The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs New Zealand - Predictions

+9
liverbnz
alfie
wisden
banyun
msp83
LondonTiger
VTR
kingraf
Stella
13 posters

Go down

England vs New Zealand - Predictions Empty England vs New Zealand - Predictions

Post by Stella Tue May 19, 2015 9:29 am

Just for fun, no prizes.

Series result - 1-1

Leading run scorer (Eng) - Cook

Leading wicket taker (Eng) - Anderson

Leading run scorer (NZ) - Williamson

Leading wicket taker (NZ) - Boult

Number of changes to the England team - 1

Number of changes to the New Zealand team - 0
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand - Predictions Empty Re: England vs New Zealand - Predictions

Post by kingraf Tue May 19, 2015 9:38 am

NZ 1-0 - draw is also smart money

Top scorer - Cook
leading wicket taker overall - Boult
Top scorer NZ - Mccullum
top wicket taker Eng- Anderson

Changes - England 3, NZ one
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand - Predictions Empty Re: England vs New Zealand - Predictions

Post by VTR Tue May 19, 2015 10:51 am

Series result - 1-0 New Zealand

Leading run scorer (Eng) - Root

Leading run scorer (NZ) - McCullum

Number of changes to the England team - 2

Number of changes to the New Zealand team - 1

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue May 19, 2015 11:46 am

Series result - 1-0 England

Leading run scorer (Eng) - Ballance

Number of changes to the New Zealand team - 1

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue May 19, 2015 2:19 pm

For all of England's problems, I don't think this will be an easy series for New Zealand. They do have a good bowling lineup, but their batting is suspect for me, and the core of their lineup other than Ross Taylor were busy in the IPL, not getting used to the conditions at all. and Taylor hasn't been at his best for some time now. So If Anderson finds some support from someone else, and if Root and Ballance can continue their good work and someone from the pack of all-rounders can score a few runs for more than an innings in a series, England can turn things around.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by banyun Tue May 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Series result - 2-0 NZ

Leading run scorer (Eng) - Root

Number of changes to the New Zealand team - 0

banyun

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Tue May 19, 2015 4:48 pm

Series result - 1-0 NZ

Leading run scorer - Alistair Cook (England)

Leading wicket taker - Ben Stokes (England)

Leading run scorer - Kane Willamson (NZ)

Leading wicket taker - Trent Boult (NZ)

Changes to England team - 0

Changes to NZ side - 2

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed May 20, 2015 9:05 am

Was expecting Duty to turn up with an injection of confidence ...but he must be off-duty - so its down to me Smile

England 2-0

Bell ...keen to head off the next round off "let's get rid of the ginger" - will score big.

Broad ...to show the value of some after hours consultation with Freddie and the Big Cheese...back with a bang .

Taylor (Bat) and Southee (ball) ...just to be different.

Maybe one change for England and two for NZ.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed May 20, 2015 9:15 am

Quite optimistic there Alfie. It's not misplaced, at all. Home conditions against a team that's prepared for this by playing some mercenary cricket. But 2-0 is still rather optimistic
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed May 20, 2015 1:56 pm

NZ 1-0

Top Eng scorer - Ballance
Leading Eng wicket taker - Broad
Top scorer NZ - Taylor
Leading NZ wicket taker - Southee

Changes - England 1 (Jordan out, Wood in for 2nd Test), NZ 0

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed May 20, 2015 3:06 pm

kingraf wrote:Quite optimistic there Alfie. It's not misplaced, at all. Home conditions against a team that's prepared for this by playing some mercenary cricket. But 2-0 is still rather optimistic

Yeah I know , raf

Actually taking the OP theme ..."just for fun". I agree it could just as easily be 2-0 the other way. Though to be truthful I don't expect draws unless the weather is awful ; so I reckon it will be either two up or two down (or possibly 1-1 of course)

The reason I favour England - apart from the fact that no-one else on here has predicted a big win for them so far and I like to be contrary Smile - is pretty much the old standby of home advantage. That and a hunch their batting might be a bit better overall.

But to be honest I'm just waiting to see what happens Thursday and nothing much will surprise me...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed May 20, 2015 3:17 pm

The chief reason why New Zealand might just struggle a bit is because their batting is suspect, particularly in these conditions. Guptill is coming back after a couple of years, Latham hasn't played in these conditions. KW and McCullum are fresh from the IPL.
So I'll give it 1-1, Joe Root to top score for England, James Anderson to take most wickets. Brendon McCullum to top score for NZ, with Tim Southee to take most wickets.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed May 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Fair points, but questions could also be asked about line up that fell to might of Holder Gabriel and Taylor.

Big series for Ben Stokes, I reckon. Just before an Ashes which I think England have every chance of winning, but they aren't a team without a few relative passengers. Two scores in excess of fifty in ten odd tests do not point to a future all rounder. While 20 odd wickets at an average of 40 and an economy closer to 4 than 3 doesn't a bowling option make. Even in a five prong attack.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed May 20, 2015 3:53 pm

kingraf wrote:Fair points, but questions could also be asked about line up that fell to might of Holder Gabriel and Taylor.

Big series for Ben Stokes, I reckon. Just before an Ashes which I think England have every chance of winning, but they aren't a team without a few relative passengers. Two scores in excess of fifty in ten odd tests do not point to a future all rounder. While 20 odd wickets at an average of 40 and an economy closer to 4 than 3 doesn't a bowling option make. Even in a five prong attack.

They are fairly poor stats so far but I think the ability is there for a player who averages around 35 with bat and ball (a solid return), with the capability of playing a match-winning hand in both disciplines. Patience required before we get there though.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed May 20, 2015 9:02 pm

One nil to the England - weather disruption is inevitable!

Anderson and Broad reaching the end, but have just enough to knock over the foreign enemy once more, perhaps? Ballance and Root to lead with the bat.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed May 20, 2015 9:22 pm

Series result - 0-0

Lead England run scorer - Joseph Root.

Lead England wicket taker - MOEEN!

Lead new Zealand run scorer - Brendan McCullum

Lead New Zealand wicket taker - Trent Boult

Changes - no idea
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu May 21, 2015 7:41 am

Series result - Eng 2-0

Leading run scorer (Eng) - Ballance

Leading wicket taker (Eng) - Broad

Leading run scorer (NZ) - Taylor

Leading wicket taker (NZ) - Southee

Number of changes - no idea.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu May 21, 2015 7:52 am

VTR wrote:
kingraf wrote:Fair points, but questions could also be asked about line up that fell to might of Holder Gabriel and Taylor.

They are fairly poor stats so far but I think the ability is there for a player who averages around 35 with bat and ball (a solid return), with the capability of playing a match-winning hand in both disciplines. Patience required before we get there though.

Certainly, the game has changed. If you can find a wicketkeeper who averages >40, you can fill him in the top six, and have a guy like Stokes in at seven, without doing too much damage to the line Up*

*Note I know Ali is actually six, and Stokes eight. But I reckon these are untenable realistically. One must go. Down the order.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu May 21, 2015 8:36 am

kingraf wrote:
VTR wrote:

Certainly, the game has changed. If you can find a wicketkeeper who averages >40, you can fill him in the top six, and have a guy like Stokes in at seven, without doing too much damage to the line Up*

*Note I know Ali is actually six, and Stokes eight. But I reckon these are untenable realistically. One must go. Down the order.

Sounds like a good mix - or a 6 and 7 who both average about 35, but score at a decent rate as I think that role for 6/7 is really important nowadays.

Of course you do have to look beyond averages a bit. Prior had a good average, but rather than building that from making a nice 50 n.o. on the back of other big scores to boost that average, he often scored valuable counter-attacking runs down the order

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu May 21, 2015 10:05 am

Series: 1-1. The uncertainty for England continues!
Runs: Bell and Guptil
Wickets: Anderson and Southee
Changes: 1 and 1.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri May 22, 2015 2:35 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Series: 1-1. The uncertainty for England continues!

Obviously I'll just concentrate attention on the Guptil prediction for now! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:03 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Series: 1-1. The uncertainty for England continues!

Well, I made a hash of the individual predictions but - as did Stella - got the series score right. With the Aussies about to pitch up, I just feared we would end up with as many questions as answers. As if that wasn't bad enough, some of the middle order did very poorly threatening to breathe life into the longest running soap opera in town!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down