The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland Rugby World Cup Bid for 2023

+12
MichaelT
brennomac
marty2086
LordDowlais
GunsGerms
Cyril
rodders
Notch
Breadvan
The Saint
SecretFly
Sin é
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ireland Rugby World Cup Bid for 2023 Empty Ireland Rugby World Cup Bid for 2023

Post by Sin é Thu 14 May 2015, 3:08 pm

A Bid Board has just been announced.

The Oversight Board will approve bid strategy, oversee progress, liaise with the IRFU and both Governments, and ensure the delivery of a 'world class' bid for RWC 2023 in Ireland.

Dick Spring, former Tánaiste and Irish rugby international, has been appointed Chairman of the Board.

Dr. David Dobbin, Group Chief Executive, Dale Farm and Chairman of the Management Committee of the Ulster Branch IRFU, has been appointed Vice-Chairman of the Board.

Brian O'Driscoll, the world's most capped international rugby player, has been appointed to the board with the title of Bid Ambassador.

Hugo MacNeill, who was Chair of the joint RWC Working Group, will serve on the Board. Hugo is a former Irish rugby international with a successful career in business.

Philip Browne, Chief Executive of the IRFU will be a member of the board.

Páraic Duffy, Director General of the GAA, will be a member of the board.

Shane Logan, CEO of Ulster Rugby, will be a member of the board.

To get you in the mood for a visit to Ireland:
http://www.joe.ie/life-style/video-this-new-failte-ireland-video-will-make-you-proud-to-be-irish/495873

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Ireland Rugby World Cup Bid for 2023 Empty Re: Ireland Rugby World Cup Bid for 2023

Post by SecretFly Thu 14 May 2015, 10:27 pm

I laughed when I heard who would be Chairman of the Board. But I suspect that's the last laugh that will be allowed from here on in.

The bidding process will be a bundle of laughs with Mr Grim Reaper Spring in charge of Enthusiasm and Joy.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Ireland Rugby World Cup Bid for 2023 Empty Re: Ireland Rugby World Cup Bid for 2023

Post by The Saint Fri 15 May 2015, 12:10 am

Don't bother lads.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 15 May 2015, 10:37 am

Dick Spring? Great name...
Hope it's a successful bid.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 15 May 2015, 10:43 am

Hard to know what our chances are. After Japan 2019 there will be an appetite to bring it back to rugby 'heartlands', which might mean the USA will be better off hosting in 2027. South Africa undoubtedly have more and better stadiums but have hosted before, giving it to them would be criticised in some quarters for that reason but still a very real option. Argentina and Italy look like great bids, Italy was very close to hosting in 2015.

If it doesn't go to Ireland I hope Argentina get it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 15 May 2015, 11:01 am

Breadvan wrote:Dick Spring? Great name...

Dick is the older brother of Donal Spring - a former Munster & Ireland Lock! (who was on the Munster team that infamously nilled (12-0) the All Blacks in Thomond Park). Donal is a solicitor who frequently represents Irish players at citings.

I don't know what Fly is going on about Dick Spring - former Minister for Foreign Affairs and Leader of the Labour Party - he would have a decent address book in the political world! Disliked intently by Labour supporters now though - is that it Fly?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 15 May 2015, 11:11 am

Ireland is a tip and the kiwis hate that sook drico. Logan is a total cowpat merchant so this has as much chance of succeeding as father ted winning the Eurovision with my lovely horse.

Should have got Rog, Bono, Christie Moore and Michael O'Leary in to lead the panel.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 15 May 2015, 11:25 am

Sin é wrote:
Breadvan wrote:Dick Spring? Great name...

I don't know what Fly is going on about Dick Spring - former Minister for Foreign Affairs and Leader of the Labour Party - he would have a decent address book in the political world! Disliked intently by Labour supporters now though - is that it Fly?

And what the hell makes you assume I'm a current Labour supporter? Shocked Wink  I shudder at the thought.

Do you remember him in politics though, Sin?  Course you do.  Maybe he's not alone actually, those Labour boys (and gals) do a great Theatrical Frown.  Frowning is supposedly 'Profound' and 'Serious' and possibly denotes a 'Better Education' than the commoner you 'Represent/Rule Over'.

But the one abiding memory of Dick Spring in Politics is the grim, frowning expression on his face for the entirety of it.  
"Vote for Me" - deep frown on Posters.  
"You should have voted for me!" - deep frown on emerging from the counting centres.  
"You're having it bad with them Fianna Failers" - smug frown of Intellectual superiority.  
"You're having it good with our coalition, you're just not intelligent enough to know it, yis bastards" - deep frown of contempt for the criticisms thrown his way in office.

The guy was never happy.  It was of course though Unpolitical to be Happy in the Labour Party - a tradition they hold with to this day. Wink

Ireland Rugby World Cup Bid for 2023 Rabbitte
Ireland Rugby World Cup Bid for 2023 Eamon-gilmore-st-patricks-day-trip-2-390x285
Ireland Rugby World Cup Bid for 2023 Imf-joan-burton-labour-leader-752x501

Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 15 May 2015, 11:37 am

In fairness to the guy, he suffers from severe back pain (from the car crash that finished his international rugby career when he was in his 20s).

Still, he got Bill Clinton to come over specially to play golf in Ballybunion  Wink
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 15 May 2015, 11:48 am

Sin é wrote:In fairness to the guy, he suffers from severe back pain (from the car crash that finished his international rugby career when he was in his 20s).

Still, he got Bill Clinton to come over specially to play golf in Ballybunion  Wink

So he's got a ....sort of.... excuse. What excuses did the other three have? Wink

Hope he does good work. Maybe in his older age he's lightened up. I certainly hope he allows his expressions to be open and warm during any publicity he might be involved in.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 15 May 2015, 12:06 pm

The country gone down the swanny?

BOD is there as the smiler Wink
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 15 May 2015, 12:17 pm

Sin é wrote:The country gone down the swanny?

I'm gone off BOD as a smiler a little.  He has too much energy now that he doesn't need to play anymore.  So instead he shoots from the hip with the lip.  He'll maybe quieten down a little when the excess energy calms down a bit, but for now he's certainly dropping nice bomblets down Leinster and Munster way as he love bombs the Frenchie sides.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 15 May 2015, 12:20 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Sin é wrote:The country gone down the swanny?

I'm gone off BOD as a smiler a little.  He has too much energy now that he doesn't need to play anymore.  So instead he shoots from the hip with the lip.  He'll maybe quieten down a little when the excess energy calms down a bit, but for now he's certainly dropping nice bomblets down Leinster and Munster way as he love bombs the Frenchie sides.

Thats what we need him to do - remember who is running World Rugby at the mo!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 15 May 2015, 12:27 pm

Oh Yeah....

Yeah!!

That's actually right. You're a smart one, Sin. He's probably been employed by the Bid Board quite a while before any of them was announced. He was getting early work in. Good man, BOD.

And I just remembered that I love the French sides too.....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 15 May 2015, 5:13 pm

Enda was love bombing Lapassat and Gospor the other day for the announcement of the Women's World Cup in World Rugby HQ on Stephens Green Smile
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 15 May 2015, 7:18 pm

Ireland won't get both the women's and men's tournaments.

SA, France or Italy would do a good job. France hosted brilliantly in 2007.

I still think Ireland's best hope is a joint Celtic bid with the other Pro12 unions. If they can sort out the Pro12 squabbles they could have quite a strong case and play on the 'Celtic' flavour.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 15 May 2015, 7:32 pm

Wales already have their WC, Cyril.  The 'British' one that's coming up soon.

So The Millennium yet again gets some World Cup games if they throw their hat in with the 'Celts' next time?  

It's like those damn travelling mercenary players, changing their allegiances to better their careers. Wink

No - I think we should just try and/or fail on our own terms as 'Ireland' - with an Irish Flavour.  I don't ever get over enthusiastic about Ireland doing the BIG events or looking for any.  But this one is doable and I think we'd pull it off with style and fun.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 18 May 2015, 11:21 am

Ireland hosting the womens world cup may strengthen the bid a little.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 18 May 2015, 11:39 am

I would love for Ireland to get a WC, and I would go to watch Wales play in a heartbeat over there, the only thing I would like to see though, is ALL the games played in Ireland, and no selling games for votes so that other 6N sides can play their games in their own country.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 18 May 2015, 11:49 am

LordDowlais wrote:I would love for Ireland to get a WC, and I would go to watch Wales play in a heartbeat over there, the only thing I would like to see though, is ALL the games played in Ireland, and no selling games for votes so that other 6N sides can play their games in their own country.

100% agree. An all Ireland RWC would be the best option.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 18 May 2015, 12:51 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I would love for Ireland to get a WC, and I would go to watch Wales play in a heartbeat over there, the only thing I would like to see though, is ALL the games played in Ireland, and no selling games for votes so that other 6N sides can play their games in their own country.

We be delighted to have you over Lord Very Happy ...with the court dictated gagging order and a Hannibal Lector Muzzle - just for Native safety Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 18 May 2015, 1:29 pm

Cyril wrote:Ireland won't get both the women's and men's tournaments.

I still think Ireland's best hope is a joint Celtic bid with the other Pro12 unions. If they can sort out the Pro12 squabbles they could have quite a strong case and play on the 'Celtic' flavour.

Its actually seen as doing the opposite, with the WRWC and the Open coming to the island in the wake of the Giro though it may hinge on GAA allowing some stadiums to be used and the Millennium will more than likely be needed

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 18 May 2015, 4:21 pm

SecretFly wrote:

We be delighted to have you over Lord Very Happy ...with the court dictated gagging order and a Hannibal Lector Muzzle - just for Native safety Wink

Laugh

But Ireland is a beautiful country, I would love to spend a few weeks there watching rugby,and it is not too far if I wanted to come home for a few days either.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Mon 18 May 2015, 5:28 pm

marty2086 wrote:

Its actually seen as doing the opposite, with the WRWC and the Open coming to the island in the wake of the Giro though it may hinge on GAA allowing some stadiums to be used and the Millennium will more than likely be needed

The GAA are fully on board for the RWC bid, GAA stadiums all over the island are part of the bid and the GAA Director General Paddy Duffy is on the board tasked with putting the bid together. Only question mark relating to the GAA involvement is the objections to the redevelopment of Casement Park by local residents

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Mon 18 May 2015, 5:36 pm

I wonder how the scheduling would work as this year the football All-Ireland final is on the same weekend as the opening weekend of the RWC.

Also, would the residents around Croke Park allow more games - will there be a Garth Brookes type fiasco again?

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 18 May 2015, 5:44 pm

MichaelT wrote:I wonder how the scheduling would work as this year the football All-Ireland final is on the same weekend as the opening weekend of the RWC.

Also, would the residents around Croke Park allow more games - will there be a Garth Brookes type fiasco again?

I can see it only being a problem whenever USA, Canada, Scotland or Ireland play really.  The Dubtoffs around Croke Park just don't like folks that love Country Music.  They adore de Rok'n'Rap of course as they are urbanite cool things.   They don't care how many concerts the other sides have, it's the rustic culchie sorts that annoy them - as Munster know only too well.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 18 May 2015, 6:05 pm

MichaelT wrote:I wonder how the scheduling would work as this year the football All-Ireland final is on the same weekend as the opening weekend of the RWC.

I think they said they said they would either move the championship two weeks earlier or keep Semple Stadium (the home of the GAA) for them. I think the GAA regard this as a great marketing opportunity for gaelic games.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Mon 18 May 2015, 8:09 pm

Sin é wrote: Semple Stadium (the home of the GAA)

laughing You are hilarious. If Croke isn't the home of GAA, no where is.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 18 May 2015, 8:29 pm

wolfball wrote:
Sin é wrote: Semple Stadium (the home of the GAA)

laughing You are hilarious. If Croke isn't the home of GAA, no where is.

The GAA was founded in Thurles - that is why it is considered the home of the GAA. All-Ireland's have been held there in the past.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 21 May 2015, 10:53 am

I like the idea of the alternating Hemisphere venues -
Places that I would really like to see the competition happen would be -

Northern-
Italy, Ireland, USA/Canada, back to France again
Southern-
Argentiana, Combined SE Asian venue,

The IRB still needs to cycle in the larger grossing audiances every other year just to keep revenue up.
Hopefully we will see other nations emerging as WC hosting contenders.
Rugby is big in some parts of Eastern Europe too.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 21 May 2015, 11:09 am

The WC in France was fairly stale. No party atmosphere. Irish bid is far superior and is probably the favorite at this point.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 21 May 2015, 11:16 am

GunsGerms wrote:

The WC in France was fairly stale. No party atmosphere. Irish bid is far superior and is probably the favorite at this point.
In your opinion, as a one-eyed Irishman Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 21 May 2015, 11:42 am

There is lots of justification for that opinion but not so much for yours. Were you at the France WC? Is your opinion of it influenced by a really poor England side making the final?

40% of voting members have already pledged their support of the Irish bid:

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-confident-rugby-world-cup-bid-votes-2111672-May2015/

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 21 May 2015, 11:45 am

I thought the French WC was fantastic - I was in Nante and Paris for games and there certainly wasnt a lack of party atmosphere.
Definately a French flavour......
Ireland could do just as well though. My concern is that 2015 will be lacking that - although to be fair the olympics did go pretty well.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 21 May 2015, 11:46 am

The Irish bid is far superior to Frances bid in 07 do you mean?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 21 May 2015, 11:49 am

GunsGerms wrote: Is your opinion of it influenced by a really poor England side making the final?
Nope.

Is your opinion influenced by Ireland finishing a distant third in their pool in that tournament?

Why don't the Irish like the French?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 21 May 2015, 11:53 am

As demonstrated by the recent visit by the Queen and at present Prince Charles I believe that Ireland's strengthening ties with the UK provides the perfect sub plot of unification for this WC bid. 1995 is probably the most historically memorable WC. I think an all Ireland bid potentially could be remembered for similar feel good reasons and will make this bid irristable for World Rugby.

The perfect storm is building for Irelands bid.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 21 May 2015, 11:55 am

Cyril wrote:
GunsGerms wrote: Is your opinion of it influenced by a really poor England side making the final?
Nope.

Is your opinion influenced by Ireland finishing a distant third in their pool in that tournament?

Why don't the Irish like the French?

If Im honest of course it doesnt help. However, I was in Paris for the tournament and you would barely have realised if you didnt already know that there was a WC in the city. That wouldnt be the case in Ireland.

It will not go down as a particularly memorable event IMO.

I love the French. I understood that it was more common for English people to dislike French people.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Thu 21 May 2015, 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 21 May 2015, 11:55 am

Problem being, Ireland's bid is basically a smaller version of England's (with worse weather).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 21 May 2015, 12:00 pm

Cyril wrote:Problem being, Ireland's bid is basically a smaller version of England's (with worse weather).

Smaller in what way? Being smaller doesnt necessarly mean being worse. Ireland is a smaller country but has a more sucessful team than England in the 6 nations in the last few years for example.

I think that a WC in Ireland could easily be more sucessful than an English one if you look at success holistically. I certainly think the IRFU is a better run union than the RFU so would have every confidence that Ireland's bid would shadow our beloved neighbours.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Thu 21 May 2015, 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 21 May 2015, 12:07 pm

Cyril wrote:Problem being, Ireland's bid is basically a smaller version of England's (with worse weather).

Be thankful, Cyril.  Us being here gives England it's slightly better weather!  In short, we cover your asses from the worst of the Atlantic fronts, yis bastards!

I think we could even go to the European Court of Equality of Weather and look for some serious fiscal compensation for not getting what all other Europeans do.  I must ring up Nige Farrage to put a word in for us.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 21 May 2015, 12:33 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Smaller in what way? Being smaller doesnt necessarly mean being worse. Ireland is a smaller country but has a more sucessful team than England in the 6 nations in the last few years for example.

I think that a WC in Ireland could easily be more sucessful than an English one if you look at success holistically. I certainly think the IRFU is a better run union than the RFU so would have every confidence that Ireland's bid would shadow our beloved neighbours.

In fairness to Cyril its about more than the teams and the unions. England have much bigger stadia, larger cities and a more expansive infrastructure. Theres no doubting that the work will be done to improve all of that.

The 2011 edition though would probably be comparable to Ireland for what the Kiwis had to offer, their advantage being the history and heritage that rugby has in the country

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 21 May 2015, 12:41 pm

Ireland's stadia are on average bigger than NZ's offering. They are sufficient for a WC. My point is that size isnt always the most important factor in making something great as demonstrated by Ireland in beating England this year.

How does NZ have a greater rugby heritage than Ireland? We have both being playing rugby for over a century. NZ's first captain was an Irish man and we have the oldest international stadium in the world (Landsdowne) and the oldest rugby pitch still in use (Trinity) in the world. Lets not sell ourselves short here.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 21 May 2015, 12:49 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Ireland's stadia are on average bigger than NZ's offering. They are sufficient for a WC. My point is that size isnt always the most important factor in making something great as demonstrated by Ireland in beating England this year.

How does NZ have a greater rugby heritage than Ireland? We have both being playing rugby for over a century. NZ's first captain was an Irish man and we have the oldest international stadium in the world (Landsdowne) and the oldest rugby pitch still in use (Trinity) in the world. Lets not sell ourselves short here.

The stadia are bigger but many of them are GAA stadia that don't necessarily meet the same standards and will require significant work to meet the levels required.

When I speak of heritage I mean the sport is the national sport in NZ, they have the ABs and have been one of the most dominant teams in the history of the game producing some of the finest most gifted players. Im not selling Ireland short just pointing out that there are gaps to be plugged and work done

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 21 May 2015, 1:00 pm

marty2086 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Ireland's stadia are on average bigger than NZ's offering. They are sufficient for a WC. My point is that size isnt always the most important factor in making something great as demonstrated by Ireland in beating England this year.

The stadia are bigger but many of them are GAA stadia that don't necessarily meet the same standards and will require significant work to meet the levels required.

When I speak of heritage I mean the sport is the national sport in NZ, they have the ABs and have been one of the most dominant teams in the history of the game producing some of the finest most gifted players. Im not selling Ireland short just pointing out that there are gaps to be plugged and work done

The upgrades will be done so really that is a non-issue. Some of them such as Raven hill have already been done. The English bid also uses non-rugby stadia, most of them being football stadia which also brings challenges.

If dominance was a factor then why did England get the 2011 WC? The answer is being dominant is a bonus but not a deciding factor. Its just one factor.

Holistically speaking Ireland's bid has every chance if being up there with the best.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 21 May 2015, 1:10 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

The upgrades will be done so really that is a non-issue. Some of them such as Raven hill have already been done. The English bid also uses non-rugby stadia, most of them being football stadia which also brings challenges.

If dominance was a factor then why did England get the 2011 WC? The answer is being dominant is a bonus but not a deciding factor. Its just one factor.  

The fact their not rugby stadiums aren't the issue, its the standard of some of the facilities. How many GAA stadiums are all seaters? How many have large rows of concrete as seats? The likes of Clones can hold decent crowds but wouldn't be up to the standards of a global professional sporting events

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 21 May 2015, 1:19 pm

I know that but the bid outlines the upgrades that will be made. Irelands bid wont go ahead if those upgrades cant be committed to. A lot of the stadia already had redevelopment plans in place too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 21 May 2015, 1:24 pm

marty2086 wrote:

The fact their not rugby stadiums aren't the issue, its the standard of some of the facilities. How many GAA stadiums are all seaters? How many have large rows of concrete as seats? The likes of Clones can hold decent crowds but wouldn't be up to the standards of a global professional sporting events

Large rows of concrete are what seats are usually bolted into.

But as for Stadiums. It's not the Football World Cup here. 20 teams. The very first thing the Irish bidding crew would have looked for is the viability of having enough stadiums of sufficient numbers to break even. There would be no bid if they didn't already think that bit is doable.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 21 May 2015, 1:26 pm

SecretFly wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Large rows of concrete are what seats are usually bolted into.  

But as for Stadiums.  It's not the Football World Cup here.  20 teams.  The very first thing the Irish bidding crew would have looked for is the viability of having enough stadiums of sufficient numbers to break even.  There would be no bid if they didn't already think that bit is doable.

Yes well said. I was a little worried re Casement park planning issues though I must admit.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 21 May 2015, 1:50 pm

In fairness now Cyril I think most of us would all prefer to be in Ireland than England, even in the rain.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next