The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rafael Nadal vs Andy Murray Highlights MADRID Open Final 2015

+4
CaledonianCraig
Haddie-nuff
CAS
erictheblueuk
8 posters

Go down

Rafael Nadal vs Andy Murray Highlights MADRID Open Final 2015  Empty Rafael Nadal vs Andy Murray Highlights MADRID Open Final 2015

Post by erictheblueuk Mon 11 May 2015, 1:44 pm

Was it a case of Murray being so good or Rafa being so bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgKqsqrR-vU
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Rafael Nadal vs Andy Murray Highlights MADRID Open Final 2015  Empty Re: Rafael Nadal vs Andy Murray Highlights MADRID Open Final 2015

Post by CAS Mon 11 May 2015, 2:32 pm

Murray played about as well as possibly can play on clay, Rafa still gifted him errors that were very unlike him. No matter how well Murray plays he wouldn't beat Rafa 6-3 6-2 on clay unless something Rafas was doing. It was a mixture of a poor Nadal playing an inspired Murray which equalled a thrashing.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Rafael Nadal vs Andy Murray Highlights MADRID Open Final 2015  Empty Re: Rafael Nadal vs Andy Murray Highlights MADRID Open Final 2015

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 11 May 2015, 2:59 pm

CAS wrote:Murray played about as well as  possibly can play on clay, Rafa still gifted him errors that were very unlike him. No matter how well Murray plays he wouldn't beat Rafa 6-3 6-2 on clay unless something Rafas was doing. It was a mixture of a poor Nadal playing an inspired Murray which equalled a thrashing.

Cant disagree witth that Rolling Eyes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 11 May 2015, 3:03 pm

But isn't that the way of tennis? Nadal at best beating below par Murray in the past even on clay I include - it happens.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 11 May 2015, 3:28 pm

Just watched some highlights. Really good display by Murray. Looked to be aggressive whenever he could. Rafa seemed a step slow moving from right to left - that is, on to his forehand. A bit of oomph missing from the Nadal play at the moment. Still wouldn't back against him at the French, mind you.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 11 May 2015, 3:37 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Just watched some highlights. Really good display by Murray. Looked to be aggressive whenever he could. Rafa seemed a step slow moving from right to left - that is, on to his forehand. A bit of oomph missing from the Nadal play at the moment. Still wouldn't back against him at the French, mind you.

I still say it is all about confidence and consistency. Rafa came into the final having displayed some real glimpses of his former self (for the first time in ages), his confidence and spirits would have been lifted a little by that. However, he must have assessed Murray's form and known this was going to be a different challenge all together. It could have went either way - a slow start and nervy from Murray and it would have helped settle his nerves and further fuel confidence but he never got it. He was broken in his first service game but dug in well later in the set and perhaps Murray of old may have succumbed to the break points against him but no - he served himself out of trouble and held his nerve to win the first set and that must have knocked Nadal's brittle confidence and put him back to Nadal pre-Madrid mindset. Thereafter Murray broke early again TWICE and that was all confidence gone and Rafa was a dead man walking. That is how I saw it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 11 May 2015, 3:39 pm

What I cant quite get my head around at the moment is, apart from accepting that Rafa is not in the right place mentally, his lack of confidence yes.. but where has the power gone in Rafa's game, his fh is off, he is seemingly a lot better on his bh, but some of his shots get barely over the net, and mid court to Andy was like giving candy to a baby.. Andy snatched every opportunity to punish them. Rafa had moments of glory in that match but
more when he was at the net.. so unNadal

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 11 May 2015, 3:44 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:What I cant quite get my head around at the moment is, apart from accepting that Rafa is not in the right place mentally, his lack of confidence yes.. but where has the power gone in Rafa's game, his fh is off, he is seemingly a lot better on his bh, but some of his shots get barely over the net, and mid court to Andy was like giving candy to a baby.. Andy snatched every opportunity to punish them. Rafa had moments of glory in that match but
more when he was at the net.. so unNadal

That is just poor timing and again that is a confidence issue for me. He couldn't get the happy medium as some shots were going long by a metre due to him over-hitting whilst others struggled to reach the net from under-hitting.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon 11 May 2015, 3:51 pm

Don't think anyone would claim that Nadal was at his top level. However Murray played consistently well and was hitting with power which didn't let Rafa dominate as he has done previously. As Murray said himself he dealt with the bad moments well. The chance he had for a second break of serve at 3-0 in the second set and volleyed into the net gave me flashbacks to Wimbledon 2011. This time though Murray didn't let it deflate him and went to break anyway. He seems to be playing with good belief and with a good game plan at present. Taking into account his win against an in-form Nishikori in the semi it think it would have taken Rafa playing near his very best to beat him.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 11 May 2015, 3:56 pm

Not seen Andy play so freely and engage so confidently in rallies since 2y ago at least.

He was flying, had an answer for everything.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Mon 11 May 2015, 6:31 pm

Murray was on a mission. He could have beaten even Djokovic yesterday. That's the difference between the serious challenge Nadal faced vs Murray and his semi vs Berdych who posed no real threat. I think Nadal went into shock early and then lost composure bit by bit because he was again and again overpowered by a far more steady and consistent opponent. Yes, Nadal's already lost unexpectedly many times to other opponents. But yesterday we're not talking about him losing a close match but a rather stunning defeat. It's definitely a case of Murray having all the answers. And Nadal, perhaps being caught by surprise and dumbfounded, had no answers, not enough anyway.

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Tue 12 May 2015, 4:04 pm

Matchpoint wrote:Murray was on a mission. He could have beaten even Djokovic yesterday.

I believe Murray played well and took full advantage of a below par Rafa. I don't agree that he would have beaten Novak, as he's on a level above everyone else so far this season.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 12 May 2015, 4:09 pm

erictheblueuk wrote:
Matchpoint wrote:Murray was on a mission. He could have beaten even Djokovic yesterday.

I believe Murray played well and took full advantage of a below par Rafa. I don't agree that he would have beaten Novak, as he's on a level above everyone else so far this season.

I'd agree with that.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 12 May 2015, 4:12 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
erictheblueuk wrote:

I'd agree with that.

+1

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Tue 12 May 2015, 4:58 pm

Easy guys, I didn't say would have, a sure thing. I said COULD have, a theoretical possibility. Btw, Almagro just took the 2nd set tie break from Djokovic.  Wink

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Tue 12 May 2015, 5:18 pm

I agree that Murray took advantage of an off form Nadal, who was already relatively sub-par and "only" won the same final last year by default.

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down