The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faletau contract 'off the table' could this mean he is off ?

4 posters

Go down

Faletau contract 'off the table' could this mean he is off ? Empty Faletau contract 'off the table' could this mean he is off ?

Post by LordDowlais Fri 08 May 2015, 8:52 am

The Welsh Rugby Union has withdrawn its offer of a national dual contract to Wales' Taulupe Faletau after he missed a deadline. Is this a sign that he is ready to quit Dragons ? I really hope the kid stays in Wales, but for me this is a worrying sign that he may see his future else where.

http://www.planetrugby.co.uk/story/0,25883,3825_47894,00.html

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/32627787

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Faletau contract 'off the table' could this mean he is off ? Empty Re: Faletau contract 'off the table' could this mean he is off ?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 08 May 2015, 8:58 am

I doubt it. It is probably a mixture of frustration that he didn't snap their hands off and sign asap, and also getting the excuses in early for when they field Baker during the RWC warm ups/group games.

Faletau is a very honest person, and is in contract with the Dragons until the end of next season, he will most likely sign a NDC at some point next season.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Faletau contract 'off the table' could this mean he is off ? Empty Re: Faletau contract 'off the table' could this mean he is off ?

Post by LordDowlais Fri 08 May 2015, 9:01 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:he will most likely sign a NDC at some point next season.

I hope you are right. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 May 2015, 9:05 am

Your headline is rather misleading. The key thing in the quotes is off the table for now.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 08 May 2015, 9:14 am

I am just quoting the headlines Risca, but lets not let that get in the way of your agenda when it comes to anything I say on here. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 May 2015, 9:35 am

There's no agenda. I would just have hoped that you would be more than just a headline reader.

By the way, you aren't quoting headlines (plural), you are quoting a headline (singular).

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 08 May 2015, 9:43 am

BBC headline:- WRU withdraws offer of dual contract to forward

Planet rugby headline:- Faletau contract 'off the table'

I just chose the one that was easier to fit into the title, same meanings just different words, anyway, I am not arguing about this with you, if you want to keep trolling me on here carry on,I will just ignore you.

Now back to the topic, I hope Faletau does not leave Wales or Dragons.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 May 2015, 10:04 am

As I said, be more than a headline reader. That's not trolling, that's encouraging you to offer more substance to your posts.

Just because a deal is off the table "at the moment", doesn't mean it's dead. It also doesn't mean Dragons can't offer him a deal ourselves (much like we have before). There's no need to panic and suggest he might be off yet. He still has time on his contract, has already proven his loyalty and has a good family in Gwent that might be keen on him to stay again.

All this panicking isn't good for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 08 May 2015, 10:10 am

I'm not panicking Risca, I just think it would be a crying shame if he was to leave. For me if he does not sign a DC, he will not be playing at Dragons after next season, they would not be able to afford his wages, the only other region who would be able to pay him, and would find room for him are Cardiff Blues, but I would not like to see that happening either, but at least it would be the lesser evil than him going to Bath or France.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 08 May 2015, 10:37 am

This coming amidst rumours that Bath are willing to let Fearns leave a year before his contract expires and Bath have already loaned out another big 6/8 Sisi to LI for next season. They're making room for someone.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 08 May 2015, 10:39 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I doubt it.  It is probably a mixture of frustration that he didn't snap their hands off and sign asap, and also getting the excuses in early for when they field Baker during the RWC warm ups/group games.

Faletau is a very honest person, and is in contract with the Dragons until the end of next season, he will most likely sign a NDC at some point next season.

SS,

I would hope Baker gets a run out in those games regardless of whether Faletau had signed the DC or not.

I know the big stumbling block was the number of games he would be limited to but I do hope a deal can be done, not so much from a Welsh point of view as he will still be picked but from our (Dragons) point of view.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 08 May 2015, 10:42 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I know the big stumbling block was the number of games he would be limited to but I do hope a deal can be done, not so much from a Welsh point of view as he will still be picked but from our (Dragons) point of view.

Didn't the WRU come out and say the regions would STILL be saying how and when these players play ? I am sure this limit on games is still a non agreed thing, although I would have thought the WRU could step in if they thought the regions were flogging the DC players too much.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 08 May 2015, 10:46 am

LordDowlais wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I know the big stumbling block was the number of games he would be limited to but I do hope a deal can be done, not so much from a Welsh point of view as he will still be picked but from our (Dragons) point of view.

Didn't the WRU come out and say the regions would STILL be saying how and when these players play ? I am sure this limit on games is still a non agreed thing, although I would have thought the WRU could step in if they thought the regions were flogging the DC players too much.

Faletau would play every week if he had his way both Jones' have had quite a few debates with him when they have rested him so any limit put on him wouldn't suit, he just wants to play.

I think the limit is up for negotiation but like said for a player who would play every minute of every game I guess its frustrating to say the least.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 08 May 2015, 10:55 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I think the limit is up for negotiation but like said for a player who would play every minute of every game I guess its frustrating to say the least.

yes I agree, I know Ospreys have the same issues with AWJ, Biggar and Webb. These kids just want to play, but sometimes, I think, that they need people to tell them what is best for them before they do themselves a mischief. Funnily enough, Blues do not have that problem with WRUburton. Laugh

But I don't think the reason for him not signing is because of the amount of games he can play, that might be a little wide of the mark.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 08 May 2015, 11:08 am

I think it had a hell of a lot to do with it and with regards to Warburton he needs to be managed as hi gets injured way more than the others you mentioned.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 08 May 2015, 11:18 am

I do not think Dragons could afford to pay his wages on a regional contract, not compared to what he could get with a DC anyway.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 08 May 2015, 11:19 am

They can't that's why they have been trying to encourage him to sign a DC but with that comes the game limit and what's been a main stumbling block to him signing it.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 08 May 2015, 11:25 am

Well, if they cannot afford to pay him, then his eyes must have been turned by the opportunity of £££££. You cannot blame the kid, so if the worst comes to the worst, and he does not sign a DC because it means less game time for him, then I hope the Pie man goes in for him and keeps him in Wales.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 08 May 2015, 11:30 am

Why would he go to the Blues though, as well as money he also wants to be successful and play and the highest level.

If he goes then I don't think it will be to any of the other Regions, for me Bath would be seen as favourites given he good still live in Wales and be near family.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 May 2015, 11:48 am

If he was at all motivated by money he would've gone last time. He can't predict the length of his career, so if money was ever a motivation he'd have left. IF he does go, it will be because he wants to play at a higher level.

Why would he take a step sideways (at best) to Cardiff?

You seem quite privy to the Dragons finances Dowlais. How do you know what they can and can't afford? For a start two former Welsh internationals have retired in the past month, so that's a bit of extra cash on its own.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 08 May 2015, 11:50 am

Risca Rev wrote:If he was at all motivated by money he would've gone last time. He can't predict the length of his career, so if money was ever a motivation he'd have left. IF he does go, it will be because he wants to play at a higher level.

Why would he take a step sideways (at best) to Cardiff?

You seem quite privy to the Dragons finances Dowlais. How do you know what they can and can't afford? For a start two former Welsh internationals have retired in the past month, so that's a bit of extra cash on its own.

Agreed Rev clap clap
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 May 2015, 7:27 pm

I seem to remember a report a while back from the Dragons camp (at the last contract signing in August 2013) saying that they had signed Faletau without the need for help from the WRU (extended contract til 2016). It was around the time when the WRU were offering to part fund contracts to help regions keep players in Wales, and before the announcement of DCs, so doing it within budget was seen as newsworthy and a two fingers up to the wru. That was after the Lions tour when Faletau's value would have been at possibly its highest. So if we could afford it then, why can't we afford it now? Especially as we'll have a couple of players on DCs and so therefore off the wage bill to a certain extent. I don't think his value would have increased dramatically since then. If anything he's less of a force now than he was a few years back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 May 2015, 11:59 pm

Dowlais knows all about our finances, so I'm sure he'll answer.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 09 May 2015, 6:18 am

Griff,

I don't think he's less of a force but he hasn't had his best season, then again he's just Mr Consistent especially when it comes to Wales I don't think he's ever had a bad game.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down