for you - flight upgrades, champagne in the room, excursions etc. Seems a bit more personal IMHO if you sit down to dinner and the waiter brings you across a surprise bottle of Buckfast with a label "from Schiz".

Saying that, if my gf and I ever get married chances are we'll have a fit of pragmatism and ask for money too!

Food for thought Smile

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 May 2015, 1:42 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:By the way, Scotland season tickets on sale to general public later today: Italy (August) and England/France (6 Nations).

The France game is a week after my wedding.  Luckily I have a rugby loving bride to be and she's happy for us to go to it if we're in Edinburgh!

Well some people must have "rushed at once", because there are virtually no seats left unless you want to sit in the Gods at the back of the North/South stands. I wanted to buy two tickets and there are literally no side by side seats left in the East or West stands.

Well I get all my tickets through my rugby club so never have any issues! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 13 May 2015, 1:43 pm

You should get married in Lebanon like I did.

It's customary to open a wedding account and people just pay money directly into it.

And who was I to argue with sensible customs like that?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 May 2015, 1:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Well I get all my tickets through my rugby club so never have any issues! Very Happy

Well I find it distasteful that genuine rugby fans who play the game get priority over vulture ticketing websites and hooray henry's who just want to watch the Calcutta Cup each year, festooned in tweed and Barbour, and nothing else.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 13 May 2015, 4:48 pm

Well I'm on the train back from Glasgow, miraculously unstabbed. My friend who's another Fifer in deep cover in Glasgow took me to that Italian on the corner in St George's Square. It was lovely. The NDT roadshow I was at was pretty boring though.

Scotland season pass. Not for me this year. Even if we were playing well and had some appetizing fixtures Mrs Radge informs me these drunken rugby "jollys" have to be curtailed.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 May 2015, 5:41 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I actually quite like that approach, and wish we had done it! I'd far rather throw some money into the pot for a decent holiday, than buy cutlery or plates from John Lewis!

That's the approach we are going for as well, mini break somewhere in scotland then have a proper holiday and get the wedding guests to chip in instead of presents.

I don't know about you, but this wedding planning milarky has been a piece of p!ss so far - don't see why everyone gets so stressed about it! We've pretty much everything done.

Well, I say we...

Yep been a total breeze so far, don't really see what all the fuss is about. Venue is booked along with the food, drink etc and not even been dragged round any wedding fares yet. I am slightly disappointed with this though as I was looking forward to lots of cake tasting! cake

They are pretty disappointing tbh - if you do get cake it is a tiny slither. I got a telling off for taking what looked like a big chunk and ended up being 3 bits stuck together!

Defo organise lots of formal cake tastings with cake shops though - you get a good amount of cake then!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 13 May 2015, 10:58 pm

Interesting sounding job being advertised by the sru. Almost sounds like sean lineens! https://www.cloudonlinerecruitment.co.uk/SRU/VacancyDetails.aspx?VacancyID=7

Anyone interested?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 May 2015, 11:08 pm

That is a very specific role - you wonder how many people there are out there with that experience!

Not the best pay For that kind of job either.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 13 May 2015, 11:11 pm

Working on my application as we speak!

Think with it being such a specific role and criteria they must have someone lined up already. Dan Parks springs to mind!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 May 2015, 8:31 am

It looks like an HR / Recruitment role where you also have to have experience in rugby transfers.

As you say - they probably have someone lined up already. I wonder what Lineen will be doing - it does sound like his job.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Thu 14 May 2015, 9:03 am

Edinburgh Rugby wrote:
Solomons to continue with capital club

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/15/05/14/solomons-continue-capital-club

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 14 May 2015, 9:07 am

He probably deserves it. I'm not totally sold on him, but he's brought stability to the club.

Hope he brings in a backs coach for next season.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 May 2015, 9:09 am

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VIII - Page 11 Original

Definitely a positive move - gives him one more chance to get that top 6 finish and keep building the team.  Hopefully he can then ease a transition for the new coach - Stevie Scott coming to mind certainly.

Will also give him time to work out what to do with the backs...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 May 2015, 9:12 am

Majestic83 wrote:Working on my application as we speak!

Think with it being such a specific role and criteria they must have someone lined up already. Dan Parks springs to mind!
Maj - I am serious. I really hope that you are applying for this.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 May 2015, 9:13 am

cp10 wrote:
Edinburgh Rugby wrote:
Solomons to continue with capital club

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/15/05/14/solomons-continue-capital-club
Aces. 2016. He'll probably have a zimmer by then.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Thu 14 May 2015, 9:14 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:That is a very specific role - you wonder how many people there are out there with that experience!

Not the best pay For that kind of job either.

Yes the pay does seem very low, can't imagine for one minute Lineen has been on so little for doing his job, especially given that Johnson is reportedly on £250k. The job description does seem to suggest there is going to be a concerted effort to recruit SH players, possibly even more so than present?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Thu 14 May 2015, 9:16 am

Good news for Edinburgh as this season has been a huge improvement.

You still look as though you are only half way there. I've been a massive fan of AS this season but he needs to make almost as many changes this summer as he did last. It will be interesting to see how he gets on.

A backs coach is essential. Helu and the big lad from NSW look like good additions and Nasi Manu from the Highlanders is brilliant. So good signs so far.

Solomons still isn't confident in his young Scottish squad players, particularly in the backs. The last 3 or 4 weeks have seen the performances drop partly because he doesn't rotate at all. Hopefully this will change next season and we will see more of Hoyland, Dean, Farndale etc.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 14 May 2015, 9:18 am

Edinburgh's backline is actually quite easy to fix

1. Drop Strauss
2. Get a stand off - Even a youngster from a prem 1 club
3. Drop Strauss
4. Stop kicking the ball all day
5. Drop Strauss
6. Pass the ball so the wingers actually get it from time to time
7. Drop Strauss
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 May 2015, 9:19 am

1872 cup winner
Challenge cup final
7/8th in the league

It has certainly been an improvement. The first item alone would class the season as a success for me!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 May 2015, 9:21 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:1872 cup winner
Challenge cup final
7/8th in the league

It has certainly been an improvement.  The first item alone would class the season as a success for me!
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VIII - Page 11 Floggi10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Thu 14 May 2015, 9:22 am

EWT Spoons wrote:He probably deserves it.  I'm not totally sold on him, but he's brought stability to the club.

Hope he brings in a backs coach for next season.

Unless he is solely doing defence he won't bring in a attack coach.

Plus modern rugby teams generally don't have backs coaches. You get attack coaches who work on the attack plans and skills coaches who work on the passing and kicking.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Thu 14 May 2015, 9:27 am

Weegie Wizard wrote:
Solomons still isn't confident in his young Scottish squad players, particularly in the backs. The last 3 or 4 weeks have seen the performances drop partly because he doesn't rotate at all. Hopefully this will change next season and we will see more of Hoyland, Dean, Farndale etc.

Watched an interview with Solomons on The Daily Record Rugby Show. No mention of Farndale. He did mention Chris Dean and Hoyland as players he expects to step up.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 May 2015, 9:30 am

George Carlin wrote:
Challenge cup final
7/8th in the league

It has certainly been an improvement.  The first item alone would class the season as a success for me!

We won - accept it! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 14 May 2015, 9:38 am

You don't suppose this job being advertised is to complementSean Lineen? If he's coaching as well, maybe they want him to focus on that but still be in the background? This role might be a deputy to do the ground work like watching footage of players, finding out if they're even SQ...

Wouldn't be all that surprised if Farndale moved to Glasgow or the Championship next season.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 14 May 2015, 10:32 am

Just looking at the role profile and it's very specific.

I would have considered applying (not seriously) but the following essential criteria makes me suspect I’m not suitable for the role:

Direct experience of working within professional rugby in the Southern Hemisphere.
Direct experience of working with players and coaches in a professional rugby environment within the United Kingdom/ Europe.

In- depth knowledge and experience of professional rugby in the Southern Hemisphere.
Excellent local and international relationships and contacts within professional rugby including with clubs, coaches, players and agents.
Experience of working with overseas players and integration into new employment and communities in the UK.

Oh and the desirable experience pretty much totally rules me out with the following - Playing experience in Super 15 and
other high level tournaments.

http://www.scottishrugby.org/sites/default/files/editor/docs/files/international_resettlement_adviser.pdf

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 14 May 2015, 10:38 am

George Carlin wrote:
Challenge cup final
7/8th in the league

Not a bad artists impression of how the Edinburgh pack dealt with Glasgow.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 14 May 2015, 10:42 am

cp10 wrote:
Weegie Wizard wrote:

Watched an interview with Solomons on The Daily Record Rugby Show. No mention of Farndale. He did mention Chris Dean and Hoyland as players he expects to step up.

Hoyland certainly strikes me as ready for a chance, and Chris Dean cannot possibly be less effective than Strauss.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 14 May 2015, 12:29 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Challenge cup final
7/8th in the league

Not a bad artists impression of how the Edinburgh pack dealt with Glasgow.....

laughing

I'm glad Solomans is sticking around. He was a bit iffy to begin with but as far as I'm concerned he has turned our pack from a bunch of Jessies to one of the best in the league. One problem at a time. If he has sorted the pack this season perhaps he'll get the backs firing next year.

Just be sure to ditch the flair vacuum that is Strauss and you are already halfway there.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 May 2015, 12:35 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Challenge cup final
7/8th in the league

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VIII - Page 11 It-nev10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 14 May 2015, 2:55 pm

George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Challenge cup final
7/8th in the league

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VIII - Page 11 It-nev10

and it never will laughing
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 May 2015, 7:11 pm

The SRU have just announced the 7s squad will not be scrapped - the board voted unanimously apparently.

Good move!

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Thu 14 May 2015, 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 May 2015, 7:11 pm

The Board of Scottish Rugby today (May 14th) unanimously confirmed the national 7s team will continue to compete in the HSBC Sevens World Series.

The positive recent results by the team, heritage of the game in Scotland and incentive of contributing to a future Team GB Olympic 7s squad means Scottish Rugby will continue to support a national 7s team.

The current squad and management have today been informed of this decision. Discussions will take place with the 7s team and management following the HSBC Sevens World Series tournament in London to plan the structure of the programme for next season.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 14 May 2015, 7:23 pm

Well that is good news and a rare example of the SRU listening to public opinion. Hopefully a good kick in the man parts for Scott Johnson as well!

The sevens team are doing well and representing Scotland on the world stage. Why on earth would we want to think of getting rid of them. Sheer madness, thank god common sense has prevailed!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu 14 May 2015, 7:46 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
The Board of Scottish Rugby today (May 14th) unanimously confirmed the national 7s team will continue to compete in the HSBC Sevens World Series.

The positive recent results by the team, heritage of the game in Scotland and incentive of contributing to a future Team GB Olympic 7s squad means Scottish Rugby will continue to support a national 7s team.

The current squad and management have today been informed of this decision. Discussions will take place with the 7s team and management following the HSBC Sevens World Series tournament in London to plan the structure of the programme for next season.

Good news, but the release does strongly hint that it won't be business as usual and that we'll end up with a part time 7s team.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 14 May 2015, 7:56 pm

Why not just have EDP players in the sevens team?

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 May 2015, 8:29 pm

Nematode wrote:Why not just have EDP players in the sevens team?

Because the game has moved on do much that if you just chucked a bunch of kids into the world series they'd not be competitive.

And to be fair, all the young guys in the squad are EDP!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 14 May 2015, 8:51 pm

A mixture of EDP's and a few Pros from the teams filling in on occasions along with a few old stagers like Gregor would be fine with me. That model seems to have worked pretty well over the past couple of years and our performances have improved considerably.

The main thing is that we stay in the game, the two codes are not as dissimilar as some would believe and I really do think that it is a useful development tool for aspiring professional rugby players.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Thu 14 May 2015, 9:52 pm

Time will tell on the wisdom of keeping a 7s side. I am definitely in the "let's spend the money elsewhere category". I read somewhere today that the EDP players were having their hours and salary cut. Why? To help Colin Gregor boost his air miles for one more year? I would suggest that we would get money bang for the buck by supporting EDP players rather than the 7s team.
I have a feeling that this season's 7th place is a flash in the pan.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 May 2015, 10:23 pm

Surely the millions being spent on regional academies will ensure young players coming through are going to have plenty support and funding going forward?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 15 May 2015, 10:19 am

Hope you don't mind on this thread fellas. Planning on a day trip to Edinburgh (from loch Tay) in a couple of weeks. Any advice for a family of hapless tourists? Parking, where not to get ripped off etc...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri 15 May 2015, 11:06 am

Breadvan, if you're wanting a more relaxed time:
- *Arthur's Seat
- Botanic Gardens (free entry, but you get ripped off for food)

If you want a 'touristy' time:
- The castle esplanade is worth a visit for the views, but the Castle is extortionate. Tickets are about £17 for an adult, £10 for a child.
- Royal Mile
- Camera Obscura

Rainy day:
- *The museum (Chambers Street) - free

Other attractions:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186525-Activities-Edinburgh_Scotland.html

If I was you, I'd think about Arthur's seat and the National Museum for a start.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 15 May 2015, 11:12 am

Bred worth going up Calton for the views of the New Town, Old Town, Gardens and Scott monument. It's brilliant if you get up there on a nice day.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 May 2015, 11:12 am

Arthur's Seat is a lovely walk and well worth doing if the weather is nice, and a stroll down the Royal Mile (from the Castle to Holyrood Palace) is also very much worth while simply for the atmosphere (although the shops are obviously tourist focused and on the pricey side).

If the weather is duff the National Museam of Scotland on Chambers Street (5 minutes off the Royal Mile) is good for kids, and there's a cafe/restaurant on the top floor which I've not been to but have been told is pretty decent.

There are tons of good eating options in Edinburgh, from every chain restaurant you can think of to boutique cafes and restaurants. Rose Street isn't a bad place for finding food, and if the weather is good you can get sandwiches etc to take away to Princes Street Gardens (at the foot of the castle below Princes Street).

I don't drive in town so I can't help with parking, but there's an NCT car park on Castle Terrace which is 5 minutes from both Princes Street/Princes Street Gardens and the Grassmarket.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 15 May 2015, 11:38 am

All the various venues of the National Galleries are excellent if art is your thing, the cafe at Modern 1 is good.
Shopping in George St and Multrees Walk and Harvey Nicks for the upmarket/designer brands, Victoria St for the quirkier shops. Edinburgh Castle has lots to see and obviously great views. Really no end of things to do in Edinburgh.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next