The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Anthony Joshua too muscular?

3 posters

Go down

Is Anthony Joshua too muscular?  Empty Is Anthony Joshua too muscular?

Post by sittingringside Sun 10 May 2015, 11:45 pm

Something that gets mentioned occasionally on here with regards to Joshua is his physique. Although his herculean physical conditioning is no doubt impressive and probably intimidating for opponents, it is unclear whether he is in optimum boxing shape, in that some believe he is somewhat hindered in his ability to move fluidly by his bulk. The obvious comparison is Frank Bruno. Looking at the two of them, I wouldn't say Frank is any bulkier than Joshua, (although he was around 3 inches shorter), and Bruno's physique has often been partially blamed for his tendency toward stiffness and lack of head movement in the ring. Based on this, do you think Joshua is too built up, or do you think his natural shape or advances in sports science make him more suited to his present conditioning?

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Is Anthony Joshua too muscular?  Empty Re: Is Anthony Joshua too muscular?

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 11 May 2015, 12:52 am

I think Joshua simply looks more fluid. You watch Bruno, especially against Lewis watch how stiff his hab is, he throws a good jab, but its not varied in any way and after a while it can be found out by a good fighter... Like Lewis did... Whereas Joshua just seems sharper, faster and more mobile, for such a huge guy. If you follow him on Snapchat you'll see some of the things he's working on is flexibility, and he's genuinely working hard on it. One of the things Kovalev was criticised for was being slightly robotic, but he started doing Pilate's etc. For the Hopkins fight and seems to have done him wonders in terms of his movement seems a lot more springy in his step since.

So personally I aren't really too worried, in regards to Joshua's bulk, we'll just have to see if stamina does become an issue, but we know one thing is for sure, he works really hard on a variety of things and you feel that no stone will be left unturned with him in regards to his fitness. Think he's on the right path.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hands Of Stone Mon 11 May 2015, 9:55 am

Joshua is 6'6 and weighs between 235-240lbs on average
Wlad is 6'6 abd weighs between 235-245lbs average, i know he wins robotically, but in regards to hand speed foot speed and relfexes hes a fairly fluid boxer
Bruno was 6'3 and weighed normally about 23plns
Tyson was 5'11 and weighed about 215 lbs

Joshua is huge but he isnt bodybuilder huge or wrestler huge, he is athletic huge. So no, I dont think that his size will affect his fluidity and his performances so far suggest the same

Hands Of Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Mon 11 May 2015, 11:47 pm

Yeah my personal feeling is that he looks fairly athletic at the weight he is now. There is that school of thought that boxers shouldn't be hitting the weights too much, but times change and I imagine his conditioning is pretty well planned out given all his backing.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down